main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TV Discussion "Star Wars: Underworld" test footage

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by xezene, Jan 30, 2020.

1. indydefense

indydefense Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 2, 2019
    I wonder if they might be repurposing those scripts for the Cassian Andor show? It's set during the same time period, and he's kind of a shady figure.

CernStormrunner likes this.
  2. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018

It would be so great if we could get this, maybe in Andor if lucky.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
    TetsuAero and CampOfSorgan like this.
  3. Fallen Jedi Master

Fallen Jedi Master Jedi Master star 4

Apr 13, 2017
    Fun fact: If you every wonder why Quinlan Vos disappeared in Legends after surviving Order 66 in the Republic comics is because Geroge wanted to use him for Underworld hence why Vos never showed up again in the old EU.

I'm happy at least we will see Vos in a post order 66 story in canon now. It really drove me crazy wondering what the hell happen to him during the Purge and was intrigued when I found out he was ment to appear in Underworld which never happen.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

4. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    Is there a canon post-Order 66 story with Quinlan Vos to be released?

5. Fallen Jedi Master

Apr 13, 2017
    No but it is showing he survived Order 66 in canon

6. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    That's speculation, not a fact.

TetsuAero and MrDarth0 like this.
  7. Fallen Jedi Master

Apr 13, 2017
    No I'm pretty sure it's a fact. Vos was originally ment to die and even had a deleted scene showing his death in Revenge of the Sith. Until Geroge changed his mind

8. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Vos had a death scene in ROTS, yes. A scene that was cut, like many other scenes, for reasons unknown.

Saying that it was cut because he wanted the character for Underworld, or that he personally requested for Licensing to stop using the character, is speculation.

TetsuAero likes this.
  9. Fallen Jedi Master

Apr 13, 2017
    Oh I didn't realized that. I Have heard that Geroge wanted him alive for Underground so many times that I thought it was a fact. My bad

Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
  10. Darth Baga

Darth Baga Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 21, 2021
    I really wonder how this show would have turned out. I hope Disney do something with Coruscant in the new shows. It feels like ages since we've seen it.

11. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    Cause its been ages. Outside of TCW and small cameo in RO, Coruscant hasn't been used in live action since 2005.

CampOfSorgan likes this.
  12. Darth Baga

Jul 21, 2021
    I really hope one of the shows can pull it off. I think Coruscant would be quite expensive to portray given all the CGI you would need.

CampOfSorgan likes this.
  13. Grizzlor

Grizzlor Jedi Master star 1

Mar 14, 2015
    Wow, just saw this! Cheers to the original poster @xezene for providing the test footage!

It's quite interesting for two reasons. First, I was not aware back then that McCallum conceived of the show making so much use of green screening. I figured they'd chosen the underworld aspect so as to eliminate the need for all that. To be kind of steam punk, like a super high budget Lexx or Firefly. I suppose it makes sense that George didn't want to produce something that was barely a step up from most science fiction TV shows of the time, and more matched the films. That was impossible at the time. The second point for me answers the first, in that as we have seen with the technology on Mandalorian, Underworld is now technically feasible. Only took 15 years. At this point, with a totally new braintrust, I wouldn't venture back into the concept TBH.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2021
    xezene likes this.
  14. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    It wasn't impossible, the virtual studio technology used in The Mandalorian was what Lucas was going to use for Underworld. They basically inherited it from Lucas.

He was going to build it at the Grady Ranch property. Unfortunately he wasn't allowed to do it due to uproar from some locals, so production of the series ceased at the time.

xezene and Count Yubnub like this.
  15. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Do you have a source on that, because that sounds highly implausible that a filming technique that was new in 2019 was just sitting around for over a decade.

TCF-1138 , TetsuAero and Grizzlor like this.
  16. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    It wasn't new, it has existed for years. Lucas had been playing with realistic real-time rendering at ILM for many years precisely because he planned to used it (in a cost-effective way) for Underworld, all in a virtual set. There was even some test videos at the time with a real-time rendered 3PO.

As for the source, not only was this leaked test footage made that way back then, but it was admitted by The Mandalorian crew in one of its behind the scenes documentaries.

17. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    The Volume is an enclosed set with gigantic LED screen walls, allowing both the crew, the camera, and the actors to see the environment they're shooting. The real-time rendered effects Lucas envisioned, as far as I've understood it, was still based on blue/green screens, with the rendering happening real-time in a computer that both captured the footage and keyed in the effects. That way a director, and even camera operators, would be able to see the final result while shooting, though the actors wouldn't. Interactive lighting such as what you get from The Volume would also be non-existant.

EDIT: spelling

Last edited: Jan 3, 2022
  18. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    The hurdle and the core of the tech is real time rendering, not how to display the rendered content. We don't know how he would choose to display it. Maybe he would have giant display screens in the background, maybe he would have used greenscreens.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2022
  19. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Real time rendering is one of the benefits of The Volume, but far from the only one. The interactivity in terms of lighting, removing the keying and actor immersion are also huge parts of it.
    Claiming that they "inherited" the technology from Lucas, or that it existed a decade ago, is pushing it.

20. silentfault

silentfault Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 5, 2021
    That is correct.
    We actually have the behind the scenes footage from the Underworld:

21. Darth Baga

Jul 21, 2021
    I was doing some more background reading about this show. Apparently George Lucas wanted to humanise Palpatine give him a tragic backstory, one involving an old flame breaking his heart. This is a quote from Cory Barlog, the writer for God of War.

I'm unsure how I feel about this. I've always kind of enjoyed Palpatine being the personification of evil, but I would have at least entertained the idea of adding nuance and depth to his character. George Lucas did make me feel sympathetic for Darth Vader after all.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2022
    CampOfSorgan likes this.
  22. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    These clickbait sites never cease to amaze me. There's nothing that Barlog said that established that a) Lucas wanted to humanize Palpatine or give him a tragic backstory or b) that the woman who betrayed Palpatine in the past was an "old flame" or c) that she "broke his heart".

That said, even if the Emperor did become the embodiment of evil with no redeeming qualities, nobody is born evil. Even Satan fell. That's one of the aspects that Lucas explores in Anakin's story.

Here's the actual source of the quote: https://venturebeat.com/2016/06/20/...olent-series-is-growing-up-with-the-industry/

Count Yubnub and CampOfSorgan like this.
  23. Darth Baga

Jul 21, 2021
    Ah, I guess I shhould have sought out for the original source of the quote. You can't really assume she was a love interest based on such limited information. However, I'd still argue that casting Palpatine in a sympathetic light goes a long way in humanising him.

clone commander bossk likes this.
  24. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Maybe it does, but there's no evidence that that was a goal (or the goal).

clone commander bossk likes this.
  25. tooonline89

tooonline89 Jedi Youngling

Feb 15, 2022
    Underworld is a real white whale of mine lol I imagine we will some day see the scripts. Seems like an easy cash cow to sell them like a decade or two from now.

Count Yubnub and Grizzlor like this.