main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Starwars Colors

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by s.raw rats, Jan 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. s.raw rats

s.raw rats Jedi Youngling

Jan 1, 2015
    Hello all, my first post here, be gentle.

In Episode one the droid Federation ships have that same overall grey look like the vessels in the OT. But in Episode three the Destroyers are brownisch with red. Offcourse because of film technology the coloring can be way more interesting but for me the simplyfied color pallet of the OT is part of the Starwars feel.
    I think, but I could be wrong, that the blue screens have a little effect because sometimes the Millinium Falcon and the bigger ships have some blue over the grey.

Especially the star destroyers in Empire and the Rebelfleet in Jedi are all in the same tone and
    I hope that the new movies will adapt to that instead of making use of all the modern possibilities to paint cruisers in different shades.

Also with the stormtroopers. We had storm troopers and then Empire came with the snowtroopers and Jedi with the scouts. In Clones all of a sudden troopers had so many different helmets and designation colours. Again, I understand the reason, I am sure the lack of all those colors in the old movies were not a choice but a restriction in possibilities. Question now is how to deal with that in the new movies.

In my memories each Starwars movie from the OT had like a distinctive colorpallete.
    George Lucas even told in an interview that he thought of this each movie.
    With the prequels it seems he abanded that tactic.

What do you all think of this.

PS I am 40, I love Starwars incl the Prequels and Lensflares have no bussines in this thread.

Sarge likes this.
  2. One-Eyed Gran

One-Eyed Gran Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 13, 2014
    I think you've got the right idea; I'm hoping for an integration of classic Star Wars color palettes as well.

I tend to like subdued, dark fairy coloring (somewhere between Pan's Labyrinth and Tim Burton's Sleepy Hollow rather than the washed out Christopher Nolan look).

But Star Wars works best with a blend (not particularly a contrast) of sharp, bright colors (like Tatooine) and grimy, used space motifs.

The standard for Genre Blockbusters in this age is sharp, ultra-digital saturated coloring contrasted with radium does of teal and orange and photoshopped imagery (Peter Jackson's Hobbit trilogy is at the extreme end of this), and it sucks.

J.J. Abrams insistence of shooting The Force Awakens in 35mm goes a long way toward cementing a more organic production for the trilogy movies.

I have a feeling that the spin-off films will feel more modern and digital than the trilogy.

3. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Each spin-off should be able to have its own look. One spin-off could be gray, another could be colorful, another could be teal and orange, etc.

4. One-Eyed Gran

One-Eyed Gran Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 13, 2014
    After the summer of 2014, the world doesn't need any more Teal & Orange darklord.

darklordoftech likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.