main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Starfest '08 April 18th-20th

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by BFett88, Jan 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SITH__CHICK

SITH__CHICK Former RMFF CR star 7

Mar 25, 2002
    I had a great time.

The only thing I heard positive (if you can call it that) about not having a table was that people didn't have a 'meeting' place. But we have each others phone #'s and I thought it was easy to hunt people down when needed.

2. ZOOfo-Dyas

ZOOfo-Dyas Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I don't know... All I ever had to do was look over the balcony into the bar and there were enough RMFFer's to get the communication chain moving ;)

3. Jedi_Knight_Birr

Jedi_Knight_Birr Retired RSA star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2002

GET THERE NOW!!!!

that got ppl moving pretty quickly!! ;)

4. SITH__CHICK

Mar 25, 2002
    I know! I would be planning on leaving to meet people & they would be at my door :D

5. nnaydolem

nnaydolem Jedi Master star 6

Nov 8, 2002
    i think the best time was chilling out yesterday afternoon in the bar....just being with friends and enjoying the calmness...and some yummy food. ;)

6. Reya

Reya Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 28, 2007
    We had a great time! I'm glad I finally met most of you! Keith said he enjoyed the weekend so thank you all for being so receptive, I really appreciate it! (The ring is still firmly on my finger) :D

RDT- Thanks for help with the craft!

I'm excited to see pics of us Redshirts...I somehow didn't get any.

7. Jedi_Knight_Birr

Jun 27, 2002
    i have a few up on myspace right now. im looking for a good photo hosting site for all my pics though.

8. Obi_Wannabe

Obi_Wannabe Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 17, 2002
    Hello! See the photo upload thread.

9. Jedi_Knight_Birr

Jun 27, 2002
    i can load some of my pics to the site. which i will do. but i have a lot of pics that are not RMFF, and thats why im looking for a different place.

10. ZOOfo-Dyas

Oct 3, 2004
    Photobucket FTW!!!

11. Obi_Wannabe

Obi_Wannabe Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 17, 2002
    Ah, for that I use Picasa.

12. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    Picasa rocks!!!

13. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    Another article on Starfest --this time the Boulder Daily Camera

You won't have any trouble finding your way to today's closing ceremonies of Starfest, a three-day convention celebrating science fiction, horror, video games and general fandom.

Just find a parking spot, then follow the trail of Stormtroopers, wizards and the occasional Indiana Jones inside the Denver Marriott Tech Center, where Starfest has taken over for the weekend.

Starfest features celebrity autograph signings, costume competitions, panel discussions, film screenings, live music and three wings of merriment.

Gore junkies can enjoy five rooms of terror at Horrorfest, with rooms focusing on local authors and independent horror films, where on opening night Jason Stephenson, director, writer and producer with the Twin Cities-based Not for the Squeamish Productions, promotes the company's most recent release "You're Next 3: Pajama Party Massacre."

"It's a throwback to the '80s," he says of the new film. "It's got blood, boobs, cheesy dialogue."

This is his first appearance at Starfest, and Stephenson is having such a good time he promises to be back.

"It's a good mix of sci-fi and horror fans," he says. "I saw somebody walking around with a Boba Fett gun. That was so cool."

Down another hallway, Denver author Mario Acevedo, who has penned a series of novels featuring vampire detective Felix Gomez, including the recently released "The Undead Kama Sutra," is making his way toward the festivities. We meet up and head to the bar instead.

"Is this seat taken?" I ask a woman at the bar.

She makes a joke about it being empty and therefore not taken, so I sit down and quip that at a festival with so many horror aficionados it could very well be occupied by a spiritual presence.

"If so, you just sat on them," she says.

Her name is Kimberly Hartman, 42, and she's come down from Boulder to attend the three-day festival.

"I've been coming here since 1991," she says.

A close friend of hers, who had been coming since the inaugural Starfest in 1977, introduced her to the convention. He passed away in 2003, but Hartman is keeping their tradition alive.

"He got one started that I will probably carry on until I check out," she says. "It's a good time. You meet people and check out all the crazy costumes."

Acevedo, who is appearing at his second Starfest, agrees.

"It's always a lot of fun," he says. "These people really get into all this, the costuming and all that. It's a chance to meet new fans."

If you go:
    What: Starfest finale

When: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. today

Where: Denver Marriott Tech Center, 4900 S. Syracuse St.

Tickets: $29 advance, $34 door ($15/$19 ages 6-10)

Info: 303-777-6800 or www.starland.com
    The bar is located inside the Marriott's atrium, which is ground zero for Starfest activity. Across the room Jonathan Tiersten, who starred in the cult horror classic "Sleepaway Camp," is performing with his Front Range-based band Ten Tiers. Fans gather beneath interior balconies adorned with science fiction and horror themes.

Beneath the balconies, a white Subaru Outback has been converted into the Ecto-1 wagon from "Ghostbusters." Nearby, various costumed ghostbusters pose for photos.

"I was born about a year after (the movie) came out," says Richie Gristak, 22, of Denver. "I don't know how I got hooked on it, but I've loved it all my life."

He's hanging out with Alexander Fisk, 19, of Denver, who is also donning a Ghostbusters outfit. One would think they had coordinated in advance, but they've just met. For many fans, that's the greatest appeal of Starfest: meeting like-minded individuals you might never cross paths with outside of the convention.

"You can assimilate with everybody because you have shared interests," Fisk says.

Of course, the most commonly shared interest is "Star Wars." While attendees dress in a variety of costumes, the most impressive outfits are Darth Vader

14. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    that is cool bill!!!

15. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    zoom...i took this for you
    [image=http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y11/nnaydolem/?action=view&current=0420080010.jpg]

chu chu chu chathula

16. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Looks like you guys all had a great time! Kudos, and keep up the good work :)

//raises a glass

17. SITH__CHICK

Mar 25, 2002
    What's in it? :p

18. ZOOfo-Dyas

Oct 3, 2004
    Whatever it is, I bet it's not as good as what we had. :D

19. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    So what's the name of that stuff that kept finding its way into my cup anyway?

20. ZOOfo-Dyas

Oct 3, 2004
    Depends on which juice you were drinking... If it was Grapefruit Juice, then it was a Bare Midrift. And if it was Pineapple Juice, then it was a Hula Hoop. :D

21. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    I really like the hula hoops!

BTW, did anyone get the contact info or name of the guy who was Shaun of the Dead?

22. SITH__CHICK

Mar 25, 2002
    Yes, I'm pretty sure I said something about that somewhere, maybe the 'new group costume' thread.

He doesn't know if he will ever do it again, it was a joke in the first place. But I think he was somewhat interested when we said we could get him many, many zombies :D

23. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    I was looking for a name or a quote from him... hence asking for contact info. Sorry if I missed it amongst the flurry of posts in the group costume thread.

ED: I saw this:

Zombies would be good, we gave that guys our # & told him if he was going to do it again we could get him zombies. MHC, we are thinking.

Did you by chance get his number?

24. Sarnia

Sarnia WOTR Liaison star 5

Jun 1, 2004

He is actually a good friend of mine=)

and I am gonna kick his butt for repeatedly smacking me with that cricket bat!!!!

25. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.