main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT State why you love the Prequels!

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by ForceGhostAnakin, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Anakin's hair in ROTS is the best of 2000s cinema.

2. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    I like the prequels because of anakin skywalkers backstory.

What I liked is how 9 year old sweet boy in the phantom menace is going to be evil because of the dark lord of sith in disguise going to manipulate him. It shows that Anakin had been abused as a child by being brainwashed for 13 years unaware of the Sith Lord until Palpatine revealed himself to Anakin.
    The dark side also itself played a part in it even though it was not always palpatine.

I also liked how the sith and the Jedi are similar but obviously we all know who fights for good and love and who fights for evil and hatred.

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  3. WayoftheJedi

WayoftheJedi Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 12, 2019
    Because of the Jedi and Sith that’s what SW is all about .

Merrin likes this.
  4. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    Simply because they literally take me to another universe.

They are warm, they are colourful, they are unpretentious. The characters don't act like we would here on Earth and that is ok, it's a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.

All in all the PT has a magic air about them that make you feel safe. It's hard to describe when watching them.

5. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    Also to put and remind every Star Wars fans that Attack of the Clones is 17 years old 2002 May 16th and Revenge of the Sith is 14 years old. 2005 May 19th.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  6. Sephiroth1335

Sephiroth1335 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 16, 2019
    There are a lot of reasons... first of all I like all three for different reasons and sometimes for the same reason.

Basically I like a lot of the ht things people hated about episode I... I liked Jar Jar Binks even though everyone hated him It hought all the un derwater sequences were really cool
    and interesetwing and showed off the CGI in interesting ways that I didn't really see represented well in later entries.

I thought the overall design for Naboo and everything about it was great very regal and imaginative all at the same time, I read it was inspired by unique locales such as Tunisian
    architecture and the differentness really shows and makes it very cool.

Basically I just enjoyed a lot fo that, also I thought that Qui Gonn Jin n was a really unique Jedi and Liam Neesen did an amazing job... rreally portrayed a very unique kind of Jedi
    that wasn't seen before or since in many ways in my opinion.

The banter with Obi Wan is good, I feel like the lightsaber battles just sorta flowed effortlessly there wasn't a lot of fanfare about what would happen, I thought the use of droids/clones
    as major villains also removed a lot of the moral kinda cringiness by just maikng the enemy robots although I guess that may offend some AI fans out there.

I think Natalie Portman hit the cuteness factor spot on and the fact that Keira Knightley is like the second most attractivene or maybe first depending on your POV crush for like
    a 12 year old boy which is actually when I saw the first movie makes it all fit together really well.

So yeah I think it's a really intersting movie and there's a lot of cool politics, and that's just the first one of course.

Another thing is I liked the transition of Jedi as kinda superheroes from the comic theme more present int he original LIMO to negotiators and diplomats... it makes sense that a single
    jedi can't like destroy a whole army etc it's all about having to navigate the channels and so on that makes it interesting.

The racing scenes are fun also.

So yeah anyway also might as well say I'm new here I guess I've been a Star Wars fan my whole life I guess in a sense and back in t he day I wasn't really aware of forums or
    the internet so after the movies you just were like wow that's awesome and went back to normal life.

So nowadays it's cool being able to talk about it with other folks and see different opinions and stuff.

But yeah that's just the first movie and I could talk about the second one but I feel like that's enough for the moment.

black_saber and ThisIsTheWay like this.
  7. Sephiroth1335

Sephiroth1335 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 16, 2019
    Ok well a giant double post happened so I edited it basically mayb e I'll hopefully write on the second movie here at some point.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  8. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    A shortlist of reasons why I love the Prequels:

1. Obi-Wan is my favorite Star Wars character, so a trilogy that has him as a major character is totally designed to appeal to me.

2. The Jedi are in my opinion the best part of Star Wars so it was awesome for me to learn about their philosophies, their training methods, their Council, and their Chosen One prophecy. All the scenes set in the Temple were also just amazing because it truly felt to me like the Temple was lived in by hundreds of Jedi.

3. I loved the setting of the Preqeuls with a dying democracy and a Jedi Order hundreds strong struggling to bring peace and justice to the galaxy.

4. The political themes of the Prequels with the gravest threat coming from internal corruption rather than an external enemy was very powerful to me. Just the reminder that our great democracies fall from within rather than from external forces felt very profound to me.

5. I loved Anakin's relationship with his mother in the first movie, and I absolutely felt his devastation when she died.

6. Anakin's downfall is always powerful and painful for me to watch. It is the stuff of Greek and Shakespearean tragedy updated to a modern era and for a modern audience.

7. The tragic endings of both Obi-Wan and Padme also resonate with me, leaving me in tears by the end of ROTS.

8. All the scenes where Palpatine manipulates Anakin give me an eerie feeling like all my nerves are standing on end.

9. So many epic battles like the one on Naboo where Obi-Wan defeats Maul and Qui-Gon died or my favorite duel in all of Star Wars between Obi-Wan and Anakin on Mustafar. I can't watch that one without crying when Obi-Wan says his last line about how Anakin was his brother and he had loved him. Oh, the heartbreak that line gives me.

10. The relationships between Obi-Wan and Anakin as well as between Obi-Wan and Anakin are some of my absolute favorite in all of Star Wars.

There I have confined my list of favorite Prequel things to ten, which required great restraint on my part:p

9. WayoftheJedi

Apr 12, 2019
    Lots of Jedi and some Sith.Thats why.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    devilinthedetails likes this.
  10. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    That's a lot of what it boils down to for me too. The setting of the Prequels is so epic that way.

WayoftheJedi likes this.
  11. WayoftheJedi

Apr 12, 2019
    The force/Jedi /Sith is what SW is all about at least for me.

12. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    @WayoftheJedi, my favorite part of the Star Wars movies have always been the Jedi, and most of my favorite characters (Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, Yoda) are great Jedi. I also really like the Sith as powerful, terrifying adversaries. Even within the Sith, we see different types of threats in the sense that some are about brute strength like Maul and some are more about cunning deception like Sidious. I couldn't imagine. The Force, the Jedi, and the Sith are all at the heart of Star Wars for me.

13. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    for me the prequels made the OT better, if that is possible. Obi Wan's encounter with Vader in ANH means more, as does Vader's turn to good in ROTJ. People forget that not many wanted Vader to be good back in the 80's. He was a great villain, but there was not much good about him until the PT made him a tragic figure.

14. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    @christophero30, I absolutely agree with you that the Prequels for me did what Prequels are supposed to do in that they made the Originals seem even better and more meaningful to me. I'm sure that as I grew I would've found more meaning in the Originals anyway just by being able to appreciate more complex ideas and themes (I was only eight when TPM came out, after all), but all the history we see between Obi-Wan and Anakin in the Prequels definitely adds depth to the encounter between Obi-Wan and Vader in ANH.

Whenever I watch that scene, I am reminded of the duel between Obi-Wan and Anakin in ROTS. The contrast between the incredible power that Obi-Wan and Anakin both show in that scene when they are arguably at their peak strength physically with them both being sort of broken figures in ANH really works for me. In ROTS, we saw two incredible warriors at their prime, brother fighting brother, best friend seeking to destroy best friend. Then in ANH we really see the damage they inflicted on one another. Obi-Wan is the one who put Vader in this suit, maiming him, and Anakin is the reason why Obi-Wan was forced to live in lonely, sorrowful exile for the long years between the trilogies. I also understand Vader's desire to be avenged on Obi-Wan, because in his warped worldview, Obi-Wan has probably really wronged him by essentially leaving him for dead on Mustafar. I can really understand how personal this need for revenge is in Vader when I remember his cry of "I hate you" to Obi-Wan on Mustafar. That all just connects to me in a way that has so much power and meaning.

I also agree with you that the Prequel Trilogy can really help with Vader's redemption arc, since in the Original Trilogy we really only get to hear about the ways Anakin was once a good person, but in the Prequel Trilogy we are shown the good sides of him that make him a more tragic figure to me. We see him as a curious young boy eager to help others and torn up about leaving his mother in TPM. We see him in the turmoil of adolescence, grieving the loss of his mother and figuring out his feelings for Padme in AOTC. In ROTS, we see him as the brave, daring warrior whose desire to protect the woman he loves can be warped by Palpatine so he falls to the Dark Side. In the Prequel Trilogy, we see how a good man can fall to the Dark Side, and so in the Original Trilogy we can care more when he is redeemed. I think that in many ways is what makes the Original and Prequel Trilogies come together for me: the fact that we can really follow the rise, fall, and redemption of Anakin Skywalker. I believe that was the grand vision of George Lucas, and I absolutely see that grand vision overall working for me in a meaningful way in the Prequels. That's why I'll always be a loyal fan of the Prequels and a champion of what I see Lucas doing in them.

15. Luna2112

Luna2112 Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 22, 2016
    I love the scale, world building, and how galaxy in the PT truly feels "alive" and inhabited. The OT is great, but it never felt like a "living world" to me. Most of the OT takes place in backwater or barren locations where there's very little in terms of society and cultures, so the OT always felt pretty lifeless and static to me. We also don't really get a sense of why the Empire is the bad guy (except for the Death Star) or what the Rebellion is fighting for; the PT is the exact opposite. We not only get to see the center of galactic civilization, but numerous other cultures and population centers as well, and it really made the galaxy feel alive. We get a sense of the scale of the Clone Wars (especially after TCW) and why it was being fought, as well as adding more weight to the OT and what the Rebellion is fighting to restore. Not to mention, we get Anakin/Vader's backstory which makes his redemption and death even more meaningful and emotional .

16. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Duel of the Fates. Battle of the heroes. Anakin's theme.

devilinthedetails likes this.
  17. Beautiful_Disaster

Beautiful_Disaster Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2005
    Anakin and Padme's relationship was my favorite part of the PT. It was the relationship I had always wanted to know more about since I was young. I love the movies.They're a nice companion piece to the OT. I love the way they expanded on the story.

18. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    Great post! I agree that there is a more impressive feeling of scope and scale in the Prequel era that to me really sold me on the Star Wars universe. The city world of Coruscant and the world of Naboo that is both populated and treated as having a culture rooted in peace and sort of classical architecture does to me make the galaxy feel more lived in, since you're right that in the Originals we mostly end up seeing sparsely populated worlds and backwaters. I also did appreciate the political elements of the Prequels since again it helped the galaxy feel more lived in and better developed. Of course it was also meaningful for me to really see Anakin's backstory in order to more deeply appreciate Vader's redemption at the end of ROTJ.

19. TK-2814

TK-2814 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 20, 2019
    The Prequel trilogy is what I think of when I hear the words “A galaxy far far away”. The imaginative environments, various aliens, and of course the multitude of Jedi. These films were my entry point into Star Wars and my love for these films haven’t changed since.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  20. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    I think it is a complex and fascinating story about the downfall of Anakin, the Jedi and the Republic. More importantly, Lucas didn't try to repeat himself.

21. Darkside Floyd

Darkside Floyd Jedi Master star 2

Sep 3, 2008
    I love the PT because you have to start somewhere.

All the negative criticism over trade routes, economics, tariffs?! (Where are the space battles?!?!) There is a beginning and I love seeing Palpatine's manipulations of economics, politics and people that led him to assuming dictatorial control of a galaxy complete with military complex juggernaut. It's ingenious, subtle and frightening all at the same time.

The downfall of the Jedi order, so rigid in their disciplines and beliefs. The downfall of Anakin, the love story of he and Padme, doomed from the start. Learning more of Obi-Wan (of whom all I really knew from the OT was that he saw things "from a different point of view") which eventually made him my favorite Jedi.

22. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I love TPM because it's visually beautiful, an interesting story, a unique beginning. AOTC may be my least favorite, but it has some good moments involving Anakin and Obi-Wan, and Jango Fett is the best part of the film. ROTS is an intriguing retelling of Faust, and the dynamic between Palpatine and Anakin is fascinating. This is more true in the novelization, but the film is the best of the prequels.

Now, speaking of which, here we find our favorite Sith master and apprentice visiting a hospital. Such a nice thing to do!

23. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Consistently great music.
    Good action.
    Gave us new designs and technology.
    Interesting subplots (Palpatine, the clones, Jedi being clouded).
    Generally fun and rewatchable.
    They lead in to the golden era of Star Wars - the CT.

24. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Rewatching AOTC, I have to say how visually boundary pushing this film is. The neo noir elements on Coruscant are beautiful. The nightclub color pallete is divine. Watching AOTC just days after TROS, man, Anakin is so much more enjoyable than Kylo Ren. There is some great dialogue here too.

"I would think you Jedi would know the difference between knowledge and wisdom."
    "Well, if droids could think, there would be none of us here."

Also some great character building dialogue too.

"Besides, you're generalizing. The Chancellor doesn't appear to be corrupt."
    "Palpatine is a politician. I have observed he is very good at following the passions and prejudices of the Senators."

I find it quite ironic that Anakin, a slave on Tatooine, is more idealistic in the Republic's leadership than Obi-Wan. Then again, Anakin does trust Palps :p

25. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I think love made Anakin feel optimistic and trusting, hence his attitude towards Palpatine being positive. He was also Jedi and felt apart of the system of leadership and defence.