main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V Star Wars: Uprising project

Discussion in 'Literature' started by bsmith7174, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    Which path are you choosing?

2. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    Were there ever any more story missions past the initial launch ones? It went from story to multi-player only very quickly. Haven't picked it up in a good while, even with the TFA/RO content.

LelalMekha likes this.
  3. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Good question. I'm in the same situation as you there.

4. Grievousdude

Jan 27, 2013
    From what I can see on the mission select screen there is 10 Story Chapters. At least on Tatoooine there is anyway. There may be more on other planets when you finish them.

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    SW Games always have trouble with that. It always brought me out of the game when the briefing officer in TIE Fighter interrupts his in-universe briefing and says "hit the 'T' key."

Force Commander was really the only one to do this right, by making the game part of the game.

LelalMekha and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  6. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    There are no story missions on the other planets, no. The campaign consists of the 10 missions on Tatooine, the events of which comprise the game's story.

Source: I am a Rebel, I have been playing the game since launch.

I know that Commander is technically canon, but we don't have a lot of confirmation about how deep that canonicity goes as far as the story elements since you as the player have to pick a side--is the Rebel path canon or the Imperial? That sort of thing is holding this game back from more serious consideration.

I want to echo how interested I am in more discussion on Commander and its canon elements. Mayhaps we can offshoot this discussion into its own thread?

7. AV-6R7

AV-6R7 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 9, 2014
    According to the Databank on StarWars.com, it looks like siding with the Rebels is the canon path. I'd be interested in a Commander project.

8. TheAvengerButton

Aug 11, 2011
    You're right. It's there in the Kekit article for those others who are curious.

I think it is safe to assume a Rebel path as canon for now, though I wish the developers or the Story Group would actually talk about Commander's story and characters and go more in depth with it. Like, how important is this game and it's events in the grand scheme of things?

9. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Isn't there a mission with Luke on Er'kit and that undead invasion on Dandoran?

10. AV-6R7

Dec 9, 2014
    Several Commander characters have entries in Ultimate Star Wars as well.

11. AV-6R7

Dec 9, 2014
    A lot of those were time limited events, I believe. But, hey, that's what we have YouTube for.

TheAvengerButton likes this.
  12. TheAvengerButton

Aug 11, 2011
    Is there anything in Ultimate Star Wars or anything else on the Databank that may contradict the Kekit article? I haven't seen anything on the Databank and we should be extra careful to present a case about the canon elements of this game.

13. AV-6R7

Dec 9, 2014
    Kekit's entry is the only one that mentions any particular affiliation, and I'm pretty sure USW doesn't establish any affiliation.

14. AV-6R7

Dec 9, 2014
    Of course, both sides should still be recorded.

15. Padawan Kenobi

Padawan Kenobi Jedi Youngling

Aug 17, 2016
    I asked Leland at celebration London and he said that they are purposefully leaving Commander to be canonically vague to not make a "right" and "wrong" choice. He said that the example with the Jawas says only that that exact thing happened, but says nothing about which side was chosen canonically.

16. Grievousdude

Jan 27, 2013
    Well the Jawa example does make sense. The Rebels helping the Jawas is more plausible because they need resources from them but the Imperials have no reason to help them. They'd probably just shoot them and be done with it.

17. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    I really can't get behind that reasoning, because the most likely consequence is that the lore exclusive to the game will end up forgotten and unused elsewhere because of that. And although I believe you, Leland told ME no such thing, and there's no written proof anywhere, so I feel free to ignore his statement. :p

AV-6R7 likes this.
  18. AV-6R7

Dec 9, 2014
    I
    I've gone about screenshoting the Rebel unit, structure, and upgrade descriptions, as well as the relevant Database entries.

19. AV-6R7

Dec 9, 2014
    Here's what Ultimate Star Wars has to say on some of the central characters from Star Wars: Commander:

Commander Kosh
    Species: Human
    Homeworld: Tatooine
    Affiliation: Empire
    "Captain Kosh is the commander of an Imperial garrison on Tatooine. His forces are caught up in a conflict with the local rebellion led by Jennica Pierce. Kosh manipulates both allies and enemies as pawns to achieve the goals of the Empire. He also has an unusual interest in ancients artifacts."

Jennica Pierce
    Affiliation: Rebel Alliance
    "Jennica Pierce is a Rebel Alliance special forces agent serving on Tatooine. With the help of a Jawa associate named Kekit, she has knowledge of threats to the rebellion on Tatooine, including information on Jabba the Hutt's operations. As the Galactic Civil Wars broadens, she is pulled into the conflict."

Saponza
    Affiliation: Mercenary
    "After the Battle of Yavin, Saponza and his partner return to Tatooine to set up a business. Hoping to leave their lives as mercenaries behind, they nonetheless become involved in a conflict with Jabba the Hutt. Eventually, they are caught up in the Galactic Civil War and forced to choose a side."

Kosh's entry is identical to his one in the Databank, while those of Saponza and Jennica are slightly expanded on StarWars.com.

As you can see, Kekit's entry in the Databank is the only official clue as to what side the player canonically aligns with in Commander. It specifically says that "Jennica Pierce saw an opportunity to form a much needed alliance with the Jawas in order for Rebel forces to better navigate the sandy terrain of Tatooine, so she offered to help in their plight with the Tuskens. Saponza and his partner played an integral part in this campaign". Until we get information to the contrary, I think it is safe to go forward with the assumption that Saponza and his partner aligned with the Alliance to Restore the Republic. Of course, all content from both factions, including missions, should still be recorded.

LelalMekha likes this.
  20. makine

makine Jedi Youngling

May 14, 2017
    Uprising would make a great Star Wars audio drama. Granted, the script would need a few adjustments (like a canon name for Smuggler as well as a gender) plus choosing light side or dark side (though I think it would be more interesting to go grey and incorporate both sides), but it could work.

LelalMekha and Tzizvvt78 like this.
  21. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    I've been wondering why Star Wars radio dramas aren't a thing in the modern era. It's much less expensive to produce than a movie or a series, and can be very well done. Look at what Big Finish does with the Doctor Who franchise!

22. thedarkbeckons

thedarkbeckons Jedi Master star 1

Dec 2, 2013
    Only just now discovered this thread!! Really looking forward to reading through the material, I never had a chance to really get into the game beyond the first twentyish levels before the servers went off-line. Many thanks to everyone involved with recording all these juicy canon details!

23. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    Better late than never...

STAR WARS: UPRISING PROJECT COMPLETE
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7sQbvXiFAa8bWJrZXNMU3JJZWM

Well here it is...the end result. I hope everyone enjoys it. Sorry it took so much longer than I thought it would. Thank you for being patient.

I consider this to be v1 of the project. There are some things I would like to tweak/add for later versions, but this is good for now. Let me know what you think!

Thanks again :)

24. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Holy **** that's publish-worthy. Next time I write something I'm just gonna cite you for the hell of it. Doesn't matter the subject. This is quality archiving.

The Positive Fan and bsmith7174 like this.
  25. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    Wow, that's very kind of you to say :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk