main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga ~ Study Duty ~ Dear Diary 2009; OC Youngling Kanshi; COMPLETED: 12/ 29

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by MsLanna, Jan 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lilith Demodae

Lilith Demodae Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 1999

That's a real friend, in trouble right next to you. :) Kanshi is terribly cute. I'm enjoying this. Keep up the good work.

2. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    Vadey - Thank you. [face_haooy] And emphasis on 'for now'. [face_laugh]
    I'm sure he'll try to get to the heart of this.

Ale - Well, wouldn't you? :p
    Um. [face_blush] Yours doesn't like pickles either? Sorry for the theft, I only later realised when I had the name from. [face_blush]

Lilith - Welcome to the story.:D And so far, Kanshi has always been alone in study duty . Maybe he can make sure Yani joins him more often in the future.[face_mischief]

3. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    Six

Yani can get into trouble everywhere. Total! Even in the gardens. It is stompin stupid. Anyway, there was this huge plant in the gardens, the Skydome Botanical Gardens, not at the temple. It's huge, like a person and fat like many and it never blooms. Or almost never. But now it did and Yani wanted to see that.

I don't know where he got the information from, but he likes computers. He spends a lot of time in the library or other places with terminals. I think sometimes he uses those for adults, too and makes them think he's adult. He always knows everything. Swear! So he tells me about this huge plant and that it blooms once in a hundred years and that it is blooming now. And that he has to see it.

I wonder why? It's only a big flower, I bet there's more than one and they bloom all the time. But Yani wanted to go no matter what. So I went and ask Sian. He said fine, but we had to help him if his hoverchair got stuck in the gravel paths. I think that was a joke. He likes jokes, but I don't think he's very good with them.

Anyway, we can go with Sian. Yani is all happy and bounces. Swear! He talks with Sian a lot about the plant, or he talks and Sian nods and goes uh-huh. That's okay, I do that when Yani has on of those babble attacks. Sometimes he just talks and talks and talks and it's not really interesting. Like plants.

Okay, the plant was huge, and it bloomed huge. The whole garden smelled like it, a bit like the pink stuff Yani used in the stink bomb, just better. We smelled it as soon as we came in. Swear! But first we have to get through half the gardens. Sian is talking and showing plants he has seen on their home plants; he has been everywhere. There is about a million people waiting to see the stompin plant. But they are all very nice and some let us pass. I think it's because we're Jedi and Sian is in a hoverchair.

Then we get there and it really stompin huge; the biggest veggie I ever saw. Total! And so close the smell is choking, I almost cough. Yani is like frozen, only he's grinning like crazy and moving. I don't know what he sees there that I don't.

"You really like plants," Sian says to Yani.

"Because plants are not black," Yani says and stares at the flower.

"But there are black plants, Yani," Sian said. It's true, we went past some on our way in, I saw them.

"No, not black, black, like black in the Force. Plants cannot be black that way." Yani tries to explain. That can be, though I never see colours in the Force. It is glowing and kinda fuzzy, but I don't see colours. But then, it's different for all of us. I wonder if Yani sees everything coloured in Force-colours and what it would be like. Stompin awesome, I bet.

Sian says nothing, he is silent a long time and we walk on. Suddenly Sian acts like he is stuck. It's a silly idea, but he made funny faces and it was stomin funny. We laughed loud. Sian made faces and waved with his arms wildly as if he was going to fall out of his hoverchair. Then we went a pushed, but it didn't move at all. Sian shouted encouragement at us when he managed. He was laughing too.

Then he broke free and Yani and I fell to the ground and I breathed in dirt and coughed and laughed. Sian can be much fun. The people look at us strange but they say nothing. We had a break and ate some sandwiches. Yani had gotten some lemonade, and he even shared with Sian. I think he likes him, too. Maybe because Sian does not keep asking about his freezing. Only that he does, but in a way that Yani doesn't have to answer. It's strange.

Then we go to see the flesh-easting plants. I heard they have some that can eat real people. I want to see that. Maybe they feed on while we're there. that would be stompin cool. But most plants are small, the big ones are not dangerous at all. And Yani doesn't like it here. Don't know why. First he's all plant-happy and then he's not. Sometimes you just can't understand him.

And then he runs off the path. You mustn't because the plant here eat flesh, but they are smaller than us, so I go after him. Sian can't because his hoverchair doesn

4. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    plants can be dangerous and what is now happening to Kanshi?

nice update

5. Corellian_Ale

Corellian_Ale Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 3, 2008
    [face_worried] Yikes!

First of all, ouch!

Secondly, now I'm REALLY curious about Yani's "freezing" episodes.

Are we gonna' hear the rest of this story? [face_batting]

P.S. - It's not thievery if I already stoles it from A.C. Crispin.... ;) Just ironically funny! [face_laugh]

6. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Loved the update! =D= It was stompin good! :D

7. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    earlybird - As narrator of the story, Kanshi is safe, so never fear.:D At least, the plant just chewed on his arm and didn't swallow him whole.;)

Ale - You'll get all of the story, never fear. It's all planned out already, with tables nad snippets and everything.
    Those freezing periods - will we ever know what he sees?[face_mischief]
    Crispsin? Huh?:confused: You lost me.[face_blush]

Vadey - Thank you. :D Hope to be stomin right through the whole story.;)

EDIT:I'm, sorry. I wanted to update, but I forgot the file at home. And I am in France. :oops:
    As soon as I am back, I will post it. [face_blush]

8. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    Seven

So this is what happened. We get back to the temple and they put Yani into the healer's ward. Okay, I get to go, too because my arm is all red and thick and there's small white dots all over it. But of course, they don't keep me long. After I was awake again and tell the whole story, I get punishment for trampling all through the garden. Not fair, I was just trying to help Yani, but adults never think.

So I am to help in the gardens. Not in the Skydome, but here in the temple. It's like stompin Agri Corps already. Argi corps is for losers, Yani and me, we're strong, we'll make great Jedi one day, not stompin farmers. But I have to, and I must help a lot, I don't get time to see Yani. That is worst.

Gardener Yantup is okay. He shows me how to use the Force when planting and watering. He was a youngling, too he says, but he's happy. He always liked plants more than people, he says and smiles. He looks a bit sad smiling. Then he shows me how to plant little flowers without messing up. There's a lot you can do wrong, it seems, and then the flower dies. I would just plant a cactus, less work, and those never die.

Ree-flowers do die, a lot. So there is a lot to be careful about: no snapping the roots and not pressing the earth too tight, not too much water, but no to little and they need much light and no panting them on the paths. Yantup shows me how to use the Force when putting a flower into the ground and putting earth around it. It's difficult because you can use the Force only a little.

I am not thinking of the work enough. I have to help in the garden, and Yani is still in the healer's ward. They keep him for days. I went to Yoda, but he said they need to make very difficult tests with Yani and that it takes time and I need to be patient. But how can you be patient when you best friend is sick? And you cannot see him, not even just like see see; through glass or anything.

So I plant little flowers and try to listen to Yantup. He is nice, he never is angry. Often he looks sad, but he always smiles. And he shows me all kinds of plants and tells me about them. He knows all there is to know about them. Swear! I didn't know there were so many gardens in the temple, but Yantup shows me all of them. I like the Yoda garden.

Of course, that's not the real name, it just kinda stuck because everything in there is very small. Trees that go to my knee and that are hundreds of years old, still. No Joking! There are small woods with hundreds of trees and I can jump over it. Or could, if Yantup allowed me. I am good at jumping, I like exercise.

I don't have to do study duty this time. Maybe they think gardening is better. But I don't have any time for anything anyway. When I have some time to myself, I try to see Yani. They don't let me in, but I stand there anyway. Sooner or later they have to let me in. Or I'll, I'll - I'll think of something. Total!

Sian is nice. Sometimes he's there, too, but he tries to get me to go away, too. Not in a bad way, tough. I think he knows what it means to be best friends. He keeps saying they won't hurt him. He doesn't say Yani'll be okay anymore.

I tell him about the tiny trees. I want to get one of those tiny trees Yantup showed me for Yani. It would be like having a forest, but in small. We could make tiny Wookiees and have them live in the tree. I ask Sian if he knows where to get one.

He doesn't but he says to ask Yantup. Stupid of me really. But Yani is the thinker of us. I do stuff. I wait until I have to go for dinner and then there's exercises and recap and I can only think of what they are doing to Yani.

The next day I ask Yantup about the small trees.

"Those trees are hundreds of years old," Yantup says. "They are very expensive and very difficult to keep."

"It's for Yani." He doesn't get it. "For Yani," I repeat. "He likes plants, and tress. He would be happy to have one."

"You will have to get one from the city," Yantup says. "I can give you the addresses of the best shops."

As if. I cannot buy anything, I don't have any

9. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    I never get to the last shop. At one place, Master Tharen gets into the transport and he drags me away. He doesn't even ask what I am doing. I get a long lecture on running away. But I wasn't even running, I was just trying to get a tree. Master Tharen does not listen. He doesn't like trees, I think. We arrive back at the Temple in the dark. I get more lectures about how people worry when I go off like that and that I must say where I am going.

As if. If I told them where I was going, they would not have let me. Swear! So this is the only way. That is the wrong answer, and I am sent to bed and get more study duty. Maybe I can ask Sian to get a tree for me. If I ever get out here again.

Study Duty! Poor thing! :p

=D=

10. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    Vadey - He does have a knack for doing all the wrong things for the right reasons, doesn't he?[face_laugh] So let's hope he'll learn - like one day.

[u]Eight[/u]

Yani is still in the healer's ward. It's been over a week now and they still don't let him go. And I cannot see him at all. It's stompin unfair. And Sian didn't get a tree either. And I got study duty to the end of all time. I think.

I don't know what they do to Yani in the ward, but nothing can take that long, even if they turned him into tiny pieces and sewed them all back together. It would look cool with all those scars in the end, but I don't think they do that. Adults never seem to do anything cool.

So I wait and wait and nobody ever tells me anything. Instead they say to be patient, learn patience and such. As if. I think they would not be that patient if their best friend was locked up like that.

Yantup says, it's hard to wait and he understands. He says it's like plants in winter, when everything looks like dead and nothing grows and you can't wait for spring. He says it gets easier when you get older and like growing it just takes time. He gives me easy things to do. I think he gets it, but he can't help.

Sian says to have another cookie and play a prank on Yoda. I am not sure if he is serious. I think he is.

But I think about a tree for Yani still. There must be a way to get one. The temple has a whole stompin forest of them. Well, they do.

Okay, the idea was not that great, but it was only because Yani was not there to help me. He is always doing the thinking. So I just went up to the tiny garden last night and I took a shovel. Those trees have really tiny roots, they are easy to dig up. I take a lot of them. They are very light and I can easily take them anywhere. I put them into very hidden places and then I dig them in again. I don't want them to die, just take them.

I need one for Yani. Nobody understands that, but that's okay. I can do things on my own. I'm a Jedi, I am very independent for my age. I think. Anyway, it takes the whole night. I must put the trees all over the temple and then I must not have anybody see me. And I must be careful, or Yanutp will be angry with me. Maybe he'll be angry anyway. I am not sure about him.

So I put the trees everywhere and get back to bed just in time to get up again. There is a big fuss about the missing trees and they come to me. Of course, I took them, I tell them. I needed one for Yani and nobody helped at all. So I helped myself. They give me a lot of earnest faces and tell me how what I did was wrong and all that.

Pfft. As if I didn't know. But for a friend, I will break the rules. I am sure adults do that, too, but they don't tell you. They are all good and perfect to you, but I am sure they would have gotten a tree for their best friend, too. Only that maybe they would have it had easier because nobody drags them back home when they go shopping.

They found the missing trees in the end, but I knew they would. Even if they are so small, trees are difficult to hide. Except for one, I hid one very well, nobody will ever find it. And when I get out here and Yani gets out, too, I will give it to him. That will be worth [i]all [/i] study duty in the galaxy.

11. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Sian says to have another cookie and play a prank on Yoda. I am not sure if he is serious. I think he is.

But I think about a tree for Yani still. There must be a way to get one. The temple has a whole stompin forest of them. Well, they do.

Actually, I'm sure Sian IS serious! :D

=D=

12. JediMasterAmanda

JediMasterAmanda Jedi Master star 5

Sep 7, 2005
    I love this story Lanna. It's great fun reading it. I do hope Yani will like Kanshi's goft for him. [face_worried]

13. Corellian_Ale

Mar 3, 2008
    I find the first two without a problem. But they don't give me a tree. I tell them to get the money from the temple, but they laugh.

You mean he hasn't been issued his Jedi Mastercard yet??? :p

Yani is still in the healer's ward. It's been over a week now and they still don't let him go. And I cannot see him at all. It's stompin unfair.

They're playing divide and conquer with the bad influence, eh?

If anyone will let the prankster off the hook, it's Yoda! o_O

But for a friend, I will break the rules. I am sure adults do that, too, but they don't tell you.

;) Of course!

14. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    Vadey - I think he's serious, too. But would you beleive it, being a youngling in the temple?;) Maybe once Yani is out of the healer's again, they might pick up that idea.[face_mischief]

Amanda - We'll see how Yani reacts. If he's not liking it, I'm sure Kanshi will kick him until he does.[face_laugh]

Ale - Nope. I think you get that when you are knighted, soonest.:p
    But how good an example are you saying one thing and doing the other? Everybody knows kids imitate what they see, not what they are told. :oops:

15. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    DRL and all that, yadda yadda, sorry.

Nine

They finally let Yani out again. He is thin, the wind will blow him away, I think. He does not go out, I think he knows it, too. He is tired and he doesn't say much. I think you should be all well when you get out of the healer's ward. They did something wrong with Yani. He is not well.

We sit in the gardens and do homework. I tell him everything that happened when he was away, but he does not listen. It is, as if he was far away, I don't like it. So I tell about Yantup and the small trees and working in the gardens. That interests him more. Yani likes plants, but I don't tell him about the hidden tree yet. I want him to be back for real before telling. I'm not making sense, I think, but I can feel it.

He doesn't see when I go. I go to Sian, he is always helping. I need cookies, those always cheer you up. Not that the Masters care. So I ask Sian to get me some for Yani. He's not good, I say. The healers didn't help him.

Sian comes along, but he doesn't follow to Yani. Yani still sits and looks at something. There is nothing, a bush maybe, just something. I give him a cookie. He takes it, but that is it. Al-most like he froze again, but he isn't. He's all there, only that there is nothing left to be there. Or something.

I wait very long and sometimes look to Sian. After a while he leaves, but Yani doesn't eat the cookie. We do homework, but he doesn't eat it. Not all day. There is something very wrong with him.

I wish I could go to the healers and ask to have my best friend back. But they are all adults, they would not understand. When the lights went out, I could see that Yani was still staring. As if he could see something in the darkness, but there is nothing. Still he doesn't close his eyes. I want to go over to him, but then he sighs.

"Okay." I don't think he is talking to me. "That's how it is."

I feel very bad. I don't know why.

16. Corellian_Ale

Mar 3, 2008

uh-oh.

17. JediMasterAmanda

Sep 7, 2005
    I get the feeling something bad is going to happen

18. Laine_Snowtrekker

Laine_Snowtrekker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 8, 2003
    This is a really interesting story!

Do you have a PM list? I'd like to be on it.

19. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    I wait very long and sometimes look to Sian. After a while he leaves, but Yani doesn't eat the cookie. We do homework, but he doesn't eat it. Not all day. There is something very wrong with him.

I wish I could go to the healers and ask to have my best friend back. But they are all adults, they would not understand. When the lights went out, I could see that Yani was still staring. As if he could see something in the darkness, but there is nothing. Still he doesn't close his eyes. I want to go over to him, but then he sighs.

I feel very bad. I don't know why.

Uh oh. [face_worried]

20. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    Ale - :p I like foreshadowing. Too bad you won't get to know what it's all about until December.[face_whistling]

Amanda - Oh it will. It certainly will. [face_devil]

Laine - I do, any it's as easy to get on as it is to get off again. :D Hope you'll like the rest of the story, too.

Vadey - Well, okay. You do know what happens in the end. :oops:

[u]Ten[/u]

I don't know why, but Yani is back to normal. Just like that. He woke up in the morning and it was as if he was not like a vegetable the day before. I am still worried. I think some Masters worry, too. They watch Yani. He knows. He knows I know, too. We look at each other and he makes a gesture we are not allowed to use. I laugh.

Of course, Master Tharen sees it. Tells us to solve the next problem, but it's just maths. We're good at maths, even though Yani missed almost a week. He's so smart. Swear! He is faster than I am. But it was always like that.

It's good to have Yani back for lightsaber practice. We pretend to be famous Jedi or Sith and replay their battles. If we also practice the moves, we have to learn in the lesson, we always get away with it. I am Revan and he's Malak. One minute we just spar, and then I am good again and try to kill him, and he tries to kill me. For once we don't argue about who's who. It feels strange.

"Don't you want to be Revan, for a while?" I ask Yani.

But he shakes his head. "It's okay. They always win anyway."

I repeat the series of hits we learn that day. I am not sure who 'they' are. The good ones, I think, they always win, but that is right, isn't it?

Later we played bounty hunters in the gardens and I told him about those tiny trees. And That I could not show them to him, because of what I had done, but that there was one, I had kept for him. He was really interested in the small trees and I promised to ask Yantup to show them to him. Then we went to look at the one I kept.

I had hidden it really well. Nobody would ever find it. Swear! I was more clever than everybody when I have to hide something. There is a small wood in one of the gardens. Small, because there are not may trees, but the trees are huge. We like to climb them, but it is forbidden. We do it anyway. The first bit is difficult, because there are no branches, but we are two and can use the Force.

We climb all the way up, you can see nothing from the ground, there is leaves all around us. A very secret place. Some of the branches are big enough to lie on and not fall off, I cannot put my arms around them. And on some of those branches, there are bucket flowers. Huge like buckets, but made of flower. Real! Sometimes there are even squigglies living in there. I wonder if they grow wings when they want to go to other places? They can't live in a bucket all their live, can they? That'd be so boring!

So I put the tree up here. I took a real bucket and put it into a flower. You can't see nothing! Not until you are right in front of it. The perfect hiding place. Stompin bright idea I had there. So we go to the tiny tree. It takes some time longer because we get distracting playing Wookiee-Attack, but in the end we get there. I sit and dangle my legs.

"For you." I point at the tree. "We could make tiny Wookiees to put in it."

Yani stares at the small tree. "It cannot stay here," he finally says. "It will die."

I nod. "We can save it, we just need a place to put it where nobody can find it."

Ynai looks at ma all strange, but he agrees. "We must get it out of the temple; off the planet. This is not a planet for - trees."

He's right. Coruscant is just one big city. No tree could be happy here. "We will find a way," I say.

We play some more Wookiee-attack and almost miss dinner. But Yani says I showed him all the stuff from being a gardener and suddenly everything is fine. I will never understand grown-ups.

21. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    He's right. Coruscant is just one big city. No tree could be happy here. "We will find a way," I say.

We play some more Wookiee-attack and almost miss dinner. But Yani says I showed him all the stuff from being a gardener and suddenly everything is fine. I will never understand grown-ups.

LOVE this diary! =D=

22. Corellian_Ale

Mar 3, 2008
    I nod. "We can save it, we just need a place to put it where nobody can find it."

Ynai looks at ma all strange, but he agrees. "We must get it out of the temple; off the planet. This is not a planet for - trees."

Hmmm... you were saying about foreshadowing.... [face_thinking]

23. JediMasterAmanda

Sep 7, 2005
    Hmm, much difficulty I sense in the young ones plans. o_O

great update

24. Laine_Snowtrekker

Laine_Snowtrekker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 8, 2003
    Very interesting.

Nice foreshadow. I want to know what really plagues Kanshi's best friend.

Thanks for the PM.

25. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    Vadey - Thank you. [face_blush] Free trees on free planets!;)

Ale - [face_whistling] Want to beta read the last entries? But you're on the right track, I think.;)

Amanda - You are not alone in your sensings.[face_laugh] But I am sure they will come up with a plan.

Laine - I promise, that you will know by the end of the year.[face_mischief]

[u]Eleven[/u]

We wondered where to put the tree, and he said that small people get protected by big people, so small trees would need big trees. The biggest trees ever grow on Kashyk - Kasshyyk - Ka-shyyyyk ach bugger, Wookie-planet. They are so stompin big, you never see the ground when you are up there. I saw pictures with Yani. I want to see those trees for real. Nothing can hap-pen to Tiny Tree there.

"We cannot go to Kash- Wookiee-planet," I say to Yani. I am right, too.

"We cannot go anywhere just like that," he says. "We must plan and get infos."

Yani is always thinking like that. I just go and then I get in trouble, but Yani is thinking and then nobody says a thing. So he plans. We have project weeks coming up. I like project weeks. A lot of classes are not done and instead we get to do projects about stuff that is really interesting.

But this time Yani says, "we want to see what political work is like. Visit embassies and talk to politicians."

I want to kill him. Politics is boring. Real! And ambassadors are guys in funny clothes that walk around like they are important. I see them in the temple sometimes.

"We can go to the Wookiee embassy," Yani explains later. "There we can find a way to get the tree away." Yani is so clever. Swear!

Master Tharen is happy with the plan, too. He knows nothing about the tree, but he likes us interested in politics. He gives us loads of advice, and keeps talking at us. I just want to get away. Yani and I need to plan. And we need a supervisor, because we want to go outside the temple and we cannot go alone.

I think Master Tharen wants to come with us, but we don't want him. I say, we better ask Sian. He's okay for being grown up. Yani says yes, and we visit Sian. He looks sad, but he says it's okay, just memories. I wonder how it is, being so old and having so much to remem-ber. The head must feel like bursting or something.

Sian has cookies and he thinks the idea is good. He looks at us funny, I think he thinks there is something we don't tell him. There is, but I am not even sure what exactly it is. I don't know what Yani wants to do in the embassy.

But we get to go. First we must visit the Corellian people, because - I don't know. Maybe so nobody sees what we really want to do. We go to the embassy and talk to a lot of people and take notes. They talk about making requests and getting stuff for their people. And about get-ting stuff by giving it to others, but that is not making sense. They talk about the war and troops and how important it is to keep everybody happy.

I get that, but I don't know how moving troops can keep people happy. Maybe the troops like to wander? I like to wander, especially in the night, but we seldom do that. Maybe becoming a soldier would be fun, but by the time I am old enough to be a knight, this war will be long over. And even I know it is bad manners to hope for more war, just so I get to wander at night.

Then we get cookies and they show us the embassy. It's just like the temple, only smaller. Many rooms and people going places and looking important. The cookies are very crumbly and leave a trail on the ground. I cannot see the small cleaning droids. That's bad, they are fun to chase along the corridors.

When we get back, we're all tired. Sian says he has not been so bored in a long time and I nod. All that talking. Only Yani looks happy. I think, he really likes this. That's fine, he had enough trouble lately.

The next day we make a report. Yani has tons of notes, it is not difficult to write nice long blah with them. Teacher like it when you ramble in reports. So we tell about all the

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.