main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Strange Things~ Disney Songfic Roulette Challenge, Atton Rand (KOTOR era)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by MiralukaJedi, May 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MiralukaJedi

MiralukaJedi Jedi Knight star 4

May 15, 2008
    Title: Strange Things
    Genre: Angst, Canon
    Summary: Atton Rand's musings regarding his life and experiences in the Mandalorian Wars, from the time of his enlistment in the Republic military until some Jedi lead by Revan join the war effort.
    Author's Note: This was written rather quickly (I was strangely inspired for some reason with this one) and is my first fic on the Before the Saga boards. My apologies if I offend anyone.

Disclaimer: I own nothing here. The song Strange Things comes from Toy Story.

[i]I was on top of the world
    it was right in my pocket
    I was living the life
    things were just the way they should be
    When from out of the sky like a bomb comes some little punk in a rocket
    now all of a sudden some strange things are happening to me
    [/i]
    Atton Rand remembered the carefree days of being able to fly wherever you wanted to in the galaxy. The feelings of freedom that being able to go where you wanted, when you wanted and not giving a damn about what the trumped up bureaucrats who ran legitimate or otherwise star ports thought.

Yeah, those were the days. The days when anyone could seemingly do anything and the possibilities before your typical spacer were limitless. Days when he could count friends in every space port and just as many contacts.

But then strange things started to happen. Strange alien species from Unknown Space started showing up in those same ports, warning of an impending doom in their stilted, broken Basic. Of course, most ?wise? sentients didn?t believe them and dismissed their tales of doom as mere balderdash. That balderdash though, about the Mandalorians and their crusade, actually turned out to be real.

[i]I had friends,
    I had lots of friends
    Now all my friends are gone
    And I'm doing the best I can to carry on[/i]

Like everyone else in the Republic, he could remember the day they started their invasion of the Republic. Like everyone else, he could also remember the day when they had glassed the Stereb cities of Serrocco along with the rest of the surface and the outrage that he felt along with everyone else.

But for him, the devastation of Serrocco held a deeper sense of outrage and pain. Everything he had in his galaxy except for the clothes on his back and the blaster at his side had been there. His parents, his kid brothers- even his second cousin twice removed who he?d sooner shove out the nearest airlock than have to be in the same room with. Atton Rand the carefree spacer had lost everything.

The next week after the devastation, he signed up for one of the first mustering of volunteers. The Republic was going to war.

[i]I had power (power)
    I was respected (respect)
    But not any more
    And I've lost the love to the one whom I adored[/i]

Oh, that hadn?t worked out quite the way he thought it would at first. In Atton Rand?s mind, he was going to help the Republic win the war and get revenge against the helmet heads at the same time. A win-win situation if ever there was one. It should have been an easy thing, really.

But war never is. And the Republic was losing, badly.

[i]Let me tell you about the strange things are happening to me
    Strange things
    Strange things are happening to me...
    Ain't no doubt about it[/i]

Then even stranger things happened. The Jedi refused to even fight on behalf of the Republic, the government they were sworn to protect and defend. They didn?t feel this was their fight and that something else was pushing the Mandalorians to fight. Something unseen in the deep, dark shadows of the galaxy.

Just some damned excuse to avoid what needed to be done, were the whispers that spread through the fleet. Jedi weren?t encouraged to have families or attachments of any sort, so they probably wouldn?t ever possibly sympathise with those like Atton who had lost everything and continued to lose everything as they fought against the helmet heads. Blast them all to hell.

There were claims that they were afraid of some of their number turning to the dark side. That was a lot of hooey too. All just to avoid going and doing their duty.

Yes, these wer

2. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    That was very poignant.

Atton Rand the carefree spacer had lost everything.

I really liked seeing the events through Atton's eyes. You did a nice job capturing his character.

Great response to the challenge

=D= =D= =D= =D=

3. MiralukaJedi

May 15, 2008
    Thanks. I've never tried anything with the KOTOR era or characters before. Glad you like the perspective and characterisation.

4. SoA

SoA Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 2, 2008
    Nice work with Atton's past and motivations. I wouldn't have known it was your first jump into this era if you hadn't said so. The song really fit with the story nicely.

5. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Atton Rand the carefree spacer had lost everything.

:_| Beautifully done! =D=

6. MiralukaJedi

May 15, 2008
    Thanks. Glad to know that I've managed to do well here.

7. MiralukaJedi

May 15, 2008
    Thank You.

8. MiralukaJedi

May 15, 2008
    Just upping for the sake of upping here.

9. MiralukaJedi

May 15, 2008
    Thanks for the nom for this songfic for this year's Before the Saga Fanfic Awards. Definitely very humbled and really honoured too. [face_blush]. And it qualified, even more amazing! A big thanks to everyone out there!

10. MiralukaJedi

May 15, 2008
    Edit: Damn! Double post! Sorry about that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.