main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Books Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker novelization by Rae Carson

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ancient Whills, Oct 4, 2019.

1. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    The TLJ novel was good, the TROS novel was brilliant. I could not sigh more at the TFA novel if I tried.

ROTS novel is of course the best of all novellizations.

2. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Agreed. And I'd even argue it about the ROTJ novelization too, as well-written as that was.

3. Jedi Comedian

Jedi Comedian Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2012
    Yes! The RotJ novelisation is brilliant - it was the RotS novel before RotS. Doesn't get enough love.

Chrissonofpear2 and Iron_lord like this.
  4. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

What's the RoTJ novel like?

Iron_lord likes this.
  5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Beautiful prose.

For an example - the Vader unmask scene:

It was a face that had not seen itself in twenty years.
    Vader saw his son crying, and knew it must have been at the horror of the face the boy beheld.
    It intensified, momentarily, Vader's own sense of anguish—to his crimes, now, he added guilt at the imagined repugnance of his appearance. But then this brought him to mind of the way he used to look—striking, and grand, with a wry tilt to his brow that hinted of invincibility and took in all of life with a wink. Yes, that was how he'd looked once.
    And this memory brought a wave of other memories with it. Memories of brotherhood, and home. His dear wife. The freedom of deep space. Obi-Wan.
    Obi-Wan, his friend ... and how that friendship had turned. Turned, he knew not how — but got injected, nonetheless, with some uncaring virulence that festered, until ... hold. These were memories he wanted none of, not now. Memories of molten lava, crawling up his back ... no.
    This boy had pulled him from that pit—here, now, with this act. This boy was good.
    The boy was good, and the boy had come from him - so there must have been good in him, too. He smiled up again at his son, and for the first time, loved him. And for the first time in many long years, loved himself again, as well.
    Suddenly he smelled something — flared his nostrils, sniffed once more. Wildflowers, that was what it was. Just blooming; it must be spring.
    And there was thunder — he cocked his head, strained his ears. Yes, spring thunder, for a spring rain. To make the flowers bloom.
    Yes, there ... he felt a raindrop on his lips. He licked the delicate droplet… but wait, it wasn’t sweet water, it was salty, it was ... a teardrop.
    He focused on Luke once again, and saw his son was crying. Yes, that was it, he was tasting his boy’s grief — because he looked so horrible; because he was so horrible.
    But he wanted to make it all right for Luke, he wanted Luke to know he wasn’t really ugly like this, not deep inside, not all together. With a little self-deprecatory smile, he shook his head at Luke, explaining away the unsightly beast his son saw. “Luminous beings are we, Luke — not this crude matter.”
    Luke shook his head, too — to tell his father it was all right, to dismiss the old man’s shame, to tell him nothing mattered now. And everything — but he couldn’t talk.
    Vader spoke again, even weaker — almost inaudible. “Go, my son. Leave me.”

6. Jedi Comedian

Jedi Comedian Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2012
    To quote myself from the General Questions thread:

The passage @Iron_lord shared is a perfect example of this kind of thing. As I say, in many ways it does what RotS did of really getting into the characters' heads years before Stover did it.

Jid123Sheeve and Iron_lord like this.
  7. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Reminds me of when someone said that the Prequels should have been Novels ;p

Iron_lord likes this.
  8. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    I think the radio plays are the better novelisations of the OT. If that makes sense.

Gallandro007 and Sinrebirth like this.
  9. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    That passage is incredible. Especially that description of Anakin... it fits. Particularly Anakin in TCW. And the wildflowers.... it makes you think of his picnic with Padme.

IG: @jedisufism

10. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    I really liked the TLJ one as well, it wasn't as good in retrospect in comparison but at the time I really enjoyed it.

Iron_lord likes this.
  11. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

So just to get some clarity because of theories going on in fandom

The Novel states that Palpatine already had a clone body ready to go by the time of Endor correct ?

Maythe14thBeWithYou and Vialco like this.
  12. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Ready insofar as much as it wasn’t entirely perfected yet, yes.

Vialco likes this.
  13. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Great!

That means that the creation of Snoke and Palp's Jr (Rey's Dad) is still in the nebulous timeline area.

Though I do wonder.

Could Palp's Jr come first and then theoretically Snoke come afterwards even further down the timeline. I mean Snoke only has to meet Ben Solo when he's Jedi Training and not necessarily when Ben is two years old.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2020
  14. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    With growth acceleration Snoke or Junior could exist at differing points, definitely.

Maythe14thBeWithYou and Vialco like this.
  15. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    I do have to wonder how long the Essence Transfer took. Was Palpatine waking up in a clone body while Luke was cremating Vader? Or did it take months or years for his spirit to arrive at Exegol. The novel isn’t completely specific, though the implication is that it’s instantaneous.

Certainly puts a different spin on things when you watch ROTJ. Knowing that Palpatine is actually alive, somewhere in the Unknown Regions.

Maythe14thBeWithYou likes this.
  16. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    I took it as he had bodies ready to go but they weren't perfected so as he's going down the shaft his mind goes instantaneously.

Iron_lord likes this.
  17. ScorpioGirl

ScorpioGirl Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 2, 2019
    Has anyone listened to the audiobook?

Marc Thompson's voice for Kaz (and yes, I know it was only one line) has got to be the worst. I know Kaz is a goofy character with a high pitchy voice, but Thompson made him sound like the goofy janitors from Monster's Inc! It's insulting! Kaz does not sound like that at all, and even if he does, he still sounds serious and normal during serious or high-stress situations! And considering what happens right before Lando's fleet arrives and what happens after, it's really out of place!

And even goofy characters from the 90s to early 2000s sound serious/normal in serious or high stress situations!

Is that really how people see Kaz? I mean, I'll admit he's annoying, but...come on.

I just feel like it could turn people off even more from Star Wars Resistance and any comic or book related to the show (if there ever are any).

AusStig likes this.
  18. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Kaz is human Jar Jar Binks

AusStig likes this.
  19. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    What a lovely passage. I was honestly moved by it... thanks for posting it!

Iron_lord and Sinrebirth like this.
  20. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    it might have just been because he only has one line, so Marc just went with goofy voice, and they moved on.

21. King_of_Red_Lions

King_of_Red_Lions Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 28, 2003
    I'm listening to the audio book of ROS now. I stopped reading Star Wars novels after the Disney re-set, and have only read a few in the new canon (TFA, TLJ, Ahsoka, 100 pages of the first High Republic novel.) I had a terrible experience reading TLJ - there were multiple typos and errors throughout - so I wasn't in a hurry to read the novelization of ROS, especially after the movie wasn't my favorite. I decided to give the audio book a try and I'm 26% into it now. The author transcribes the scenes from the movie exactly, with a few instances of getting inside the character's heads to give us a little more info. I applaud the author for attempting to explain some of the more ludicrous and nonsensical elements of the screenplay, but I'm not sure anything can be done about the plot. It is what it is.

I enjoy the sound effects and Marc Thompson does some decent impressions of the characters (Leia, Finn, Poe, Kylo.) His Rey isn't the best.

Lately, I've been warming to the idea of reading more of the new canon. I'm a fan of Thrawn, so if I do venture into the new canon more (most likely through audio books) I'll probably start with Zahn's Thrawn novels.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2024
    Sinrebirth and AusStig like this.
  22. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Yep. The new Zahn novels are great. IMO the weakest in canon is Thrawn Alliances. The thrawn ascendancy trilogy is IMO the best Star Wars trilogy period. (Although that might be biased it’s been over 6 years since I have read Bane and the original Thrawn trilogy.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  23. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    Marc Thompson does a pretty great job with the Thrawn novels. I don’t particularly like the harsh German baroness voice he gives Ar’alani, but otherwise he manages to give another layer of personality to the characters in those books. The voice he gives Jixtus is ASMR worthy.

24. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Oh that reminds me. There is an alien character I think in the second or third book that he gives the most grating voice ever. I think the characters name sounds like Nakarin

25. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    Nakirre, yeah.The cult-y secondary villain of the third book.

Thompson’s done a bit of work in anime, so he knows how to do some pretty wild voices. Though I’ve listened a couple of audiobooks that sort of do a compromise between a single narrator and a full cast, with a narrator doing the voice of the protagonist and the primary prose narration, another to do secondary characters and a third to do all the feminine voices. I’d love to see Star Wars adopt that approach, though I’m sure it’s probably cost-prohibitive.

Sturm Antilles likes this.