main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Still Flying: Serenity/Firefly

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by JediTrilobite, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    I wish I could kick ass like River.

2. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Her last fight scene was probably the best one that I've ever seen.

3. Dezdmona

Dezdmona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2005
    http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=17800
    From EMPIRE magazine, January 2006

Serenity And Beyond
    Exclusive: Whedon on Firefly's future

Browncoats around the world cried out in despair when, due to an underwhelming performance at the box office, Joss Whedon announced that the saga of Serenity had ended. No sequels, no follow-ups, no hope. But Whedon isn't a man to let his brain-child die; the man's already resuscitated the franchise once and there's still hope for a third coming.

"A sequel's unlikely," Whedon told Empire with a note of clear regret, "but it's amazing what permutations of something can happen." But if not a theatrical encore, that leaves... yes, you guessed it, a possible return to the smaller screen. "As long as I was able to service the characters with integrity and had enough money so that I wasn't hampered, then I would love to return Serenity to TV. I love that universe; it continues and those characters live on. There could be a series, there could be a miniseries, there could be all sorts of things. I'm not ruling anything out. I'll let it simmer for a while and see if anyone calls."

As for why the film failed to rake in the cash despite uniformly glowing reviews, according to Whedon it's all in the presentation. "It's a question of marketing ultimately. The fact that I like to dance around genres with gay abandon has worked to my disadvantage. Nobody knows exactly how to market anything I do because it usually has so much in it. It has a diffuseness because of it's origin that keeps it from being the easy sell. Some people also said that you can't call an action movie 'Serenity' but I think that's still okay. What was I going to call it? 'Big Smash Bang With Boobies'? Which was, of course my second choice."

DVD sales should, however, put Serenity back in the black and when the bucks start rolling in we can only hope that one of the suits at Universal looks at the numbers, adds the success of the Firefly DVD box set and greenlights a return for Captain Reynolds and his crew. Until that time we advise Whedon to keep his phone switched on.

4. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    What was I going to call it? 'Big Smash Bang With Boobies'? Which was, of course my second choice."

LMAO! Advertising was a big problem w/ Serenity, also the release date was horrific. Any film released in September is doomed to fail in the BO. They would've done better releasing the film either at Thanksgiving or between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Many fans weren't even aware of the release date of the film which is why it did poorly at the BO...which as Joss pointed out, is again the fault of advertising and the studios.

Here's to hoping that we'll get a new series or maybe at least a mini-series on the Sci-Fi Channel to keep Serenity flying!

5. Pumpkin_King

Pumpkin_King Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 27, 2003
    That's shiney! :)

6. Errant_Venture

Feb 21, 2002
    That sucks that there is as of this moment nothing new coming from the 'Verse. But I'm glad that Whedon hasn't given up hope, when he gives up home the 'Verse is truly doomed.

7. Andalite-Bandit

Andalite-Bandit Jedi Padawan star 6

Apr 25, 2005
    I finished watching the complete Firefly series the other week and I have been going through the audio commentaries now.

I have concluded that Firefly is one of my favorite shows, and definetely ranks up with Lost and Battlestar Galactica. I especially like the dialogue in Firefly, it creates a very believable culture for the future. I most especially like how they say the word folk sometimes, because I like to say folk, and it is one of the best words ever!

I am annoyed though that Fox cancelled it, because this show clearly could have had a really neat story arc lasting several seasons. If Fox wasn't so ridiculous it would be like season 4 now! Jeez!

Oh well, hopefully he does get around to doing a miniseries or other tv show or something. Would the Sci Fi channel consider such a notion?

8. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Wrong. There's a bunch of comic and novels coming, at least according to interviews - Serenity the comic did outstanding for Dark Horse, so I'd say that it's a likely option.

9. Errant_Venture

Feb 21, 2002
    I like the book part but I've never been a big fan of comics. I do hope that the books are better written than the Serenity novel which IMO was written for a 8 year old.

10. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    No wonder I enjoyed it so much. Now if only it had included more purty pictures. :)

Speaking of immaturity, did anyone see/pick up the Serenity action figures? I saw them on-line but they just looked too cheap. I would love to see Firefly figures from McFarlene though.

11. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    I saw them at my local comic store... they're stupid.

Jayne Cobb

MERCENARY Jayne Cobb with cigar smoking action...

12. AT-AT_Commander

AT-AT_Commander Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 23, 2001
    Saw serinity last night and was blown away, can't wait to catch the series on DVD. My wife said she wouldn't mind picking up the series either which is a major switch for her on the sci-fi range. She is slowly becomin a bigger sci-fi fan over the yaers.

13. beafet

beafet Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 12, 2001
    Any idea when I can watch the show on TV? I can't find it anywhere, and I don't want to buy the DVD's unless I know I will really like it.

[face_plain]

14. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    Okay, here's what you do. Answer these questions, and your troubles are done.

Did you see Serenity?

Did you like it?

Would you like to see more of things like Serenity?

Why have you not bought the Firefly set yet?

Of course... if your answer is "no" to question 1... then I sound like an idiot.

15. Twinky_Stryder

Twinky_Stryder Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2003

Does he even smoke a cigar in the series or film?

They should make beanies of each character and the Jayne one could play the "Hero of Canton" song when you sqeeze him.

16. MasterCenedra

MasterCenedra Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 3, 2005
    He smokes them in Both, doesnt he? I have only seen the movie three times...
    I love the Movie, that is how I found out about it.
    I brought the DVD Series about two weeks ago and watched it all in 11 hours. I havent seen it since due to all my work mates have been wanting to see it.
    Hopefully I will get it watched again today, before the Screen Actors Guild Awards to day, but if not I might watch it after.

MC

17. Dezdmona

Dezdmona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2005
    Keep checking the Sci-Fi Network. They were showing it on Friday evening at 6p CST, but I don't currently see it listed. :confused: (This has been a pretty standard time for Firefly for awhile.)

Hopefully it will be re-listed soon, they probably just finished a rotation of all the episodes and will start again. They had a Firefly marathon recently, too. Perhaps they will do another one of those. [face_praying]

18. Andalite-Bandit

Apr 25, 2005
    I don't know about watching the movie first. I did do that, and it did get me to get the Firefly DVD set, but the movie is sort of a conclusion. It is like watching the end of the series before the start of it. I think it would be much better to see the series first.

19. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    i saw the movie recently. i liked it. i just wish i saw some episodes of firefly before seeing the movie.

20. Andalite-Bandit

Apr 25, 2005
    I liked the movie when I first saw it, but I liked it a lot more after seeing the Firefly series. You have a greater understanding of the universe it takes place in, and a better connection with the characters.

For example, The first time I saw Serenity when Wash was killed I was like "Ack! Oh no, the pilot guy is dead. Jeez thats no good." After I saw the complete series I was like "Waaaaaaaaaaash noooooooooooooooooooo!!!" So that is why I say, watch the series first!

21. LittleAlbatross

LittleAlbatross Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 1, 2005
    I thought I read somewhere that Firefly was returning to the Sci-fi channel in March (or May? there was an M is there I think...)

And Jayne smoked a cigar in the movie: during the funeral scene.

22. MasterCenedra

MasterCenedra Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 3, 2005
    I must say something:
    Me and my mate are getting Jayne Hats!!!!

He wears the Hat in the Movie, and the series

MC

23. Takianna

Takianna Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2005
    There has been quite a bit of talk of a fan funded show, but right now I know that is only a pipe dream. I really, really love firefly. I didn't get into it at the beginning, but since I've seen Serenity, I love the whole thing.

I saw the firefly figures and they were super cheesie. I wish they would make decent ones. Then there would be yet another thing that I would need to buy. :)

24. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    I've done some custom 12" Barbies as the girls from "Firefly." I still need to do a Kaylee. My Zoe sold, other 2 I still have.

Zoe

[image=http://smicketysmom.bravepages.com/August%20Sept%2005/Reroots2/Zoe2.JPG]

Inara

[image=http://smicketysmom.bravepages.com/August%20Sept%2005/Reroots1/Inarav2%204.JPG]

River

(I need to paint her eyes brown)

[image=http://smicketysmom.bravepages.com/October%2005/Reroots/River2.JPG]

25. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    Well, thanks to Andalite-Bandit's incessent bugging me to go buy it, I have purchased Firefly and Serenity. Per his suggestion, i watched the firefly episodes first, and started this monday.

I watched the first episode, thought "hey this is pretty neat" and kept watching. Last night i finished up the episodes, and tonight i watched serenity.

Firefly is amazing. I love it! It's great. My favorite is Simon, because he is so devoted to people and nice yet can get upset and afraid and overly protective in an instant. I was totally thrilled that he FINALLY said something right to kaylee in serenity.

I thought the episodes War Stories and Objects in Space were probably my favorites, although i need to watch all of them again to be sure. After like episode 4, i was totally hooked. I would ahve finished them faster but i had to sleep and go to classes. Watching serenity after firefly, i was involved right from the start. I seriously freaked out when wash died and i honestly thought simon might die, and i was super scared that would be the case. River was utterly awesome in serenity, and the movie made me like her 10 times as much as i did previously. Amazing stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.