main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga - PT Star Wars: Undiscovered - AU First Post (7/31)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by FORCEBlLADE, Jul 31, 2021.

1. FORCEBlLADE

FORCEBlLADE Jedi Grand Master star 3

Mar 2, 2003
    Chapter 24

To say Padme was disappointed with the developments within the senate was an understatement. After spending the last year trying to defeat the Military Creation Act all hope of finding a diplomatic solution to Separatists Crisis was lost with Chancellor Palpatine being awarded emergency powers, enabling him to bypass the senate altogether and create an army for the Republic.

As much as she looked up to and respected the Chancellor - a man she had known for half her life now - to have so much be given to one individual was dangerous. She couldn’t dare imagine herself with that much authority over others.

But that was the reality now, and she would have to make compromises.

It was the early morning after returning to Coruscant, and she decided to check on Anakin - along with the other Jedi. Flying her personal speeder was Captain Typho - who wasn’t sure why it was so necessary to go to the Jedi Temple so early.

What Padme couldn’t admit to him was that she just needed to see the young Jedi, and make sure he was doing okay. These were dangerous waters that she was dipping her toes into. He was a Jedi apprentice, and she was a Senator. This was a place they couldn’t go, regardless of how they felt for each other.

And they did feel something for each other. She felt something for him. Something that had been feeling growing with every minute since they had reunited on Tatooine.

But she couldn;t give herself away. She had to maintain a professional demeanor. Especially with Typho present.

The Temple’s hangar door opened for them, and they were led to a landing spot beside a row of fighters. Padme had barely jumped off the speeder when she spotted the person she had come to see walking to one of the fighters.”

“Anakin!’ she called out.

He stopped a bit startled, as if he were a child caught sneaking in a midnight snack. “Senator . . . what are . . . I mean you shouldn’t . . .”

“Going somewhere?”

He looked over to one of the fighters, where a red astromech droid was already installed, chirping something to Anakin in what sounded like an impatient tone. Padme’s instincts told her that she had just caught him trying to sneak away without the Jedi Council’s permission.

“So where are you off to, Ani?’

Standing straight, he told her, “No place in particular.”

That was a lie.

“Ani, I’m your friend. You can trust me.” With Typho remaining by their speeder she moved up to Anakin to make sure they couldn’t be heard. “You and I can have a secret, or two, between us.”

Before speaking again, he looked around to make sure nobody was around to hear. “I have a lead on Owen’s killer. I’m going to a planet called Kamino.”

“Never heard of it.”

“Neither have any Jedi, apparently. It doesn’t even exist in our records, but Obi-Wan’s source is reliable, so I’m going to check it out.”

“Alone?”

“Obi-Wan and Olana have already been given a new assignment, so I’m going to check it out on my own.”

This seems like a long shot, at best. Even if this Kamino did exist, Owen’s killer wasn’t guaranteed to be there. “You’re going without the Council’s permission, aren’t you.”

Anakin rolled his eyes. “I’m done waiting around for them to decide if I’m still a Jedi, or not. If I find the Mandalorian there, I might find Dooku too, and I can end this war before it actually starts.”

“Not alone.” She put a hand on his arm before he could take a step away from the fighter. “You have no clue what you’ll be walking into.”

“What do you suggest then?’

Looking back to Typho, she made an immediate decision about how her day was going to go. “I’m coming with you.”

“No.”

“I wasn’t asking for permission.”

“I’ve put you in enough danger. You almost died in Geonosis.”

But she snarled. “My life has been on the line more than once over the years, without your help. Plus, if Dooku does turn out to be there, I can speak as a representative of the Republic for peace.”

But this only garnered a sigh from Anakin. “Still all about diplomatic solutions.”

“With aggressive negotiations as a backup plan.” This earned her a chuckle from him.

“I am literally taking a shot in the dark with this Kamino place.”

“Then all the more reason you not go alone.”

They stood locked in a stare-off for a moment, before Anakin blinked in defeat. “There’s no talking you out of this then.”

“Something we share in common.”

Together they walked back to her speeder, where she instructed Captain Typho to contact Kitster and have her ship readied.

—-------

So there it was.

Kamino.

In direct defiance of the Archives of the Jedi Order.

“Your instincts were right Anakin,” Padme told him. That fact that it was her saying it made him have to fight down a blush.

“We’re receiving instructions from the planet’s capital,” Kitster announced a minute after sending a comm signal that identified them as representatives of the Republic. “They’ve given us landing coordinates.”

“Everyone in the cockpit looked to the senator, who nodded to comply with the directions.

“First sign of trouble, though, we turn this ship around,” Captain Typho made clear from one of the pilot’s seats. We don’t want a repeat of Geonosis.”

“No, we do not,” Anakin said solemnly. It took him aback when he felt the light touch to new hand. Not so much that he was still getting used to its sensor receptors, but that it was Padme reaching out for him.

For all of Anakin’s displeasure growing up in the endless sands of Tatooine he doubted that the water world of Kamino would’ve been a far better environment. They had to navigate through a heavy thunderstorm that was beating onto the capital city, which floated above the horrid ocean waves.

Their landing platform was outside, with a crosswalk leading inside.

“This could very well be a trap, M’lady,” Typho reminded.

“Then we spring the trap, Captain.”

Unhappy with that idea, Typho still nodded, then leaned over to Kitster. “Keep the engines, just in case.”

He nodded. “Hopefully there are no flying bugs in this place.”

So Padme led Anakin, Typho, and two other security men out into the storm in a quick sprint towards the door, where once inside a single, long-necked, Kaminoan - Anakin assumed she was - awaited for them.

“Welcome to Kamino,” she said in a soft, yet emotionless tone. “I am Taun We.”

Removing the hood of her raincoat, Padme offered a hand. “I am Padme Amidala, Senator of Naboo, with the Galactic Republic.

While she shook Padme’s hand the Kaminoan’s attention was drawn to Anakin. “Master Jedi. After all these years, we were beginning to think you weren’t coming.”

“Did you?” Anakin tried to sound more surprised by the notion than confused. “I promise it’s a habit for us to keep others waiting.”

“Please, follow me.”

As they walked through the corridors Anakin and Typho exchanged assuring signals that they were both staying alert and ready to fight their way back to the ship, if they needed to.

They were led to a room where another Kaminoan sat waiting.

“This is Lama Su, Prime Minister of Kamino.”

Typho gestured to his two men to wait outside. A second chair was lowered down for Padme to sit on, while Anakin and Typho took positions on either side. “Thank you for meeting with us, Prime Minister.”

“Of course. With our contract on the verge of fruition we are delighted to finally be meeting both representatives of the Republic senate, and the Jedi Order.”

“Yes, of course.” So like Anakin, she would go along with whatever that Kaminoans believed their arrival to mean.

“You’ll be happy to know that we are on schedule. Two hundred thousand units are ready, with a million more well on the way.”

“That is excellent to hear.” Padme continued to give no sign of confusion, despite the questions that three of them had floating around their heads right now. “No troubles at any point during this process, I hope.”

“Nothing that couldn’t be corrected, I assure you.” Then the Prime Minister looked to Anakin. “Please tell your Master, Sifo-Dyas, that his order will be met on time.”

That name rang a bell. Both Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan had mentioned him. Well respected Jedi Master, leading member of the Jedi Council before his dismissal, tragically killed around, maybe, ten years ago.

“Forgive me, I thought you were told before now, but Master Dyas has been dead for some years now.”

“Oh, I am sorry to hear that - but I’m sure he would’ve been proud of the army that we built for him.” Then he gestured to Padme. “The Republic should be grateful to him.”

Again, he had to maintain his composure, as if nothing he was hearing was of any shock. A quick glance to Padme and Typho showed that they were both doing the same.

An army for the Republic. Just when they needed one. Ordered by a Jedi, no less.

“If we could see the troops, Prime Minister,” Padme asked with a casual demeanor. “I would love to see how they’ve been trained.”

“Of course.”

First they were shown the cloning laboratories, where stacks and rows of glass containers showed still growing embryos. Next were the classrooms with human ten year-old boys studying, which wouldn’t have been much of a sight except that every single one of them bore the same face.

Clones. Bred and raised to be soldiers. According to the Prime Minister they were genetically engineered to be obedient, as well as to age twice as fast as normal humans. It unsettled Anakin to think of them only living half a life as most.

The final showing fully grown clones, domed in white armor, running drills

“May I ask who the source for this army is?” Padme asked the Prime Minister.

“A bounty hunter called Jango Fett.”

Bounty Hunter!

It had to be him. No way bounty hunters carried a strong presence in a place like this. Anakin barely opened his mouth in order to ask if Jango Fett wore Mandalorian armor before closing it back. He couldn’t give away knowing that much about him to the Kaminoans. If he was here they could warn him away.

Thankfully, Padme could go on a more diplomatic approach. “I would like to meet this Jango Fett, and offer my gratitude for being the literal face of the Republic army.”

“I would be happy to arrange it for you,” Lama Su offered.

Under his robe Anakin’s fingers caressed his lightsaber hilt, but he had to remind himself about where he was, and how careful he would have to be with the bounty hunter once he saw him.

If Anakin caught him alone, though, Force help Jango Fett.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2023
    ConservativeJedi321 likes this.
  2. PlanetSmasher

PlanetSmasher Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 14, 2017
    Anakin, exercising patience and thinking, rather than acting on his emotions. A good sign, but it still worries me that he seems to be seeking vengeance rather than making an arrest to seek justice.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2022
  3. FORCEBlLADE

Mar 2, 2003
    Chapter 25

At the door of Jango Fett’s quarters was answered by a young boy clone instead of the grown man Anakin was expecting.

“Boba, is your father home,” Taun We asked.

Father?

“Yep.”

“May we see him.”

“Sure.” The boy - Boba - gave Anakin, Padme, and Typho a curious glance before leading them inside, to the sitting room. “Dad, Taun We’s here.”

Dad. So Anakin definitely didn’t hear either of them wrong. “You’re a clone.”

The boy gave him a bit of a glare, clearly taking offense to being called a clone.

“He’s my son.”

A man appeared from a doorway, dressed in simple clothes, shooting Anakin the same exact offended glare as he approached him. If one removed twenty years from this man’s face he would be identical to the men training in their white armor right now.

Padme stepped in-between them. “Jango Fett, I presume?” He nodded. “Senator Padme Amidala, of the Galactic Senate.”

Jango shook her hand. “A pleasure.”

Stepping beside her, Anakin offered his own hand. “I’m Anakin Skywalker, of the Jedi Order.”

As soon as Jango took his hand he put in a tight grip, to which the bounty hunter returned in equal measure. No fear.

“Nice arm.”

“It’s new.”

“This army couldn’t have come at a better time for the Republic,” Padme told him with a smile. “You may have heard, but the Separatists have declared war on the Republic.”

“Yes, my work takes me all over, so I know things have been brewing between your two groups.”

“Has one of the places that your work’s taken you to been Geonosis, by any chance?” Anakin asked.

His face gave nothing away at the mention of the world. “Once or twice.”

“Recently?”

“Possibly.” He was calm under pressure. So definitely not an amateur. “Do you like your army?”

He feigned a smile. “As the senator said, they couldn’t have come at a better time.”

“They’ll do their job well, I’ll guarantee that.”

“I’d love to hear how you were recruited for this project,” Padme said.

“Another time, perhaps. My son and I have other matters to attend to.”

“Then, until next time.”

“Until next time.”

Taun We took the lead back out through the door with Anakin at the rear of the line - only to stop and look back to Jango. “I understand Kamino has some pretty unique saber darts.”

Again, the bounty hunter’s face gave nothing away. “Among other things.”

“How effective are they?”

“Depends on the shooter.”

Anakin’s hand was nearly grasping for his lightsaber before stopping himself and gently pulling his hand back.

“See you soon, Jango.”

—-------

With the Jedi Council dismissed for the day Masters Yoda and Windu were only ones present when Anakin contacted them back on Coruscant from the cockpit of Padme’s ship.

“You left without our permission, young Skywalker,” Windu pointed out with clear displeasure. Nothing Anakin wasn’t expecting

“It wasn’t without reason, Master Jedi,” Padme defended. “In any case, there are more pressing concerns, right now. The cloning facilities on this planet, Kamino, have created an army for the Republic.”

“An army,” Yoda echoed in disbelief.

“A clone army, Master,” Anakin told him. “A bounty hunter named Jango Fett is being used as the genetic source.”

“Is this Jango Fett the same armored man from Geonosis?” Windu asked.

“We can’t say for certain, but he was keeping both his emotions and thoughts well guarded from me,” Anakin reported. “The Kaminoans also claim that Jedi Master Sifo-Dyas ordered this army.”

This bit of news clearly took both Masters by surprise. “If Sifo-Dyas did indeed order the creation of this army, without our blessing, he did so,” Yoda assured them.

“Anakin, bring this bounty hunter to us for questioning,” Windu ordered. “There’s more to this army than we’ve just learned.”

“Understood, Master.”

After they ended the transmission Padme addressed R2, who was at the comlink controls. “Contact the Chancellor’s office. Now the senate must be informed about this army.”

Already, Anakin was moving for the ship’s ramp. “I’ll be back, with that bounty hunter.”

Typho moved to follow him. “You’ll need help.”

“No!” He composed himself before continuing. “Stay with the senator. We still need to be on guard with the people here.”

“I can be your backup, then,” Kitster offered.

But Anakin shook his head.“I need to face him, alone.” Losing Owen was bad enough. He didn’t even want to think about what losing Kitster would do to him.

He was only two steps along when Padme called to him, “Ani!” He looked back to see that she was worried. “If he is the one who killed Owen, please, do what a Jedi has to do.”

Though he left without replying, her plea stayed with him. She knew him well enough now to be worried about what he might do in confronting Jango Fett in a less than civil manner.

As much as Anakin didn’t want to disappoint her, he knew better than to promise her that this confrontation wouldn’t end with the bounty hunter's head falling away from his neck.

—-------

“Dad!” Standing at the top of the ship’s ramp, Boba pointed back to the platform’s door. “Look!”

And from there came that same young Jedi as before, lightsaber ignited, charging towards them.

“Boba, get on board!”

With that Jango pulled out both of his pistols to fire on the boy, With every shot he maneuvered his angles, never aiming for the exact same spot; while also moving away from his ship, and his son. He needed to end this fight fast.

This young Jedi, though, was parrying away all of his shots, while also charging him with great brutality. Despite the crushing rain the viewscreen of his helmet gave him a clear picture of this Jedi - more specifically his eyes, and the thirst for blood.

His blood.

Once he came in close enough the Jedi started sending his shots back towards Jango, but thankfully his armor protected him, but close contact with that lightsaber wouldn’t be the same. So once they were within two steps of each other he hit the air, continuing to fire on him until he disappeared behind a pillar.

Crawling back around to look down and see the Jedi standing his ground, ready for another storm of blaster shots. Instead, though, he aimed and fired the missile from his jetpack-

-only the missile never reached Skywalker. It stopped midair, fighting against a telekinetic hold.

A hold that then pushed the missile towards its shooter. Blasted Jedi.

He had to drop himself back down to the platform floor to avoid getting hit. He was only up to one knee when Skywalker was descending down, his blade descending towards his head. Thankfully, Jango was quick to block it with his wrist.

The blue blade sizzled against his beskar armor, unable to cut through. Given enough time it would, but he wouldn’t let it get that far. Spinning around, he got the Jedi off his legs, giving him the chance to get back onto his.

Standing back up himself, weaponless, Skywalker raised his fists, now deprived of his weapon, as it must’ve rolled away in his fall. Despite this his punches carried some strong weight, especially those that came from his mechanical replacement.

So with his next swing came out a saw blades from his gauntlet that met with Skywalker’s one real fist. What followed his scream, though, was another swing of his arm that felt like an impact with a bus that sent Jango flying away, across the platform.

Something then seemed to grab a hold of him, and then pulled him back towards the young Jedi, who delivered another punch to the gut, leaving him on the floor, winded.

His helmet had already been pulled off by the time he came out of his daze - only to start receiving a repeated robotic fist to his face. Through the roaring thunder the young Jedi screamed, “His name was Owen Lars! The name of the man you killed, Jango!’

Picking Jango up, he threw him across the platform floor with the strength of a wookiee. He struggled just to get himself up to his knees. A familiar snap-hiss went off, and surely enough the Jedi was marching towards him, lightsaber raised, and ready for a final strike that Jango knew was coming, as evidenced by the boiling inferno in the Jedi’s eyes.

But then came the erupting bow from the canons of his ship. Had it been any human other than a Jedi being fired on they would’ve been blown into crisped meat, but Skywalker was able to jump away in time. The cannons continued to fire on him forcing the Jedi to maneuver away from Jango -

– and over the edge of the platform.

No time to be relieved. That Jedi had friends with him, and they could be here any second. So Jango got himself up, ran to retrieve his helmet, and then boarded his ship, which lifted off the platform as soon as he stepped onto the ramp.

In the cockpit his son spun around on the pilot’s seat, his expression of relief immediately morphing into concern.

“Dad, your face.”

That Jedi had gotten some good hits, so Jango didn’t doubt he was bruised up, maybe even bleeding. It was only until he lightly put his hands across it did he realize that his right eye was nearly swollen shut.

“Oh, Dad.”

“I’ll be okay, buddy. Thanks to you.”

Waving him to the next seat, Jango took the pilot’s chair for himself.

“Where to now, Dad.”

“Some place where that crazy Jedi can’t find us.”

“I’m sure he fell over.”

They couldn’t bet on that. Those Jedi could survive a lot.

“He was going to kill you.” Boba pointed out. “I thought Jedi didn’t kill.”

This one was willing to make an exception, and it was over that other youngster whom Jango had killed on Geonosis when trying to shoot at Skywalker himself. Owen Lars. He must’ve been important to Skywalker if he was willing to kill over him.

All the more reason to disappear - for the time being, at least.

4. PlanetSmasher

PlanetSmasher Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 14, 2017
    Anakin disappointed me. I was hoping, he would remember the Jedi Code. *sigh*

Last edited: Jan 5, 2023
  5. FORCEBlLADE

Mar 2, 2003
    Chapter 26

Despite the continuing fall of heavy rain and explosive lightning Anakin still managed to spot Jango Fett’s ship, in the distance, rise away to disappear into the clouds. Cursing under his breath, he forced himself to put that anger aside in order to focus on the task at hand.

Right now he was barely hanging onto the thin - but strong - cable that was keeping Anakin connected to the very edge of the landing platform, preventing his fall to the brutal waters far below. No doubt fatal.

With his mechanical hand he started to try to pull himself up - only to slip down the cable nearly to its end point. Grasping onto it with his still flesh hand burned into said flesh. Growling through that burning pain he used the same hand to reach for his comlink-

-only to find it missing from his belt. It was either lost during his fight against Fett, or it dropped down into the ocean without him.

So much for calling for help.

Surely Padme would start to wonder what was taking Anakin so long and send her people to come find him. But could he hang on long enough?

He could keep trying to climb, but he was sure the cable hook was barely hanging in there, and any motion could cause it to break off and send Anakin down to his watery grave.

Probably fitting for letting Fett get away.

If Padme would just get to him - and soon.

“Padme.” he called out.

—-------

“Anakin.”

Of course the young Jedi was all she had been thinking about since he left to go arrest Jango Fett, but all of sudden Padme had gotten a feeling of sorts about him - or rather from from.

A feeling of urgency. Desperation. A call for help.

“Senator, our sensors picked up a ship leaving the city,” Kitster said from his pilot’s seat.

“The bounty hunter, maybe?” she wondered.

“It’s a big city. It could be anybody,” Captain Typho reasoned.

But that feeling she had gotten about Anakin told her differently. “Take us to where that ship left from. Now!”

Though the sensors picked the ship taking off from a general vicinity there were a handful of platforms and hangars in said vicinity where it could;ve been docked. Yet, somehow Padme knew which one to go to. She directed Kitster to a platform that looked empty, at first glance, but once they circled around they all spotted a figure hanging off from the edge of the platform by a cable, barely hanging on against the merciless winds.

“Move beneath him!’ Padme ordered before springing out of the cockpit.

Captain Typho ran right behind her towards the airlock that led to the roof of the ship. “Let me, M’lady.” Stopping her from climbing through the first door. Albeit reluctantly she hopped off the ladder to let him go up in her place.

It was only a minute - but Padme didn’t think she ever lived through a minute as long as this one - for Captain Typho to come back down, now with his entire upper body soaked. He was immediately followed by completely drenched Anakin whom she jumped onto, not caring that she was letting soaking in much of the rain into her own clothes.

Ordering Captain Typho back to the cockpit, instructing Kitster to set a course back to Coruscant. Meanwhile Padme took Anakin to the med bay The cuts on both his wrist and hand needed tending to. There were also bruises that ended examining.

He moaned as she stuck the bacta patch on his cut hand. “You’re lucky that’s all you need.”

“Yes, M’lady.”

She gently stroked the bruise on his cheek. It would swell a bit, but that was it.

R2 arrived carrying changes of clothes for them both which Padme accepted. “Thank you. If you could give us some privacy, please.”

The astromech droid beeped out a comment that gave off the sense of teasing. “If you don’t mind, R2,” Padme said with much more force. So the droid left, but did so continuing to give off some sort of tease right up until the door closed behind him.

Padme handed Anakin a set of simple blue garments that belonged to one of the security guards, then she walked around to a white curtain that separated Anakin’s bed from another.

“Thank you for looking after me - and saving my life, of course.” She could hear him begin to undress. She shivered, but not from the cold.

“Well I wouldn’t have been able to get to you in time if you hadn’t-”

Would he know what Padme was talking about if she told him?

“If I hadn’t what, M’lady?”

“Call me Padme.” She looked over to the curtain where Anakin’s shadowy figure could be seen through. Suddenly her mouth was drowning. “You . . . you reached out to me. I felt you.”

In the great haste she changed into her dry clothes. Anakin then walked around the curtain, completely changed. “I felt you too. I wasn’t sure if I imagined it, or not.”

“You didn’t.”

“Senator-”

“Padme.”

Without realizing it Padme stepped towards him, swallowing the ocean that manifested into her mouth, thirsting for something else. Without thought she leaned herself up and met his lips with hers.

Despite the coldness in his lips there was a warmth between them now that she didn’t know existed until this moment. Because it could’ve only existed with him.

But then she broke away,” No.” She remembered who she was. Who he was. “I shouldn’t have done that.”

“I’m sorry.” He stepped away from her, returning to a formal stance.

“It’s just - we can’t - I can’t - it’s just not possible.”

“Padme, anything is possible. Listen to me.” He took a step back towards her. “We could keep it a secret.”

“We’d be living a lie.” But denying what’s between them would be the bigger lie, wouldn’t it?

“From the moment I met you, all those years ago, not a day has passed when I haven’t thought of you. I was sure you were an angel. The most beautiful creature in the universe.”

Of course it had been obvious from their first meeting that Anakin held a crush for Padme, but at the time she was incapable of returning anything other than a platonic affection for someone so young.

Now though he was a man. A man who in the span of only a few days had become one of the most important people in her life, and whom she had no desire to lose from this point on.

He continued to say, “Believe me, I wish that I could wish my feelings away, but I can’t.”

“Neither can I.”

So without any caution for what would come later she took him by the waist to pull him back into another, far more passionate, kiss.

There was no going back.

6. FORCEBlLADE

Mar 2, 2003
    Chapter 27

Once the Galactic Senate was informed of the clone army a unified call was made to put them to action, which Chancellor Palpatine was able to sanction with newly instated emergency powers.

Kamino was contacted to begin preparation for deployment, which would commence once a group of Jedi Masters, Yoda and Windu included, arrived to take command over various garrisons.

Before departing, though, the Chancellor requested an audience with the Jedi Council; as well as for Anakin to be in attendance. Even though he hadn’t asked for Obi-Wan’s presence, Master Yoda summoned him along with Anakin. So all three stood before the Council in their chamber.

“First thing I would like to say is thank you to young Skywalker.” Offering his hand to him, Anakin shook it. “Had you not been so determined to locate that bounty hunter we would not have learned about this clone army.”

Feeling the need to interject, Obi-Wan spoke up, “No doubt the Kaminoans would’ve contacted us about the army, eventually.”

The Chancellor slightly bobbed his head. “And by that point, who knows how many would’ve already been lost because we didn’t yet have the means to protect ourselves.”

While Anakin did little to hide his delight in being complimented, Obi-Wan kept a neutral expression, despite his feelings of disapproval of Palpatine rubbing the young man’s ego, especially over an act of absolute recklessness.

“In fact, his bold actions are the reason I asked to meet,” the Chancellor went on. “Now that we’re at war, cooperation between my office and this Council will be all the more important.”

Yoda nodded. “Agree on this, we do, Chancellor.”

“It is with this in mind that I wish to appoint Skywalker as my personal liaison between myself and the Council.”

“A liaison?” Obi-Wan didn’t hold in his bafflement. “Is such a role necessary?”

Palpatine looked at him, seeming perplexed by his even questioning this. “Oh, I believe so. This war will demand much of all of us. Maintaining open communications between our parties is essential - but could nevertheless prove to be a challenge.”

“And you believe Anakin Skywalker to be the one to maintain the stability of our communications.” The tone Master Windu expressed showed one of bewilderment.

Eyeing Anakin, he smiled. “I am confident in his abilities. Because of him we knew of the Separatists’ army on Geonosis before they got the chance to take us by surprise, and now he has given us the blessings of the clones. I trust him with this responsibility.”

Master Koon spoke up, “The reality is that we don’t know where this war will take each of us. Maintaining open channels while spread across the galaxy could prove difficult. The role of a liaison between ourselves, and the Chancellor could prove useful.”

A reluctant agreement passed through the chamber; not even Obi-Wan himself could deny that. Yet still, Anakin being at the center of this arrangement. Putting aside his youth and experience in such matters, there was something else about this role that left him unsettled. Chancellor Plapatine’s continued attention to him felt like some sort of angle the politician was working.

To what end, he could not yet see.

“In any case, young Skywalker’s status within the Jedi Order is still in question,” Master Mundi pointed out.

Palpatine gave a disappointed frown. “Surely, at such a time of conflict, you can see that every capable hand is needed. To dismiss young Skywalker at the dawn of this war would be a loss for this Order.”

“That is for us to decide, Chancellor.” Windu did nothing to hide his command in saying this to him, making it clear that the man had no vote in this matter.

Holding up a hand, Papatine said, “Of course, yet I must speak what I believe to be true.” Pointing over to Anakin. “And that is that we need this young man alongside us in the days to come - perhaps years to come.”

None of the Masters spoke right away, but there were plenty of silent exchanges that went around that told Obi-Wan that a discussion was being had over what to do with Chancellor’s proposition.

“Master Kenobi,” Yoda addressed. “Opinion, do you have, of this arrangement?”

All eyes fell on him. Obi-Wan took note of Anakin’s more than anyone else’s. In them saw hope that his friend would speak on his behalf. Yet should he? Could this young man handle such a position? Should the Council officially reinstate him back as a padawan? His actions in going to both Geonosis and Kamino said no.

Yet Obi-Wan couldn’t deny his growing abilities as a Jedi. Were he dismissed at this point, left to his own devices, he could stray down the wrong path; especially with the Sith out there. Qui-Gon still believed in him, and his destiny.

So Obi-Wan came to only one solution.

“Should Anakin be given this position, then I volunteer to continue his training, in my Master Jinn’s place. My current apprentice will soon be knighted, alongside other senior apprentices, so I will be free to take Anakin as my Padawan learner - which will also include guiding him in his liaison duties.”

Again, the Masters exchanged silent conversation among themselves. After what felt like ages, Yoda finally announced, ”Agree to this the Council does. Your apprentice, Skywalker will be. Liaison to the Chancellor, he will be.”

Chancellor Palpatine raised his hands in joy. “Excellent.”

Anakin only offered Obi-Wan a quick grin of gratitude.

I hope I don’t regret this.

—-------

“No question Anakin is honored by this new post.”

After the Chancellor departed the Temple Obi-Wan left Anakin and Olana to spar together for the rest of the day while he went to visit Qui-Gon at the Republic prison facility where he was being detained, to tell him of everything that had transpired since their return from Geonosis.

Through the light but impenetrable red-shielded door that separated his master’s cell from the hallway Obi-Wan could easily see Qui-Gon’s concern.

“The Council has given me permission to continue his training, so I will be in a position to help him.”

“Good.” Qui-Gon took a moment to look at the cameras in both his cell and the hallway. Leaning in as close to the shield door as he could he whispered, “You mustn’t let the Chancellor have much time alone with Anakin. My feelings say he does not have his best interests at heart.”

“You believe he’s using Anakin.” This was a statement rather than a question. IN the years since Palpatine ascension to Chancellorship he came to observe that Sheev Palpatine was a master at masquerading himself as a man of the people when, in truth, he always looked to use people to serve his own personal gain. Of course, this was a trait Obi-Wan found to be common in many politicians.

“His interest in him through the years have left me weary.” He dropped his volume down to a whimper, barely audible for Obi-Wan to hear. “Especially since what Dooku told me about the senate.”

“Do you still believe his claims; even after what happened on Geonosis?”

“Deceiving with the truth is the way of the dark side. If Sidious is influencing the senate from the shadows then we can’t rule out the possibility that his reach goes as far as the Chancellor’s office.”

Now this sent a chill up Obi-Wan’s spine. If the Palpatine was keeping Anakin close by his side, as a proxy to the Sith, then Anakin was in danger. One of the few good things about the war will be that Palpatine won’t have too many opportunities to be around Anakin. So neither will the Sith.

“Thank you for continuing to stand by Anakin’s side, Obi-Wan. He will be a better Jedi for it. Better than I could’ve ever taught him to be.”

“I care for him like a brother, my Master. I wish to see him live up to his potential.” Referring to him as a brother made him think of young Owen Lars. “I also worry for him. Jango Fett is still out there, and Anakin will not rest until he hunts him down.”

“Then all the more reason to be there for him - but not just as a teacher.”

Yes, if Anakin was to be kept from seeking vengeance for justice for his step-brother’s death then Obi-Wan would need to reach him as a friend would. As family would.

“Will you be okay, Master?”

Qui-Gon looked behind him to his small cell, with what looked to be a hard to sleep in bunk, as well as a sink and toilet on one side. “I’ve had worse accommodations this last year.”

“With the Trade Federation now defected to the Separatists the charges against you might be dropped.”

“TIme will tell. Whatever the case, help Anakin. He is your Padawan now. You are his only hope.”

No pressure there, of course.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2023
  7. FORCEBlLADE

Mar 2, 2003
    Chapter 28

In the months that followed Geonosis Anakin had a lot to contend with:

Training with Obi-Wan on a daily basis, reporting between the Chancellor and the Jedi Council. Not to mention leaving on missions from one system to the next, the latest of which had taken him back to Tatooine to deliver Jabba the Hutt’s kidnapped son back to him, to his resentment. Doing anything kind for that slaver made his blood boil.

Upon arriving back at the Jedi Temple Olana was waiting for them in the hangar with a Togruta girl. “Master Kenobi, Anakin, I’d like you to meet my apprentice, Ahsoka Tano.”

Due to his surprise Anakin didn’t immediately extend his hand to the young girl when she offered it. “Ahsoka?” Repeating the name helped him completely register her presence here.

She nodded, and then moved on to shaking Obi-Wan’s hand. “It’s an honor to you both.”

“Congratulations, Ahsoka. You couldn’t do any better than my former padawan.”

Obi-Wan’s vote of confidence produced joined smiles from the two female Jedi. Anakin couldn’t help but wonder if he would be saying this if it were Anakin who had been assigned as this girl’s Master.

Not that the Council would be letting that happen anytime soon.

“We’re just glad we caught you before we had to leave.” She looked behind them to an already powered-on ship. “We hope to see you again soon.”

“May the Force be with you, both.”

“And with you.”

The two padawans simply nodded before Olana and Ahsoka boarded the ship. After it took off out of the hangar Obi-Wan asked, “Is it frustrating for you?”

“Master?”

“I can sense your frustration. Resentment, even.”

“I . . .”

“Same as when Olana, and the others were Knighted.”

Only a few weeks after the war began a handful of senior padawans were knighted by the Council, some of whom were as young as Anakin - yet he was excluded.

Yes, he knew that every single one of them had been training since near infancy, while Anakin only for the past five years - but he had come so far in that short time, compared to so many others. His strength in the Force couldn’t be questioned, but the Council insisted on holding him back.

Qui-Gon would have spoken up for him to be granted the rank of Knight align with the others. So why hadn’t Obi-Wan?

“I know I offer more to the war effort if I’m given the chance.”

“If you’re knighted?’

“Yes.”

“Your time will come. Patience.”

That was easier said than done. Luckily he could distract himself with reporting to Master Yoda, followed by meeting with the Chancellor to deliver his full report on the recent events. Normally, Obi-Wan would come too but he had just been granted a visitation with Qui-Gon, which were few and scarce. Anakin had yet to be allowed to see his other master himself, due to security concerns.

So after showering and changing they parted the temple on separate transports.

The Chancellor was in a meeting with several senators when he arrived - including Padme - so he waited patiently for them to be done and leave. “Jedi Skywalker,” Padme greeted professionally as she passed him at the doorway. “Senator,” he replied flatly.

Perhaps too flatly. There was such a thing trying too hard to hide something. No time to question his mannerisms, though. “Good evening Chancellor.”

“Welcome, Anakin.” the Chancellor, on the hand, had no qualms about being casual, or familial in fact with him. “Well done with rescuing Jabba’s son.”

After he finished his full report Chancellor Palpatine walked around the table to put a hand on his shoulder. “Jabba’s hyperspace routes will be beneficial to the Republic during this war. You have done us a great service. Thank you, my boy”

With the exception of Qui-Gon, Anakin wouldn’t be able to find such gratitude like this within the Jedi Council. He truly was fortunate to have Palpatine behind him.

“How was your mother?”

“My . . “

“Oh, come now, Anakin. How could you not pass on the opportunity to see her while on Tatooine - especially after all that’s happened.”

Yes, Anakin had visited the homestead before returning to Coruscant. His mother was well, thankfully.

Cliegg was another story.

Although physically he was as well as ever, emotionally, spiritually, he was nursing a wound that wasn’t healing. Anakin could sense it as soon as he walked up to greet him at a vaporator that he was tending to.

His stepfather’s soul was limping.

As brave of a face as he was putting up he was only going through motions of living.

His and Shmi’s only solace was Beru, who had chosen to move in with them and help with the homestead. Though she kept a kind demeanor with Anakin he could sense a sort of calm resentment towards him, and he couldn’t blame her. He hated himself for Owen’s death more than anyone else could.

“She’s as well as to be expected.”

“Can the same be said for you?”

Not seeing any need to hide his feelings he shook his head. The Chancellor set a hand on his shoulder, offering a somber but warming smile. A gesture most Jedi couldn’t seem to manage.

“Anakin, I want you to know that the Republic is in debt to you for finding the clones, when you did.”

“It wasn’t as if I was looking for them.” He flashed back to his face-to-face encounter with Jango Fett on Kamino, wishing that he had ignited his lightsaber right then and there.

There is no emotion, there is peace.

“It’s okay Anakin,” the Chancellor said to him. “That bounty hunter killed your stepbrother. Of course you want to find him - perhaps even kill him.”

It was hard not to be taken aback by his statement. Not just anybody would so openly speak of killing out of revenge. Jedi or otherwise. “It is a natural desire, Anakin. I assume Master Kenobi has counseled you on quelling such feelings.” His last words were carried with an air of disenchantment.

Anakin nodded. Meditation and finding harmony in Force was key, as far as Obi-Wan was concerned. Yet, most nights Anakin found himself looking up to the sky, wondering where in the galaxy Jango Fett was. Seeing his mother, stepfather, and Beru again only made his desire to find him grow like boiling hot water.

“Patience, Anakin,” the Chancellor said to him softly. “In time, I am confident this war will bring many things to a head for all of us.”

—-------

Once leaving the Chancellor’s office, instead of heading for the docking platforms, he sneaked over to another office where he hoped he could have another one-on-one meeting.

Thankfully, Padme was alone in her office. “This is risky,” she told him as soon as the doors closed and locked behind him.

A mischievous smile formed in his face, for which he made no effort to withhold. “Risky, but fun. No?”

To his delight she couldn’t hold in her own playful smile, which was all the permission he needed to initiate an embrace and rest his lips onto hers..

But after breaking apart Padme went back to being concerned. “Have you thought anymore about how we could possibly keep making this work?”

But why would he? There was really no need to. “We’ve been over this: With my position as liaison between the Council and the Chancellor I can walk through these halls without anyone questioning it.”

But she shook her head. “I’m not talking about us getting to see each other. I’m talking about the future. Where could this possibly go for us, Anakin?”

“One of Master Yoda’s favorite lessons is to not spend so much time looking to the future, to the horizon.” He pushed Padme’s dropped face up by the chin to meet back with him. “Keep your mind on where you are. What you are doing.”

“Funny. I’ve always had that mindset, myself - until recently.” She walked over to her window. “Now, I can’t stop pondering the future. One where you and I can walk together, in public, hand-in-hand. Share a home together.” She hesitated before continuing, “Have a family.”

There was nothing Anakin was hearing that he hadn’t pondered himself. Especially the family part. If she were to have his child someday odds were the Force would be strong in him or her. Would that be a good or bad thing?

“Is that something you would want?” He walked up behind her, setting his real arm around her shoulder. “To have a family with me?”

Her first response was a laugh, followed by, “For most of my life, it wasn’t something I cared to give much thought about - until now. You’ve done something to me no one else ever has.” Padme paused, then explained, “You’re making me think about my life instead of the lives of others.”

“My apologies, M’lady.”

Again, she laughed. “You can apologize to me when I have to face the wrath of the Jedi Council someday.”

“Someday.” He turned her away from the window so he could have her in his arms again.”But not today.” Then he kissed her once more.

—-------

The days in his prison cell passed with little awareness, except for the break in isolation that came when being visited by Obi-Wan, Master Yoda, or Master Windu, which weren’t very frequent on account of security concerns.

But Qui-Gon kept himself sane through the Force, as well as with the remaining task of uncloaking the face of the Sith.

“Your incarceration does provide you with more than enough time to dwell on the matter,” Obi-Wan assessed.

From the other side of the shielded doorway of the prison cell his former apprentice was visibly worn down. Already the few months of war had challenged him in ways that Qui-Gon had never prepared him for. Challenges made all the more strenuous by the training of Anakin.

“Yes, and one thing I can be sure of is that the Sith’s shadow envelopes the Senate.”

“The Council has made a point of keeping a closer eye on them - but with these claims coming from Dooku himself, their skepticism is quite unanimous.”

Understandable, yet still frustrating. If his former Master was indeed aligned with the SIth now, then what better way to confuse the Jedi Order then by telling them the truth. Of course they would question the claim, even deny it completely. Especially when looking at a certain bounty hunter.

“What news of Jango Fett?”

To this Obi-Wan shook his head. Qui-Gon believed finding him was key. The fact that this man was not only working for Dooku, but also just happened to be the source of the clone army bred for the Republic was not a coincidence. Yes, bounty hunters took jobs from anyone who had the money, but Fett being so intertwined to both sides of this war wasn’t by chance.

The Sith were at play here.

On a more personal level the bounty hunter needed to be found and arrested by anyone other than Anakin, which was why Qui-Gon had Obi-Wan assign this search to Olana and her new apprentice. Although he didn’t admit it, Anakin probably came close to killing Fett on Kamino. Such a vengefully driven act would’ve cost the young man dearly.

“The fact that Anakin’s posting as the Chancellor’s liaison keeps us here in the capital for much of the time is a silver lining,” Obi-Wan admitted, but then seemed to become sour in regret for saying it. “Yet I do still worry. Not just whether the Chancellor is using him, but if Darth Sidious is influencing the Senate from within then we’ve allowed Anakin to take a position in the gundark’s nest.”

“All the more reason to teach him to stay alert in such a nest,” Qui-Gon told him. “To be mindful of the Living Force.”

Obi-Wan nodded.”Master Windu told me that there was a development in your case, but he didn’t elaborate.”

Taking a moment, Qui-Gon leaned forward a little to just a nose away from the cell’s shield. “The Courts have decided to hand me over to the Trade Federation for trial.”

“What? But . . . no! How . . . could they do this?

“The Courts - as well as the Senate - see it as a gesture of good faith towards the Separatists. Perhaps even a step in calling a ceasefire.”

“Surely, the Council can do something.”

But Qui-Gon shook his head. “I’m afraid this is out of their hands.”

In a rare moment for his former apprentice, Obi-Wan became visibly agitated. “The Trade Federation thinks you killed their Viceroy, and with Dooku influencing them you will surely be executed, like you would’ve been on Geonosis.”

“We’ll worry about that tomorrow. Right now there’s one thing you must concern yourself with.” He didn’t need to say what it was for Obi-Wan to know.

That being having to tell Anakin about Qui-Gon’s fate.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2023
  8. FORCEBlLADE

Mar 2, 2003
    Chapter 29

“There she is.”

The ship was certainly the same model as the one Anakin described, but if it was the exact same one that belonged to Jango Fett still remained to be seen.

“Anybody on board?” Olana asked her padawan.

Ahsoka closed her eyes to concentrate. “Not that I can sense.”

“Then we wait.”

They backed out a good enough distance away from the landing platform outside of one of Canto Bight’s many casinos, where they had tracked the ship to after a lengthy chase of another bounty hunter associate of Fett’s named Zam Wessel that only ended when Olana set herself as bait to lure her into making a move.

Best way to catch a prey is to let them become the predator. One of Obi-Wan’s best lessons.

Now they would have to wait within cover, which the night’s heavy fog was able to provide.

“What if he doesn’t return tonight,” Ahsoka suggested. “He might not be leaving here anytime soon.”

“Then we’ll have to lure him out - but first, patience.”

This earned her a sigh from her new padawan. “How did I not know you were going to say that, Master.”

Already Olana could tell this was not going to be as smooth as a mentorship for them, like it might have been between her and Obi-Wan. Ahsoka Tano immediately showed herself to be one of brash and impulsive actions.

Much like Anakin. It was a laugh to think how he would do as the girl’s Master,

Once more she found herself wondering how he was going to feel if Olana succeeded in bringing the bounty hunter into custody. Frustrated, no doubt. Finding his step brother’s killer hadn’t been far from his mind for months.

But it would be better if anybody other than Anakin found the bounty hunter. It was evident to her - as well as Obi-Wan - from when Anakin recounted his fight against him that he wouldn’t have likely arrested the man had he not managed to get away.

So Anakin needed to be denied any more chances of finding him again, which was why Obi-Wan tasked Olana with finding Jango Fett herself.

For Anakin’s sake.

Several hours passed. It was close to midnight now, and still no Fett.

“Can we lure him out now,” Ahsoka asked with hope.

She took a moment before saying, “What do you have in mind?”

“He might come around if say he was alerted to someone trying to break into his ship.”

“Would you know how to break in?”

“Yes -only I would have to do it in a less than professional manner, in order to ensure the alarm is triggered.”

Olana waved over to the ship. “Then by all means, my apprentice. Once you’ve triggered the alarm, hide on the opposite side so we can trap him.”

“Understood, Master.”

So Ahsoka sprinted back towards the ship. Olana watched her through the mist with her binoculars as she reached it, opened a panel next to the main hatch and started tinkering with the wiring inside.

It took a few minutes for a siren within the ship to go off, also triggering a sense of self-gratification in Ahsoka that Olana could easily sense. Yes, much like Anakin.

The girl disappeared into the fog in the next few seconds, leaving Olana to put her attention back to the casino. Within a minute or two the nearest door opened, and a lone figure stepped outside, shooting out into the via a jetpack, in what some might call a long hop from the casino door to the ship.

“Hello, Jango Fett.”

Lightsaber in hand, but not ignited, Olana rushed for the ship. As she closed on it - as well as the bounty hunter - Ahsoka also appeared from the other side, lightsaber also in hand and ready to ignite, if need be.

“You’re a hard man to find.”

With the reflexes to match a Jedi the armored man pulled out his twin blasters, pointing both directly at Olana’s head. With his attention completely on her, Ahsoka ignited her blade behind him, pointing its end at his neck.

“You Jedi just can’t seem to get enough of me, can you?”

“You’re the one making yourself so attractive,” Ahsoka remarked.”All your neat tricks.”

“Don’t assume you’ve seen them all.”

Dropping down into a roll, Fett started shooting at them before he even made it back up to his feet. Olana barely ignited her lightsaber in time to deflect his bolts.

Just as both she and Ahsoka took a step towards the bounty he switched tactics by firing a flamethrower from his wrist, which forced her apprentice to hop away. Olana, however, managed to keep the flames at bay.

The inferno finally disappeared, but Fett then retreated into the air, perching himself at the top of his ship. Crouched downwards Olana immediately took note of the missile attached to his jetpack, which he fired directly at his apprentice.

While she was quick to sumersault away from its course the missile merely changed directly to stay on its target. With great effort Olana was able to grab hold of the missile with Force to have it pass over Ahsoka and crash down on the pavement.

With her attention completely focused on saving her apprentice she didn’t have time to stop Fett from dropping down behind her and shooting out a cable that wrapped itself around her upper body.

A blaster barrel then came up close between her eyes. “Don’t move Jedi.”

“Don’t even think about pulling that trigger,” Ahsoka warned him, while raising her hand.

“Do you think you’ll be able to pull one of your Force tricks before I pull that trigger?”

“Dad!”

From the direction of the doors came a young boy whom Olana quickly recognized as the ten year-old version of the numerous clones whom she had already become acquainted with in the last few months. This was the unaltered clone Jango Fett had been given as part of his payment by the Kaminoans that Anakin had mentioned.

“Do you really want to do this in front of your son?” Olana questioned.

Without needing to see his face she imagined a sneer of some kind form under that helmet. “My boy understands what it takes to survive in this galaxy.”

As if on cue the boy pulled out his one blaster from under his long cloak to shoot at Ahsoka - only she waved it off his grip before he could get a shot at her.

“You have confidence, kid. I’ll give you that.” Ahsoka approached the boy, lightsaber deactivated and clipped back to her belt. Boba didn’t move but he kept his gaze fixed on her in resilience. “But if you’re grown up enough to try and kill someone, then you should also be able to accept what might come of it.”

Her senses told her that Jango Fett’s attention went completely towards his son, so she spun up her still activated lightsaber to cut at her cables - without burning at her clothes - and spinning the blade through his blaster, leaving only the handle on his grip. In the second spin the blade came to rest right against Fett’s neck.

“Now, let’s try this again.”

“Dad!”

Ahsoka set a hand gently on the boy’s chest as he leaned forward.

Jango Fett looked back at Olana. “I think it’s time we enter into a little negotiation.”

“There is no negotiating your way out of our custody.”

“Don’t be too sure about that, Jedi.”

The air of confidence in his tone peeped her interest as what he could possibly say that would get them to let the bounty hunter go free.

—-------

The transport taking Obi-Wan’s former Master to the Trade Federation headquarters in Cato Neimoidia was also carrying a squad of clone troopers, Trade Federation senator Lott Dod, Masters Windu and Yoda. As well as Obi-Wan and Anakin, who sat with a restrained Qui-Gon between them.

“We will be coming out of hyperspace in five minutes,” said the pilot through the ship’s intercom system.

“Why are we allowing this to happen?” Anakin asked, and not for the first time since learning about this development.

“Because the Senate and the Courts have both deemed it necessary,” Obi-Wan explained again. “It is out of our hands, Padawan.”

But his apprentice eyed Master Yoda and Windu, who sat at the other end of the cabin, speaking with Dod. “If the Council were willing to stand up for you, Master Jinn, there might have been a chance - but instead they choose to appease the bureaucrats, and a senator who shouldn’t even be allowed to have a voice in the Senate.”

“Anakin, I need you to listen,” Qui-Gon used a soft, but firm tone, which he had used on Obi-Wan on more than a few occasions as well. “At the end of the day the Council only has so much sway in the arena of politics. Especially when the Sith are involved.”

“Which we now know includes Dooku.”

No question, Dooku had indeed Qui-Gon up to take the fall for Nute Gunray’s assassination, but without proof there was no stopping this.

“I went to the Chancellor before we left Coruscant, but even with his emergency powers there was nothing he could do for us.”

Would he even care to do anything if he could?

It felt like a fair question to ask. After all, Qui-Gon potentially being handed over to his executioners meant that Anakin would lean on the Supreme Chancellor even more. Both of the boy’s Masters shared this concern.

After coming out of hyperspace they entered Cato Neimoidia the next minute, and they eventually landed on an exterior platform to the Trade Federation’s headquarters.

Once the ramp came down Lott Dod stepped out first, with Masters Yoda and Windu at his tail. Qui-Gon was escorted out with clone troopers divided at his front and back. Obi-Wan and Anakin stayed to his right and left.

On the platform a squad of B-1 battle droids were protecting a gathering of several Neimoidians representing the Trade Federation, as well as Count Dooku himself.

“Welcome, Masters.”

“My old Padawan.”

One of the Neimoidians, Rune Haako, who followed the late Nute Gunray as Viceroy of the Trade Federation, stepped forward. “Justice for my predecessor is long overdue, master Jinn. I do hope you have settled your affairs now.”

“We all know it wasn’t my Master who killed Gunray,” Anakin bellowed for everyone to hear.

“Evidence speaks to the contrary, though, doesn’t it,” Dooku countered. “It’s as hard to accept for me as any of you, I can assure you.”

“Lies, deceit, creating mistrusts are your ways now, Dooku,” Yoda declared with an ache. “The dark side is in you, now.”

“Do you truly have no remorse for your actions, my old Master?” Qui-Gon asked. “Not for my situation - but for all that the galaxy has been consumed into?”

Not even batting an eye, Dooku simply said, “All is as it should be, my old apprentice.”

Without needing to see him, Obi-Wan could sense Anakin about to take a step towards Count Dooku, so he called out to him in a whisper. When he looked over to him Obi-Wan shook his head, convincing him to pull himself back.

“Let’s not delay this any further,” Senator Dod insisted. “As representative of the Trade Federation in the Republic Senate I hereby surrender this prisoner into the custody of the Separatists Council.”

The senator, Council members, and troopers all stepped aside to make way for Qui-Gon to approach Dooku and his party, with his two apprentices escorting him.

Then one of the battle droids stepped over to Dooku. “Count, we are receiving a request for landing at this platform by another Republic vessel. More Jedi.”

“What is the meaning of this?” Haako bellowed. “What are you Jedi trying to pull?”

“We are as in the dark about this as you,” Master Windu assured him.

“Allow them to land,” Dooku told the droid. Just as Haako was about to object he raised his hand to insist on his silence. “I assure you we are in no danger here.”

So the ship was allowed to land right beside their own, from which Olana and her new apprentice Ahsoka exited.

“Pardon the interruptions, Masters,” Olana said during a quick bow. “But it was urgent that we speak to both parties present, as soon as possible.”

“Explain your business here, Jedi?” Senator Dod said, clearly annoyed.

“We’re here to clear Master Qui-Gon Jinn of the assassination of Nute Gunray,” Ahsoka said happily.

From inside of her robe Olana pulled out a holo recorder, activating the image of what looked like Rune Haako and Senator Dod.

“The Jedi got away before I could even engage him.”

This sounded like an older clone, which led Obi-Wan to assume it was their genetic source, Jango Fett.

“This wasn’t supposed to happen!” Senator Dod bellowed. “The Jedi was never supposed to make it out of this headquarters with his life!”

“Viceroy Nute Gunray is still dead,” Haako pointed out. “That was the primary objective.”

“But with our patsy still alive we are left with a loose end.”

But Haako waved him off. “He will be found and dealt with. Now with Gunray removed from power I can assume control and the Trade Federation can join Dooku’s movement without delays.”

The holo was turned off and Olana handed it to Master Yoda. “There’s more, but you’ve seen the most relevant details. Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn was set up to take the fall for Nute Gunray’s assassination. He’s innocent.”

“This is an outrage!” Senator Dod cried. “I will not stand for such fabrication.”

“Feel free to have it checked. The recording is authentic.”

Looking from the recording to Dooku, Yoda smiled. “Hmm, more to discuss on this matter now, I believe.”

Last edited: Dec 18, 2023
  9. FORCEBlLADE

Mar 2, 2003
    Chapter 30

It was late when they returned to the Jedi Temple. From the hangar both Masters Windu and Yoda bid the rest of the group good night and retired.

“Even though it’s already been said, thank you both,” Qui-Gon said to Olana and Ahsoka. “Your efforts are to be commended by the Council, if I have anything to say about it.”

“We uncovered the truth, Master Jinn. No thanks is necessary,” Olana insisted.

“I only wish Haako and Senator Dod were facing charges themselves,” Anakin spat.

Because the Trade Federation senator immediately broke away from the Republic once the recording was revealed, and became a part of the Separatists Senate, he was now under the jurisdiction of their judgment. Not that any of them expected the two to receive any official charges.

After all they had put Qui-Gon through, they deserved so much.

“His name cleared. It’s over now, and we can move on,” Obi-Wan declared.

Ahsoka asked Qui-Gon, “Now the question remains: what’s next for you, Master.”

“A good question.” He looked at both Obi-Wan and Anakin. “Something that should be discussed - but in the morning.”

With that, Qui-Gon bid everyone goodnight, and left the hangar. Olana and Ahsoka followed, and Obi-Wan became inclined to do the same after them. “I need to take a walk, and clear my head, Master.”

“Don’t stay up too long. You’ll need to report to the Chancellor early in the morning,” he pointed out.

Before that, though, there was somebody Anakin was scheduled to meet. So he rushed to Padme’s apartment, where she had relieved her staff to clear a path for him.

It was only after they kissed for a long minute that they actually said hello to each other. “The news reached the Senate of Qui-Gon’s name being cleared,” she informed him. “So I knew to expect you to be in a good mood.”

“Good mood doesn’t begin to cover it.” He could feel the street of his face from smiling as wide as he possibly could. “After all the bad things that have happened: his framing, the war, Owen, it feels good to have something go right.”

She raised an eyebrow. “So nothing else has gone right for you, lately?”

“Almost nothing.”

He kissed her again, this time letting last a lot lon-

“Anakin.”

Both he and Padme broke apart in a jump, looking over to the elevator’s doorway, where Qui-Gon Jinn stood.

If it had been any other Jedi standing there, - Mace Windu, Yoda, Olana, even Obi-Wan - seeing Anakin in such an intimate embrace with Padme, there would certainly be some mix of bewilderment and judgment. But with Qui-Gon, there was simply an expression of curiosity.

“I’m sorry for interrupting your rendezvous, but I felt that a discussion about this was warranted,” he insisted kindly, and walked over to one of the couches. “Let’s have a seat.”

Sitting down on the other couch with Padme, Anakin wondered if this was what it felt like for a normal person to introduce a parent to their romantic partner.

“I presume nobody outside of this room knows about the two of you?”

“That is correct, Master Jinn,” Padme confirmed.

“Then let’s try and keep it that way.”

“Master-”

But he raised a hand, indicating he wasn’t done speaking. “I won’t pretend to believe that there is anything I can say that will dissuade either of you from ending this relationship. Despite all the dangers and consequences you must know you’ll be facing.”

He and Padme looked at each other, instinctively holding hands. “We do,” Padme said.

“Yet, you choose to act on these feelings, regardless?” Qui-Gon wasn’t saying this judge, but rather asking so as to understand.

While keeping her eyes on Anakin, she answered, “It’s irrational, and dangerous, but I’m willing to embrace that for him.”

“If the Council found out, you could be expelled.”

Meeting his eyes, Anakin nodded. “I know, and I can’t also can’t expect to be the exception to every rule. All I can tell you, Master, is that I don’t want to think about tomorrow. I just want to be with Padme, here and now.”

The older Jedi’s immediate response was a simple moan; not of annoyance, but of expectation. Then he stood and bowed. “Senator Amidala, it was a pleasure to see you again. I shall see you, young padawan, in the morning.”

He was almost to the elevator when Anakin caught up to him. “Master, how did you know?”

Now, the Jedi Master looked disappointed. “Anakin, it didn’t take the Force to see how you felt about her from the very first time you saw Padme. I knew then it would only a matter of time”

So if Qui-Gon could read him so easily, how before others saw what was going on? Anakin needed to get better at hiding his feelings. Especially from those who knew him well.

“Thank you, Qui-Gon.”

“For what, Anakin?”

“For supporting us.”

It seemed like he was thinking carefully about what he would say before putting a hand on his shoulder, and speaking. “Moving forward, understand that as natural and wonderful as what you have with her is - it can also be dangerous. Love is a lightsaber, Anakin. Wield it irresponsibly, it can cut you both down. So wield it with care.”

Even after Qui-Gon stepped into the elevator, and the doors closed, Anakin remained in the small entrance room, pondering his master’s warning. He couldn’t imagine ever being so careless with his relationship with Padme that it would hurt either one of them - especially her.

But was that exactly what everyone who ever did hurt the ones they loved always said?

“Anakin?”

Shaking the thought away, returned to her and their quiet night alone.

—-------

It was late morning when Anakin and Obi-Wan met with Qui-Gon at his quarters, after he had already met with the Jedi Council to discuss his place within the Jedi Order now that he was exonerated.

“I won’t be taking an active role in the war,” Qui-Gon announced to them from his seat. “The battlefield is not my place.”

“Then where is your place, Master?” an also seated Obi-Wan asked.

Eyeing Anakin, who remained standing, arms crossed, he explained, “One thing that we can be sure of, after all of this is, that the Sith never intended for me to remain alive after Cato Neimoidia.”

“The Sith meaning Dooku,” Anakin clarified.

His master nodded. “His Master Sidious knew I was getting close to him, so he instructed Dooku to lead me to a trap with Nute Gunray.”

“So what then?” Anakin tried, but failed, to hide his agitation. “You’re going to just stay locked up here in the Temple? Hide away? That isn’t you, Master.”

But Qui-Gon shook his head. “Of course not, Anakin. But I must be smart now. If I am to unmask the face of the Sith, I must meet him in the shadows.”

Now was when Anakin finally sat down to face Qui-Gon in the eye. “You barely escaped their trap this time. What if the Sith decide to just kill you, without any proxies.”

“I agree. Returning to their nest might not be the best course of action” Obi-Wan suggested.

But Qui-Gon insisted, “It is the only course of action.”

“Master, you’re needed-”

“-Look at what has happened. A galactic war has broken out. The Jedi have been forced into the role of soldiers. The dark side continues to diminish our connection to the Force.” He took a moment to let out a breath of frustration before adding, “All by the orchestration of Darth Sidious.”

It was true. Anakin and Obi-Wan had already spoken of this more than once since Geonosis. All was exactly as the Sith wanted; with the entire Jedi Order only being able to see a step ahead in their dark fog.

So what could be done that this elusive Darth Sidious couldn’t detect without absolute subterfuge?

“So I assume secrecy will be of the utmost importance, from this point on,” Obi-Wan deduced.

Qui-Gon nodded. “Apart from the Council, the two of you will be the only ones to know of what I’ll be doing.”

A curious Obi-Wan set a finger on his chin. “What does this mean for Anakin’s training?”

He was wondering about this too. Qui-Gon’s acquittal gave him the joyful assumption that he would be placed back under his tutelage. As good of a master as Obi-Wan was, Anakin’s palace was with Qui-Gon.

As if knowing what he was thinking, Qui-Gon looked at him with a somber expression that told Anakin he wouldn’t like what he was about to hear.

“You will remain as Obi-Wan’s apprentice.”

The shot of disapproval - as well as a bit of outrage -made it up to the top of his throat, but he swallowed it back down. After all the injustice that had separated them, Qui-Gon was choosing to keep away from him. Why?

Had training such a difficult apprentice as him finally left Qui-Gon withered?

“I need you to understand, Anakin, that as much as I want you back by my side, to do so would mean putting you right on the palm of the Sith.”

“Which is where I need to go.” What had Qui-Gon been saying ever since the day he found him in Watto’s junkyard? It was his destiny to end the Sith. To bring balance to the Force. “Hasn’t that been what training me is all about?”

“Training that isn’t complete. You are not ready to face the dark side, at its heart, young Skywalker.” He gestured a hand over to his first apprentice. “Your place is now with Obi-Wan. I need you both to trust me in what I believe to be the right thing.”

Standing up from his chair, Qui-Gon stepped over to him to set a hand on his shoulder. Anakin could feel the warmth of absolute care from his first master. “Will you trust my instincts?”

It wasn’t what Anakin wanted. Not by a long shot, but Qui-Gon’s beliefs had never been wrong. Not where Anakin was concerned. So he gave the Jedi Master a soft nod.

10. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    This was a fun story to read, makes me miss the old infinity comics. There is a lot more that could be done with such divergences.

FORCEBlLADE likes this.
  11. FORCEBlLADE

Mar 2, 2003
    Happy Life Day to all!

I know it's been months since I posted a new chapter. You know how it is, real life can be draining, but I still have everu intention of finishing this story. Thanks ot those who have stayed interested.

----------

Chapter 31

With only a few sporadic HoloNet transmissions through the war Anakin could not say how his mother was fairing back on Tatooine. Which made it all the more joyful for him when he was finally able to visit, after so long.

As far as Obi-Wan and the Council knew he was on a meditation retreat back on Dagobah.

“How long will we have before they get suspicious?” Padme asked from the pilot’s chair of her yacht.

“A few days, at best.”

“Well then that better be long enough to find a full-sized krayt dragon to show me.”

“Be careful what you wish for.”

Their blissful teasing was only interrupted by the sight of the homestead coming to view, where Shmi, Beru, and C-3PO were already waiting for them outside.

What struck him right away as rushed up to his mother for an embrace was how much she seemed to have aged in just these few short years. Her hair was completely gray now, and there were a noticeably additional amount of lines on her face.

Beru looked well enough - only there was now something in her spirit that Anakin sensed to be distorted, in a sense. How could anyone ever expect her to be the same after losing the love of her, of course?

“Miss Padme, you look lovely, as always,” C-3PO boasted. “Of course, any other climate from this one would be of much help in maintaining a pleasant feature. How Miss Beru and Miss Shmi have managed to keep the harsh suns from damaging their skin tones is a miracle.”

“We have lunch prepared, if you’re hungry?” Shmi offered.

“Starving,” Padme said.

As they went inside R2-D2 offered the protocol droid a brief summary of their latest mission in the war.

“Oh, R2 what makes you think that I would hear about these dreadful war stories?” c-3PO bellowed. “My circuits simply cannot handle such tales.”

R2 only added a quick beep.

“Whoever built you certainly gave little care as to program a healthy sense of caution in you.”

It was after their lunch that they went to the Lars family gravesite, where Cliegg was now laid to rest with his son. In the year that followed Owen’s death the senior Lars’ health suddenly started taking a poor turn, little by little. Until he was finally bedridden, barely able to sit up.

Those final days by his bedside had been some of the most difficult of times for Anakin’s mother, and it killed him that he couldn’t have been there to make things any bit more bearable.At least she had Beru and C-3PO, as well as a community of neighboring farmers for support.

“I’m sorry I couldn’t be here to say goodbye,” Anakin said, his real arm hooked in with his mother’s. “I’m sorry for so many things. It shouldn’t have ended like this for you, or Owen. You should’ve had so many more years here, with the women you loved.”

Behind him he could sense a pinch of pain from Beru, who had Padme by her side for comfort.

“I promise you I’ve done my best to not fail again.”

They remained at the grave site for another minute in silence, then Anakin volunteered to get to work on any work that needed to be done on the farm.

“Why don’t you relax for a minute,” his mother suggested.

“I won’t be here long, and something tells me you need some maintenance around here.”

“A few of the vaporators are acting up,” Beru admitted. “We’ve had to make repairs on almost a daily basis now.”

“Then I’ll get right on it.”

His defeated mother sighed. “I’ll take you to them.”

“Let me help here anywhere I can,” Padme offered, to which Beru nodded.

—-------

After cleaning the sensor valves and boxing up some discarded parts for selling at the junkyards later Padme and Beru used the rest of their one-on-one time to sit down and have a proper conversation with each other.

“Be honest, you and Anakin are more than just friends, aren’t you?” Beru asked this with a warm smile that said she didn’t really need an answer to this question.

“Anakin is . . . the most important person in my life.” She could feel the smile in her face widening as far as it could as she now got to say this openly. “I love him more than I can put into words.”

“That’s been obvious since I first met you.” She took a sip from her mug of caf before asking, “I thought Jedi weren’t allowed to have romantic attachments, though.”

“They’re not. If we were found out he would be expelled from the Order.”

“So how long do you two think the two of you can keep this a secret?”

That was a question she had been asking herself everyday for over two years.

More now than ever.

“Rules be damned, Padme. Love doesn’t always come around, so when it does, don’t throw it away.” As she spoke this a somber air fell around Beru.

So Padme took her hand in hers, offering a smile. “How are you, really?”

She took a long breath. “So many mornings where I still wake up, expecting him to be here. When I remember that he isn’t I have to take a minute to let the pinch of pain pass before I can really start the day.”

A period of silence followed when Padme had to contemplate Anakin not returning from a battle one day, leaving Padme to find the strength to live on without him. Padme also couldn’t help but wonder if there was any part of Beru that held them responsible for Owen’s death.

Maybe asking why they survived over him.

It was tempting to ask if this was so, but Padme refrained from doing so.

The twin suns were setting as Anakin and Shmi returned, and with the evening came long conversations, as well as a pleasant dinner. Life on Tatooine certainly forced one to embrace the simple pleasures in life.

She wasn’t sure what time it was when she awoke, but she knew she wouldn’t be able to go back to sleep until she settled her body back. Leaving a still sleeping Anakin in their guest room, she went to the kitchen and ate the first piece of food she could find.

“I used to need to eat in the middle of the night, too.”

Her frightful jump was embarrassing, to be sure. She could only imagine how it looked from where Shmi was standing.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to wake you.”

“You didn’t.”

This was the first time since arriving that the two women were alone together. Since their last goodbye, after Owen’s funeral, and when Shmi encouraged her to pursue her feelings for Anakin.

Now here they were, and Padme was at a loss for words.

“Has my boy made you happy?”

Those words were easy enough to find. “More than I’ve ever thought possible.”

The elder Skywalker walked over to give Padme a long hug. “I can’t imagine how hard it’s been to keep everything secret.”

Excruciatingly hard. Yet, she would do it all again.

“But I know it won’t be getting any easier because of . . .”

She pulled away and set a hand on Padme’s stomach, not holding back the widest of smiles a person could have.

“How-”

“Like I’ve told you before: I may not be a Jedi, but a mother will always know certain things.”

So now it was out there. It didn’t just exist in her mind. She, herself, had only just found out a few days before, and was still coming to terms with this new reality.

“I don’t know what we’re going to do.”

“You’re going to be happy, and not worry about anything, right now.”

Not the most practical of strategies, but the preferable one.

“Anakin doesn’t know.”

“When you’re ready then.”

She pulled Padme back into an embrace, and she just lost herself in it. Tomorrow, she could worry about being a Republic senator pregnant with a Jedi’s forbidden love child. Tonight she was only a mother-to-be, celebrating with a joyful grandmother.

12. FORCEBlLADE

Mar 2, 2003
    Chapter 32

Of all the territories in Coruscant the Works was one of the most secluded and scarcely visited by most people.

Which was what probably made it the perfect hideout for Darth Sidious.

Following numerous leads through a handful of senators Qui-Gon had finally picked up on the Sith Lord’s trail to this district. More specifically a seemingly empty tower.

With no entrance at the bottom level he had to scale the tower for a quarter of the way up, after which he telekinetically opened a vent to an unlit maintenance hallway. A few minutes inside led him to a service latter from where he levitated his hand-sized lamp far up the shaft, indicating that the ladder led all the way to the top.

It wasn’t until he made it to the top level that Qui-Gon gave himself permission to curse under his breath. “I’m getting too old for this.”

A few steps away he found a doorway that led him to a dimly lit hangar.

Despite being empty Qui-Gon got the sense that he was often occupied - and not jut by any random people. But by the Sith. Yes, this entire structure echoed of the dark side, as it was freely expressed here -

-and the entire Jedi Order being none-the-wiser.

His instincts led to a lift where he set himself to be taken all the way back down, passed even from where he started. The lift doors opened to a chamber that lit up in a bloody red as soon as he stepped into it. Connected to this chamber were several dark tunnels.

“Now where might you all lead to?”

Closing his eyes, Qui-Gon reached out, feeling for any constant trails left in any of these tunnels-

-only for his sense to divert away from this task, instead driving Qui-Gon to take a step back just before an electric staff would’ve pierced through his side Then he had to as a second staff made an attempt at his neck.

Their wielders were revealed to be very tall, very agile-looking droids. Dark silver and blue, with a pair of red receptors fixed on him.

A third droid dropped down in front of him, staff lit and immediately advancing.

Since he hadn’t rejoined the Order Qui-Gon had understandebly not been given the opportunity to build a new lightsaber, leaving him to feel a bit naked in certain situations, like this one.

But as soon as one of the battle droids struck at him again Qui-Gon stopped it with the Force, grabbed the staff, then managed to telekinetically force the droid to release its grip before he kicked it away, now weaponless.

The droid’s attack was parried, but the third tried to take advantage of the distraction by jabbing for his waist. Qui-Gon was able to drop to the floor and roll away, towards the droid from whom he had stolen his new weapon.

Yet, it still made an attempt on him with its bare fists. Batting its limbs away, Qui-Gon then stabbed at the neck, sending an electric shock into its systems that dropped it down to the floor

The other two made a unified attempt at his head, to which he jumped away from, so they tried separated to try and surround him.

Closing his eyes, Qui-Gon waited for the moment to make move, which came when they both struck for him at opposing sides. Dodging one staff, he grabbed a hold of the other, and using both his and the droids weapons struck at the droid missed, momentarily leaving its chest unguarded

The strike of both staffs punctured through to the other side. Then Qui-Gon put a tight Force grip on the remaining droid, lifting it up into the air then bringing it back down in a heavy crash. Still moving, he repeated the process twice more, leaving it disjointed in several areas.

One thing that could be determined about the presence of these battle droids was that Qui-Gon was on the right trail. So if this trail truly led him to Darth Sidious then he couldn’t face him alone

And if it led to who he suspected-

But he shook his head off that train of thought, for the moment.

Returning up to the tower’s hangar he commed the Jedi Council - making contact for the first time with them since his release from imprisonment.

“So sure, you are, of this finding, Master Qui-Gon,” Yoda expressed as less of a question, and more of an assurance.

“The dark side surrounds this place.”

“Then we will arrive with a search team within the hour,” Master Windu promised. “Wait for us there.”

“Don’t worry, I’m not-”

A sudden shift in the air took Qui-Gon’s attention. Something was happening, but not here, specifically. No, it was happening everywhere.

Everywhere around the planet.

From his comlink he could hear Temple alarms going off.

“Something is happening!” Master Windu bellowed.

Finding a control panel, Qui-Gon opened the hangar doors, from where he got a clear view of the skies thanks to the district’s lack of structures.

Although he couldn’t see it right away, nor clearly, he soon made out the faint frames of ships.

Large, capital ships.

Separatists ships.

Coruscant was being attacked.

—-------

“Please, Supreme Chancellor, we must follow safety protocol, and get you to-”

But the Chancellor objected, “I will not cower in the face of this treacherous attack.”

The apartment was littered with a squad of clone troopers, Royal Guards, and Jedi Masters Shaak Ti and Roron Corobb.

Since the Separatists fleet arrived over the capital the battle had made its way to the city surface, and though they had yet reached the streets surrounding the Chancellor Palpatine’s apartment building of 500 Republica it would only be mere minutes before that would no longer be the case.

Yet, the Chancellor was managing to maintain a calm and centered demeanor that could be admired, it almost felt to Shaak Ti like the elderly man wasn’t taking their situation serious to any degree.

“Master Ti,” her squad’s captain interceded. “Communications have been jammed. We’re being cut off from calling support.”

“All the more reason for us to leave for the bunker,” she insisted to the Chancellor. “Now!”

But he remained calm, refusing to move a step away from the windows of his sitting room, showcasing the aerial battle enveloping half the sky. “I refuse to run and hide. I will remain right here.”

Yet, in the very next moment, Shaak Ti swung her arm up to pull the stubborn man away from the window just before it shattered apart, and the figure General Grievous swung inside, his cape waving behind him as the exposed wind pulled on it.

“My apologies for not coming through the door, Chancellor,” the cybernetic Kaleesh said under his mask. “But it seemed like the opportune time to make a dramatic entrance.”

Without waiting for an order Master Corobb advanced towards the general, igniting his lightsaber, being met with not one, not two, but four blades.

Fighting off the instinct to rush to his side, Shaak Ti instead took Chancellor Palaptine by the shoulder and led him towards the corridor leading to the private elevator. A few troopers followed, while the majority, as well as the Royal Guards, remained behind to engage Grievous alongside Master Corobb.

The screams of lightsaber movement were only interrupted by heavy crashes against what could only be the walls and floors. She could only imagine the condition of the fight for a micro of a second before putting her focus back on getting Palpatine out of here, to safety.

A trooper reached the elevator first but before he even set a finger on the keypad the doors opened - revealing Qui-Gon Jinn inside, armed with a staff.

“Master Qui-Gon, how glad am I to see you,” Palaptine said in his formal tone.

“And I you, Chancellor - or would you prefer Darth Sidious.”