main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Story [Stranger Things] Lunch Break - First Draft/Springtime Meadow challenge response

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by amidalachick, Mar 21, 2021.

1. amidalachick

amidalachick Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 3, 2003
    Title: Lunch Break
    Characters: Steve/Billy (or maybe more accurately in this ficlet: Steve/Billy/the sun...OT3! [face_love][face_laugh])
    Genre: Utterly pointless self-indulgent fluffy trash
    Notes: The usual ridiculously mushy, wildly OOC, happy post-S3 AU because real life is depressing and draining and I just want to see somebody get to be happy, even if it's only fictional characters in a completely fictional relationship.

This was inspired by the lovely prompt "Daydream Reverie" from WarmNyota_SweetAyesha's gorgeous Springtime Meadow of Wildflowers & Berries challenge. This popped into my head as soon as I saw the prompt, and I managed to get a draft down before my writing completely stalled out.

Today I was finally, finally able to finish it and edit it into something (hopefully) presentable. Since it's just a little ficlet I've decided to post both the original draft and the finished draft here as part of my First Draft Challenge as well.

Also I don't like the title but there weren't any song lyrics that came to mind so I just slapped it on there and tried not to care. :p

And somehow these notes ended up being almost as long as the actual fic.

Anyway. Thanks so much for reading and I hope you enjoy! :)

Lunch Break (unedited original draft)

Outside cars drove by, people chattered and laughed and walked the streets of Hawkins unaware of all the secrets that lurked in their town.

In the back alley behind the Family Video plaza, there's a secret that's not monsters and pain and suffering.

Billy casually wandered into the store, just happened to show up just before Steve's lunch break, and Steve called out to Robin that he was going on break.

They slip out to the alley, to their little spot, and share lunch and bask in the sun. They lean back against the warm bricks and talk about nothing, and Steve dreams about California, about the future, about how someday he'll have the house and the white picket fence and someone to share his life with after all.

When it's time to go back he pushes off the wall, straightens up, and leans in. One hand rests next to Billy's head, the other takes his hand.

Steve doesn't kiss him right away, takes a moment just to look, to bask in what they share now.

"Hey, pretty boy," Billy says, "thought you had to go back to work."

"Soon," Steve says. His thumb traces over Billy's hand. When their lips finally meet, it's gentle, soft. All the things they never thought they could have.

Steve draws back, opens his eyes, smiles.

"See you tonight?" Billy asks.

"Yeah," Steve says.

One more kiss, and they reluctantly let go because Steve knows Robin will come looking before too much longer. He still owes her for covering for him one day last week, when they ended up taking much longer than they thought.

Billy goes the long way around, back out front to the world of cars and people and secrets. Steve cuts through the back room and settles in to spend the afternoon dreaming about the night and the future to come.

2. amidalachick

amidalachick Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 3, 2003
    Notes: This is draft #6, if anyone was wondering. :p

Lunch Break (completed version)

There's a spot in the alley behind the Family Video plaza where the May sun shines just right at this time of day. Billy's already waiting, the two old milk crates pulled so close together that Steve's knees press against Billy's when he sits down.

They talk about nothing while they share peanut butter sandwiches and an orange and Mrs. Henderson's chocolate chip cookies. There's a buzz in the air, the anticipation of summer mingled with the lazy contentment of being together.

"You're gonna be late, pretty boy," Billy says eventually, nudging Steve's knee.

Neither of them make a move to get up.

Steve returns Billy's flirty grin and reaches for his hand, his thumb tracing the hope of a house and a white picket fence and a future over the rough skin.

"I've got a few minutes still," he says.

When their lips meet, it's soft, gentle. All the things they thought they could never have, or be.

They break the kiss, only to touch foreheads and nuzzle noses, basking in the sun and each other.

"See you tonight?" Billy says.

"Yeah." Steve leans in for one more sun-warm kiss to get him through the afternoon. "I can't wait."