main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:VIC "Star Wars: Where Science Meets Imagination" is coming to Melbourne!

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Ree, May 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ree

Ree Jedi Master star 5

Jan 25, 2005
    http://museumvictoria.com.au/Scienceworks/WhatsOn/Upcoming-Exhbitions/Star-Wars-Where-Science-Meets-Imagination/

Yay It's coming in June! I'm so going.

2. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    I'm hoping to make it across the border too!!!

3. oldbenk31

oldbenk31 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 27, 2003
    Im definately going to see this-its just a few miles from the house.

4. lordvaderFF

lordvaderFF Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    Looks like I'll be working there as a volunteer.....woohooo.

I'll post info as I get it...should be good fun.

5. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    Argh, I'll still be in Beijing on preview night. :( But the exhibition's up until November so I'll be able to see it for sure sometime. :D

6. Ree

Ree Jedi Master star 5

Jan 25, 2005
    Wow Vader you're volunteering! HOw exciting. I was looking at the volunteer program for Melbourne Museums it looks pretty good.

What are you doing in Beijing Xan? I've been there it's pretty cool. Tho I like SHanghai better.

7. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    I'm in Beijing studying Chinese. Two months down, one to go, and it's been an awesome experience, I can tell ya... I'd do it again in a heartbeat. :D I'd love to stay longer, actually, but I think RL isn't going to cooperate. :_|

I do like Shanghai better, though. :p I was down there last weekend and it's an amazing city - modern, clean (in comparison, anyway), international, and very pretty - although I think the locals could stand to be a bit nicer. I look Chinese and speak (some) Mandarin now, but there you get the cold shoulder unless you speak the local Shanghainese dialect.

8. Ree

Ree Jedi Master star 5

Jan 25, 2005
    Wow sounds amazing. I went to SHanghai for 3 months in 07-08. Are you doing it as an exchange? You at uni or high school?

9. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    Nah, I graduated from uni in December, so this is purely out of interest. Well: I didn't want to start working yet :p and learning Mandarin is something I've always wanted to do but lacked proper motivation, and I figured dumping myself in a situation where I had to learn it would do the trick. It's turned out to be a great decision - I love Beijing, and I've made some really good friends too. :D

10. Ree

Ree Jedi Master star 5

Jan 25, 2005
    Wow you're so brave to do that. "Ni xihuan Beijing wei shenme?"

11. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    *grin* Well... for one thing, I'm a city-loving urban kid, which helps - if you hate rampant urbanisation, you'll hate Beijing.

There's just so much to see and do. On the culture-y side you have Tianamen Square, the Forbidden City, Temple of Heaven, the Great Wall ... on the modern-y side you have the Bird's Nest, Wangfujing and the entire Chaoyang district ... on the shopping side you have about half a dozen major indoor markets where you can buy anything from t-shirts to "Louis Vuitton" bags, which is especially fantastic if you enjoy bargaining. :p And while the architectural style here is basically, well, functional and nothing else, there are little pockets of beauty here and there. Parks, avenues, streets randomly lined with flowers ...

I guess it's also eye-opening, because I didn't expect to like Beijing. But while there are things I don't like about it (like the spitting thing, or the public toilets) it's just an awesome city. I wouldn't live here permanently, but for a few months ... sure.

12. Ree

Ree Jedi Master star 5

Jan 25, 2005
    Aha! Yes the spitting and the public toilets. Even in a department store you can't guarantee something clean and not gross [face_sick]
    Have you been to any Hutongs? They are really cool I think :D

So I went to the exhibit on Saturday! OMG :eek: SO freaking awesome!! You know what was even MORE awesome? The souvenir shop! AH! *dies and goes to heaven*

13. lordvaderFF

Nov 29, 2000
    Did my first shift on Saturday...great fun.

So cool pointing out all the "quirky" things to the regular peoples.

I started chatting to a guy about the Vader costume, telling him the origins of some of the parts they used and the weight of the costumes etc, the sort of trivia onlt fans know....when I turned around I had an audience of about 15 people listening to me. :)

14. Ree

Ree Jedi Master star 5

Jan 25, 2005
    You weren't the one driving around the R2-D2 were you? I didn't see many staff around at the exhibit. Only that guy and the woman walking around with Obi-Wan (who by the way is the guy that was at Fanboys premier. That must be HIS JOB. What a cool, but probably low-paying job!)

15. lordvaderFF

Nov 29, 2000
    Nobody gets paid to do that sort of stuff anymore, he's what they call a volunteer. :)

I was standing by the Landspeeder most of the afternoon, keeping all the younglings from climbing under the railing.

16. Ree

Ree Jedi Master star 5

Jan 25, 2005
    Ah it mustn't have been while I was there as there was nobody at the landspeeder.

Wow he volunteers?! I thought it was his job because I saw him somewhere else too :p

17. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Are there any photos of this event? Doesnt look like I'm going to get across the border to see it sadly enough...... :(

18. Jaden1138

Jaden1138 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2009
    Hello from the US...I know Ree had fun at this event. And I still hope I am an adopted Aussie :) LOL! It has been a while! I still hope to talk my husband into moving!

Cheers!

19. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    I haven't gotten to see it yet - I haven't been in Melbourne all year. :p

But I'll be back there this August/September, and then I'll go and take some pics ... :D

20. lordvaderFF

Nov 29, 2000
    Keep an eye on Channel 10 this month.

They shot a "Community Service Announcement" at the exhibit last month and it's due to screen during August.

21. milney

milney Jedi Master star 5

Aug 21, 2003
    This is only a couple of hours away from me and I haven't gone?

I'm getting to be a slacker.

So, was/will there a meet for this?

22. lordvaderFF

Nov 29, 2000
    Not sure...haven't heard from our CR since February.

I'll be back there Saturday week.....(August 15th)....so if anyone wants to meet up then...I'm free.

23. lordvaderFF

Nov 29, 2000
    Hey peoples,

I'll be down at Scienceworks this Saturday from 10am till around 1pm....come down and say hello.

Why not make a Star Wars day of it....go to Scienceworks in the morning, then head over to Skyforce in the afternoon.

TOTALLY NERD YOURSELF OUT. :)
    (please not that to me the term "NERD" is a good thing)

Don't forget to say "Hi" if you come down to Spotswood......I'm the tall dude in black leather. :)

[image=http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2684/181/46/657038319/n657038319_1470164_615151.jpg]

LVFF

24. lordvaderFF

Nov 29, 2000
    WOW....such a response. (response...response...response....)

Is there an Echo in here???

ANYWAY...last weekend for the Exhibit is coming up, so if you haven't seen it yet......get your Butt down there.

I'll be there on Tuesday along with HEAPS of other fans, so come on down and say hello.

Any forum members that are coming down, PM me and we'll arrange a location to meet.
    (it can get pretty crazy down there during the day, so best if we make plans on the day that I can SMS to people....depending on the crowds)

SEE YOU THERE!

25. lordvaderFF

Nov 29, 2000

NEWS FLASH

NEWS FLASH

Scienceworks exhibit extended to November 8th.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.