main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Story [Stranger Things] Something Happening Somewhere - drabbles/ficlets

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by amidalachick, Dec 2, 2018.

1. amidalachick

amidalachick Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 3, 2003
    @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Working with the public is never boring, that's for sure! [face_hypnotized][face_laugh] And having a Robin to cry-laugh about the crazy with definitely helps. :D Thank you so much for reading!

@earlybird-obi-wan Absolutely! Having good coworkers to laugh with is the best. :D Thanks so much for reading!

Title: Letter To You
    Characters: Max, Billy
    Notes: This ficlet is inspired by, and the title is taken from, Bruce Springsteen's new songs Ghosts and Letter To You. Please give them both a listen because they are AMAZING and I just love them and him and the band SO MUCH. [face_love]

I heard "Letter To You" a couple weeks ago and I liked it, and then I heard "Ghosts" yesterday and it was just...so powerful. I felt "the blood shiver in my bones".

The idea for this popped into my head on the second listen, I think. I finally got it written down and wanted to get it posted before I talked myself out of it.

I hope it leaves your "spirit filled with light" or at least makes you smile a bit. Thank you for reading, and I hope you enjoy! [:D]

Letter To You

Sometimes the smallest things hit her the hardest.

A joke that no one else gets. A memory that no one else shares. A whiff of cologne, hairspray, cigarettes.

Today it was a song.

They'd never been big on hugs, always found it easier to share insults than I love you's.

But hearing that familiar riff and the lyrics she learned simply from hearing them so many times left her yearning to hug him and tell him how glad she is that he's her brother.

She can't do that when he's not there.

Instead she takes a worn notebook from its hiding spot and turns to the first blank page.

She picks up her pen and starts telling him about her day.

The letter's waiting on the kitchen table.

It's two pages of random gossip and sarcasm in Max's messy handwriting. He can almost hear her chattering away as he reads.

She closes by saying she misses him.

He misses her, too. They usually talk on the phone once a week, but sometimes it's hard to speak the words they want to say. And it's not the same as being face to face, when it's easy to express affection through teasing and sharing whatever random thoughts come into their heads.

He can't wait to see her again. To hug her so hard he lifts her feet off the ground. To let her know how glad he is that she's his sister.

For now he gets a pen and paper and begins to write.

Mira_Jade likes this.
  2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Game Host star 7 VIP - Game Host

Aug 31, 2004
    @amidalachick I have no words to express how deep into my heart and soul this reaches!!! Thank you for sharing this lovely so real slice of life. [:D] [:D]

amidalachick likes this.
  3. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Force Ghost star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    love the songs and your words are fabulous

amidalachick likes this.
  4. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The Fanfic Manager With The Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Oh but this is just BEAUTIFUL! Canon, what canon? This is totally what happened instead. :p

I went to quote specific bits and pieces, but this is such a well rounded, beautiful piece of writing from start to finish that I just have to give an all encompassing: well done. Max and Billy really are show over tell people - and they each cover a lot of feelings with sarcasm, at that :p - but it's beautiful that they can still say I love you and I miss you in a letter. Gorgeous; just gorgeous. [face_love] (As are those songs, BTW! Thank you for the recommendation - especially for Ghosts. Wow!)

Yep: happy smile most certainly achieved! =D= [face_love]

5. amidalachick

amidalachick Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 3, 2003
    @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha That honestly made me tear up. This ficlet came from a very personal place, and I can't tell you how much it means to know it touched you so deeply. Thank you always for reading and for your support. [:D][:D]

@earlybird-obi-wan Thank you so much for your sweet comment! [:D] And I'm so glad you like the songs too!

@Mira_Jade Thank you so, so much! [face_love] This was a very personal piece, and it makes me so happy to know it made you smile. And I'm even happier that you like the songs (the whole album is awesome, but Ghosts is just a whole other level. I just love it SO MUCH). Thank you again for reading and your lovely comments! [:D]

Again, thank you all so much for reading and for your comments. I can't even tell you what it means to me. Thank you. [face_love][:D]