main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Books Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker novelization by Rae Carson

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ancient Whills, Oct 4, 2019.

1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Amazon UK have a new date for the book release as well. It was March 3 but is now March 19.

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  2. DarthInternous

DarthInternous Editor - Del Rey Star Wars star 3 VIP

Feb 7, 2017
    @Darth Corydon Can you tell me where you were ordering the book from (country, not retailer)? The book isn't delayed so I'd like to dig into that a bit more.

Yes, @LAJ_FETT - as you well know, UK release dates are on Thurs, so they're just adjusting to match the new release window of the US edition (March 17th)

3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Thanks, DI! Amazon UK has March 19 for the Audible release as well.

4. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
  5. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    @DarthInternous oh I wasn't ordering it myself I just got that screen shot off of the reddit thread about it

6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I had a message like that on Dooku Jedi Lost from Google Play, best guess at the time was it's a rights issue.

7. DarthInternous

DarthInternous Editor - Del Rey Star Wars star 3 VIP

Feb 7, 2017
    Not a rights issue at all.

Until we know the territory people are getting this message from, we can't say exactly why this happened. Could be a few things, all of which are easily solvable. Once we have more info I'll update when I can.

8. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Just need to use a Jedi mind trick, right? ;)

9. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Why so late? ROTS came out with or maybe even before the movie. But it was based on the script before the reshoots and re-edit. Maybe the TROS novel is based upon the reshoots and re-edit and they were pretty late.

Vialco likes this.
  10. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    The ST books have come out a few months after the films. DVD tie-in, possibly? I know the 'Art of' book for TRoS is due out at the end of March as well. (Date from Amazon UK).

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  11. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Damn it. I had a question during the film and lost it before I logged in.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  12. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
  13. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    This scene makes so much more sense in the book than it did in the film. If Carson does this with every scene, it will be very good and much better than the movie. Can't wait to read the Palpatine scenes.

14. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Well up goes my excitement level.

This is going to be my misters first Star Wars Book; he has decided.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
    Grievousdude and KerkKorpil like this.
  15. Xammer

Xammer Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2009
    So we got confirmation that the Palpatine broadcast was the one from Fortnite.

16. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    I still feel like Carsons style adds nothing and feels less epic than the movie there. The Oracle itself was.. no oracle at all and could have been replaced by a wooden sign with an arrow pointing to the target... with the scene setup i expected way more dialogue and a trial of sorts or vision or at least some talk giving depth and context to past prophecies or visions.

Did they alter original dialogue of this cutscene for the book to "keep it in" even if no longer relevant to the movie? Feels like that and makes me wonder if it will be on the bluray at all.

Now all we are left with is waiting till Marvel shows Vader's relation to that creature and wayfinder... bummer. At least I hope it won't be Marvel doing that... they have a trackrecord of failing epically to deliver.

beetzello and Vialco like this.
  17. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    So I really liked TROS, but I have to say that excerpt already fixes one of my major problems with the movie. The introduction of Palpatine was too abrupt. That scene already makes the plot point feel more organic. Now if Carson can give Finn and Rose more of a story arc, this will be awesome.

18. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    Agreed and I liked the Hux and Pryde povs in this one though I expected Kylos for that scene.

19. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    Add on:

The Eye of Webbish Bog... aka Oracle:

Eye obviously is a reference to allseeing oracle eyes.
    Webbish = web = The Force
    Bog = not just the english word bog but short for Bogan aka the Dark Side of the Force.

Thus: Eye of Webbish Bog = Eye/Oracle of the Dark Side of the Force !!!

Interesting enough the text describes both creatures symbiosis as necessary for both to live, yet at the same time goes into detail that the giant baby is in pain and that it is more a parasitic bond than a true symbiosis. Screams very dark side to me indeed. The Force has a natural dark side and needs it for balance, yet there is a parasitic element to it if it is out of balance, feeding on life (as the Duel of the Fates script elaborated on in more detail via Tor Valum, the origin of the Oracle in later scripts).

Pity we neither get species names for both creatures nor any approximate age.

While it is interesting to see this diverse bogland on Mustafar, we assumed it is a recent addition only given Vader Immortal pulled a DUNE and began the slow process of turning Mustafar green again, healing the planet. Yet if this creature is far older, ancient even, this area must have been way older too and not related to the Vader Immortal improvements, merely maybe improved most compared to other areas but not totally a new thing either. The colonists were a new development though as per VD and their tree planting. So was the lake new too or already there? Do the creatures need it to live and survive? Are they the last of their kind or even original Mustafarians before the changes the Sith brought to the planet in ancient times back when its orbit had been altered in wars against the native Jedi? Was the Oracle once, if THAT old, a good / neutral oracle that only due to the Sith presence became a Dark Side Oracle? Or did Vader transplant it there from somewhere else?

Also, novels showed Palpatine did not know Exegol at some point, especially fearing the dark call from the Unknown Regions. Same source mentioned Vader could not sense the call he did. Yet here both had Wayfinders and probably used them once or visited Exogol. How did they obtain them and when? And why did the Emperor involve Vader? Did he maybe send Vader to check it out fearing going himself, given he built countless observatories to look out for it and other dangers and paths into the Unknown Regions? Guess it ties into Ezra and Thrawns adventures once more somehow in the Unknown.

My Want list got new additions now:
    -IDW: Tales from Vader's Castle by IDW in for a third round of halloween content feat. the Graf Family AND a certain Oracle?
    -ILM: Vader Immortal IV: Aftermath ILM xLab VR experience feat. a certain oracle and new locations
    -Marvel: Darth Vader and the Eye of Webbish Bog Tpb
    -Lit: Star Wars: Contingency, a novel dealing with plans within plans and Palpatines story starting at the end of his apprenticeship to Darth Plagueis leading through alot of quick moments through all movies and eras to his death in ROTJ and Return and ultimate Revenge on Exegol, written by Luceno!!! (and referencing heavily the Legends Darth Plagueis novel recanonising a lot of it)
    -Dan Wallace inuniverse guide: A Sith Cultists Guide to Mustafar, Exegol and beyond!
    -Jason Fry: Essential Atlas Online Update: Disney canon with all placements
    -FFG: The Rise of Skywalker: A Sequel Era Sourcebook (with stats for "All the Sith" vs. "All the Jedi"!!!)

20. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    "The Eye of Webbish Bog"

[​IMG]

STOP TRYING TO ALBINO CYCLOPS AND GIVE ME ALBINO CYCLOPS!!!

(Cole is being much more eloquent about this sad deleted scene... it was the one I was most looking forward to. I guess yeah, it was kinda unnecessary. But... honestly I would have loved a super trippy Dark Crystal-type film to the predictable cut and dry film we got.)

21. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I can see if it was cut for pacing if all the Oracle does is point to the the box where the wayfinder is in and you want to get to Sidious and have him be the first line of the movie. Although having Palpatine's transmission verbatim from the Fortnite event (It was probably definitely recorded for the film and dropped I'm thinking) how has me continually thinking of the Fortnite players jumping 20 feet in the air as it plays which will be burned into my brain (and to be fair, we do have two Force users in TROS jumping 20 feet in the air anyway)

22. T7-01

T7-01 Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 11, 2016
    I don't know what to think about it. I think it's a pity Kylo never visited Vader's castle. That would've been really cool. Even though he adores Vader so much, there were hardly any interesting thoughts or feelings in that preview.

The thing with the two creatures feels pretty pointless. Let's see how Vader relates to them.

23. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    The excerpt reads as if some black rocks near the lake are from the castle, its remains... so what happened to it? How and when did it get destroyed? By whom? why?

24. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Maybe Palpy ordered it destroyed after Vader's death? Or Snoke, to avoid it becoming a place for a 'Cult of Vader' to rise up? Just guessing..

25. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013

Nice point, part of the contingency?

Maybe Palpatine tried to get Vaders Wayfinder and could not find it so he axed the castle believing it somewhere within while Vader hid it outside via Oracle! Ha! Vader prepared for cultists to find/guard it? Did he suspect the Emperor using Exogols power against him? Did he prepare to thwart any such attempt?

Sinrebirth likes this.