main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Books Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker novelization by Rae Carson

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ancient Whills, Oct 4, 2019.

1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    The idea that Sheev became a recluse following the declaration of the Empire goes all the way back to the 1976 novelization. Maybe he was devoting his time to finding Exegol?

2. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    You can me Ray.

3. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011

2 key moments already leaked.

Grievousdude likes this.
  4. ImpKnight

ImpKnight Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2008
    When does the BDSM fanfiction spinoff come out?

5. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    That's been coming out since 2015.

6. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    At least Rey used protection...

7. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    Don't know whether this actually needs a spoiler tag but anyway

Seems Finn's force sensitivity is more than just implied now.

8. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Some answers about Palpatine.

Daneira, ColeFardreamer and Iron_lord like this.
  9. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    I thought the film made it obvious it was a clone body, personally.

But then I've actually read Dark Empire, so ya know...

Meanwhile, I sit and watch as SWLeaks is brigaded by the Salty crowd again and shrug at how we all got here.

10. Grievousdude

Jan 27, 2013
    I interpreted it as his body was reborn in the state it was in when he died, and the Cultists preserved it using Cloning technologies. That fits with Beaumont's line "Dark science, cloning, secrets only the Sith knew."

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
  11. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    God’s that Reddit is awful.

Please do keep spoilers behind tags.

12. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    Leaks itself is tolerable, but lately it's been brigaded by the usual suspects who are now quickly becoming mindless zombies of the borederline alt-right hate-tube culture. The trilogy has issues, but it's pretty sad to see the way people behave in these fandoms now. I'd argue it's worse than even the height of the PT hate days.

13. ImpKnight

Jun 16, 2008
    I really don't see that on the leaks sub. It has definitely become more negative since TROS(before TROS leaks it was automatic downvotes for any negative comments), but that seems overwhelmingly due to angry Reylos/Ben fans being mad about TROS's ending.

14. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    Oh boy... one half is reylos not happy because they got what they wanted but not how they wanted it and the other half is angry because Reylos got at least half and they nothing.

15. Grievousdude

Jan 27, 2013
    Frankly I'm surprised people expected Ben to actually survive the movie. In following Vader's path his death always seemed inevitable to me. The marketing for the movie even had the classic Luke v Vader poster remade with Rey and Kylo, which seemed a pretty big hint to me at the time, and was proven to be correct.

Sinrebirth and ImpKnight like this.
  16. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Surprised there is no leak over the fate of the Tantive IV during the battle.

17. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Twitter and reddit are having a freak-out and screaming at Lucasfilm about the revelation Palpatine was a clone like they didn't see what was obvious and doesn't need an explanation. Their blind hatred is clear that they were blind to this. But haters gonna hate.

I value their opinion as much as I value the opinions of Prequel haters of 1999-2005 who then proceeded to ruin the actors' lives and the ROTJ haters. Over it. Totally over it.

18. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    In the context of the movie, I didn’t really care about how Palps came back, anyway. The mystery surrounding the fact he came back from the dead and the overall “it doesn’t really matter how, it happened” attitude the movie presented made it a little creepier.

what im actually happy about is Plagueis is explicitly called Palps master in the book and that Palpatine learned the secret of eternal life from him.

I sort of had this weird feeling new canon was veering away from that because Plagueis was never explicitly called his master in ROTS, and the “tor Valium” leaks

Darth Caliban and Iron_lord like this.
  19. Xammer

Xammer Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2009
    Er, but don't they say 'cloning' in the movie itself?

Not really, the dotf script calls Tor Valum his master's master, not his master.

20. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    This fandom can be hard to be a part of sometimes.

KyleKartan likes this.
  21. ImpKnight

Jun 16, 2008
    Isn't that all twitter does?

22. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    With clones and all,.. who is behind both Snoke and Palpatines clones?
    I feel like someone is out there responsible and unaccounted for! Tor Valum?

Tor Valum seems not a Banite lineage Darth but more a general teacher and keeper of the flame that trains them all at some point, content with doing that instead of ruling. Does he do that so he can control them all though? Or because he is too weak to topple them and rule himself, yet it is his survival strategy to be the essential failsafe that keeps the lineage alive via teaching and cloning? I wonder what was the true idea behind his character there? Lack of a Darth name and all!

Did Plagueis, when he could save loved ones from dying, love Tor Valum? Save him? From who? Palpatine?

Given Palpatine did not know Plagueis secret for a long time and seek it yet fear something or someone out there, when did he learn it? Post death when
    he was resurrected by him as a clone?
    Before when he found/met him via wayfinders? Vader not sensing him, why/when did he have a wayfinder too? Did he ever use it?

Did Palpatine create Snoke or
    did someone create both Snoke and Palpatine?

I feel like One Canon has created Exegol to use it as both a) One Sith parody b) Keshiri Sith holdout c) Zakuul type Hidden True Sith Empire. One One hand, it signifies the breaking of the Rule of Two as the One Sith did, starting with Plagueis and Palpartines rulebreaks. On another, Exegol is a Sith society that is a separate lifeline to rebirth Sith should the banite Master-Apprentice lineage break and fail. And finally, the Zakuul type hidden repository of lore and the true Sith lineage that manipulates and takes over any Banite Sith should they need to for their masterplan via ritual ruling from afar via puppets and surpreme stewards.

Tor Valum was the Exegol type Sith controling things from afar and watching the Banite line, steering it back on track if needed. Plagueis was under his thrall. Palpatine found out when killing Plagueis but Plagueis saved Tor Valum, yet not himself. With Plagueis dead, Palpatine roamed free of Exegol remote control with his own plans until fearing and sensing the dark call from the Unknown, Exegol. Watching for/seeking it and dreading it, Palpatine told Vader and they both found it yet defied Exegol control, keeping their Wayfinders safely hidden and close.
    Cue ROTJ and their death: Not wanting Exegol to take over his Empire, Palpatine ordered the contingency to take it all to dust! But the Contingency failed as Exegol asserted its control and lead part of the Empire into the Unknown and sent forth Snoke while readying a
    Palpatine clone who is
    under the full control of ALL the (Exegol) Sith.

So with Exegol found and taken out... did any trace of it and the true Sith survive? Did they have a backup to this backup? Or Tor Valum on Remnicore and Mortis instead of Mustafar or Exegol?

Darth Caliban and Iron_lord like this.
  23. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Starting to sound that, like Fry before her, Carson had an impossible job and, in a dark but not at all surprising development, is now getting harassed on Twitter for having done the job as best she was able.

Does anyone know or can recall the wider reception for TLJ's novelisation? I liked bits of its but it couldn't make the film work for me, but I don't recall Fry being harassed over it. Might be wrong in that it happened but I didn't hear about it.

AhsokaSolo and Iron_lord like this.
  24. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Not as far as I am aware.

Though I gather Del Rey is having issues finding authors who are willing to face that harassment.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  25. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Jason Fry is also a more seasoned SW author, and he posts here. If we caught anyone harassing him on these boards they'd be getting a vacation.