main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Still Flying: Serenity/Firefly

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by JediTrilobite, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -Courtney-

-Courtney- Jedi Master star 5

Oct 8, 2005
    Hey, I don't know if you guys have heard this before but there is another Serenity graphic novel in the works. From Fireflyfans.net and the Feb. 2007 issue of Wizard:

"In addition to revisiting Buffy, Joss Whedon also takes to the skies in late 2007 with Serenity: Better Days, a three issue Dark Horse miniseries following the hard-luck space-mercenary that starred in the "Firefly" TV series and the "Serenity" film.

Whedon reteams with writer Brett Matthews, who cowrote 2005's Serenity: Those Left Behind miniseries, to see what happens when a heist goes right and the crew finds themselves on easy street.

"This new story will take place in the 'Firefly' years i.e., everyone's alive," teases Whedon. "Basically, they pull off a heist and everything doesn't go completley wrong. This, needless to say, has never happened and it's about how they deal with sucess."

Those Left Behind boasted variant covers by big-name artists like John Cassaday and Joe Quesada; for Better Days, Whedon tapped Adam Hughes to create a triptych cover that'll create a giant image when the story finishes.

"It's being drawn like a photo of the enitre crew posing together for a picture because they're in a good mood and sitting on piles of money," gushes Whedon. "Adam is so great! I'm not hating life."

You know what that means...

Wash!

Personally I think with the budget Firefly required to bring it to screen it is better suited to comic format. Although I guess it's just not the same as seeing the cast acting it out. They are what bring something special to the characters. We'll just have to face it, Firefly is a cult series. It has only now grown a fair amount of mainstream popularity and like all other things of cult staus it shall only grow more popular with time. And that's what the phrase "still flying" means.

2. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Thanks for the R.Tamm Sessions link, KissMeImARebel. I was just watching a couple episodes last night.

3. Randy1012

Randy1012 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 26, 2007
    Good news about Better Days, I'm looking forward to it. If we can't get anymore Firefly on the screen, comics that are at least co-penned by Joss are better than nothing.

4. Twinky_Stryder

Twinky_Stryder Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2003
    I can't wait for new Serenity comics.

5. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    I'm looking forward to them too. I just finished up with the series as a whole a few days ago and I'm going to try to convince some friends of mine to play the RPG (we're big D&D fans).

6. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    The new firefly comics will definite;y be on my pull list.

7. Kol_Skywalker

Kol_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2006
    On your pull list? Didn't think comics were *that* stimulating. :eek:

8. ceridwen1977

ceridwen1977 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 7, 2005
    I am fed up with my friends none of them want to even watch Firefly :_| Oh well I sit smugly knowing that they are missing out on a fantastic thing and they will have boring shallow lives as a result :p

I was reading that the Monty Python films would not have been made without the great George Harrison! If on a mega-rich celeb could adopt Firefly / Serenity and make some more films :_|

9. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Glad you enjoyed it. ;)

10. DarthButt

DarthButt Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2003
    Well tell them they will be hooked after the first episode, and wonder why they had never seen it sooner. And it's only like 14 or 15 episodes. And it will be the best show they've ever seen.

11. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    I tried this with my wife, made her sit down and watch one whole episode, but she still thinks it's a lame show.

12. ceridwen1977

ceridwen1977 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 7, 2005
    One day I will get them to watch... I confess I had to watch three episodes before I got really really hooked. It was 'War Stories' when I realised I cared so much about Mal and Wash that I wanted to murder Niska despite having no real agressive tendencies before (honest) [face_batting] But yeah its finding that hook I guess.

13. Queen_Pixie

Queen_Pixie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 1999
    If it helps, that's the way my husband feels about most sci-fi/fantasy, including Firefly/Serenity.

14. Ree

Ree Jedi Master star 5

Jan 25, 2005
    Shindig got me hooked .And I only watched it because I heard Joss Whedon made it and of course because Nathan Fillion was in it [face_love]

But do you really want more films if Wash isn't in them??

15. Merlyn_Gabriel

Merlyn_Gabriel Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2005
    oh how my husband and I love this show and the movie. We have the dvds and we've watched it so often we actually sit there and quote the episodes / movie word for word.
    Jayne STILL cracks me up.
    The reevers still scare the %&/$%&$%§§$ out of me.

Fox lost the pooch when they messed this one up. What a fabulous show!

16. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    But the show seems to have more fans now than when it was on. Maybe it being cancelled was actually a decent move?

17. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    Admittedly, I'd have been very unlikely to get into Firefly without Serenity, so I can't be too sad...

18. Queen_Pixie

Queen_Pixie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 1999
    I for one got into Firefly/Serenity after I saw the Serenity DVD on the rental rack. I thought it looked interesting, and tried it out.

2 weeks later, I rented the series, and I was hooked. I own the series now.

19. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    I saw the movie first. It was good. Interesting. I liked the Captain. Then, I got the series set. I really like a lot of the episodes. "Out of Gas" is my favorite.

20. DarthButt

DarthButt Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2003
    By far the best moment is at the end of second episode where Mal offers the two guys the money. The second guy has no problem at all taking it. [face_laugh]

21. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I think I've hooked another friend. My former browncoat apprentice and I have got her pretty engrossed. [face_dancing]

22. Twinky_Stryder

Nov 16, 2003
    Excellent. The cycle continues.

They'll never make us surrender.

23. Twinky_Stryder

Nov 16, 2003
    Who else is using the Mal and Inara icon for Valentines Day?

24. Randy1012

Randy1012 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 26, 2007
    I was going to use that one until I saw this Yoda one. :D

Valentines? Pffft. :p

25. Warrior_Goddess

Warrior_Goddess Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2006
    i love this icon. Firefly is the best show i've ever seen hands down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.