main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Stargate SG-1

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by JediDragon, Jul 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zoom_Cthooga

Zoom_Cthooga Jedi Master star 6

Jun 30, 2004
    You haven't missed much -- just a lot of disgruntled ex-players. LOL. RDT and I still log in occasionally to see who's still around. Nobody is, though. The only way to get enough people online to make it fun is to combine all 30 servers into 2.

When I first heard about Stargate Worlds a couple years ago, I thought it was a joke, and most sites dismissed it as one. I'm still a little skeptical, considering they plan on releasing next year and don't even have screenshots yet. They're not even listed on MMORPG.com yet. Anything's possible I guess.

It's going to be rough, though -- Star Trek Online is on the way, too. By then I should be done with WoW, grad school, and SWG and have enough time on my hands for 2 new ways to massively waste multiple hours of time.

2. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    Oh my. I'm not that big of a trek fan but that looks pretty cool...

3. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    Ships with hundreds of players on them, space stations, away-missions, and you even get your own living quarters on whatever ship you're assigned to. It'll be like Galaxies, but in space.

People are still petitioning to get Klingons as a playable race in the basic package, but there's still no news on it yet. At least they've added more than just boring humans, and there are no Orcs and Trolls in the game.

I'm hoping you can play more than just humans in SGW, otherwise I won't sign up. [face_plain]

I like how the company calls themselves "Cheyenne Mountain Entertainment" and they're based in Arizona. They should move to Springs so I don't have to move out of state when I decide to leave IT for game programming. :p Maybe even rent office space in CM since the military is closing it.

4. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jun 23, 2000
    The SGW game will allow for different races. I have heard rumors of Asgard, Human, Unas being some of the starting races. Human obviously will allow for a lot of variation. From there you can choose to be Tokra/Goa'uld, Jaffa, Tauri and then there's all the other planetary communities like the Tollan (although they're dead), Jonas' people etc... There haven't been many other species/races seen in the show though.

I have to admit, I've been part of the Dev Message board since it was formed though... [face_blush]

5. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    I am so gonna be an Assguard named Nubwafflez. w00t.

6. Taeriel

Taeriel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    Unas? Out of all the races, they would include Unas as one of the initial possibilities?? :confused:

The game does sound like so much fun, though. I've never tried one of these online games, but I might be tempted enough by this one.

7. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    They're fun...but only with other people. A lot of quests rely solely on having a good group that works well together, or players that keep up on their duties (medics healing, warriors shielding everyone from damage, etc.).

Bad news for you Tivo addicts:

SG-1 will go on...

But they make mention that you need to watch it LIVE. Tivo and those other recording devices don't register in ratings.

8. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jun 23, 2000

Ooo!!!! I wanna be an Assguard named Hemroid. Hehe...

And Tariel, the Unas is just rumor. There may or may not have them in the game.

9. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    Yeah, see, that's the thing I don't understand. a) How do the ratings people know whether you're recording with Tivo or just watching it, b) why do they care - I mean, how is it different from the old days of recording with your vcr, and c) what about people who watch live AND record with TiVo? Are we suppose to NOT record it?

10. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jun 23, 2000
    The people that influence the ratings are the ones who have nielsen boxes. And I'm not quite sure how those are hooked up to your tv. If people had a DVR and they were watching it live, it should be ok to record it, as the box does that automatically no matter what channel you're on. That's how you're able to rewind and pause it. Recording it only saves it memory.

They may be talking about dual tuners on those boxes too. Where one is just reading the signal and recording it, the other is displaying the show on the screen while the person watches it.

11. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    I dunno. I've never understood how ratings are done.

Every year we get some crazy booklet from Neilsen that we're supposed to manually fill out, and they tape $15 to the inside as motivation to do it. Ummm...we didn't do it this year, though. [face_blush]

Nielsen Media has a little info on their site on how recruitment is done, but you can't just sign up for it and get in. They actually attempt to get a random sampling -- probably make sure TV doesn't become nothing by sci-fi, cartoons, and CSI. :p

12. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    Regarding Stargate Worlds and Star Trek Online...

I just posted a thread over at Starland's forum to see if we can get a dev panel next year and get a preview of the game. Go post! Go post!

13. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    This post has spoilers for the mid-season finale episode The Quest, part 1. More important than that, it has speculation on a subject that I'm pretty sure will turn out to be a major spoiler for the show next spring. Read at your own risk, and please keep replies hidden as well.

And if you happen to read real spoilers on the show and happen to know something about this topic... please don't give anything away! I'm all about speculation, but avoid real spoiler information like the plague. (A strange distinction I know, but there you go.)

A lot happened in SG-1's mid-season finale episode The Quest, part 1, and I'm sure much of it deserves discussion. But I have to admit, the one thing that jumped out at me the most was the dragon.

Now, the dragon didn't grab my attention for the same reasons as other people. Rather, it reminded me of something that was said at the SG-1 Comic-Con panel by one of the writer/producers, this past July. Luckily, sci-fi pulse currently has a video of the entire panel available for viewing on their site, so I was able to go back and refresh my memory. And this, in turn, led to me to speculate about something completely different.

One of the audience questions was the inevitable (yet quite valid) question, "When are we going to meet the Furlings?" The writer/producer Joe Mallozzi laughed and pulled out a piece of paper for reference, reading a list from it as he jokingly answered the question.

"Before I left Vancouver, the guys gave me a list of topics I couldn't discuss on the panel, so ah, just check this, um... The team meets two major characters from Aurtherian lore, do not discuss. Daniel goes Darkside and joins the Ori, do not reveal. Umm... The Furlings, the Farscape scene, the dragon, especially the dragon, I can't talk about that. Um, so yeah, we're good."

Now, the audience was totally cracking up during this answer. The way he said it really gave the impression that he was joking around, and the items on the list seemed so absurd that it wasn't really taken seriously. I mean, really... a Farscape scene? A dragon??? We all thought it was hilarious. Keep in mind that this was back in July, before the 200th episode had aired.

I completely forgot about this while watching episode 200. And then the dragon appeared at the end of The Quest, and I was like, "wait a minute...". I watched the panel online, and refreshed my memory of the list that I'd pretty much forgotten. Let's have a retrospective look here:

Team meets two major characters from Aurtherian lore - Daniel, Vala and Elizabeth met the Ascended Morgan le Fey in the episode The Pegasus Project. One down, one to go. (We've seen recordings of Merlin before, but haven't truly met him.)

The Furlings: It was done as a joke, an imaginary scene, in 200, but there were Furlings at the beginning of the episode.

Farscape scene
    : Also in 200.

Dragon: appeared at the end of The Quest, part 1.

So... the little list that was played as such a joke was aparently only pretending to be a joke. And this of course, leads to the remaining item on the list, something that we haven't seen yet: "Daniel goes Darkside and joins the Ori". Add to this that Adria has stated that the Ori have "plans" for Daniel.

Oh, crap.

14. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jun 23, 2000
    *twiddles thumbs and looks away*

Not gonna say anything! [face_mischief]

15. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    Ooooho... that face, that face!! :eek:[face_worried] :_|:_|

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.