main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Steven Erikson - The Malazan Book of the Fallen

Discussion in 'Community' started by Mastadge, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    Ah cool, we have a thread for this. A couple of users told me about it last year and only now am I getting the time to start reading it finally. Will share thoughts once I'm done or want to,

2. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    "when im done". we're gonna be waiting a long time unless you're an unemployed speed-reader :p

Jedi Ben and Darthmaul208 like this.
  3. Negotiator1138

Negotiator1138 Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 23, 2016
    I finished Gardens of the Moon, I loved it!

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  4. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Grats! I'm still on the way.

Rogue_Ten and Kenobi1138 like this.
  5. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Rogue_Ten

Finally picked up Memories of Ice!

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  6. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    About 400 pages in,
    I'm at the Siege of Capustan, just after Gruntle gathers the civilians to help fight the Pannion regular forces

I actually like this better than Deadhouse Gates. Though DG had the best subplot so far (Chain of Dogs), overall Memories of Ice has grabbed me more with all of the plot threads. Ganoes and the Bridgeburners with the Barghast, Toc the Younger's journeys and travails, the combined Onearm/Brood/Rake forces marching towards the Domin, and everyone else at Capustan. and whatever the hell is going on with the Crippled God, Quick Ben and K'rul. Every part has been excellent.

Right now it seems that
    the Pannion Seer is one of the Jaghut children who was imprisoned in the first prologue?
    Don't confirm or deny, but that's how I'm reading it, 400 pages in.
    I have no idea how Toc is going to get out of this, though hopefully that wolf that seems to be inside him helps him out.
    Also the Tenescrowi scare the crap out of me. Erikson wrote them well.

Also the hounds that are loose in Dragnipur have to be the biggest Chekov's Gun right now. I'm predicting that Anomander Rake will be hoisted by his own petard and trapped in Dragnipur as a result much later on.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  7. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    agreed.

tenescowri are dope

ive been really busy lately so i havent finished my reread of gardens yet, but im definitely enjoying it more on my second time around. partly because i understand the terms and general cadence better, and partly because i know some of what's coming for some of the characters and i can appreciate how well planned out (for the most part) everything must have been

8. DRHJ9

DRHJ9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2003
    Dancers Lament was pretty good, reading Deadhouse Landing now.

9. DRHJ9

May 19, 2003
    Book one of the Witness Trilogy is close to publishing...the first scene Erikson posted was very interesting.

3sm1r likes this.
  10. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    I dropped at half of The House of Chains, but I wouldn't mind starting again.
    The only problem is that there are too many things to remember. It's like studying lol.

DRHJ9 likes this.
  11. DRHJ9

May 19, 2003
    I hear you...Erikson’s scope, cast, and number of storylines dwarf almost every other series out there.

3sm1r likes this.
  12. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    So far, Coltaine's story line was the one that had the biggest impact on my memory. The ending in particular was beautiful.

DRHJ9 likes this.
  13. DRHJ9

May 19, 2003
    That was my favorite storyline of the series...and there are so many great storylines.

3sm1r likes this.
  14. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    I'm a good 2/3 of the way through Gardens of the Moon and I'm enjoying it but it's incredibly dense. I assume that only continues to be true in the subsequent books?

15. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Yes but he significantly improves the quality in the writing starting from the second. Gardens of the Moon is arguably the worst.

16. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    Keep on going. Although the following book, Midnight Tides, also takes place with a new cast and new land, it's one of the best. And the sixth book, The Bonehunters, is tied with Memories of Ice as my favorite.

3sm1r likes this.
  17. DRHJ9

May 19, 2003
    Erikson always brings together his various threads, and always pays off in the end.

18. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    But what's the series actually about? Spoil me. People can only talk vaguely about how it covers so much time and so many characters and places, but never about what it's really about. With the criticism I've heard of its bland unlikeable characters and too much violence, too wordy when it could be cut down, I wonder if the "epic-ness" worldbuilding is just a a way to hide a shallow story since no one is talking about its plots, ideas, themes, or deeper meaning whenever I hear it discussed.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  19. DRHJ9

May 19, 2003
    I would disagree with anyone saying that the characters are bland, or that the “story” is shallow. If people are being vague, it’s because this series IS so big that to sum it up would take forever.

If I had to take a stab at it, the overall theme of the series is about Redemption, Compassion, the idea of how civilization leads to both greatness and horror. Central to the main story arc, is The Malazan Empire. Most of the story is told through the eyes of the common soldier, and how the burden of the past falls on these men and women.

There are plenty of reviews and summaries that do a better job of explaining things, than posts on a forum. I would suggest searching those out...if you really want to know.

Jedi Ben and Ghost like this.
  20. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Well thank you. And I wasn't commenting on this thread, which I didn't know we had, I just hadn't heard anything deeper about it in any of the review or videos I've seen.

DRHJ9 likes this.
  21. DRHJ9

May 19, 2003
    Yeah, it’s hard to nail down...because unlike AOIAF, Wheel of Time, Stormlight and other epic series...there isn’t a main protagonist, or set of them. Loyalties change, and themes change from book to book. The above post is broad, but righting an ancient wrong, and compassion are huge overall plot points. Anyway...there are ppl more articulate than me...who can probably do better than me at giving you a summary lol

Jedi Ben likes this.
  22. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    D's put it well.

My take is that I can't ever quite grasp all of it is what makes it work for me. I also think Erikson and Esselmont's interest in archaeology influences the series so as to make it stand out.

Now, if Erikson can get back to Walk in Shadow, the concluding volume of a prequel trilogy, I'll be happy.

23. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Finished Gardens of the Moon finally! Took me a couple months, but I did it. Gonna take a break and read some other things before moving onto Deadhouse Gates but I'm certainly intrigued.

24. DRHJ9

May 19, 2003
    Deadhouse Gates was really good, one of my favorites of the series. I would argue that it might be the most important in terms of setting the tone for the Malazans.

darthcaedus1138 and 3sm1r like this.
  25. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Looks like we'll be getting Path to Ascendancy: Book 4: Forge of the High Mage in April 2023.

Erikson is continuing to work on both Walk In Shadow and the sequel to The God Is Not Willing.