main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Strictly Ballroom - The Official Fan Fiction Social Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by JadeSolo, Feb 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Come one, Wyoe. Even Kiera Knighly can'tget you out to 2 hour movie? Forget the 6 hour A&E.

2. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    It's a modern retelling set at BYU. Kitty and Lydia are the man-hungry coeds from hell, Jane's from Argentina, Lizzie's an aspiring author and English Department TA, Darcy's a publisher, and Charles Wickham mass-markets dog-oriented classical music. It's got some very hilarious elements, especially the fact that all romance stems from the rules in "the pink bible".

3. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    Did you just say Mormon? I haven't seen the latest version yet.

Oh, I thought you meant the K. Knightley version...

4. WyoJedi

WyoJedi Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 7, 2005
    brodiew, I will watch Pirates of the Caribbean any day... King Arthur, sure... heck she's even in Episode 1. But I am so not into the 'chick flicks' (sorry if I offended anyone with my non-PC speech here)... Although I would sit throuh it if my wife wished to see it (Only because Keira Knightley was in it though) :p

Cheers,
    Wyo

5. WyoJedi

Nov 7, 2005
    I'll have to watch for that Ish. It sounds really interesting to say the least.
    A romance story set at BYU... now why does that not surprise me...

Cheers,
    Wyo

6. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Um, it surprises me because this is the land of NCMO, don't forget.

7. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    hey, no code language! NCMO?

8. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    NCMO? :confused:

As for versions of Pride and Prejudice, I must admit I'm a snob. I saw the BBC version with Colin Firth when I was ten years old, loved it, and I've never been able to take any of the other versions seriously because they so badly slaughter the plotlines, say nothing of historical accuracy. I actually saw the BBC version about six times before I got around to reading the book, but I still read the book when I was 13. :p 'Tis my favourite book, I confess.

9. Zonoma

Zonoma Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2005
    Yeah, what's NCMO?

10. WyoJedi

Nov 7, 2005
    NCMO stands for... Non-Commital Make Out.

Cheers,
    Wyo

11. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Non-Committal Make Out. It was very popular before 2002. People would show up in the art museum garden and just make out with whoever of the opposite sex was there. Those were also the days when it was shameful to be VL--virgin lips--whereas now, I hear that being a lip virgin will get you an instant marriage proposal.

12. GrandAdmiralV

GrandAdmiralV Jedi Youngling star 3

May 30, 2005
    Ooh, you named this thread after one of my favorite movies ever! I think I saw it about six times when it was in the theater because I kept dragging all my friends to it. :)

I've actually done a lot of English country dance...Regency dancing, to be specific (just like what you'd see in any of the P&Ps or some of the other films they've done for A&E, such as Emma). A lot of the larger science fiction conventions actually offer Regency dancing as one of the evening's entertainments. (I know that sounds like the crossover to end all crossovers, but apparently back in the '70s a lot of the people running conventions were into reading Georgette Heyer novels, and that's how it all got started.)

I tried contra dancing a few times, but people were so out of control compared to Regency dancing, and after some oaf trod on my foot for the umpteenth time I told my then-boyfriend that I'd prefer to stick with Regency.... :eek:

13. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    Really Ish,

Are you saying the youth or people of this country have become more sexually conservative since 1992. I find that hard to believe. But I'm not 15-25 anymore.

Edit: Make no mistake. I long for the day of responsibility among our youth. No offense meant to those who fall into this age bracket who are responsible.

14. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Don't forget that people at my uni have to sign an agreement when applying that they'll keep high standards of moral conduct and dress. We're very conservative at times.

15. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    Cool. I'm glad to hear it. I thought I might have to start singing hymns again.:D [face_flag]

16. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Oh, don't get me started. I could just start belting out "Come Ye Disconsolate."

17. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    I think you have a larger battery of hymns to draw on than I do.

18. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Well, I have 340 in English, 209 in Spanish, I know two in french, one in german, and three in Croatian. And that's not counting all the ones from Christian school, choirs and random songs from Judaism that I had to sing for concerts.

19. WyoJedi

Nov 7, 2005
    Geez, Ish... I thought I had a lot with my hymn books in English, Swedish and Korean. You certainly do have a broad palatte to choose from.

Cheers,
    Wyo

20. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I rather like it that way. :) Dude, I was looking at the MoTab audition specs and the audition tape is wicked easy, which is probably why the theory and knowledge test that follows is such a reputed nightmare.

21. janiasolo

janiasolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 26, 2002
    My friend made me watch the Colin Firth version, and while had made for delicious eye candy (=P~ ) I about died 3 hours in. I kept whining (Is it done YET?) and she wasn't very appreciative of it.

22. WynssaStarflare

WynssaStarflare Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 17, 2004
    I don't think I could last 6 hours for a movie. That's way intense. I was getting antzy towards the end of ROTK and that was only about 3 hours. At the end, I just wanted Frodo to fall into the damn lava pit. :p But that was just me...

23. WyoJedi

Nov 7, 2005
    OK, this is completely off topic, but I really need some support right now...

Anyway, back in 2002 my wife was diagnosed witha brain tumor and underwent radiation therapy for it. Recently we have met with a neurosurgeon about the prospect of removing the tumor. Just today we got a call from the doctor saying that they will do the surgery next week.
    Needless to say, I am a little frazzled right now. We had expected at least two weeks to prepare everything (house, child care, etc.), but now it looks like it is all coming to a head rather quickly.
    Anyway, there is my vent. If ya'll don't see me around much in the next little while, you know why.

Cheers,
    Wyo

24. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Oh, wow. ::Hubs.:: Is there anything we can do other than try to cheer you up?

25. WyoJedi

Nov 7, 2005
    No, but thanks Ish. Pretty much just cheering up is what's needed. Thoughts and prayers of course are always welcome.

Cheers,
    Wyo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.