main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Memph, TN Star Wars Trilogy DVD discussion

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Jedi Trace, Apr 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qui-Gon Tim

Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep star 5

Apr 1, 2000
    Oh, look.... Showgirls is on Showtime right now.

"It's alright, I got towels!"

Nothing says class and romance like a Paul Verhoven film.

2. TK_1427

TK_1427 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 12, 2003
    Well my Battlefront doesn't work so I'll have to return it tommorow.

Chuck

3. WonderPants

WonderPants Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 6, 2003
    BTW, where was everyone when Spielberg changed ET for its SE Anniversary edition? I don't remember anyone screaming that he raped their precious childhood.

People don't like the ET changes that much either, but Spielberg put both versions on the DVD, so everyone's happy.

I wtached ANH last night, and found myself skipping through most of it to the end section, as I started twiddling my thumbs.

People are right, these are just movies, once you get over the obsession.

//puts the DVDs back in his DVD rack for another year or two

4. mr_nightmarez

mr_nightmarez Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 20, 2003
    I'm glad I read this thread...

My DVD's STOP. There are two places where the DVD's just lock up and I have to restart, I thought it was my DVD player, but it did it on both of my DVD players...

ARRRGHHH back to the store I reckon!
    Where's that receipt!:eek:

5. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    For those who have to return, or already have returned, their DVDs and games, where did you buy them? I'm just curious to see what retailer has the greatest amount of duds.

6. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Are you kidding? It's ALWAYS Wal-Mart.

The Redneck Neihman-Marcus. Heh.

7. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
  8. mr_nightmarez

mr_nightmarez Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 20, 2003
    MEDIA PLAY
    which is part of the Suncoast family I believe!

9. Timewalker

Timewalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 27, 2004
  10. Timewalker

Aug 27, 2004
    Not exactly fair for Obi-wan and Yoda then, is it? They're good their entire lives and they're stuck as old geezers for all of eternity whereas Anakin goes about marauding, blowing up planets, committing genocide, torturing innocent people, terrorizing a Galaxy, and killing at a whim, but remains a healthy young man?

SHHH!!!!!!

Lucas might hear you, then re-do it all and add in Ewan McGregor.

:D
    So far, my favorite exchange on the whole Hayden-force-ghost replacement thread.

-Joe

11. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
  12. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    I like all of the "Where have you been man?" responses this poor guy is getting. He should come back with, "Having sex and a life", or something witty and scathing like that.

I never noticed the flashes really, either, to be honest. Of course, this is what happens when you aren't watching a crappy, grainy, un-restored copy of the film. (Never noticed them originally either, which is a testament to the quality of that print back in 1977!)

13. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Of course, this is what happens when you aren't watching a crappy, grainy, un-restored copy of the film. (Never noticed them originally either, which is a testament to the quality of that print back in 1977!)

I think there's your answer. ;)

I would check them out on my VHS tapes, but I don't care.

14. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    I know how you feel, Rhonda. It's not worth digging out the old set for.

Oh, and I finally figured out why the "Han rescues Luke on Hoth" scene is so blasted dark. They darkened it on purpose! I mean, why were they closing the blast doors to Echo Base? Because it was getting dark outside! (And the older versions had it being bright daylight when Han finds Luke. Another continuity error I never even thought about, just like Han's vest/no vest in the carbon freeze chamber.) A big 'D'OH!' moment for me there!

15. WonderPants

WonderPants Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 6, 2003
    Well, I'll be damned.

I just pulled out my SE VHS tapes to check, and there are green flashes on them too. Never noticed them before. OK, it's not nearly as obvious as on the DVD, but still.....

16. BlueLoriSaber

BlueLoriSaber Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 29, 2004
    I haven't had a chance to buy mine yet, but did any of the ones that messed up come from Best Buy?? 'Cause that's where I buy my DVDs.

Plus, I love that Hayden is in the final movie. of course, it could be because I'm in love with him. I do have to agree that they should have added Ewan McGregor too. Of course, he is also one of my fave actors. I think I may be a little biased in this matter.

17. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Lori: I haven't heard anyone complain over copies bought at Best Buy. It also seems that certain cheap DVD players don't seem to want to play the set very well, as I discovered. My Mintek had fits witht the OT DVDs, but didn't have a problem at all with Episode I & II. (I think it's biased. Gotta get a new DVD player.)

As far as the Force-ghost scene, I think they're supposed to appear as they last looked when they were a Jedi. (I think that's the explanation George gave. I could be wrong. It's early, I've been sniffing paint fumes, and I haven't had my coffee.)

18. BlueLoriSaber

BlueLoriSaber Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 29, 2004
    My DVD players aren't cheap, so they better not mess up any of my DVDs. Of course, if they do, they know I'll through them out the window. Well, after I unhook the surround sound and TV and all that stuff. But I think by the time I do all that I would have calmed down enough not to throw it out the window. But don't let the DVD player know that.

19. Timewalker

Aug 27, 2004
    So, I'm thinkin' between the release of the DVDs and my participation on this board and meeting you guys in person at T&T's place, maybe, just maybe, I had been on Star Wars overload and I should cut back a little before I ticked my wife off. (Since most of you don't know us very well, I can have a tendency to obsess on a topic once I really get interested in it - be it Star Wars, LotR, Babylon 5, a new favorite author, a new favorite band, etc.) So, I'm thinking I'd like to watch AOTC again, since I hadn't seen it recently, but I'll probably wait a while so I don't irritate Gina.

I get home Monday night, and as I walk through the door, Gina says, "You just missed Attack of the Clones". Huh? Yep. She watched both Ep I and II Monday.
    When I get home from work Tuesday - She had watched the OT. The good news - no problems with our DVDs. The better news, I haven't burned her out on Star Wars yet. But if she keeps it up, she may burn me out. :p

-Joe

20. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Ah, come on, Gina... Cut the man some slack. He needs his Star Wars! :p

21. Queen_Pixie

Queen_Pixie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 1999
    So, has anyone tried to play the DVD's in a cheapy Apex(think Walmart black-friday special) DVD player? I'm going to buy them(I want widescreen dangit!!) but, I want to know if the DVD player I have will play them or not.

Sad thing is though, I probably won't watch them very often anyway, I usually throw in a tape when I can't sleep. Familiarity always puts me to sleep.

22. Timewalker

Aug 27, 2004
    They play fine in my Apex 3-disc changer. (Cheapie clearance Wal-Mart special $58.00)

-Joe

23. Timewalker

Aug 27, 2004
    Ah, come on, Gina... Cut the man some slack. He needs his Star Wars!

Yeah, she just put them back in their case <sigh>.
    I'll probably watch the saga this weekend, interspersed with episodes of Strange taped off of Showtime.

So Tim, where's that Oct 9th Drive-In thread???

-Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.