main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Stranger Things] Roll Down The Window And Let The Wind Blow (oneshot, AU, OTP Challenge #17)

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by amidalachick, Oct 20, 2020.

1. amidalachick

amidalachick Force Ghost star 5

Aug 3, 2003
    Title: Roll Down The Window And Let The Wind Blow
    Characters: Steve/Billy
    Genre: Soft fluffy fluff [face_love]
    Notes: Written for the OTP Challenge #17: Our Song and the prompt "Kidnapping" from an offsite challenge. I've made some minor edits here to keep it board-friendly. Thank you to @Findswoman for allowing me to post this as an OTP challenge entry! :)

The song I used is Thunder Road by Bruce Springsteen, and that's where the title is taken from as well. I've wanted to do something with this song and this ship for a while, so I was excited that it ended up working for both the prompt and the OTP challenge! This was the most fun I've had writing in a long time and I really hope it lasts.

Finally, this is a happy fluffy post-Season 2 AU where these two boys get all the love and happiness they deserve and Season 3 doesn't exist at all (except for Steve and Robin becoming friends, and Max and El too [face_love]). I have spoken. [face_batting][face_laugh]

Thank you so much for reading, and I hope you enjoy! [:D]

Roll Down The Window And Let The Wind Blow

The parking lot is almost empty as Steve walks slowly to his car, keys dangling from his fingers.

Most students had rushed outside as soon as classes finished or even before, intoxicated by sunshine and the first hints of summer after Hawkins' dull winter days.

But Steve lingered after practice. He took his time getting dressed and fussed with his hair until the coach practically threw him and the other two stragglers out of the locker room. He's got nothing to do except homework that he figures is useless at this point, and he's not in a hurry to go home to another lecture.

He's just reached his car when he hears quick footsteps. A second later someone presses against him.

"This is a kidnapping," Billy says, voice low and sultry in his ear.

Steve smiles and leans back into Billy's warm embrace.

"Oh, really?" he says. "Should I be afraid?"

Billy kisses his earlobe and hugs him tighter, as if they hadn't just seen each other at practice. As if he never wants to let go. "Absolutely. I'm gonna drag you off somewhere all alone. Somewhere no one will ever find us."

Steve turns his head, lips grazing against Billy's. "And what are you gonna do with me?"

"Whatever you want," Billy says.

Steve's smile widens and he twists around to kiss Billy properly.

They both get into the Camaro and head away from Hawkins, windows rolled down and music turned up. They end up parked near a railroad crossing on a deserted back road, a breeze blowing through the lowered windows and nothing in sight but empty fields.

They take their time, and after, Steve reaches for Billy's hand.

"This was fun, babe," he says. "You should kidnap me more often. Take me away for good."

Billy's lips part, then he swallows hard and drops his gaze.

Steve frowns. "What? What's wrong? Did I do something?"

"No!" Billy says. "No. I just - I didn't want to say anything yet. But a friend back home offered me a summer job. Lifeguarding at the beach."

"Oh." Steve puts on his brightest smile. "That's great, Billy. Really great. When are you - " He pauses to clear his throat. "When are you leaving?"

"Steve." Billy squeezes Steve's hand. "I haven't said yes yet."

"Why not?" Steve asks. "It's perfect for you."

"Because I just found out," Billy says. A shy smile crosses his face. "And because I want you to come with me."

Steve's mouth falls open slightly and he blinks. "What?"

"I want you to come with me," Billy repeats, speaking quicker now. "If you want to. You can stay with me. You'll have no trouble finding a job. I'll teach you to surf, show you all my favorite places...what do you say?"

Steve can't speak. All he can think is what it means to spend the summer with Billy in California. What it means that Billy wants him to.

He meets Billy's hopeful gaze and takes a deep breath.

"Yeah," he says. "Yeah, I want to. But - " A grin tugs at his lips. "I thought I already knew all your favorite places."

Billy stares, wide-eyed, before his mouth starts to twitch and then he's laughing outright. Steve manages to keep his composure for a few more seconds before he bursts into laughter too.

They're still laughing when Billy lunges across the center console to wrap Steve in a crushing hug. Steve hugs back just as tight.

They're still laughing when their lips meet in a tender kiss.

Steve's so happy he feels like he'll be laughing all summer.

Kahara, Mira_Jade and Findswoman like this.
  2. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Oh, that was very nice! Now, I know zilch about the characters or the fandom, but this is definitely not a bad way to be kidnapped! ;) After reading this I'm all for these two going off and having a nice summer together by the beach--I am 100% sure they'll both be laughing all summer! :) And great choice of song to describe the start of their journey, too! Thanks so much for sharing this with us and with the challenge. =D=

Kahara and amidalachick like this.
  3. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Aw, beautiful! Honestly, that says it all right there - and in such lovely defiance to canon, at that. Perfect!

[face_love] =D=

4. amidalachick

Aug 3, 2003
    @Findswoman Thank you for reading even without knowing the fandom (although this really has nothing to do with the actual show; it's about as far from canon as you can get :p)! I'm glad you enjoyed, and I was so excited to be able to use "Thunder Road" for this, because the whole open-road, small-town-escape theme fits this ship so perfectly. [face_love] Thank you again for running this challenge, and thank you so much for reading and for your kind comments! [:D]

@Mira_Jade Thank you so much for reading and for your lovely comments! [face_love] It means a lot to me, as always. [:D]

Thank you both again!

Kahara, Mira_Jade and Findswoman like this.
  5. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    That was nice, don't know anything about Stranger Things but it was still an enjoyable read.

6. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    I was grinning by the end of that. Even though I'm reading completely fandom-blind, I could see the relationship between the two characters and their banter was really lovely. Great work.

7. amidalachick

Aug 3, 2003
    @Anedon Thank you so much for reading and for your lovely comment! I'm so happy you enjoyed this even without knowing the show! [:D]

@Kit' Aww, your comments made me grin! [face_love] There's nothing canon here at all (except for these two having amazing chemistry LOL) but I love these characters and just want them to be happy, and I'm so glad their relationship came across to you. Thank you so much for reading! [:D]

Again, thank you both so much! Your readership and kind words really do mean a lot to me, more than I can put into words. Thank you! [:D]

Kahara and Kit' like this.