main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Steven spielberg and revenge of the sith

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Jedi_Jack_17, Oct 29, 2013.

1. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    Director Ron Fricke (the awesome "Samsara", "Baraka." and cinematographer of "Koyaanisqatsi") also contributed to ROTS. He shot various 2nd unit footage of volcanic eruptions in Italy to be used for Mustafar, although I'm not entirely sure what or exactly how much of his work made it into the film. Anyone know? I've always wondered. He's credited as "director of photography: Sicily and Thailand."

Steven Spielberg is actually credited in ROTS, too, as "assistant director -- action scenes."

I wished someone would have convinced George to re-re-do the Mace vs Sidious duel. I love the scene, don't get me wrong, but it bothers me every time I watch the film. We've got four legit Jedi Masters (members of the council, even!) and all but one survive longer than like 8 seconds. I get there's limited screen time to cram in so many duels, and I get that they were attacked in close quarters and I get Sidious is powerful, but geez, the scene and fight are staged just downright poorly. If Lucas was intent on keeping the scene in this manner, he should have removed either Fisto, Kolar, or Tiin from the scene altogether. Or at the very least give them all a few more seconds before they hit the floor.

After the ROTS release, I always fantasized of one day seeing an SE version, with this scene receiving additional footage. Alas.

2. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012

Very interesting! I just watched Koyaanisqatsi last night for the first time. I've been familiar with the score for a long time but I had never gotten around to actually sit down and watch the film. Bits in the opening scene actually reminded me of the Mustafar duel stuff--the stuff around 2:15 and further here:

But I don't know if that's intentional or not.

Cryogenic likes this.
  3. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Transferring all nerd rage to Spielberg in 5....4....

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    This sounds amazing! I'd like to see a clip of this.

It was pretty stupid to have 3 Jedi killed in 8 seconds or so as well.

TX-20 likes this.
  5. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

Why? Why is this important to you?

And by the way, it took Palpatine a bit longer to kill the 3rd Jedi, due to Mace's interference.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Boom, boom............boom. That's what it was like. That was sad. Palpatine's awesome and all but making the Jedi look like chumps is stupid. Palpatine would win in the end but having it ended in 10 seconds? Lame. 3 of the best swordsman killed in 10 seconds? We're supposed to take that seriously? Give me a break.

Jumping back to Anakin being a double agent for Palpatine I wish the Jedi had referred to Anakin with the codename Vader (as a nod to ANH when Obi-Wan tells Luke Vader was his apprentice as well) when he was spying on Palpatine and then Palpatine would use the name Darth Vader since he was his double agent.

kubricklynch likes this.
  7. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    My understanding is that Spielberg helped most on the action choreography in the Anakin vs Obi duel and he also came up with some of the ideas for Obi vs. Grievous chase. Thankfully, GL or someone else rejected most of his ideas for Grievous chase because it was really ridiculous and overly long.

It's also my understanding that GL was disatisfied with the first version of the Mace vs. Palpatine duel and Anakin's interaction with them. GL recognized that he had a problem, and he talked with Spielberg and another director about it. I think GL came up with the ideas how to change the scene. I think Spielberg and the other guy simply agreed with GL that the scene as it was didn't feel right.

GL also states in the director's commentary that he wanted to change Anakin's motivation with the re-shoot. Before, Anakin had basically already allied himself with the Sith after his conversation with Palpatine. Palpatine had convinced him that the Jedi were corrupt and holding him back. GL decided to make Anakin's change more sympathetic. So, in the final version, Anakin is really torn, and then when he walks in on Mace and soon sees Palpatine faking like he can't protect himself from Mace who is about to kill him, Anakin realizes he has to make a choice. So, he chooses to disarm Mace so that Palpatine would be able to save Padme from death. Even after Mace is disarmed, GL says that Anakin still planned on helping Mace arrest him and that he would get Palpatine's help while he's in prison. Anakin truly believed that Palpatine was totally defeated and was surprised when he roared back to life and fried Mace and sent him flying out the window.

{Quantum/MIDI} likes this.
  8. Darth Zannah

Darth Zannah Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 28, 2014
    In my opinion, those Jedi's are a bunch of nobodies anyway....sure, i got to know them after The Clone Wars TV show but I never jumped out of my seat and rooted for Kit Fisto ever in my life...I could have cared less about them...for they didn't utter a single line in the entire prequel trilogy...

I also think this shows just how powerful Palpatine really is...he eat's council members for breakfast, lunch and dinner!

This is a great thread. Really old school. Never meant to be in the PT forums...came across this via google when I was making an inquiry into Spielberg's work on ROTS. Lots of great info here....thanks everyone...

@ ForceSmuggler...but the Jedi are chumps bro!

For I am Sith [face_skull]...

Andy Wylde likes this.
  9. Andy Wylde

Andy Wylde Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2014
    I loved how Sidious mopped the floor with those Jedi! Masters at that. It was the only time we will see Sidious use a saber also with Yoda, but after that we never see him battle anyone again. Except blast Luke with lightning but that isn't really fighting someone. We got to see Sidious just being discovered by the Jedi and he shows one of the reasons why he is a true bad ***! If the scene would have dragged out longer it would have been a long sparring scene with the end results being the exact same.

{Quantum/MIDI} and Darth Zannah like this.