main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Still Flying: Serenity/Firefly

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by JediTrilobite, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Bigger Fish

The Bigger Fish Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2000
    I've seen 3 TV episodes and the film. I really like what I've seen. :)

2. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    TBF you would make a good Jayne.

3. The Bigger Fish

The Bigger Fish Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2000
    He's a little....unstable, isn't he?

Thanks! :p

4. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    Well now that all depends...they sorta left things hanging w/ them in the film. If Inara were to choose a "mortal life" if you will and let go of her position as a companion and join Mal's crew...course I don't see that happening anytime soon though :(

5. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    Inara needs to keep paying rent. It wouldnt make business sense for Mal to not let her continue to be a companion.

And TBF, I was thinking of naming a town after you.

6. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I think that Inara will stay for a bit longer.

7. MariahJSkywalker

MariahJSkywalker Poopoo Head star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2005
    I also too think she'll stick around for a bit, but I just don't think she'll quit being a Companion.

I bought Serenity and was bowled over how good it was. I've been searching high and low for the Firefly DVDs to no aveil. I guess I'll order online.

8. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Really? The store near my house has like ten copies of the series.

9. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    I got mine at Target, also had it at Best Buy... both were $40. You can get it on Amazon for $35 I believe.

10. LittleAlbatross

LittleAlbatross Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 1, 2005
    I love Firefly and Serenity but am oddly satisfied with Serenity being the end (if it is). It's an odd feeling, I'm not sure I like it.

There was enough resolution that I no longer feel the story is incomplete like it was after the series was cancelled. But that's just my opinion, which may be completely different tomorrow.

11. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    Of course my fear would be that any subsequent TV sequels would introduce new cast members to replace the fallen. Unless one of those were Chiwetel Ejiofor (formerly The Operative), I just wouldn't want it.

12. Warrior_of_Mandalore

Warrior_of_Mandalore Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2003
    As much as I love the show and the movie, I would be perfectly content letting Serenity be the end of it. I think it wrapped things up rather nicely. It just wouldn't feel right having the characters go back to the way they were in the series after the events of the movie. It would just spoil the emotional impact of those events.

I say just let it rest as one of the best sci-fi series ever.

Warrior_of_Mandalore Strikes Again!

13. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Before Mal threatened to kill him, I almost thought he was going to invite the Operative to join the crew.

M. Scott

14. RolandofGilead

Jan 17, 2001
    I just watched the movie this weekend and that's the impression I got too. That had there been sequels, he would have turned up again and become a member of his crew. I'd compare him to Jayne, but then again Jayne mighta betrayed the crew a time or two, but never actually killed any of them.

15. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    There won't be a sequel. At least, not the way we may think it.

I watched Serenity again last night on the big screen. I still love every minute of it. Even if the best character in the show may never return (I think my sig answers who that is).

16. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Hummm...with River now taking the helm of the ship, I don't see why they'd necessarily need another crewman. I think that they'd only bring on another crew member if the show was to return to television either as a mini-series or TV series. I doubt Joss would bother trying to introduce a brand new character for a 2 hour movie.

17. Kartanym

May 23, 2002
    Flash back to the episode which explained how each character arrived on the ship. Joss didn't go into too much detail explaining each one, so having an extra crew member on board wouldn't be too difficult to achieve. If anything, having the story of a character trying to fit into the 'family' would be interesting to watch.

I'd like to some more backstory with certain characters, but I'm happy to read them via comic or novel.

18. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    One thing I think that would be really interesting is if Zoe were to find out after Wash's funeral that she was pregnant. Having the Serenity crew become the baby's family would put an interesting twist on the show w/ Zoe trying to figure out how to be a mother and a warrior at the same time.

19. MariahJSkywalker

MariahJSkywalker Poopoo Head star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2005
    Lucky guy. Well I went to Borders had them special deliver a copy to them so I don't have to leave the city to get Firefly.

20. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    [image=http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000BW7QWW.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg]

Am I the only one who thinks the woman on the cover of the DVD isn't the actress who plays River? Almost looks more like Inara dressing up as River (I know it's not really, but still).

21. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    That looks like River from the European Poster for the film. They did a great job of dolling up her makeup in the picture.

22. RolandofGilead

Jan 17, 2001
    I have to admit, when I saw the poster, and the commercials I didn't recognize River at all. The advertisements talked about taking on a "new" passenger who might be more deadly than she seemed. I kept thinking that it sounded like River, but why introduce a "new" character who's about the same?

23. Master-Kenobi

Master-Kenobi Jedi Master star 5

Sep 20, 2002
    they were playing Firefly today on the SciFi...I"m watching the last one right now...I really wanted to see them today...but looks like I will only get to see this one... :(

anyways...I really like the show...I didn't think I would but I do..and serenity was pretty good to :)

24. Darth-Kevin-Thomas

Darth-Kevin-Thomas Jedi Master star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    Is There going to be a Special edition version of the film?

dkt

25. Kartanym

May 23, 2002
    Very doubtful. The DVD currently out is it. Perhaps another DVD release some time down the track with the TV series and movie in one package, but other then that...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.