main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Strictly Ballroom - The Official Fan Fiction Social Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by JadeSolo, Feb 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    Welcome to the Official Fan Fiction Social Thread! Before you get started with the happy hours, we have a few guidelines we'd like you to follow while you're here.

1) This thread will be run by the Fan Fiction moderators. Thus, it doesn't belong to any one person or group of people. It is the job of the moderators to enforce the rules. Any concerns about the thread should be brought to us, or any other mod if we're not online.

2) This is the official social thread of the Fan Fiction forums, and so there doesn't have to be a specific topic of coversation at any time. Fanfic-related or thread-specific discussions, however, do not belong in here, as there are many other places in Resource to accomodate your needs. We ask especially that you keep specific story discussion to Resource threads or the story forums.

3) This is also not a place for e-romance, e-bickering, role-playing or any other such thing. If you choose to get involved in these things, it's your choice, but please don't bring the details or drama in here. Be mindful at all times of the TOS in this respect.

4) We know people are eager for conversation, but if there's a lull for a few minutes, don't post just to "revive" things. A thread that's quiet for a few minutes isn't dead. Spamming isn't simply about upping your post count.

5) The general guideline for posting pictures is three per 25 posts. This is a courtesy to the people on dial-up. Also, please try not to quote pictures too much.

6) You snark, we ban. Keep the personal feuds off the boards.

First post! Woohoo! :p

2. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    ::Waltzes in.::

Second post! Cool title.

3. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    Hey, new thread! :D

In response to questions in the old thread, contra isn't a class, but we have a group that holds a contra dance every first Friday of the month, and this was the Winter Term contra, I guess. I guess I should learn to properly ballroom dance one day, though- you never know when I might have to animate it. :p

4. amidalachick

amidalachick FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 5 VIP - Game Host

Aug 3, 2003
    EDIT: 4th post! To celebrate: [face_dancing] [face_dancing] [face_dancing] [face_dancing]

Love the title!

Another edit: What exactly is contra? :confused:

5. WyoJedi

WyoJedi Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 7, 2005
    Woohoo! New thread.
    Let me just jump in here and cut a rug with ya'll.

I love to dance. I have never actually taken any dance classes... scratch that, I took a country swing class with my wife at college. Anyway, I love to waltz, it is so elegant and flowing. But I would definitely like to learn to ballroom dance someday... although no one has ever complained about my dancing before **dances out of room ala Fred Astaire**

Cheers,
    Wyo

6. Lady_Cora

Lady_Cora Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 20, 2005
    The sixt is here. *does a clumsy bow and falls over* Excuse me! [face_blush]

7. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    ok, I was worried there for a moment. [face_worried]

all this talk of dancing...:rolleyes:

Striclty Ballroom was a good movie though.:D

8. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Has anyone else seen either version of Shall We Dance? Very good movies.

9. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    Nope, not me.

Contra dancing is a lot like English country dancing. If you've ever seen Pride and Prejudice (the real BBC version, not those crappy other versions), it's like that crossed with square dancing. You still have a caller, but it's not as hoe-down-ish as square dancing. And a heck of a lot more fun. :D

10. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    I want to see the Japanese original but still haven't.

11. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I did a lot of contra dancing in my World Dance class. There's one that's a Norwegian dnace called The Potato. It doesn't look like its name.

12. janiasolo

janiasolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 26, 2002
    Has anyone seen the movie "Strictly Ballroom"? I want to, since I love Baz Lurhman's work, but haven't yet. I also would love to learn ballroom dancing!

13. amidalachick

Aug 3, 2003
    Contra dancing is a lot like English country dancing. If you've ever seen Pride and Prejudice (the real BBC version, not those crappy other versions), it's like that crossed with square dancing. You still have a caller, but it's not as hoe-down-ish as square dancing. And a heck of a lot more fun.

I haven't seen Pride and Prejudice, but contra sounds very cool! :D

There's one that's a Norwegian dnace called The Potato. It doesn't look like its name.

Sounds interesting. :D

It actually reminds me of an old song that goes something like "Do you love me?/Do the mashed potato/Do the twist..." I wonder if that's what they're talking about. [face_thinking]

14. WyoJedi

Nov 7, 2005
    The mashed potato, I believe, is a dance from the 50s... my mom showed me how to do it once, and you move your feet back and forth like you are squishing potatoes. I should have paid more attention but I was to busy saying 'Mom, please stop.' Not something you want to be seeing as a teenager.

Cheers,
    Wyo

15. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    LOL, the Norwegian one is everyone in pairs in a circle, running 16 steps forward, 16 steps back, 8 steps forward, 8 steps back, 4 in a circle, then spinning around to the next partner.

16. IrishEyedJedi

IrishEyedJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 24, 2005

The A & E version (Pride & Prejudice) with Colin Firth! =P~ =P~

17. amidalachick

Aug 3, 2003
    The mashed potato, I believe, is a dance from the 50s... my mom showed me how to do it once, and you move your feet back and forth like you are squishing potatoes. I should have paid more attention but I was to busy saying 'Mom, please stop.' Not something you want to be seeing as a teenager.

Hmm, I know that feeling. ;) And I guess that would be the one they're referencing in the song...cool! Thanks for the info, Wyo!

The Norwegian one sounds pretty fun, Ish. :)

18. WynssaStarflare

WynssaStarflare Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 17, 2004
    Was the Keira Knightly Pride and Prejudice any good? I've always wanted to see the BBC version though.

19. Luna_Nightshade

Luna_Nightshade Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2006
    I haven't seen the Keira Knightley one, but I plan to sometime when my schedule clears up a bit more. I do know, however, that my fellow English majors were filled with righteous contempt at the way they "butchered Austen's beliefs" or something like that, so if you are a stickler for staying to the original plot, it doesn't sound like it will suit you. They said otherwise, if you weren't being a stickler, it was a very enjoyable movie. So there you go.

20. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I loved the Knightley one. THe chemistry was just so THERE.

21. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    talk...of...dancing...destablizing...primary...circuits. 8-}

Although totally secure in masculinity, I like most versions of Pride and Prejudice.[face_blush]

22. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    You think your masculinity is intact after admitting that?! [face_laugh] I'm kidding, of course.

23. WyoJedi

Nov 7, 2005
    Hey no problem amidalachick, I'm always available for useless information about classic rock dances. :D

I have not seen any of the Pride and Prejudice movies... and you won't ever get me to **claws way out of feminine grasp and into the action/adventure section** :p

Seriously though, I have not seen them so I can't say good or bad. The book was pretty good.

Cheers,
    Wyo

24. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    If you see the Mormon modern version ever, look for a girl in a green shirt in the hymnbook-throwing scene. It's a fellow fanforcer of mine.

25. WyoJedi

Nov 7, 2005
    Ish, what 'Mormon modern version' is that? I would certainly check that out.

Cheers,
    Wyo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.