main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Books Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker novelization by Rae Carson

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ancient Whills, Oct 4, 2019.

1. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    I haven’t read any of Carson’s novels, only one short story. I hope that she sets a high bar with this one. To be honest, most of my reason for reading this novel is to gain information and to expand what we were shown in the movie. As long as some questions are answered, I’ll be happy.

Maythe14thBeWithYou likes this.
  2. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    I read Most Wanted it was a YA and ok. I'm hoping this one is good because I too want further explanations on stuff, i.e. Leia training as a Jedi that was talked about for a minute.

Dannik Jerriko likes this.
  3. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    Star Was Fans always: Woah this title sounds so epic it will answer all the questions we ever had.

On release day: It answers one question you ever had and 3 you never even had or needed.

Next announcement, SW Fans: Wow I can't wait to finally know all the answers!

Me: :rolleyes::oops:

Disney/LFL: 8-}

4. DarthInternous

DarthInternous Editor - Del Rey Star Wars star 3 VIP

Feb 7, 2017
    It'll answer more than one question, that I can promise.

5. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
  6. DarthInternous

Feb 7, 2017
    Play your sabacc cards right and it might answer even more than that.

7. Xammer

Xammer Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2009
    From what I've seen, questions do eventually get answered, but slower than people would expect.

Voltron64 likes this.
  8. DarthInternous

Feb 7, 2017
    I'll note this here since the overlap with Twitter is not 100%. On Friday, February 28th I will be hosting a Star Wars Books panel with author Rae Carson at C2E2. Among other things, we'll discuss the novelization of The Rise of Skywalker. I'm open to collecting some questions to ask Rae on the panel, so if anyone would like to submit one, they are welcome to.

(There will not be an open Q&A at the panel itself. And of course, suggesting a question does not guarantee that I will ask it. Though if I do I will make every effort to acknowledge people.)

9. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    Idiot's Array, what do I get?

Oh please link us to it or any answers once done with it. Or if there is a youtube vid of the panel. Anything for those not attending.

Questions:

- How did she decide about which scene to be depicted through which character's pov?

- Any obscure references, connections or lore callbacks she planted in the book? Like may we get some references to Mortis or similiar stuff as the Rise of Skywalker Visual Dictionary has aplenty.

- Which scenes did she expand and how much expansion is her own story, how much did come from storygroup or unused/cut movie scenes?

- How was the writing process regarding last minute changes to the movie and the book needing to adapt to those (like when the cutting room switches round scenes and the book chronology needs to account for that)?

Sinrebirth and SWpants like this.
  10. KerkKorpil

KerkKorpil Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 7, 2016
    My question:

What’s the difference in scope, hours invested (and of course pressure) when writing a movie novelization versus a “regular” tie-in book such as “Most Wanted”?

Korpil
    http://sequart.org/books/47

11. Maythe14thBeWithYou

May 26, 2014
    How much will detail will she go in to on the explanation of Leia's brief history of her Jedi training?
    Will we see more of Rey's training?
    Will we hear more about Jannah?

Sinrebirth likes this.
  12. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Idiot's Array, huh? Clearly a cheat, disintegrate him.

13. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Questions for the author:
    - How will you deal with the fate of Nien Nunb and the Tantive IV since the actor said his character survived?
    - Will we get to know where Norra Wexley, Kare Kun, Shriv Suurgav, Zay Meeko, Yendor and others from Rebecca Roanhouse's Resistance Reborn are during the events of the film?
    - You going to touch on what happened to the fleet the Resistance had that fought against the Finalizer over Battuu during the events of the Galaxy's Edge event?
    - You going to spill who is flying the Ghost during the Battle of Exegol?

14. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    That should remain a mystery until (if) it's revealed in a future animated series.

15. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    I still want the Ghost's story during Rogue One.

16. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I want to see how Sabine and Zeb joined the Ghost.

Daneira likes this.
  17. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Yeah wouldn't mind that myself

18. Maythe14thBeWithYou

May 26, 2014
    I didn't read RR but will (and Black Spire) before this book. I was reading a book I hated (and I'm a pretty generous reviewer). It was non-SW.

19. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I wish Lit had a thread to discuss non-SW books. Just one thread. I passed the idea back two mod generations ago and was told no, go use the JCC one. But the JCC is sort of... its own clique.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    Darth_Duck, JediFett10 and KerkKorpil like this.
  20. Maythe14thBeWithYou

May 26, 2014
    Oh the book wasn't worth talking about. It was an older book, like way older.

21. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    You could try asking again. There is a precedent - we have a non-SW collectibles thread in Collecting.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  22. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    I mean, a "Ghost" novel spanning the life of the ship would be kind of even cooler then the "Falcon" one... more actual key storytelling blanks to fill in involving know characters and all that.

23. The Raddinator

The Raddinator Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 18, 2017
    I'll bite! Not plot-specific but:

Are there any particular scenes you had to rewrite or rethink after actually seeing the movie rather than just reading the script? I remember Jason Fry talking about how he had written Rey unhappy with the rain on Ach-To but then his perspective was totally changed by seeing her delight in the film, and I always enjoyed that detail.

24. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    My question is

Who were your favourite characters to write about and why?

25. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018