main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TV Discussion "Star Wars: Underworld" test footage

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by xezene, Jan 30, 2020.

1. xezene

xezene Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Hey, guys. I released this elsewhere and I figured I should release it here for discussion. I was going through professional VFX production studio Stargate Studios' videos, and I stumbled upon some test footage they shot for Lucas' "Underworld" TV show in 2010. I've decided to package together that footage with the making-of and put it out on Youtube for people to see. This was early footage taken -- I believe to establish the cost of the show -- and it must have been too costly in the end, because due to cost concerns the show was delayed and eventually cancelled with the sell of Lucasfilm. Rick McCallum discusses the cost concerns here. It should be said the technology to produce this -- Virtual Backlot Live -- is incredible.

Here's the footage and production behind-the-scenes video:

Here is a document full of additional information about the show.

What do you think? Do you like the look? Does a Coruscant setting for a TV show interest you? Do you have any other thoughts about "Underworld?" Feel free to share them here and discuss.

2. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    I'd be super interested in seeing "Underworld"! This looks *great*, but it does look like test footage.

3. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    It looks... fine? I dunno, except for the fact that it's cool to see Coruscant again - and stormtroopers on Coruscant - I don't think it looks that good to be honest. But, it's only test footage, I'm sure the show itself wouldn't have looked quite as much as a high end fan film.
    But with the technology used for The Mandalorian, with those gigantic screens as backgrounds, they should be able to make Coruscant look fantastic on a slightly lower budget these days. I hope they go there in the Cassian show, or Mando season 2.

It was really cool to see though, thank you for sharing.

4. Jesta'

Jesta' Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 25, 2017
    This looks decent, but a bit flat. I love seeing stormtroopers on Coruscant, and the 3d graphics and the city look fantastic. George, please take control of this property again.

5. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Being test footage, it was never gonna be high standard in terms of direction. you kinda have to ignore the fan-film feel to it and just look at it for what the concept is selling.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
  6. Troy_Viszla

Troy_Viszla Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 2, 2018
    Looks like the rumors where true and the series would have taken place mostly in the deep levels of Corusant.

The Legions of Lettow and xezene like this.
  7. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    My god. I had no idea it ever got this far into production. What could have been!

8. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    That's not production. It's more or less a proof of concept to give potential buyers of the series an idea as to what their investment would be buying them as far as the quality of production value.

And it's not hard to see why this never went anywhere. It's 2010 and network TV was still fixated on low cost realty TV programming, the marquee premium service (HBO) a had taken a pass on a number of high cost series. It might have been Star Wars but it still would have been a hard sell in that environment. It's not helped by the fact that, for a demo, it looks fine but aside from the stormtroopers and some sound effects there's not much about it that seems distinctively Star Wars.

9. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    Yeah if that was production then the show would've sucked. [face_rofl]

10. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    Looks nice but you could tell it was test footage when a firefight broke out and the stormtroopers and rebels just stood there stationary plinking away at each other across the room.

11. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Sure.
    That could be fun.
    I get that the acting wasn't the point with it, and that in these post-GoT days a larger budget and more ambitious special effects are possible.

You go big budget in the first and last episodes, and do things on a smaller scale in the middle.

A big busy Coruscant episode with make a good single episode side quest in the Obi-Wan or Cassian shows.

12. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    The whole Palpatine-wronged-by-a-woman-and-that's-why-he's-evil thing really doesn't sit right with me. Completely unnecessary, and just boring and pedestrian. I'm glad that Palpatine is just evil, through and through. No broken heart crap. I hope it stays that way.

13. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Well, GL had 50 episodes written for 2 seasons and a projected 50 and even 150 more for 4-8 seasons. Rule of thumb is 100 episodes for syndication, Star Trek (79 episodes) and Star Trek: Enterprise (98 episodes) are exceptions. IIRC Lucas envisioned TCW being 8 seasons.

To keep the costs down and due to the nature of streaming, I suppose the number of episodes would be halved. And given the adult themes it’d appear on Hulu, not Disney+.

14. Jesta'

Jesta' Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 25, 2017
    I think you posted in the wrong thread

15. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Hmm, yeah, nowadays big ticket seasons are 8-12 episodes. Not 20.

Different motivations. Small nugget of quality to make you sign up to Disney+, instead of a long series keeping you watching advertisments for 6 months.

8 episodes of Underworld would be far more affordable, and contain less rambling filler.

16. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    It was probably a decade ago, but I remember hearing about that and how it would make the production of the TV series more efficient. I think they mentioned it in some tech demo.

17. indydefense

indydefense Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 2, 2019
    To be fair, it would explain how Palpatine wound up having a son.

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  18. Darthur C. Clarke

Darthur C. Clarke Jedi Master star 3

Jul 8, 2016
    I thought this test footage looks excellent. I was very surprised to see such finished looking footage. I get that its not 'finished', but that test footage looks a hell of a lot better than the unfinished deleted scenes we always get. If the mentioned Virtual Backlot is a program taking the green screen footage and automatically plugging it into rendered environments (as that's what it appears to be to me!), that is some seriously fantastic stuff. It has better effects right there than half the sci-fi of the 90's making killer residuals on streaming subscriptions; not to mention what could be done in with time to 'polish' it.

I hope this is indicative of things to come! Underworld looks like it would have been fab!

19. Reepicheep775

Reepicheep775 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2019
    This is fascinating. I have no idea how close this test footage would be to the production values of the finished product, but based off of this, I think The Mandalorian uses its budget much more effectively with its limited scope. If the sky was the limit, I would love to see a show about the Coruscant underworld, but this looked kind of cheap honestly.

20. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    Across the room? They could have reached out and punched each other (although they would probably miss with that kind of aim). The camera also has an odd interest in the rebel woman's stupidly impractical high heeled boots, which reminds me of Jurassic World [face_laugh]

21. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Coruscant looked pretty good imo. Would be a nice change of pace from the Mos Eisley lookalike backworlds that Disney is very fond of.

That speeder was badass af.

22. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    Holy crap, this looks great!

I'd argue even better than some of the Mando stuff. Straight-up Blade Runner meets EpII.

Jesta', xezene, Deliveranze and 3 others like this.
  23. Harbour

Harbour Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 15, 2015
    That moment when vehicle sold the whole scene. Its sleek, luxurious and futuristic looking. Also unique neon-skyscraper look of the lower level. Also fashionable high heels hottie to sell that 90s vibe.
    She constantly reminded me Mara Jade btw. I wonder was she a Force User or just an agent.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
  24. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    This looks amazing. Lovely mixing of the PT with the OT. Looks like it would have been a fantastic bridge between the PT and OT.

xezene and The Legions of Lettow like this.
  25. Generational Fan

Generational Fan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2015
    It looks okay and Im sure it would have been good with George at the helm, but its no "The Mandalorian". And gosh, George sure does love that PT-like visual.

But here is what The Mandalorian, IMO, stands alone at the top in its peerless superiority. Great visuals, different terrains, a great story that does not focus on a Rebellion vs Empire theme (like in this Underworld thing) and above all else, the most wonderful and masterful use of characterisation. Episode after episode, I feel The Mandalorian just keeps on building and layering its characterisation with wonderful, memorable and resonating complexity.

There has been no television in many years that makes me think about its episodes like The Mandalorian does. Sure it helps I am a Star Wars fan, but I simply just recognize its quality.

I would watch this show and probably enjoy it and maybe a few minutes is not enough to draw solid comparisons. But if I were to put the best few minutes of The Mandalorian up against this and had to make one choice, The Mando wins out.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
    Bor Mullet and RokurGepta like this.