main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Stranger Things] Through These Tangled Threads of Light - UDC X

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by amidalachick, Aug 12, 2022.

1. amidalachick

amidalachick Force Ghost star 5

Aug 3, 2003
    @earlybird-obi-wan Thank you so much for reading and for your lovely comments. [face_love][:D]

@UltramassiveUbersue

I love that sort of misdirection. :D There's a scene in Hot Shots! Part Deux, where Michelle and Ramada are talking about "experimenting" when they were college roommates, that does it brilliantly. Their conversation gets rather steamy, then the punchline is that they were discussing bungee jumping. [face_laugh]

Thank you for reading and for your comments! [:D]

Week 17

Characters: 81, 82. Mike/El; 83, 85; Steve/Billy; 84. Robin/Heather
    Notes: This was another tricky set! As usual these are all just dumb fluffy AUs and there's nothing canon (except a brief reference to El's background in #81). Concrit always welcome!

#81, "Amber", was inspired by Heart of Stone from SIX The Musical (this recording is sung by Natalie Paris).

For #84, "Scarlet", I finally wrote a ship I've been wanting to write for almost two years, I think. Robin deserves an awesome girlfriend (hopefully canon will get that right, at least!) and Heather deserves better than getting turned into monster goo so here we are. And the double-dates with Steve and Billy would be so sarcastic and snarky (and also a fire hazard, with all the hairspray [face_laugh]), it would be amazing. :p

For #85, "Obsidian", I googled how obsidian crystals are used. This site was particularly helpful. Any mistakes are, of course, mine.

If you choose to read, thank you and I hope you enjoy!

81. Amber

El runs her hand along the crib rail.

Seeing the empty crib with its cheerful animal mobile hanging above it reminds her of another empty crib and a nursery awaiting a baby who didn't arrive.

The room, as unchanging and fixed in time as her mother's memories, was a testament to Terri's faith that she was alive. That, one day, she would come home.

She hopes she can be as strong and devoted.

"El? You okay?"

At the sound of Mike's voice the baby kicks. El moves her hand to her belly as she turns to smile at him.

"Yes."

82. Verdant

"Hi."

Her eyes light up when she sees him. "Hi."

He feigns confusion. "I was just wondering, could you recommend something for someone special?"

She sets down the spool of pink ribbon she's holding. "Someone special?"

She's clearly puzzled.

"Yeah," he says, and takes a step towards her. "Someone really pretty and smart and funny. I think she likes flowers."

He looks around her flower shop and grins.

She gets it, then. She cuts some ribbon and, twirling it around her finger, comes out from behind the counter. She returns his grin.

"I think I can help you find something."

83. Cerulean

Steve never knew that the sky could be so blue.

It wasn't something he'd ever thought about. In Indiana the sky was just there, and the only time he paid attention to its color was in summer if a storm came up and tornadoes were possible.

But out here it was a rich, brilliant blue. Reflecting in the sun-sparkled ocean, it seemed to contain all the promises and possibilities California held.

He noticed the same shade of blue in Billy's eyes while they made love.

Holding each other after, lazy and content, they drifted to sleep on promises and possibilities.

84. Scarlet

Heather's dress is almost the same shade of red as her lifeguard swimsuit. She looks good in scarlet and she knows it.

She and Billy sweep into the gym like they've already been crowned prom king and queen. Like they own Hawkins High.

Watching them, Robin's almost jealous.

They go back to Steve's house for their own party.

They all drink and dance in the living room until Heather takes Robin's hand and leads her upstairs.

In the guest bedroom she sets her tiara on Robin's head.

She looks good in scarlet, and she looks even better out of it.

85. Obsidian

Steve and Billy spend a rare weekend day off together strolling hand in hand through a crowded farmers' market.

They stop at a stall selling crystals and jewelry. Billy's surprised when Steve fingers a bracelet made of leather and shiny black beads. Steve doesn't wear much jewelry, not like him.

The woman running the stall tells them it's obsidian, for protection and good luck, and urges Steve to try it on.

Steve reluctantly says he's just looking.

They continue on, but before they leave, Billy claims he has to use the restroom.

He surprises Steve with the bracelet at dinner.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2022
  2. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    all are sweet and lovely scenes. Great use of the prompts

amidalachick likes this.
  3. UltramassiveUbersue

UltramassiveUbersue Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2022
    Lovely updates! Lol at the double date hairspray fire hazard!

Future El and Mike are so sweet. El is such a lovely, compassionate person.

Robin does deserve a great girlfriend!

Steve's the cool guy for a reason: most inclusive/generally awesome party house. :D

Steve and Billy are so sweet to each other, I love it. :)

4. amidalachick

Aug 3, 2003
    @earlybird-obi-wan & @UltramassiveUbersue thank you for reading and for your comments. As always, please don't feel obligated to continue!

Week 18

Characters:
    86, 90. Steve/Billy; 87. Steve & Robin; 88. Robin/OC; 89. Steve & his mom
    Notes: The usual, these are a mix of headcanons/fic ideas I'll never write and stupid OOC AU fluff. I'm torn between not liking the things I come up with and not wanting to post them, and wanting to finish this challenge. Since I am so close to the end, I do want to try to push through and finish.

The song referenced in #86, "Might", is Miracles by Jefferson Starship. It's been on my OTP playlist for a while, and it's a gorgeous song in its own right. To quote a different unrelated song, "they don't write 'em like that anymore". So please give it a listen and enjoy! [face_love]

And if you choose to read this drivel, thank you.

86. Might

Steve and Billy lay on a blanket, a six-pack next to them as they gaze up at the stars. The early summer air is warm enough to be comfortable without the oppressive humidity of July and August.

The radio plays softly, poppy ballads and love songs that Billy would normally scoff at.

He turns his head to see Steve watching him, smiling.

"What?"

"Nothing," Steve says, and his smile widens before he leans over.

His kiss is as warm and soft as the evening.

If only you believe in miracles, baby drifts through the air, and Billy thinks he might.

87. Paralyze

Robin looks across the coffeehouse, again. The girl she's been sneaking glances at is still sitting alone, and her denim jacket has a rainbow patch that matches the flag hanging in the window. She reminds herself this isn't Hawkins and the worst that might happen is she'll embarrass herself.

It's not enough to make her go over.

Steve nudges her shoulder. "Come on, Rob. Just say hi."

She regrets every single time she made fun of him for having trouble getting a date.

She drops her head into her hands.

"Robin?"

"I can't." She lifts her head. "Let's go home."

88. Aspire

Robin relaxed as she, Steve, and Billy settled into a booth at one of their favorite restaurants, laughing and chatting until the waitress came over.

"Hi, I'm Mona. I'll be looking after you tonight."

Mona was the girl from the coffeehouse.

Robin stood by the empty table, fidgeting with the zipper on her coat.

"I've, uh, seen you at the coffeehouse before," she said. "I was wondering if you'd like to grab a coffee sometime?" Before Mona could answer, she added, "Sorry, I know this is a little weird."

Mona smiled. "No, it's cool. And, yeah. Sure, I'd like to."

89. Thwart

Steve is surprised, and not entirely pleased, by his mom's announcement that her spa weekend with friends was cancelled.

"Would you like to do something?" she asks. "Your father won't be home until Tuesday, but we could go up to Indianapolis. Do some shopping, go for dinner..."

"Maybe," Steve says. "I'm working Saturday."

He slips upstairs to make a call.

He doesn't mind spending time with her, especially without his dad. Even when she's home she's usually too busy to do much with him.

But he's already made plans for the weekend. Plans involving his boyfriend and an empty house.

90. Measure

"Okay, we need three cups of flour." Steve points to the proper measuring cup. "The big one there."

Billy helps Orli fill and level the cup. They carefully pour it in the bowl, then he whispers something in her ear. She giggles, takes a pinch of spilled flour, and sprinkles it on Steve's shirt.

"Hey, no fair!"

Steve brushes his shirt off and, smirking, wipes his floury fingers on Billy's sleeve.

By the time the batter is mixed up the counter is a mess and they all have flour in their hair and on their clothes.

The cookies taste delicious.

5. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Might; sweet scene with Steve and Billy
    Paralyse and Aspire; Robin and her doubts and reactions after she met Steve
    Thwart and Measure; A great way to start making cookies
    A great set

6. amidalachick

Aug 3, 2003
    @earlybird-obi-wan Thank you so much for reading and for your lovely comments! It means a lot to me. [:D]

Week 19

Characters:
    Steve/Billy
    Notes: Yet another journey into the land of "Abandoned Fics I'll Never Write". I was really stuck on this set, then I heard a song that reminded me I had an old fic idea based on that song, so I dug it up and managed to cram it in with these prompts.

Also IDK how hangovers actually work and if you can magically just feel better because you've got something better to do than lay in bed feeling sorry for yourself but that's how we're rolling here. I mean, I don't actually know anything about anything I write about but I don't have enough time/motivation to do research, and when I do try and research I just get more anxious about how much I don't know and how laughably inaccurate my stories are, and then I stop writing altogether. So yeah, I'm just going to call this done before I overthink it all and talk myself out of it.

The song that inspired this is I'd Rather Ride Around With You by Reba McEntire. It's so much fun and so good, please give it a listen! [face_love]

And if you choose to read this nonsense, thank you and I hope it gives you a smile or something at least!

91. Island

Steve doesn't want to go to Jennifer's wedding.

He's not jealous. He's just not thrilled about stepping in as a replacement groomsman and answering countless questions from nosy relatives that he doesn't have answers to.

"I wish I was going to Hawaii," he says. "Sunshine, swimming, drinks..."

Maybe he's a bit jealous that his cousin and her new husband are spending two weeks in Hawaii for their honeymoon.

"Sex."

Billy wags his tongue. Steve laughs despite himself. He's glad they're seeing each other before his weekend of misery.

He nips at Billy's earring and matches his mischievous tone.

"You offering?"

92. Gorge

Steve's no stranger to hangovers or killer headaches.

This one feels like the Grand Canyon splitting his skull in two. At least the alcohol made the rehearsal dinner bearable.

There's a sharp rap on his bedroom door, then "Stevie!"

His mom sounds annoyed, and he guesses it's not the first time she's called him.

He stumbles out of bed and opens the door. "Okay, I'm up."

His mom gives him a look that makes him feel about twelve instead of twenty, but all she says is, "Your friend's here." Another pointed look. "Don't be long, you've got to get ready."

93. Cove

Steve expects Dustin, but it's Billy waiting downstairs.

"Rough night?"

"Open bar. And lots of relatives."

Billy nods understanding. Steve would like nothing more than to curl up with him and go back to sleep for an hour or two. Maybe a day or two. He can't, though. With his parents bustling around he can't even risk a hug.

"Well." Billy holds up his car keys. "Thought you might want to get out of here today. I can't take you to Hawaii, pretty boy, but I can show you everything California has to offer."

Steve's hangover suddenly feels far away.

94. Torrent

Sitting in a truck stop parking lot, rain sliding down the windows, Steve wonders if Jennifer and Thomas got their pictures or if it's raining in Hawkins too.

He doesn't really care.

The rain's not letting up so he and Billy make a dash for the door and tumble inside, wet and laughing. Once they're settled in a booth Billy shakes out his curls like a dog, splattering raindrops on Steve.

Steve reaches across the table to shove him playfully and nudges his foot against Billy's.

They steal fries from each other's plates and talk about their plans for tomorrow.

95. Summit

They race up the trail, grabbing at each other's hands and shirts to try and slow the other down, breathless from laughing and bantering by the time they reach the top.

Steve sweeps his hand to indicate the expansive view of Lake Michigan, glittering in the sunlight, forest curving along a distant edge. The air's crisper and clearer after yesterday's storm.

"Cool, huh?" Steve says.

"Not bad," Billy agrees.

They lean on the railing surrounding the lookout, lacing their fingers together as they admire the scenery.

Someday, maybe, they'll get to Hawaii.

Today, this is where Steve wants to be.

7. UltramassiveUbersue

Nov 7, 2022
    Awww, I love it! Billy's such a great boyfriend. And I really feel for Steve not being out to his relatives yet and just feeling incredibly awkward to have to answer their questions about his life.

Lovely set! And also, one more week to go and victory is yours! [face_dancing]

8. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    a lovely set with Steve and Billy. Hawaii is good but California is great too

9. amidalachick

Aug 3, 2003
    @UltramassiveUbersue Personally I hate those kinds of questions and small talk, so I feel for Steve too. And I'm glad you thought Billy was a great boyfriend in this. I adore fics where it's good boyfriend Steve giving Billy lots of love, but sometimes Steve needs good boyfriend Billy to take care of and love him too! :p Thank you so much for reading and for your awesome comments! [:D]

@earlybird-obi-wan California is definitely a great place too, and the boys are very happy with where they ended up. [face_love] Thank you so, so much for reading and for your lovely comments. [:D]

Week 20

Characters: #96. Dustin/Suzie; #97. Mike/El; #98. Steve/Billy, OC; #99. Max/Lucas; #100. Billy, El, Max, Steve
    Notes: The final set! :D This was inspired by the various Star Wars movies and shows I've been watching recently.

As usual these are all AU and they could be better but I have a lot of other things going on so I'm just going to let go and call them done. I'm also working on a 'bonus' project with the bonus prompts from this challenge but I don't know when or if I'll finish that. So, at this point, this is it for this challenge.

The song that goes with this set is the Return of the Jedi victory celebration theme. This will always be the ending of the movies to me, always. [face_love] But not the end of the story - as long as fandom exists, there will always be more stories to share.

Last but definitely not least, a huge thank you to all who have read/liked/commented and offered support and encouragement throughout this challenge, with an extra-special thank you to @earlybird-obi-wan. I truly appreciate all of you. Thank you. [:D]

If you choose to read this final installment, thank you and I hope it brings you a smile or two. May the Force be with you. :D[face_love]

96. Cosmic

"Over here, buddy," Dustin says, putting his hand on Samuel's shoulder and helping him pose in front of his mom. "There you go. All ready?"

"Yeah!" Samuel grins and waves his lightsaber.

"Careful," Suzie says, lifting her own blade. "No duels today." Then she calls, "All good, Dusty-Bun?"

"Roger, Suzie-Poo," Dustin says, and hurries to join them. "Okay, on the count of three, say 'Wookiee'! One...two...three!"

"Wookiee!" all three of them shout as the automatic timer goes off and snaps the picture.

Dustin pats the swell of Suzie's belly and smiles. "Just think, we'll have two little Jedi next Halloween."

97. Living

It's El's first time seeing Star Wars. Mike glances at her as they watch, trying to judge if she actually likes it.

"I find your lack of faith disturbing," Vader says on-screen. El looks down at her hand in her lap and pinches her fingers together.

"El?" Mike pauses the movie and touches her arm. "You okay?"

She turns to him. "Yes."

"You want to keep watching?"

She bites her lip, then nods. "Yes."

"Okay." Mike hits play. "The good guys use the Force, too. You'll see."

She smiles and takes his hand, and holds it until the credits roll.

98. Mindful

"If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny."

He believed that once. Let the anger and fear and pain consume him. Thought he deserved it.

He still does, sometimes, if Orli screams I hate you in the midst of a tantrum, or a stranger in the grocery store spits hateful words that sound too much like Neil, or he has a bad day for no reason at all.

But he tries.

Snuggling with Steve and Orli, watching The Empire Strikes Back and eating too much popcorn, he'll never let the dark dominate him again.

99. Luminous

Max is gorgeous in white satin. It's only the second time he's seen her in a dress.

Her father came from California and her hand's on his arm as they walk down the aisle. She holds her head high, her steps measured and regal.

Her father squeezes her hand before sitting down, and she steps forward.

She's illuminated by the sunlight falling through the stained-glass windows, dust motes floating around her like glitter.

She takes his hand, her white fingers intertwining with his brown ones, and an old, familiar quote surfaces in his mind.

Luminous beings are we, he thinks.

100. Redeem

Everyone's at Steve's house watching Return of the Jedi. But Billy's not seeing Luke and the Emperor.

The monster looms over the little girl.

"You were happy." Her hand's warm against his cheek.

He holds the monster back. Away from her.

"Billy?" Max stands in front of him, tears streaking her cheeks too. Steve's rubbing his shoulder, saying deep breaths, yeah, that's it. El, sitting by his feet, touches his knee.

"He's okay," El tells the others. Max squeezes onto the couch to hug him.

"I've got to save you."

He feels himself beginning to relax.

"You already have, Luke."

10. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    What a beautiful ending with all the Star Wars themes and movies in them so Great mixing with the characters. Congrats on finishing the drabbles. =D==D=:greensaber::bluesaber:I enjoyed them thoroughly

UltramassiveUbersue likes this.
  11. UltramassiveUbersue

Nov 7, 2022
    Congrats on finishing the challenge! =D=

This is a perfect ending-- I love these vignettes of sweet little moments between these characters, and you capture their voices so well. And it's lovely to see them bond over these movies just as we have with our loved ones.

12. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    Congrats on completing the challenge! :D Looking forward to catching up with these.

UltramassiveUbersue likes this.