main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Beyond - Legends Stay the Night (Talon, Shada) - Valentine's day songfic roulette

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by divapilot, Apr 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. divapilot

divapilot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Title: Stay the Night
    Author: Divapilot
    Rating: PG
    Summary: Talon Karrde understands that timing is everything.
    Time period: Post- Union
    Characters: Talon Karrde, Shada D?ukal
    Genre: romance

Written in response to the Valentine?s Day Songfic Roulette challenge. You can find the thread [link=http://boards.theforce.net/fan_fiction_resource/b10304/31505735/p1/?57] here. [/link] The song was James Blunt?s ?Stay the Night.?

It?s 72 degrees, zero chance of rain
    It?s been a perfect day
    We?re all spinning on our heels, so far away from real
    In California
    We watched the sunset from our car, we all took it in
    And by the time that it was dark, you and me had something.

Sunlight slanted its last rays across the bay, tinting the horizon with vivid golds and violets. Talon Karrde rested his arms on the balcony and absorbed the view. He had nearly forgotten the simple beauty of a sunset, as days blurred into night without differentiation onboard his ship. In his line of work, he had so few opportunities to simply slow down that he was determined to enjoy this time while he could.

The door chimed softly. ?Enter,? he called.

A moment later the door slid open and Shada D?ukal walked in, data pad in hand. She stopped for a moment as her eyes adjusted to the brightness from the balcony, and Talon once more noted how disarmingly lovely she was. Then she entered the room and Talon assumed a crisp, professional demeanor.

?So, how did our clients feel about our offer?? Talon asked, motioning for her to sit at a small table.

Shada slid gracefully into her seat. ?They were pleased. I think we can have this project completed in only a day or so.?

?Good,? Talon said with a smile. ?Can I offer you something to drink??

?I?d love something cool,? she said. Talon walked over to the bar of his suite and began to pour out two drinks. Out of the corner of his eye, he watched her stretch her long legs.

?Here you are,? he said, walking back to the table and placing a glass in front of her. He raised his glass and tipped it toward her. ?Congratulations,? he said warmly.

?Let?s not call this over before it?s done,? she warned. But despite her words, he could see Shada visibly relax, her shoulders becoming more rounded. A slender hand ran through her straight black hair. She looked around the suite curiously. ?I see that being the boss has its benefits, doesn?t it?? she said, smiling.

?True. It?s not the most glamorous suite in the resort ? I leave that to the high rollers and the celebrities. But this one has its advantages.?

She tipped her glass to him. ?Like quick access to the shuttle port line and a more defensible position overlooking the only open beachfront??

Talon chuckled knowingly.

And if this is what we?ve got, then what we?ve got is gold
    We?re shining bright and I want you, I want you to know
    The morning?s on its way, our friends all say goodbye
    There?s nowhere else to go, I hope that you?ll stay the night

?Let?s see what the offer is,? Talon said. He settled back in his chair as Shada manipulated the datapad. Moments later, they were both absorbed in financial details.

After Mara?s departure, he was unsure how Shada would handle the multitude of tasks that Mara accomplished. But she learned quickly, she was creative, and she was committed to succeeding. Shada was no substitute for Mara; no one could replace Mara. Shada was?well, Shada was different. Shada was more settled; less in perpetual argument with herself the way Mara was.

She outlined the proposal concisely for Talon, who noted silently how she managed to incorporate some of the more delicate issues of the business while keeping profits in their favor. He had spent most of his life devoted to the acquisition of profits, and Shada understood this as well as he. Like him, Shada scrapped her way to the top of her profession. Like him, she had a knack for knowing what people were willing to bargain for ? and what they wouldn?t ever settl

2. JediMara77

JediMara77 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Oh I looooooove K/S and there just isn't enough of it in the world! This was lovely. :)

3. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    This was excellent! There definitely isn't enough Karrde/Shada and I really like the way you handled it. Hinting at a relationship, but not quite there yet.

4. Luna_Nightshade

Luna_Nightshade Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2006
    Very subtle and lovely. Not so much romantic, but...sultry? Great vignette.

5. SITH_MAYO

SITH_MAYO Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2005
    Aww.. kind of bittersweet. :(
    I loved it. Subtle and perfect.
    Nice one!=D=

6. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    Lovely. =D=

Bitter sweet, too. That last sentence was perfect, though.

There would be another time...we can just hope they won't wait too long because you never know in life.

7. Karrde08

Karrde08 Jedi Youngling

Aug 27, 2009
    I like them =D=
    Thanks

8. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Game Host Who Loves Fanfics & RPGs star 7 VIP - Game Host

Aug 31, 2004
    Hi!!!!!!!!! I was just thinking of you today and how MUCH I miss your elegant style of writing and breathtaking knack for putting me in a scene.

=D= =D=

And your T/S is stunning!

I -- ahem was expecting one of them to jump the other [face_laugh] -- probably because profic has left them totally in the dust :p :( -- so I'm ready for them not to waste any time [face_laugh]

But this way makes sense as long as they don't take years o_O and of course it leads nicely into a sequel [face_batting]

[:D]

9. Myriad_Daydreams

Myriad_Daydreams Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2007
    Hello, diva. It's been awhile :)

Just wanted to pop in here and say that not only am I not very well versed in the character of Shada, or this particular song, but that you nailed both completely. I love your exquisite characterizations, and your ability to pinpoint details and express them without needing a bajillion and one words to do so.

I love this.

10. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace SouthEast RSA star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 15, 1999
    *basks in the glow of a fic by Diva and it's K/S, to boot!!!* [face_love] [face_love] [face_love]

This was lovely and perfectly in character/canon and other "c" words that make me want to read a whole book like this. [:D]

11. mavjade

mavjade It's so FLUFFY! Fanfic Manager star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 10, 2005
    What a wonderful little viggy, diva!! =D=

Great characterization, I especially liked the description of how Mara and Shada are both great but both so different.

I feel for Talon, I think most everyone has been there :( but you left us with a slightly hopeful feeling at the end which is always nice! :D

Wonderful job!

12. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    Diva!! Hey, gal! :D

What a treat to find when I popped in here--Talon/Shada! [face_love] How I love those two crazy kids. Karrde is smart to bide his time, let her come to him. Play hard to get. Maybe show a little leg. [face_laugh] All good things come in time, and I think sooner than later these two will be sharing space.

Love it and the quiet simplicity it brings. There's nothing like a diva-fic!!

13. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    How did I miss this???

I like how you go where others rarely do. It would have been so easy to write this as a relationship consumated, but you took a fresher route and left us wanting more.

Bravo! =D=

14. divapilot

Nov 30, 2005
    I?ve been only popping in on occasion, so I was thrilled and honored to see this fic nominated, but then I was completely embarrassed to see I never thanked those who replied! So after too much time elapsed, my manners have finally kicked in.

JediMara77: Thank you! I usually ship Luke/Mara, but Talon and Shada intrigue me. They?re older and wiser, both late to love, and deserve the relationship they finally achieve.

Tarsier: Thank you, I?m glad you liked it. This does hint at a relationship, one where Talon offers her the opportunity to accept but also, gentleman that he is, gives her a way out if she isn?t ready.

Luna_Nightshade: Thanks! I was definitely going for subtle. Talon and Shada aren?t the type of people to be obvious, especially in their personal relationship. This brings them together in a hopeful way.

SITH_MAYO: Thanks so much! It was bittersweet, in a way, in that they didn?t connect. But more sweet, I like to think, in that it isn?t over yet.

Ceillean: Thank you for reading & replying! I?m glad you liked that last sentence; it?s where the whole story comes together. Just like timing is important in his business, it?s important in his relationship with Shada. And if she isn?t ready to commit just yet, he knows she?ll come around soon.

Karrde08: Thank you! I?m happy you enjoyed this.

Jade_eyes: Hey there! Glad to see you! Thanks for reading & replying. Talon and Shada don?t get remembered too much, but they have their own story to tell. There?s something compelling and human about them, two people who didn?t expect love and found it anyway.

Myriad_Daydreams: Hello there! I?m glad you stopped in and replied! I have to admit I had never heard the song myself. But listening to it, it seemed hopeful, so I kind of applied it to Talon & Shada. Thank you so much for your very kind words!

Jedi Trace: Thanks so much! I appreciate it. Talon has always been intriguing to me, and I love the idea that he and Shada finally found love after so many years. It seems he would look at a relationship with the same idea that he looks at business ? you have to have the timing right and the right partner, or the connection won?t work.

mavjade Thank you! I?m glad you liked it. Mara and Shada are very different ? both intelligent and competent, but with totally different directions in life. After being ?dad? to Mara, Talon would view Shada in a completely different light. The time was right for someone for him. It is hopeful at the end ? maybe Shada isn?t ready yet, the signs are all positive.

Ginchy: Hey girl! So good to hear from you! ?All good things come in time.? That?s something Talon understood, and let Shada have her space and time to come to him. She knows the invitation?s out.

Jade_Pilot: Thanks girlfriend! SO nice to have you drop in! I?m glad you picked up on the idea that they didn?t consummate it ? he didn?t stay the night. But he let her know that he would have, if she had asked ? and it was entirely her decision. He empowered her to be the one inviting him, if she felt comfortable.

Thank you again so much for nominating this as best songfic! I?m very, very honored.

15. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    Congrats on your win, Sister-pilot! =D=

16. divapilot

Nov 30, 2005
    Thank you, sista! And thank you very, very much for selecting this as best songfic! I'm very honored.

[:D]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.