main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars vs. Star Trek

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by darthnave, Feb 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darthnave

darthnave Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 5, 2005
    I want people to post on which franchise they find more enjoyable. I am on Star Wars's side.

1. Star Wars ships have quick and powerful shots. Star Trek has slow one-shot-every-60 seconds.
    2. Star Wars guns have unique designs. Star Trek has remote controls for guns.
    3. 1 word: LIGHTSABERS!
    4. Star Wars ships are unique. Star Trek ships look practically the same.
    5. Star Wars have fighters. Star Trek doesn't even have so much as 1 fighter!
    Any others want to contribute?

Edited post to make it a little more neutral.

2. ROTS_Obi1

ROTS_Obi1 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 16, 2005
    Not that I liked Star Trek but it will be a bit one sided about the fact this is on a Star Wars board. Also, who really cares about this kind've thing?

3. Funk-E

Funk-E Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 11, 2003
    Khan > Vader.

At least in ANH.

Sorry folks, but it's true.

4. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    I've seen entire message boards devolve into massive flame wars over this topic...

*Puts on heat shield and hunkers down*

5. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    *crawls in to bomb shelter*

6. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    *joins guys*

7. Quiet_Mandalorian

Quiet_Mandalorian Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2005
    All the answers you'll ever need are right here:

Star Wars vs Star Trek in Five Minutes

8. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    And I have the rebuttal here.

Now, we can either agree that this is a topic that will never be resolved and think about Luke and Spock mind-melding or we can simply drop it before feelings get really hurt.

And they will get hurt.

And Q_M, this post is not a slam against you in any way, shape or form. It's simply to illustrate how utterl;y ridiculous a ST vs. SW debate is. imho.

9. JediPriestess

JediPriestess Jedi Master star 4

Jul 28, 2004
    Indeed, no good ever comes from this topic.

10. Rouge Null

Rouge Null Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    Personally I'd like to see this battle play out over TF.N. But I'm bloodthirsty, so I might be alone in that desire.

11. Jedi_Reject_Jesse

Jedi_Reject_Jesse Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 26, 2004
    My thoughts: Star Wars is a reflection of the world as it is today (evil empires, corrupt leaders, those who fight back, etc), Star Trek is how we want the world to be (peaceful, no famine or poverty, etc). There's no reason why one can't enjoy both the same.

12. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Exactly. I'm a Trekkie and a Warsie. Wrote a crossover between the two on the beyond the saga boards.

vs. with the two's been going on... IIRC, the earliest reference was in 1985. It's so played out now it's ridiculous. And it devolves into arguements over frame rate speed of film vs. television.

I kid you not, either. I saw that three times on the gamefaqs.com message boards alone.

13. Funk-E

Funk-E Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 11, 2003
    ...buried alive...buried alive...

14. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I'm going to allow this for now, as long as it stays civil and reasonable. If it starts going in a direction I don't like, it's over.

15. Grillbu_Fett

Grillbu_Fett Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 6, 2005
    Well, in order to start a discussion: I think it's okay to like both franchises, because both of them have aspects that the other doesn't have.:) But both seem to have lost in, erm, identity recently, I think.

Now I put on some silk handgloves, because this topic seems to be a very sensitive one, similar to nitroglycerine...
    I believe to have observed some tendencies to mix those things up, namely Midichlorians, which introduced StarTrek-like science into StarWars, and Enterprise, having a look quite similar to Star Wars... Thoughts?o_O

*turns on his cloaking device*

16. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    As much as I love Star Wars, it has to be Trek for me. For as long as I can remember there's always been Trek to watch. Yes, there's an awful lot of it, and sometimes the quality drops, but often it can be awesome television, and I feel like it's been a constant companion over the years.

So I love both, but forced to choose I'd go for Trek every time.

17. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Bad Star Trek is still better than a lot of TV that's been on the air. And the first episode I saw was Balance of Terror. Until a certain book series that shall not be named came out, ST and SW were tied.

18. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Not a fan of the NJO then ;)

For me they are two entirely different entities which have limited basis for comparrison excluding the fact that they are both Sci Fi

Star Wars is a series of movies which give you quick glipses into peoples lives and struggles and a brief snap shot of the world as a whole

Star Trek covers everything in greater detail from family issues upto the formation of govenment and the reasoning behind wars and the issues and complications that go with it.

For me Star Trek is more in depth and involving and Star Wars is more about excitement and thrill.

19. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    You have no idea, Master-FatBurt, how much I utterly loathe that series...

Star Trek's got its bad moments, too, but nothing that even comes within a light year of being that bad. Not even Enterpise Season two.

And I liked ST: ENT for the most part, too. Felt it fit continuity a lot better than people gave it credit for and wasn't that awful.

20. George_Roper

George_Roper Jedi Knight star 7

May 1, 2005
  21. Warrior_of_Mandalore

Warrior_of_Mandalore Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2003
    For me it's Star Wars. I prefer character driven stories to plot driven ones.

Warrior_of_Mandalore Strikes Again!

22. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Heh, that's cool.

I wrote a SW/ST crossover on the Beyond boards where I kept the vs. down to an absolute minimum and had the two sides talking to each other. Han sat in at Riker's poker game and Picard, Ackbar and Pellaeon sat down for some tea and sushi.

For me it's Star Wars. I prefer character driven stories to plot driven ones.
    aAh... TNG and DS9 had a lot of character driven stuff. Picard, Data and Sisko in particular evolved [i[]tremendously[/i] over the course of the series they were in.

At least to me they did.

23. Quiet_Mandalorian

Quiet_Mandalorian Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2005
    I'm afraid that I'm in no way convinced (for one thing, they completely ignore the EU, and their pictorially-supported arguments against Stormtrooper armour seem to rely greatly on cut scenes that were never actually seen in the films).

Perish the thought.

I understand, and I also think that debating which is better in terms of tech is a mute point, as the GFFA clearly wins in virtually all categories.:p

24. darthnave

Sep 5, 2005
    Well I got this idea from Star Wars.com. Which I am not a member of.

25. darthnave

Sep 5, 2005
    I like that. I should go check it out. There is a few impossibilities but it still sounds cool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.