main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Stranger in a Strange Land - Part 7 - Our Time Has Come - UPDATE 5/2 - Chapter 16

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Whiskey in the Jar-Jar, Dec 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rokangus

Rokangus Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 18, 2000
    SURGE!!!

2. Grand_Admiral_Jaxx

Grand_Admiral_Jaxx Jedi Master star 5

Dec 23, 2000
    Congrats on getting 50 quickly! :)

3. Whiskey in the Jar-Jar

Whiskey in the Jar-Jar Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 17, 2000
    WOW! 50 posts so soon! I think that's a personal record. Thanks a lot everyone :D :D :D

Casper: The galaxy's a big place...even something that large can get overlooked in the chaos over the past half-century...especially if the Emperor was keeping it a secret from almost everyone in the Empire.

Rok: LOL! I actually never made that connection about the statement and the data crystal. Good one. And yep, the Imps (Kinda like the Americans and Russians of the Cold War era) knew how to make the term 'Like big ginormous fraggin' guns' a reality. ;)

Jaxx: What if no one has it and it's overrun by evil fuzzy SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCE FUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRBIIIIIIIIEEEEEEESSS :eek:

Wouldn't that just suck? :p

Good to hear that TOTF will have a home soon. It's too good a story to simply let fall to the bottom of the thread lists here once it's completed.

Mouse: It may not even exist, who knows ;) Glad to see you back too, BTW. Looks like DRL's taking a lot out of most of us.

Hokay, here's a bit more.

----------------------------------------------

Prometheus?

The moment the other rogue talents heard that name they all realized what this meant to Ryn. The confirmation of this massive ship?s existence, as well as its location, was the sole responsibility of Pern Maklin for many years after the Empire?s crushing defeat at the hands of the Rebellion.

It had taken close to twenty years for Pern and his wife to gather up shards of evidence in the form of partial documents, drunken hearsay, and confessions from Imperial agents. Amazingly, it all coalesced into a roughly-hewn map, leaping from one system to another towards Wild Space, where even the Emperor travelled with some trepidation. The Maklins had been close to confirming the rumours about the Prometheus when they made their one fatal mistake:

They went to their superiors.

Ryn was still a baby and in the neo-natal wing of Coruscant General when they came. Amidst the chaos of the Yuuzhan Vong invasion, the Bothan spynet decided to claim the Prometheus as its own and use it as a rallying point for the Republic Fleet. However, no one could know that the Republic?s best intelligence group was involved in the acquisition of the ship, as it would only spell disaster afterwards in terms of treaty violations. So, a commando unit from the spynet was sent to retrieve the plans and make it look like a botched robbery?

One that ended in Ryn?s parents? deaths.

Pern?s brother, Raask, adopted Ryn and made sure his identity was kept from the spynet. The commandos failed in their quest for the data, for it had been all but destroyed save for one backup?one that no one knew about except Raask Maklin. It was Pern?s legacy for his son to be revealed to him at the proper age.

Unfortunately, the ?proper age? turned out to be eight years for young Ryn. He stumbled across Pern?s legacy and, after realizing that he was a target, left Raask?s care and never looked back. He later learned that Raask had been apprehended for ?political dissidence? and was either rotting on some penal colony, or dead by now.

Ryn?s only sanctuary now, it seemed, were the Jedi.

?Even after what you said about it,? said Shon, ?I still thought she was a myth.?

?A third Eclipse?? asked Leia, astonished. ?How could we have missed it??

?This ship was unlike the others,? said Ryn. ?Bigger, more powerful, and with its hyperdrive it could wipe out a dozen systems before afternoon tea. Next to the Death Star, it was the ultimate Dark Side fuel generator.?

Ryn looked down at the crystal, glowing softly in its port on the console. ?It was to be some kind of mobile planetary enforcer. Faster than the Death Star and a lot more fearsome.?

?But he died before it was ever completed,? said Leia, to whom Ryn nodded. ?So for half a century, she?s been drifting in Wild Space like a derelict. I?m amazed no one?s tried to pick her up.?

?Only three maps were ever made to pinpoint its location,? said Ryn,

4. Whiskey in the Jar-Jar

Apr 17, 2000
    COCK-A-DOODLE-DOOOOOOOOOOO!

Morning UP!

5. mouse2

mouse2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 1999
    Whoo-Hoo! Road trip! :D [face_devil]

I do like that although all the Rogues are bonded padawans they still keep their individuality and back each other up when they know it's the right thing to do.

Personally I loved Shon's comment! ;)

Yep I must say that DRL has been getting me. Having to get up and get the little one to schoo is more like it. But I'm starting to get back into my routine now! :)

6. Casper_Knightshade

Casper_Knightshade Force Ghost star 6

Oct 18, 2000
    Forgiven, Whiskey: all objects of power should be prrrreeccccciousssssss to the ones who wish to have it. ;)

Oh boy, let me guess; Shon's kin know where it is. That's not good if so. Not good for the universe at all. :eek:

7. Grand_Admiral_Jaxx

Dec 23, 2000
    Prometheus... I like it. It's a fitting name for a gargantuan ship this size. Somebody's gonna be in a whole lotta trouble no matter who gets it... be it the good guys or the bad.

As the old sayings go...

"Absolute power corrupts absolutely" and "The road to hell is paved with good intentions"

The Rogues are right. It needs to be destroyed.

8. Rokangus

Oct 18, 2000
    Actually, I can think of one faction who wouldn't mind destroying it. So long as they are still the fanatical devotees they've always been. ;) (If that didn't give it away...)

And LOL on the precious comment! Yes, with great power comes great temptation! Sweet post there Whiskey, can't wait for the coffee, tea, and coral! ;)

9. Grand_Admiral_Jaxx

Dec 23, 2000
    Rokangus- very true. But what if they could do a Zerg-like thing to it and convert it for their own cause?

10. Grand_Admiral_Jaxx

Dec 23, 2000
  11. Casper_Knightshade

Oct 18, 2000
  12. Rokangus

Oct 18, 2000
  13. Casper_Knightshade

Oct 18, 2000
    That poor, poor dog; mean old man ripping it's tongue out like that. ;)

14. Whiskey in the Jar-Jar

Apr 17, 2000
    Ok, what's scary about that comment is the little episode I had with my housing co-op board yesterday concerning a dog.

You been talking to Jaxx again? :?

15. Casper_Knightshade

Oct 18, 2000
    Oh, I'm talking about the Mascot Incident in Calgary the other night. ;)

16. Grand_Admiral_Jaxx

Dec 23, 2000
    what happened?

17. Whiskey in the Jar-Jar

Apr 17, 2000
    I just caught the article last night, Casper. Unreal, eh? Our Flames Mascot, Harvey the Hound, gets his tongue ripped out by the Oilers coach, Craig MacTavish, and then gets reprimanded for harassing the Oilers like that in the first place.

IMHO, The only reason he was reprimanded was because the Oilers nearly took away the Flames lead, turning a 4-0 game into a 4-3 game.

Y'know, I thought it was the mascot's job to make the crowd laugh with his/her/its antics. I wish I'd have had the $100.00 to go see that game just so I could whip my popcorn at MacTavish later for being such a poor sport.

As for what I was thinking about earlier WRT a dog, I just helped save one from being put down because it violated my housing co-op's 18" height restriction. Thanks to some written testimonies from the dog's vet, groomer, and kenneller, the dog was deemed proper in temperment and can stay with his owner. I got into a bit of hot water over this because I overrode every rule in the housing co-op's policy manual to get the dog here, citing animal abuse. But in the end, it all turned out right. :D

Post coming this weekend :D

18. Casper_Knightshade

Oct 18, 2000
    Hey, good for you on saving the dog. Cripes, a dog can't be even 18" tall these days. Ah oh, I wonder: if you have a wiener dog, is there a 18" length rule? [face_laugh]

I'll tell ya, Craig MacTavish wasn't just an enforcer in his playing days in the NHL he was an official "Bad Guy" much like Dale Hunter (THE Bad Guy with more 10 game plus suspensions than anyone) was for Washington and Probert was when he played in Detroit. It don't surprise me one bit; MacTavish is the same guy who ADMITTED several times that he intentially checked the referees and linesmen; he put one linemen in the hospital in '86. :eek:

Like I said, a real Bad Guy.

FORWARD!

19. Whiskey in the Jar-Jar

Apr 17, 2000
    Actually, Casper, given the meathead who dreamed up that height rule just may have included a length clause. :p

The letter of the policy states that given the yard sizes in this place, a dog over 18" tall would be far too confined and it could be construed as abuse.

I dunno...IMHO I think the temperment of the dog needs to be considered as well as its size. There's a Border Collie a couple doors down from me that is short but DAMNED noisy. Of course, his owners don't walk him much, since they both kinda resemble two of Jabba's offspring ;)

20. Grand_Admiral_Jaxx

Dec 23, 2000
    that's... lovely, Whiskey. Offspring of Jabba? That's nice... *nods*

:p

And don't some hockey players just SUCK!

21. Whiskey in the Jar-Jar

Apr 17, 2000
    Ok...here we go with some more.

I'll only preface this by saying I probably re-wrote it about 10 times, and the parts I don't post are still under revision. I guess I just wanted it to work properly.

Well...here goes...

----------------------------------------------

Chapter 3 ? Coffee , Tea, and Coral

Imperial Star Destroyer Chimaera

Had it all been a dream?

Dalan Kalamar stood on the observation deck of the Imperial Class Star Destroyer Chimaera, still under command of the now-retired Grand Admiral Gilad Pellaeon. His eyes were fixed on no point in particular as he gazed longingly out into the depths of space.

He?d been en route to this meeting for several days aboard his new ship, the YT-2000 Freighter Tiger?s Paw, named after his Clan. She was a fast ship for a freighter, though nowhere nearly as tricked out as Han Solo?s YT-1300 Millennium Falcon, but that could change over time.

The ship had been a gift from the people of Naboo as a thank-you for all the tiger had done for the small planet over the past near-decade. Rumours abounded about the ship?s origin, from a supposed pay deduction from all government workers to a major trade negotiation, but the day she was presented to Dalan and his adopted daughter, Triel Davenport, questions as to how the ship came into Nubian hands was all but forgotten.

It could not have come at a better time, either. About six months after he received the ship he received an invitation from the Imperial High Command, requesting the honour of his presence aboard the Chimaera for an official farewell dinner and celebration for Grand Admiral Pellaeon, who was planning to point his ship in the direction of the unknown.

The invitation had gone out to many people in the Republic, both in civilian and military circles. Very few showed up, though, save one or two who came strictly for the purpose of spiting President Fey?lya. Dalan only recognized one of them, though, and that was Wedge Antilles. They had spoken for a bit upon first meeting aboard the Chimaera, Wedge was now a private arms consultant, using his starfighter knowledge to help improve existing models rather than reinvent the repulsorlift, as it were.

One of Wedge?s concepts was to outfit the X-Wing fighter with some kind of weapon specifically designed to fight the Yuuzhan Vong, which were still a threat to galactic peace. Yorik Coral was a tough hide to pierce with laser fire so Wedge had thought of integrating a type of projectile weapon into the ship?s design. Intrigued, Dalan had promised Wedge to help him out with this idea after this little party. His experience with real weaponry would come in handy, he thought.

Wedge had gone off to refill his drink, leaving the tiger alone. Most of the Imperial officers around him made very little moves towards him. He figured his being a non-human had a lot to do with that. They tolerated him well enough, nodding politely or introducing themselves to him, but the old prejudices were still more than prevalent in their collective demeanour. Dalan couldn?t fault them for that; after so many years of dogma and culture bred into these people they could no more help their xenophobia than he could pass himself off as a human.

This left the tiger a fair bit of time to stare and think about the week-long journey here. It had been largely uneventful, but restless for the tiger. Every time he had tried to close his eyes and get some sleep, his mind would come alive with dreams?violent, horrible dreams of war and death. The first night, he simply chalked it up to the atrocious cots that came with the Tiger?s Paw, but as the days wore on and the dreams continued to haunt him, he knew that it was something more.

It was hard to describe the dreams, save for a simple feeling of utter foreboding, as if something tragic was about to happen. He could remember no real images, except for an inky shadow, moving over the surface of a sun, eclipsing it the way a drop of ink eventual

22. Grand_Admiral_Jaxx

Dec 23, 2000
    Very sweet. Such a lovely post!

These are the sort of posts that make me like to read your stories. It's more real this way :)

Good job, Whiskey!

23. Casper_Knightshade

Oct 18, 2000
    Ditto.

Well, well, well; the student takes the teacher's daughter out on a stroll perhaps? This may be very funny. ;)

24. mouse2

mouse2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 1999
    Hmmm... Methinks that Dalan is going to be keeping a sharper eye on Shon from now on. ;)

A fabulous post Whiskey. I love reading about Dalan and Whisper in more family oriented ways. :D

25. Grand_Admiral_Jaxx

Dec 23, 2000
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.