main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Star Wars: TIE Fighter (no not that one)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Todd the Jedi , Jan 18, 2019.

1. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    If you feel like waiting until issue 5 comes out (August 21st), I think it makes the most sense to read the whole comic before the book. I don't know, though, because the fifth issue isn't out yet, but chronologically that's what makes the most sense.

Supposedly Del Rey and Marvel worked really hard together on the synergy of these, in which case you could go by release date and read the first two issues of the comic, then the book, then the rest of the comic.

iPodwithnomusic likes this.
  2. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I read Alphabet and haven't read any of the comics, and it all made sense to me, so there's no need to read comics first.

3. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    any theories on why they had the grandmother of one of shadow wing's Pilot's wax lyrically on Sheev having no Heir
    [​IMG]

Vialco likes this.
  4. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    I understood that as her saying the Empire was temporary and would return to the Republic when Palpatine died. She was justifying still calling the Empire the Republic. The Republic is what would last, not the Empire. Palpatine doesn't have an heir, so upon his death she assumes power would return to the senate.

Sinrebirth and Darth Corydon like this.
  5. Darth Corydon

Aug 4, 2018
    makes sense

6. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Issue #5 preview.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tzizvvt78 likes this.
  7. Commander_Andersen

Commander_Andersen Jedi Grand Master star 2

Apr 10, 2004
    Picked up Issue 5 today. I've really enjoyed the series, though feel it could have benefited from a longer run. Alphabet Squadron didn't cover all that much ground but allowed an in-depth look at each of the characters, whereas a 12-issue TIE Fighter series but covering only a little more ground, story-wise, could have helped further develop the team.

It strikes me as teeing up Alphabet Squadron 2 - or is a sequel series in the offing?

We've had a lot of mini-series from Marvel since 2015 and I can't help but wonder if their limited scope has been right for every story they've been trying to tell that. That and it would be interesting to see some stories told in a graphic novel format, rather than five or six 32 page comics over six months. Needing your main story beats to fit in with the particular page count per issue can be pretty restrictive, just as some things work better as a film or mini-series than as a 22 episode, 42 minute TV show.

8. Jacken_Skywalker

Jacken_Skywalker Jedi Master

Jul 9, 2011
    Without having read issue 5 yet, I have a feeling that we might see another TIE Fighter miniseries with Alphabet Squadron 2, and then a third TIE Fighter mini with Alphabet Squadron 3. Especially as this is nilled as a Marvel/Del Rey crossover, it would last the whole trilogy rather than just book 1. I definitely feel what you're saying though - it is extremely restrictive.

Commander_Andersen likes this.
  9. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Apart from the mild issue of what Senate? At this point in time, anyway.

Darth Corydon and Daneira like this.
  10. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    If anyone’s read Heart of the Jedi, we all know how well that worked out...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    Just read issue 5. It's a little anti-climactic, though now I understand why we were just given a vague "after ESB" timeline so as not to spoil the fact that it's basically overlapping ROTJ. Can someone explain what the flashback at the end means? What did Broosh want to talk to Jeela about?

12. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    So is this series worth checking out?

13. Darth Corydon

Aug 4, 2018
    well she wouldnt know that :)

14. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    It's a shockingly naive statement in any military dictatorship.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  15. Wrinty

Wrinty Jedi Master star 3

Apr 8, 2007
    Yes, I believe that was the point, and why he didn't really take old gran seriously with her statement.

16. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Really enjoying this comic series and bought Alphabet Squadron as a result.

17. Old Rex

Old Rex Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 28, 2015
    I was pretty disappointed in this series, honestly. It felt like it was trying to do the deeper character study that Alphabet Squadron did but wasn't able to fully delve into that due to the nature of the comic medium. Maybe the pilots will show up in Alphabet Squadron 2, and Freed will be able to develop them further, but as of now, I wasn't nearly as impressed with the character work here as I was with Alphabet Squadron. It also had the same problem as Alphabet Squadron, plot-wise, in that the plot was entirely secondary to the characters. While that worked fine in AS, it was clearly a problem here.

18. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I enjoyed it as a "Week in the Life of Imperial Officers." I wish it had been an ongoing series.

19. Old Rex

Old Rex Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 28, 2015
    I can see that. It just felt too short for the amount of depth they were trying to squeeze out of the characters. If it had been a 12-issue maxi series or, like you said, an ongoing series, I think I would have liked it far better as the characters would have had time to be properly developed. As it was, though, it just didn't live up to its potential, in my opinion.

20. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I feel like the entire traitorous Admiral plot could have been excised for more character development. As much as I liked Admiral Harcov from the video game, this is a series that feels better about just average Imperials (albeit elite) doing their job as the clock ticks down to the Empire's End.

21. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    yah this was a nifty series as in just what Imps do what they do and I thought the structure with the flashback stuff each issue was solid. The very ending where we'd see how these people deal with the Death of the Emperor seemed like an actual story that I'd want to see more then but it ended. So they cover this squad in Alphabet Squadron in the post Battle of Endor era?

22. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    The issue with this comic and a lot of modern commic is that there was a lot of talking and very little action.

The plot in a visual medium like a comic book should be carried along by action. As much as people may wish it to be, it is not high art.

23. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Dear Lit,

Don’t say I never gave you anything:
    [​IMG]

It is now time for me to provide my review of the TIE Fighter arc. Let’s just cut to the chase:

-This was a weird Doctor Strange comic, but I’ll take what I can get. Wish he had the cape.

[​IMG]

-Absolutely awful plot. Disjointed and the whole mining thing was nonsensical. The grand finale sucked. I felt like this was a halfhearted attempt to make some neat tie-in characters (pun not intended as I write this but oh ho ho) to the Alphabet Squadron books and they had no idea how to plot a cohesive story line.

-That said, the characters were wonderful. My biggest regret is not reading this before I read the Alphabet Squadron books, because I’d have a better idea of who the Imp characters were.

-I said in the Victory’s Price thread that there were some clues suggesting that the individual who saved Will Lark on Jakku at the end, who goes unnamed but seems to be a kindly TIE fighter pilot of some significance, was Broosh. I had no idea he had his own comic series at the time, so I’m now >90% convinced that was Broosh.

-I appreciate they brought back Lyttan and his medic twin from the earlier Han Solo comics. Cool little detail.

-Bansu Ro plays a really small part in Victory’s Price (mainly when Nath is bothering him at the bar to join his crew), but I remembered the name because it had the “Ro” surname and was wondering if he was an alien related to Marchion. Turns out Bansu isn’t just a human, but he is sort of drawn like a woman throughout the comic (comic doesn’t specify gender). I suspect this is an intentional case of a character breaking the gender boundaries (possibly by Freed, possibly by the TIE artists – hard to tell because the two stories were in production around the same time).

[​IMG]

-As the first figure shows, people were REALLY REALLY SHOCKED throughout this comic. It wasn’t just like, fighting. Sometimes they were shocked for very little reason in the meeting room scenes. There is one really hilarious cafeteria scene where this random dude in the background looks shocked in a scene that doesn’t even warrant being shocked.
    [​IMG]

-I dunno, I wish this comic had had a better plot. I really do. It had a lot of potential, I really liked the characters, but it just totally fizzled into nothing. Like the Empire’s dreams. I guess that was the moral all along.