main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga ~ Study Duty ~ Dear Diary 2009; OC Youngling Kanshi; COMPLETED: 12/ 29

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by MsLanna, Jan 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    Title: Study Duty
    Author: MsLanna
    Timeframe: AtoC/RotS
    Characters: OC Kanshi, guest starring the incredible Sian Ny
    Keywords: Diary, Jedi
    Summary: Kanshi gets Study Duty. Often. But it's never his fault. Promise. :p
    Notes: For the Dear Diary Challenge 2009

Sian Ny appears by the gracious of the incredibly wonderful VaderLVR64.[face_love] There needs to be a monument* for her around here.[face_not_talking]

* Please excuse the foreign speaker.[face_blush]

Study Duty

One

Eh, Master Taren gave me study duty. This is so boring. He said younglings are not supposed to be in the Jedi Council. And it wasn't even my fault.

It is all Yani's fault. It always is. He is no good company. That means he is fun, but grown-ups seem to mix that up easily.

Yani said to go exploring the higher levels. He's around the palace all the time. He is not always in the classes. So we went up. It's so exciting up there, you can see all of Coruscant, Real! So there is this indoor garden and we play hide and seek. But Yani is gone, sometimes he doesn't think. Often he doesn't remember. He is not good at paying attention.

One day, Master Yoda almost whacked Yani with his stick. No joke! Yani was staring into the air above Master Yoda's head. Yani often stares. But maybe Yoda thinks Yani is looking for a taller teacher. And Yani doesn't react at all when Master Yoda calls. We giggle. Yoda is not happy and he is about to smack Yani. Swear!

Anyway, Yani is gone and I look for my way back. This temple is huge. Real! So I don't find my way. Not fast and there are many Jedi around suddenly. One's on a hoverchair. That's funny, but he's got no legs. Swear! And he's almost at my height so I ask him for the way back. He laughs and I like him.

I run off, he gives good directions, I find my way easy. I am good at finding my way, one day I will be a Jedi-Tracker. Yani laughs and says there's no such thing. I will make it then. Like a bounty hunter just as Jedi. Doing it for good. So I run into the turbolift because I am late for dinner. There's bronto-bird for dinner. I like bronto-bird and I don't want to be late.

But instead of the youngling's place, I am suddenly in a huge room with windows everywhere. The light is pretty through the windows. There are chairs in a circle, but nobody is there. Then somebody is there and he is angry. Jedi are not supposed to be angry, but he was. Swear! He's all dark and glowers and then he takes my arm and drags me back. He delivers me to Master Taren. Master Taren was the first Jedi we meet in the youngling's wing. He doesn't train younglings. I think he looked for a padawan.

So Taren thinks it is all my fault and I get study duty. I don't want to study. I want dinner and I want to shout at Yani. And that Jedi in the hoverchair. This is so unfair.

2. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Great start and like to see more of them. Sian Ny is always great to see.

3. Seremela

Seremela Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 12, 2008
    Tsk, tsk, Sian Ny! You owe Kanshi some bronto-bird [face_shame_on_you][face_laugh]

I love Kanshi's voice, MsLanna, swear! (the way you put that and other such things in make him sound truly young =D=). And I do hope for more Sian Ny, he's a great character, glad you're putting him in as well.

4. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    So Taren thinks it is all my fault and I get study duty. I don't want to study. I want dinner and I want to shout at Yani. And that Jedi in the hoverchair. This is so unfair.

=D= Please PM me with updates! :D

5. MeleanaKenobi

MeleanaKenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 28, 2002
    Great start. Yani reminds me of one of my coworkers!

6. Corellian_Ale

Corellian_Ale Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 3, 2008

Sian Ny appears by the gracious of the incredibly wonderful VaderLVR64.[face_love] There needs to be a memorial for her around here.[face_not_talking]
    [/quote]

Memorials are for the dead...let's all just give her the obligatory: "We're not worthy!"

I don;t care what he cries out in his diary, this is a troublemaker if I've ever seen one. ;)

PM me!

7. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    Okay, I'll try to have bi-weekly updates for this, alternating with my crossover in Beyond. One week update, next week author replies. Tuesdays.

earlybird - Sian Ny will soon be more popular than Obi-Wan.[face_laugh] He won't be in each update, though, so don't get your hopes too high...

Seremela - It's an experiment for me to write somebody as young as Kanshi. I can only hope it works out and I don't end up looking more like an idiot than I already do.[face_blush] I'm sure Sian will find a way to make up once he realises he deprived an innocent youngling of a meal. ;)

Vadey - You whack me when I get him wrong.[face_batting] Of course, I'll pm you.

Meleana - Poor you. But then, you don't really know what Yani is like and I do. :p

Ale - Excuse the foreign speaker. Is 'monument' better?[face_batting] There's no such distinction in German I can think off.[face_thinking] Kanshi is all youthful innocence, you'll see.:p

8. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    Two

This is really unfair. They grounded me again while Yani is still out there somewhere. Laughing I bet. And it was his idea. Swear!

So last time I got study duty, it was because of that Jedi. The one in the hoverchair. Of course, nobody ever listens, but it's true. Anyway, Yani, he believes me. He thinks it's stupid to sit in a hoverchair, though. You can get new legs no problem as Jedi. Best bionics ever. Better than the originals, even. So sitting is stupid.

Yani says with legs like that you can do anything. Normal people can be almost as good a Jedi. Only almost of course. You can't be as good as a Jedi without the Force, that's a stupid idea. I wonder if people cut off limbs to replace them with better bionics. I mean, I can jump real high. One storey up when I concentrate. So how can people live and not be that good? Don't they miss it? Or are they all just like stupid? If I couldn't use the Force I would feel like an idiot.

So Yani says there cannot be many Jedi in hoverchairs around. Because you get new limbs when you need them. That makes sense. We don't own much, but we always get what we need. It's okay, though I would really like to have one of those new interactive holo-stations. Anyway, of all Jedi only Master Yoda owns a speeder. Only he's bad at tuning it up, so it only ever goes walking pace.

Yani laughed when he said that, but I don't get it. Master Yoda only has this hover-thingy. I wonder if he can drive a normal speeder. How can he get to the pedals with his feet and still look over the wheel? Yani says it's a joke of the older kids. They have stupid jokes. Not funny.

So Yani says to look into the archives, see if we can find that Jedi and play a prank on him or something. I like the idea. I missed dinner and we don't get bronto bird every week. I wish we did. How do you change the menu in the temple? I wonder if Master Yoda gets bronto bird whenever he wants. It would be good to be Jedi Master, if you can chose your food then.

We don't sneak into the archives, because we can go there on regular learning business. Yani is good at looking official. He greets Master Nu and she lets us in. We use a place in the middle. Yani says the back is suspicious. I don't want Master Nu suspicious. She can be creepy. Real!

The files are difficult. They make no sense and you cannot look for Jedi with hoverchairs. Yani looks and I try to look like I understand what he does. I don't. There are so many tables and charts. I get bored. I wander off because Yani doesn't need me. He is all in the charts.

Then an alarm goes off. I run to Yani but he is gone. The monitor is still on. I want to have a look. Maybe Yani found that Jedi. But I see nothing. Suddenly Master Nu grabs my ear from behind. Her fingers are all cold. She drags me away and shows me to a Jedi I have never seen before. He looks unhappy.

He says, I have triggered an alarm. I should not try to break into files. I will have to tell him what I wanted there. I have no idea what he talks about. I am okay with computers, but I like fighting better. So I say I have no clue what he wants. It was probably Yani who did it, but I would never peach on a friend. Swear! Jedi don't do that. No way.

That Jedi, he looks at me and I know he's using the Force. That's so unfair, but one day, I can block them all. I bet nobody reads Master Yoda's thoughts. But I'm just a youngling, no right or what? He shakes his head and off I go to study duty, considering what I did.

So I did consider, but it didn't take long. Exploring the archives is boring. Total! I can promise I never do that again. Maybe that will be enough to get me out here.

9. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Loved it! [face_laugh] =D= Looking forward to more! :D

10. Corellian_Ale

Mar 3, 2008
    A run in with Master Nu?!?! *shivers*

And a grumpy Jedi???? That's what he gets for running with the wrong crowd. :p

11. Seremela

Jul 12, 2008
    *shakes head* Kanshi, Kanshi, I can only say: stay away from Yani, real! :D

Another lovely update, Lanna. Although until now I don't really have the feeling that study duty is learning Kanshi much [face_laugh]

12. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    Vadey - Thank you. :D I hope you'll still be laughing when I write Sian.[face_worried]

Ale - What does everybody have against Master Nu? She's a good archivist....:p

Seremela - How can he stay away from his best friend, huh?;) And where would the fun be, if he did?:p He'll start learning, question is: what will he learn?[face_mischief]

[b]Three[/b]

This time I don't even know why I am here. Swear! I didn't do nothing, and Yani was not even around. I think. There was too much smoke to see much.

His name is Sian Ny. Yani found that out before he ran and I got caught by Master Nu. Nu, Ny; I wonder if they are related. I should have asked him. Sian, I mean. After Yani found out his name, he was easy to find. The first idea was to make him trip somehow and he'd fall on his face in front of all his colleagues. That one works every time. But Sian is in a hoverchair. Toppling that did not seem like a good idea. I mean, he could get hurt.

Yani said that would be discriminalisation or something. I think it means on the border of being real crime. Yani and his long words. One day, I'll take one and choke him with it. Swear! So no tripping. Yani said he'd think of something, he always does. I think life would not be much fun without him here. Old Jedi seem all so serious.

So we went up to Sian's room. Yani said to lure him away, Sian that is, so he can get into the room. He has some trick planned, but he doesn't tell me what. "He can read minds, stupid," Yani says. "If you know what will happen, he will too and it won't work."

Yani is clever. He thinks of everything. If he doesn't freeze, it's uncanny. Total! Yani just stops. Everything and then he stands, or sits or whatever and just stares and his mouth is open a bit. If it takes too long, he drools. When he comes back, he says he cannot remember what happened. I think Yoda talked to him. Maybe he should talk some more?

Yoda speaks funny. We like to use Yoda-speak, but only if he doesn't hear us. Funny, it is. Real! Yani speaks it real good. I think because Yoda talks to him sometimes. Anyway, I went to see Sian. He looked all surprised to see me and I did not know what to do. Yani had said to lure him away, but I didn't know how, or where. So I stood in the door and looked stupid.

"Hello," says Sian. "You're the boy from the corridor."

I nod. "You made me miss dinner - and I got study duty, too." I pout not sure what to do.

"Sorry, to hear that," he says, "what if I get you something to eat now?"

That's cool. You don't get much to eat outside of mealtimes. Grown-ups just don't know we need to eat more. Swear! But Sian seems nice. He did so last time. I don't know what to do next.

"No worries," he grins, and he has a huge grin. Like splitting his face in half. Swear! "I'll be right there with you, and no going into the Council Chamber this time. I promise."

Well, he can't do much when he's there, right? Maybe he does? Jedi Masters are stompin good with the Force. They can do everything. Can't wait to be one! "What food?" I want to know.

"What did you miss?"

"Bronto bird." That was so sad. "With frooja sauce and all."

"Impossible!" he shouted and looked shocked. "That can almost not be made up. But I have an idea. What about a bronto burger? I am sure I can get you one."

I nod. Bronto burgers are even more rare than bronto bird. There's everything on them, and the sauce squishes through your fingers when you eat them. I like that we can eat with our fingers it's much more fun that using the fork.

Sian drives out of his room and I walk beside him. He says there is a kitchen close by. We talk, I tell him my name and about study duty, but he doesn't seem sorry about that. He is nice, I think, not like other gown-ups. He cares about food. And he smiles a lot and has a loud voice. He talks a lot and he's funny.

The burger is good, but Sian is telling jokes and I spit bits of it all over the table. That makes Sian laugh. My fingers are full o

13. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Then many people are there. None looks happy and they grab me and the smoke bomb and tell me to say what's going on. I won't tell on Yani. Friend's honour. But there is nobody I can blame. In the end they say it was me - again. They are annoyed. Jedi are not angry. Sian looks like he is about to laugh. Then I get marched in here.

It's not fair. There is some pink stuff in my hair still and on my robes. I look like a girl, and I smell like one, too. Stompin mess! I must write why I must not play pranks. I can think of a reason: not to get study duty. I must find more, but this is not easy. I wish I had another burger.

Oh yeah, I can see Sian doing all of this! [face_laugh] =D=

14. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Master Nu. Nu, Ny;[face_laugh]

Nu sure is a grumpy one but Sian Ny is very funny.

Loved the two entries

15. Corellian_Ale

Mar 3, 2008
    This Yani is a bad influence!!!! [face_laugh]

16. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    Vadey - Thank you. :D I am so scared to get him wrong. :oops:

earlybird - But the names sound very alike. You can never be sure who's related to who in the GFFA.;) I'd agree, though, that Ny is much more fun.

Ale - Oh, really? o_O
    :p You just wait and see...

17. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    Four

Okay, this time it is my fault. But not alone. Sian was into it too. Swear!

See, I returned to the crèche and showered. All that pink stuff, ew! Yani was not there. The others did not see him, too. I am worried, a bit. Sometimes he freezes and then he just stands for hours. I hope it has not happened and that he is not lost somewhere. Once, he stood in the garden of fountains half a day. Nobody saw him because he was in the bushes. A gardener found him, drooling all over his robes and he didn't react. The gardener got healers and Yani ended up in the healer's ward for three days.

Anyway, I go and look for him in all our places. Maybe he waits there for me. But he's not there. So I look like random. You can find people with the Force if you are good at it, and I want to be a Jedi Hunter one day, let Yani laugh. I will show him. Swear! So I let the Force walk me around, not easy, you have to stop thinking, but not walk into a wall. I end up funny places when I do this. But Yani is nowhere. I get really worried.

He is not at the lessons. The teachers do not know where he is, too. I skip the last lesson and go look for him again. He must be somewhere. I think, maybe he is hiding. Nobody will ever find him then, and he must die of hunger and thirst. Stompin mess! But I must find him. I miss dinner, but it was only rica stew anyway.

It gets dark and he is still not there. I look in the dorm, but his bed is empty. I sneak out again. What if he is outside and freezes to death? I run through the temple and the gardens but I cannot find him. I sit down to catch my breath. Then Sian finds me. He gives me a hanky. That is because I am sweaty from running not because I was crying. I never cry. Swear!

So asks Sian, "what is it?" and I tell him about Yani and how he is missing and what he could die off and all. He says he'll help me look and tells me to keep the hanky, so I stuff it into a pocket. We set off and I hope he's good finding people with the Force.

He says he's a good hunter, because he's such a fast runner. But he doesn't run. It makes no sense. Maybe that was before that thing happened to his legs. We go back inside and I follow him for a while. I don't know how he wants to find Yani, he doesn't even know him. I still worry, but when there's an adult around you mustn't show that. They don't like when you think they don't know what they do.

Sian asks me where to turn sometimes. I don't really know, but I answer anyway. Yani is my best friend, I must find him. Then we are back at Sian's rooms.

"We know he was here. Maybe it will be easier to follow his steps from here," Sian says. The idea is good. I must remember that for later. I close my eyes and look for Yani. He is almost there. I can feel him, and he is close. I open my eyes and Sian. He looks past me and I turn around. There is a small locker in the wall. Those are everywhere. It's no fun to play hide and seek inside, because there's million of them. Swear! You never find anybody.

We go to the small door and Sian opens it with the Force. One day I can do that. I'll be a great Jedi Master. Total! Behind the door is a small space, there is stuff to clean and such in this one. And Yani. His eyes are wide open and he drools. He olds on to a broomstick and his hands are all white. He doesn't see us.

I look at Sian. "He is like that sometimes. He needs a healer."

Sian closes his eyes shortly, then nods. "A healer is on his way." I try to get Yani out of the closet, putting away bottles and rags, but not the broom. Yani doesn't let go off the broom. It loos like he tries to hide behind it, but it is much to small.

Finally, Sian just takes him, broom and all, and lifted him out of the locker. Yani twitches, but that is it. He still looks past us, as if there was a krayt dragon down the hall. But a broom is no good against that. Sian puts a hand on Yani's head but nothing happens.

"You could use him as a crowbar," he says. "Are you sure Yani is not a misspelling of Jemmy?"

I shake my head. Yani is Yani, Sian is strange

18. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    interesting character Yani and loved Sian getting Kanshi to the healers'ward and helping him.

Great writing=D==D=

19. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    "Oy," he says. "What you doing here." His voice is very soft, almost not here.

"Checking on you," I say. Stupid question really, but he looks bad. "They treat you good?"

He nods, and smiles, not much. He is tired. But he is okay. I am not worried anymore. So I turn to go to the dorm, but I don't get far. A healer grabs me and puts me on a table. He pokes at the sauce and does not look happy. Sian is gone. He can outrun them in his chair, I bet. The healer wipes the sauce away and scolds me. That I must not see Yani, that he needs rest and all that. But we're best friend, of course I have to see him. Adults just don't understand.

So they send me to bed and the next morning I they give me study duty right after the lessons. I cannot visit Yani. This is so unfair. I wonder if Sian has study duty too.

I can only imagine Sian with study duty! :p

=D=

20. Seremela

Jul 12, 2008
    Oh, wouldn't it be great if Kanshi will end up as Sian's new Padawan??? There definitely is a relationship growing between the two.

But poor Yani... first I thought he's simply trouble, but now I'm very, very worried about him :(

And Kanshi is a dear!

Great updates. I love that a story seems to be developing here.

21. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    earlybird - Thank you. Freinds must be friends, even if that menas getting study duty. :)

Vadey - Do I want to know what Sian would do during study duty? [face_worried]

Seremela - Of course, there is s story. :p Otherwise, I wouldn't even bother.[face_blush] Anyway, Kanshi is much too young to be a Padawan for years. The topic might just come up one update, though.;)

22. Corellian_Ale

Mar 3, 2008
    So Yani has gone into these catatonic moments before?!?! Poor guy...

Enjoy study duty!

23. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    Ale - Yep, he's not quite normal. Even for a Jedi...;)
    And who knows, he might just do that....

[u]Five[/u]

Yani had to stay in the healer's ward for some days. I visited him, and he got better. He looks sad, but he tries not to show.

We visited Sian. Yani said thanks and Sian gave us cookies. He wanted to know if Yani remembers anything, but he shakes his head. I think he lies, and I think, Sian thinks he lies, too, but he doesn't say anything. That is not normal. Adults always want to know, especially when they think you lie.

We take more cookies and then we go to our fortress in the gardens. It is our secret place. You cannot see it from outside, nobody ever finds us there. We took a bottle of lemonade on our way and then we sit down to eat.

"Do you really not remember?" I ask Yani.

He doesn't look at me, He stares at his hands. "I don't want to remember," he says. "I want to forget. I will never forget if we talk about it."

That makes sense. I shut up and eat a cookie.

Then we talk about more important stuff, training and the other younglings, and what lessons he missed in the ward and the pranks, and how Juli again managed to make her training saber turn pink and Yorec still tries to get a Master early and how he makes an idiot out of himself doing that. Total!

Yani did not miss too much. He's so good at everything, it doesn't matter much anyway. He's always showing me to do things even when he was in the ward and I was in class. But now, many lessons just don't happen. Many teachers are in the war. It was not so bad to start and it was fun to have hours off.

Now, we have many hours off, mostly fighting, too. That sucks. I like fighting, and Yani does. But many teachers go to the war and many did not come back. It's time the war ends and they all return. Yani says they won't return anyway, but as long as there's the war, I can make believe they will.

If I tell myself something strong enough, I can make myself believe. Like a mind trick, but on myself. Swear! So I believe they'll be back when the war is over. Anyway, the Republic has a huge army, why don't they fight? The Separatists don't have Jedi, so why should the clones have trouble defeating them without Jedi?

I have seen clones. For a while they were all over the place. They all look the same, even with the helmets down. I got study duty then, because we sneaked out and talked to some when we should have done meditation exercises. They were nice, and strange and liked candy and showed us the gear. I want gear like that one day. I wonder why they have not shot the Seps out of the galaxy with gear like that.

Yani says there's too many droids fighting for the Seps. Droids are bad fighters, I always win against the remote. Real! And he says the Jedi get such gear too, when they fight. I wish I was all grown up already, then I could get one of those Deeses. And I could wear cool armour, like Kenobi does, Yani showed me pics. Kenobi is stompin cool. I want a Master like him. He still has a padawan, but I will have some years to wait anyway. I hope he'll be there when I have to get a Master. Yani doesn't say who he wants as Master. I think he has a crush on Master Secura maybe.

We had much to talk about and it was dark when we went into the temple again. We had missed dinner, and the cookies were not really good for that. So Yani said to raid the kitchen. I like kitchen raids. Yani never gets caught so when I stay with him, I don't get caught too. There are many small kitchens in the wings and levels of the temple. If we all got food from the central kitchen it'd be cold when we got it.

Yani finds a small kitchen and it's all dark. We make sandwiches by the light of the fridge and I try to show what Sian did with the sauce. I am not good with it, and there's splatters of sauce everywhere. But it's fun. Yani is much better at it. He can move the drops to places and then let them explode. Stompin fun!

We laugh and I cough on bits of sandwich. Then the light goes on and master Tharen is the

24. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Loved it! :D

We visited Sian. Yani said thanks and Sian gave us cookies. He wanted to know if Yani remembers anything, but he shakes his head. I think he lies, and I think, Sian thinks he lies, too, but he doesn't say anything. That is not normal. Adults always want to know, especially when they think you lie.

That's true. But I can see Sian letting it go. For now. :p

=D=

25. Corellian_Ale

Mar 3, 2008
    [face_devil] More mischief!

I think he has a crush on Master Secura maybe.

yeah... :p

I stuff some last pickles into my mouth because Tharen does not look like he will let us finish eating. He doesn't. We get sent to bed and have to report to study duty tomorrow. That is now. But it's okay.

Yeah, Tharens frown on pickles... I don't know why, they're so tasty!

=D=

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.