main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

Animated Shorts *Official* Young Jedi Adventures Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by DLCV, May 27, 2022.

1. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    I think it makes little sense to drop either completely and this discussion about live action versus animation can heat up quite badly here. Let's not get into a war over it. Honestly I would prefer live action too, but animation has actually made better Star Wars lately IMO. There are certain strengths and challenges in both so it's nice to see both being done now.

Besides Star Wars live-action does have a need for CGI anyways so animation is still integral part of it. I prefer both.

This show may very well be unbearable to watch for adults if it's some SW-version of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse.

2. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    Wow. I wasn’t aware there was much heat in that topic. Animation can be great - and I loved most of TCW, Rebels and Visions (and even enjoyed Resistance more than most) - but I think that with a growing slate of shows, it’s much more important to invest as much resources as possible into making live action look great. So I’m just saying that I would drop animation, in that context, and shift any interesting animation projects into live action. And obviously, animators would continue to be involved in design and CGI…

Last edited: Jul 12, 2022
    The Chalk Jedi likes this.
  3. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I think animation should just be as important as live action in moving Star Wars forward. Dave Filoni is in the camp of animation and live action as both being as important. If you cant telll this story in live action do it in animation. Like story about clones or Count Dooku stories before and after TPM.

4. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    I'm not that big fan of recasting major characters so I'm happy we can see young Qui-Gon and Dooku in animated form instead. But I do agree that Disney should take quality over quantity approach to television. Now it seems they are pumping out shows that are mostly poorly written to be honest. Book of Boba Fett was example of bad approach to tv-series. It had no clear focus most of the time, time-jumping didn't bring any benefit and show was frustrating to watch due to these issues. It's nice we have so much stuff coming, but if most of it is poorly written rehash of classical Star Wars scenes and they only rely on cameos to have any emotional effect, it is going to get very boring very soon.

5. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I hope this is big success and we see more of the child friendly animated shows. This Will be like loin king cartoon, witch is more child friendly with some dark momments. I wonder if this would be 16-22 episode tv show.

6. Cos Palpatine

Cos Palpatine Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2022
    See I think they can have both quantity and quality if they take the right approach. It's not just George Lucas and his team working on every SW project anymore, it's many different teams of creatives working on many different projects. But thus far we've had a lot of mediocrity. Why? Now I certainly don't know the inner workings of LFL and Disney but there's definitely a problem somewhere. If I had to guess it would be because the writers and creators of these shows (and movies) aren't being given free reign.

Let's consider some examples, starting with the ST. Lucas gave Disney story treatments for the ST which Disney then discarded in favor of a nice and safe rehash of ANH for Episode VII. They axed Michael Arndt as screenwriter because he was taking too long to write the script. They also axed Colin Trevorrow from TROS for reasons I'm not clear on. Obi-Wan Kenobi was supposed to be a movie, then a limited series which was then rewritten because the powers that be deemed it too bleak. RO was good because it gave us new characters with a (somewhat) new story in a familiar setting; as opposed to Solo which gave us a Legacy character in a story we didn't really need. As for The Book of Bob...I think it's main problem was that it took an inherently bad(ass) character and tried to make him a good guy. Now I know SW is all about redemption but it just didn't work in that case and left the series confused and directionless. Someone made that wrong decision to try and make Boba a good guy. As for Mando, so far so good, but they are moving into cameo territory and they don't seem to want to let Grogu go and that could potentially effect the story in a negative way but I'll reserve judgement for when Season 3 is done.

That's why I'm really looking forward to Andor and The Acolyte...new(ish) characters with new stories in a familiar setting. Disney just needs to hire talented writers and let them do their thing, and those two shows seem to be the most promising in that respect.

7. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Are you sure about that?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2022
  8. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Lion, damn phone auto correct, lol.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2022
    Bor Mullet and TCF-1138 like this.
  9. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    You are certainly partially right here. Rewriting a lot in a short time is usually a bad hing for end product. I think that sequels were a failure partially because writers and directors were given too much freedom. The Last Jedi especially was obviously products of free reign given to Rian Johnson.

They didn't give such freedom to original writers of Solo or TROS or Kenobi.

As much as I respect Dave Filoni, he may be the one to blame for Boba Fett being turned to good guy though. Or I suspect it was his idea. He started this rehabilitation of Boba Fett in TCW to be honest. Boba Fett and all clones also were made to be tragic victims of circumstances more than real bad guys. Sure it may be that he was not so much involved in the end product though. Boba Fett being good guy just didn't work, especially when he was also trying to be crime lord. Crime lords are bad guys by definition, it was just such a bad idea in the first place to try to do both.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2022
  10. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Another reason to be thankful you’re not in charge of Lucasfilm. :)

11. Konrad Pietrzak

Konrad Pietrzak Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 6, 2020
    I wonder if this Young Jedi Adventures series will be placed in the 2nd phase just or immediately after, it only has 2 waves, and it will end somewhere more or less during the premiere of the series, in addition, the phase should be about exploration, which would be perfect for the series for younger ones, discovering new planets.

I also wonder what mean by aiming for younger audience. Does this mean we have something similiar to MLP(and Equestia Girls) and Elena of Avalor(which YJA is made by this same animation studio), which I would prefer, or we gain something similiar to Peppa Pig and Dora, which I would propably watch but without great enthusiams.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2022
  12. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I know Master Yoda will be in this and teaching youngling, but do you think we could see other familiar jedi from clone wars era. Like Yarael Poof, Oppo Rancisis, Sinube,Yaddle. Some of them will be appearing in another show.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2022
  13. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    You have no idea of the heights Lucasfilm would achieve under my leadership. The entire slate of films and TV shows would all be connected to Rogue One, and Ryan Church would be perma-banned from the studio. A golden age.

Darth__Lobot and TCF-1138 like this.
  14. AvarandElzarsittininatree

AvarandElzarsittininatree Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2021
    They really could place it anywhere within about a 300/400 year period. Phase I took place two hundred years before the prequels and Phase II takes place almost 400 years before the prequels. If I had to guess they will place it somewhere inbetween Phase II and Phase I just so they can mainly use their own characters without any questions being asked about where so and so is.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2022
  15. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    But weirdly enough, everything would be directed by Joss Whedon.

16. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Honestly, I think animation just gives better bang for your buck when dealing with fantasy or sci-fi shows. I mean, just look at all the cool, alien worlds we get to see in Bad Batch, Rebels,Resistance, and TCW verses the live action shows parade of dry, brown worlds with the occasional forest - and honestly the star wars live action shows have, if anything, been better on that front than most live action sci-fi.

And you just know the cartoons are working with a smaller budget than the live action shows since that is how it always is - and considering how many more live action shows are coming out compared to animation one, it is hard to imagine that making any noticeable difference in how the live action shows look, whereas I could see moving the live action budget to animation making a bigger difference there, with more new shows for the same price, or having more models and environments for the shows.

Plus it has the nice side benefit of side stepping the whole "recasting vs deepfaked" debate and just less worrying about the actor's age relative to the character in general.

That would make a lot of sense.

Though if Phase 3 does pick up again shortly after Phase 1 as many suspect, I could easily see that general time period as being the more iconic High Republic era and thus the default for high republic stories going forward.

17. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I’m not really thrilled about this series per say. But, I will say that you cannot bet against animation. They have been very good for Star Wars in this century. The shows have won Emmy, Annie, and Saturn awards. This also includes the non canon clone wars series. The Lego Star Wars animation and stories were great. I want to see more live action of course but I wouldn’t bet against Star Wars animations

18. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Doesn't look brown to me. ;)

[​IMG]
    I never cared for those concerns anyway, so that's not an issue. I say recast away, and don't worry about perceived age discrepancies.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2022
  19. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    The planets in star wars live action dont look alien like those in the PT trilogy or clone wars tv show. All we see are desserts, forest, snow or water planets. With some city ones.

20. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Wherever the lightsaber duel in OWK6 took place was alien and also one of the more visually interesting environments they've shown us in quite awhile.

21. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Yes we have few, but most are places that look like could be here on planet earth.

22. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    My favorite of the dessert planets so far has to be Chi’iz Ka’ik.

23. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    This is coming out, I just hope that it adds depth to the high republic which I really like a lot. I would like to see an animated movie and a second live action series in the era

24. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Funny that, it's almost as though creatures that evolved in a certain environment would seek out similar environments to colonise, etc.

25. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018

New Details.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2022
    Darth Baga likes this.