main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Stargate and Stargate SG-1 Discussion- "Children of the Gods: Final Cut" out now on DVD!

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by JediTrilobite, Apr 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Not seeing anything on this, which is a bit of a surprise.

In the 1990s, a film was made by the same director as that of ID4, called Stargate. In it, the US finds a way to travel to other planets, through the means of a machine called the Stargate. On the other side, they are confronted with an Enemy posing as the gods of Egypt. A team goes through, has some adventures and gets away.

SG-1 Picks up several years afterwards, when the stargate, inactive until now, reactivates and enemy soldiers comes through, kidnapping a soldier and launching the US government into a new series of adventures. The Stargate Command was a program designed to send out explorers to other planets, where they would find new technologies and medicines, as well as making contact with other races and learning about history. Along the way, they start a small war with another dominant race, the G'ould, who wish to control the galaxy.

The SG-1 series is probably one of the more interesting science fiction series that I've seen so far, for they cover many things, from physics to ethics, with an interesting storyline to boot. So, discuss this series as it comes to a close this next year.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >> In the 1990s, a film was made by the same director as that of ID4, called Stargate.<<

Well, technically, it's a film that was made by the same director as the evntual ID4... [face_batting]

Great series...but am I the only one who finds it's kinda annoying that they just don;t seem to know how to end an episode properly? It seems like every episode ends abruptly or 15 seconds sooner than it should...I mean, you get the bottom-line story closure, but not for the entire expierience.

Anyways, looking forward to Atlantis and Season 8.

3. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    I think that the episodes have been handled pretty well. They're generally optimistic, but there are those where people die and you have an uncertain ending.

4. 7-7-7

7-7-7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 15, 2002
    I found the film pretty good, and the series to be fantastic. I enjoy it, and am eagerly awaiting season 8 (sadly, the last season of SG-1) I like how the show doesn't try to be overly serious, and is quite humerous. It's also refreshing to see a sci-fi series which will make fun of the sci-fi geeks who perpetuate it. I can't say that I'm looking foreward to Atlantis too much, considering that it sounds like a pretty, well, corny storyline and is trying to cash in on the success of SG-1 way too much. At least SG-1 won't drag out for four more seasons, going nowhere and burying a deep grave for itself and the characters. I hope that the series has a firm resolution, and that they don't leave everyone hanging with a weak cliffhanger or an ultimately unresolves story (like they were planning on doing at the end of season 6)

I don't think that the episodes end too soon. Once the plot is concluded and the characters have each had their reflections, then I think that it is time to move on. The only instance where I can think of an episode definately ending too soon would be one where it ends in the middle of a climactic battle, and is unresolved, yet in the next episode everything is back to normal.

5. DarthArsenal6

DarthArsenal6 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 16, 2001
    i'd rate the film more

there are rumours to have another Sg film

I would n't know if the people from the series will be in it or the orginal people from the movie.

6. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Yes, there will be another film, or a much longer episode. This will be bridging the gap between SG-1 and the upcoming Stargate Atlantis series.

7. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    Well, it's the only thing that keeps me up on tuesday nights all night as C4 only play a double bill a week at 3.00am and 3.50pm, then we get Andromeda until 5.30am.

8. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    It's a bit later where I live. Unfortunently, I don't get Sci-Fi, so I usually have to get something taped. Thank the force for DVD boxed sets.

The only thing that really irks me about this show is the lack of military tactics in the earlier seasons, although it's improving. I would have thought that for the first couple shows, they wouldn't just walk out and say hi to a newly encountered race of people.

9. DarthArsenal6

Oct 16, 2001
    i would love to see james spader and kirk russel back

10. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Did they ever make a cameo or anything?

11. Syntax

Syntax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 1, 2001
    Not to my knowledge. In fact, to my recollection, the "movie" 'Stargate' literally *IS* a movie in the Stargate SG-1 universe. It's a "documentary" of the initial mission to the desert planet, and the "actors" in the documentary were literally Kurt Russell and James Spader, but the events in the "movie" aren't entirely accurate. That's the SG-1 method of overriding "contradictions" between the movie and the TV series. ;) A bit of a cop-out, if you ask me.

12. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Hm... I'm not sure that I like that very much, but it would explain the lack of a DHD on Abedose.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Abydos is the spelling, IIRC.

They also have a running joke of Kurt's Jack being O'Neil with one L, while Anderson's is O'Neill with two L's.

14. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Ah, thanks for the correction. Close enough I say. Heh, O'neill makes a point about the two ls to someone in season 2.

15. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    How was it spelled in the MOVIE? And has it *always* been spelled with 2 "l"s on SG-1?

I mean, you'd think they'd go for as much continuity between the movie and show as possible, instead of tossing caution to the wind and poking fun at stuff and widening gaps in continuity. ?[face_plain]

16. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    The one in the movie is spelled with 1 L. The one in the series is spelled with 2 Ls, according to IMDB.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    There other oversights- like the name of Jack's son, the location of the SGC, etc.

18. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    How did the sites differ? I always thought that they were in the mountain.

19. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    Well, I said it once, and I'll say it again: I'm a big fan of continuity, and I tend to lose respect for a franchise when it lacks it. StarGate is losing respect by the minute. [face_plain]

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    JT- different mountains.

SG-1 usually has pretty good continuity within the series- you just gotta fudge the original film, is all.

In a way, the original film is an alternate universe in regards to SG-1. The film and the (7?) original novels were one continuity, based upon the original ideas for the franchise by Devlin and Emmerich; while SG-1/Atlantis is another continuity loosely associated with the film, based upon the ideas of the current producers.

And, since Dean and Roland handed over their rights to the new guys, the SG-1/Atlantis continuity is now the official one.

21. DarthArsenal6

Oct 16, 2001

I would love to see a cross Univers with the Mummy and SG.

22. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Hm... I'm not liking the Alternate Universe thingy, because that wouldn't explain Daniel's arrival on the first planet.

23. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    I think it'd have been smarter if they'd just TRIED to stay true to the original film, even if they'd discarded all the spin-off novels.

24. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    I just finished Season 2. I hate those cliff hanger endings!

Just out of curiosity, does anyone have any good images of SG soldiers with the black helmets and vests?

[image=http://www.gateworld.net/sg1/s7/graphics/717_14.jpg] There's not much there. 2 points if you can guess the actor and what else he's been in.

25. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    Pic ain't workin'. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.