main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT State why you love the Prequels!

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by ForceGhostAnakin, Feb 6, 2017.

1. CaptainSuchandSuch

CaptainSuchandSuch Jedi Master star 2

Dec 8, 2015
    The overall cinematic direction comes to mind first. Very lovely visuals and imaginative background world-building, very unique and impressively-choreographed action sequences, excellent editing, sound effects, fantastic musical scoring.

The story also interests me. While I enjoy the tragedy and heavy impact of ROTS the most, I've also come to appreciate how the first two films subtly build up to those events. The first film features the galaxy at a golden and innocent age, but with the seeds of the fall being planted. In the second film, those seeds have grown into the plants that bring collapse in the third film.

Also, get this -- I like the characters, too. Many underrated characters in these films.

2. J7Luke

J7Luke Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 30, 2017

Amen to that. I have never understood people who pick and choose parts of Star Wars to like. Star Wars is a beautifully crafted culture, and each part of it has its own set of strengths that add to the overall awesomeness. Every time something new is added to the Star Wars universe, it just adds to my love of Star Wars even more. I'm glad that other people feel the same way.

I agree. The end of RotS is so devastating that it leaves me feeling a little depressed for a day or two after I finish watching the PT (even though I've seen it dozens of times now). No other movie or movie series ever has had such an effect on me. Watching characters you care about and a beautiful, prosperous galaxy fall apart is so sad (in a good way), and it sets up so nicely for the tone of the OT. Even though Hayden Christensen gets a lot of hate, the bond between him and Obi-wan is so interesting that when they duel on Mustafar, it is extremely emotionally intense and powerful. Beyond that, watching the Jedi, people you grow to think of as the embodiment of good, be killed off or beaten and exiled; watching clones, who were the definition of selfless loyalty, turn on the Jedi and callously betray them and the galaxy; watching the Senate, which represents democracy and liberty, welcome in the evil tyranny of the Empire with thunderous applause; watching Anakin and Padmé's love, which is so strong that it supersedes the Jedi code and survives separation, secrecy, and disapproval, be torn apart and see the effect it has on both Padmé and Anakin; watching people like Yoda, who were supposed to be incredibly wise and perceptive, be duped by the evil Sith; and watching evil completely and utterly destroy not only good, but really every value that is considered good, is so overwhelmingly devastating that, in my books, it beats out Romeo and Juliet for saddest ending of all time. It is a perfectly executed The Bad Guys Wins. Really, it is a perfect trilogy period. And the way it sets up the OT is an added bonus.

3. Torib

Torib Jedi Master star 2

Jan 27, 2016
    One of my favorite things about these movies is how they combine and mash together all sorts of disparate influences in unexpected ways. So you have the pod race, with sputtering clunky-looking engines that recall the early rough-and-tumble propeller planes of the age of flight, but that also by virtue of their tethered design bring to mind ancient Roman chariot races like in Ben Hur. It's a fun conflagration of elements, and somehow it instantly works in a surprisingly seamless way, just as the first Star Wars was able to combine parts taken from Kurosawa movies with parts from Westerns and The Battle of Britain and a bunch of other influences, and to bring all those together and somehow make something new that felt totally fresh.

I like that the movies are grand sprawling operas and yet strangely intimate and autobiographical at the same time. I like how they draw from history and politics in insightful and sometimes prescient ways, and how they use those elements to tell a story about the failures of individuals and societies. I like the visual imagination and attention to detail -- for some reason, particular moments stick with me in a way they don't in other movies -- the first sight of Kamino shrouded in rain, for example, or the exact way an N-1 fighter explodes with the swelling of the music upon being hit by one of those quad laser batteries. I also like that the movies are unique and interesting to talk about, probably more so than the originals. And I like the way they complement the originals. Where the originals were brash and energetic and sometimes bombastic, the prequels are quiet and elegant and maybe a little harder to get to know. The Yin to the OT's Yang. Balance through opposites. Symmetry through asymmetry. They complete the whole.

4. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    The prequels breathed new life into the franchise, expanded the world, and made the saga so much more complex, intricate, and interesting than they were before.

5. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Simply put, because Star Wars is only half as interesting without them.

6. darthgator1217

darthgator1217 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    I'm not afraid to say that I love the prequels. Lucas made a stylistically distinct trilogy that flows nicely into ANH. It's interesting to me that since the PT movies have been around I watch them more than the OT and I grew up with the OT.

It's my hope that future SW movies do not shun the PT. Rogue one was not afraid to embrace both the PT and OT and it was all the better for it. I hope this continues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    More SW.
    Finding out the backstory of the OT.
    The Podrace, Seismic charges, the Execution Arena, the Battle of Geonosis, Theed, Eta 2 Interceptors,
    Duel of the Fates, Anakin's Dark Deeds, Across the Stars, The Tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise, and more.

8. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    My favorite sound in all of Star Wars for sure!

9. SupremeLeaderTrump

SupremeLeaderTrump Jedi Youngling

Jan 26, 2017
    Another reason why i love the prequels is that the plot isn't black and white, which makes it stand out compared to the OT. In the OT, it is explicitly established that the rebellion are the good guys and the empire is evil. While in the PT, neither factions are good or bad. You have the failing Galactic Republic that were struggling to keep its integrity, and you have the Separatists who succeeded to escape the Republic's excessive taxation and corruption. Unfortunately, both factions were controlled by Palpatine and both were merely pawns for his ultimate plan to rule the Galaxy. I was actually saddened to see the separatist council members being slaughtered.

Also the PT made me love Palpatine even more. He's a brilliant manipulator and a great deceiver who took every opportunity to his advantage. He secretly controlled both the Republic and the Separatists. He secretly instigated the Naboo crisis to help him win votes. He instigate the Clone Wars so the Republic's transition into the Empire would be favored by the senate later on. He used the confrontation with him and 4 jedi masters to justify Order 66.

The complexity of the prequels are just too great.

I also enjoyed Christopher Lee and Ewan McGregors' portrayal of Count Dooku and Obi Wan Kenobi, respectively. They did a fine job.

10. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    I like them simply because they are good and interesting films.

11. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    The PT brought me to Star Wars. Qui Gon Jinn, Obi Wan Kenobi, Padme Amidala, Darth Maul, Anakin Skywalker, Palpatine, Jango Fett, Count Dooku and General Grievous move the story forward. I watch The Phantom Menace 100 times before Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith were released. The clones are great soldiers, the Jedi are a dynamic group in itself and the political aspect of the galaxy is truly exposed. I enjoy the PT and the Clone Wars show way more than I do the OT. I really wish Disney would return to the Clone War or Pre Clone War timeline. I'd love to see another Star Wars film outside of the main 6, Disney just hasn't giving me a film to get excited about since Revenge of the Sith.

12. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
    TPM was my first favorite SW movie; great costumes, action and production design. Otoh Gunga and the pod-race blew my 12 year old mind. Its nice to see the GFFA in its prime before decades of tyranny, war, and suffering took their toll.

AOTC-who needs Boba Fett when you have Zam Wesell.

ROTS was the first movie I remember drawing a genuine powerful emotional reaction from my now 13 year old self. The tragic fates of the main characters were all so unfair.
    Padme-dead before her time.
    Anakin-mutilated, permanently cut off from his friends and family by the Vader suit, and a slave once more.(He's only 23.)
    Obi-wan exiled to the middle of the Jundland Wastes, his heart broken, and the only life he'd ever known in ruins, when he'd only ever wanted to help.

I like that you can go to the opera in space, moreover I like that the Emperor himself does so, Palpatine may have been evil incarnate, but at least he was a classy guy.;)

Out of all the movies thus far I genuinely feel that ROTS comes the closest to the 'sweeping-epic' feel that the series seems to be continually striving for, again great visuals.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    The music, the scenery, the battles, Ian Mcdiarmid, Yoda, Windu/Jackson, the ships and vehicles, the duels.

J7Luke likes this.
  14. Padema

Padema Jedi Master star 1

Mar 11, 2007
    The music and the world building are 2 of my top reasons that I like them.

15. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    The PT brought in a lot of fans, myself included. The Clone Wars show just made me love the PT even more. I used love watching the PT films and then playing Star Wars Battlefront 2 on PS2. It's a great experience

16. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    I don't love the prequels. I love ROTS and parts of TPM and AOTC. It's nowhere near as consistent as the OT, and hopefully the ST, but it's not the dire, rape-my-childhood-suckfest that it's often accused of.

- I appreciate the ambitious scope of the effects work. Yes I think they went overboard at times, but the PT really pushed the technological envelope and every major film since has grow out of the work ILM did on these movies.

- It expanded the visual palate for the entire series. The PT is a visual feast on a level seldom seen, even to this day. The scope of George's vision was massive, gorgeous, and so provocative to the eyes. When he says that the tech of the 70s/80s couldn't really execute his vision, the PT serves as the perfect confirmation of this. From the costumes and hair, to the city and land scapes, and on through ship design, so much meticulous, beautiful work was poured into this trilogy and it shows.

- The politics! Yes, one of the most maligned aspects of the PT is one of it's great assets for me. The rise and fall of Anakin is the lead story, but the political state of the galaxy, and all the shifts and changes, was a much more interesting story to me.

- Palpatine. He is the black heart of these films. Ian is the best actor of the entire PT and with Palps being one of my favorite characters, I relished in watching him puppet master everyone else. These trilogy is about Anakin, but it truly belongs to Palpatine. His Machiavellian maneuvering is arguably my favorite thing about the PT.

- Saber battles. While I still believe the ROTJ thrown room fight is the crown jewel of SW, I loved the PT duels. ALL of them. ROTS especially is packed wall to wall with arguably most of my favorite duels. I grew up thirsty to see Palpatine and Yoda throw down and George did not disappoint. We really got to see true Jedi and Sith masters at their very best and I will always appreciate that.

- The more complex plotting. While not nearly as well executed as the OT plots, I did appreciate the attempt to add more complicated themes and ideas to the universe. He didn't just repeat the OT, he tried to break new ground.

- Yoda. Super unpopular with many SW fans, sure, but I actually love PT Yoda more than OT. He's just so damn amazing badass in a way that, even in childhood, I wanted to see Yoda as. I think he looks almost as great in CG as the amazing original puppet. Yes the best Yoda "performance" is in TESB, but I actually prefer the more active, involved Yoda of the PT.

- Acting. The PT has very uneven acting, with the lowest lows of the saga. However it also has the highest highs too. Some of the greatest acting of the saga are sprinkled across these three films. It just lacks consistency.

- Music. JW does it again. End of story.

KamenSentaiMetalHero likes this.
  17. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
    It seems that we are in almost unanimous agreement on these points, but if I may add a little...

• TPM has our first cannon mention of the Rule of Two, at Qui-gon's funeral. Apparently Darth Bane was a GL creation.
    • How can anybody not love the fact that there's an opera in space. Especially one you can learn Sith lore at.
    RE: earlier comment on the 'frontier', I genuinely miss the lavish production design. (Comparison of Space Opera, with Vienna State Opera)
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

jaqen likes this.
  18. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    The ROTS opera scene isn't only one of the best scene of that film, but one of the best of the entire saga.

I think Duel of Fate was a technical masterpiece. From that perspective it's never been topped, and yes, likely never will be. I enjoyed other duels more due to the character involvement and their place in the overall story.

Yes! Look the frontier has it's place, and from a purely business perspective I understood why TFA was designed to cop so heavily from the OT in this respect. But it's finished and done with. Time to tap from the PT and bring back some of the exotic, elaborate, and civilized parts of the GFFA. I'd kill to see Coruscant again, it being my favorite planet and all. But even if we never see any of the PT era planets again, expand the visual again, please.

19. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    PT also has a great soundtrack of all 3 films. Really good music in these movies. Plus the PT has many villians. Maul, Dooku, Grevious, Jango, Sebulba, Watto, Zam and Palpatine. Its a play pin of characters. I need to see blu rays.

20. MarcJordan

MarcJordan Force Ghost star 4

Nov 17, 2014
    It's got the best line in all of the Saga "even the nature of the Dark Side" Every syllable, every inflection, every intricacy, delivered with perfect balance and control. I could go on and on how much meaning of the words, of Ian McDiarmid is par excellence.

He made it sound like he's in control of everyone's destiny. Pure evil. Drops the words that removed everyone's doubt about who's the puppet master of all. My knees literally shook from my first viewing and beyond.

MJ

Merrin, J7Luke and Padema like this.
  21. Padema

Padema Jedi Master star 1

Mar 11, 2007
    I like all the details about Naboo.

Merrin and MarcJordan like this.
  22. MarcJordan

MarcJordan Force Ghost star 4

Nov 17, 2014
  23. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Yeah the opera scene is awesome, and not just the Sith lore. But the grandeur you get the feeling that this place(Coruscant) really is the center of galactic civilization.

Merrin and J7Luke like this.
  24. Skywalker Family

Skywalker Family Jedi Master star 3

Mar 15, 2017
    I grew up with the prequels. I remember cutting class and going to 7 eleven to get my Revenge of the Sith Slurpee cup. I have the one with Anakin and Obi-Wan ready to battle. I still have newspaper clipping about the prequels. Magazines, posters, books and shirts. I still have a Skittles wrapper in great condition that has Anakin on it. Yea I'm shallow Hayden is hot. Still have movie and trading cards. All in good condition because I never take them out.My friends and I took turns on buying the tickets for each movie.

The soundtrack to each prequel is amazing. Duel of the fates what more can you say.

Loved seeing the other planets in the galaxy. Naboo and Coruscant are my favorites.

The lightsaber fights are great. It was nice to see the Jedi together in the Battle of Geonosis.

Ian McDiramid was smooth as silk. I can see why Anakin joined him. He said all the right things. The Opera scene was great. He played them all like a fiddle from day one.

In ROTS when Anakin and Padme sense each other and the music kicks in was beautiful. The way it was filmed it hit every note.

25. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    The story of Anakin.

Seeing how the Empire took shape.

The characters.

The Music

The Battles, lightsaber fights, and visuals.

The Planets.

I also find them to very emotional stories..