main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Amph Subtitles in your native language: on or off?

Discussion in 'Community' started by solojones, Jan 18, 2021.

?

Do you watch TV shows and movies in your native language with subtitles on?

1. Subtitles on

52.5%
  2. Subtitles off

47.5%
  1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I'm curious what people think on this subject. I personally don't like subtitles on when watching something I can already understand, but I'm curious to also hear from people who watch with subtitles on.

2. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    These days, I put them on whenever possible. Makes it easier to comprehend the dialogue.

Rew, Juliet316 , Jedi Ben and 3 others like this.
  3. Ava G.

Ava G. 3X Wacky Wednesday Winner star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Jul 7, 2016
    I turn them on. If I've watched the movie enough times, I switch 'em off.

4. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 5

Dec 27, 2017
    I use English subtitles most of the times, French subtitles all the times, but never Italian subtitles. Sometimes I might need them for Neapolitan and Roman dialects when they're very strong, but it almost never happens.

5. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 5, 2011
    Off. I find subtitles distracting. They tend to be at the bottom of the screen, where’s there’s usually nothing going on. I prefer to keep my focus on the actors’ faces. If I’m having trouble hearing the dialogue, I can often read lips.

On the other hand, I prefer subtitles for foreign language films just because dubs tend to be terrible. In particular I dislike dubs with American accents for non-American characters. Messes with the atmosphere.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
    BigAl6ft6, Jedi Ben, mnjedi and 3 others like this.
  6. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2012
    Always on.

7. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 5

Dec 30, 2017
    tv: on
    movies: off

8. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    If I'm watching it for the first time then I have them on. If it's something I've watched before then usually off.

9. vin

vin JCC Playoff Pick 'Em Winner star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Dec 16, 1999
    I started turning them on at night so I wouldn’t wake the kid when she was a baby. I’m at about a 50/50 nowadays. I do enjoy finding abnormalities and mismatches. Especially on English dubs with English captions.

10. DarthTunick

DarthTunick Game Host - SfC Part VI BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Off; my hearing is fine.

11. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    I find them distracting. I usually end up reading the subtitles more than actually watching whatever is on.

12. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Off. Off off off.

Movies are supposed to be watched, not read. Foreign-language films, obviously, are one thing. But why would I spend my time distracted by reading subtitles if I don’t have to? I want the film the way it’s meant to be presented, not with a bunch of text slapped over it.

13. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    English generally off, except for Robert Eggers’ movies. Subtitles are the only way I could understand The VVitch and they helped when watching The Lighthouse too.

All foreign languages, I generally turn English subs on.

Ava G. likes this.
  14. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett PT Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Feb 18, 2014
    I guess it depends sometimes I do sometimes I don’t.

anakincol likes this.
  15. Coruscant

Coruscant Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Hmmmmmmm lemme think

On.

16. mavjade

mavjade It's so FLUFFY! Fanfic Manager star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 10, 2005
    Off
    I had a housemate for several years who's first language was not English, so we always had the English subtitles on so she could understand better. After having them that long, it was a bit hard to go without them at first; I found I was having a harder time understanding when they were off. But I prefer them off because if they are on I can't help but read them and then I miss other things.

17. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    Always on.

My hearing is fine but my Father and Sister are hearing impaired(partial impairment), there is a defect that runs in the family, my younger brother and i were lucky, my father, osister, and Paternal Grandfather were not. There hearing is fine as long as they have their hearing aids in. Breakfast could get a little loud though because Dad had a tendency not to put them on till after he had showered and shaved. Fun fact-Dad was taught to read lips as a way to help him with the hearing aids he had as Child which back in the 50's and 60's where not as good as modern ones, taught my brother and i how to as young children. This has come in handy for having a conversations in loud restaurants and stadiums.

I grew up with them always on because of the fact that i had two people who needed it.

18. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I've always had subtitles on for at least 15 years. Helps when there is other noise and makes dialogue easier to comprehend.

19. B3

B3 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    Never occurs to me. If it happens accidentally I turn them off.

20. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Usually on. Ambient noise can make things hard to hear plus you never know with the sound mixing.

21. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2012
    Love your avatar! I bought that entire series on Blu-ray not too long ago.

...which I watched with subtitles on, obvs.

Master_Lok likes this.
  22. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC 100 Day Star Wars Challenge Host star 6 VIP - Game Host

Sep 30, 2012
    Definitely off for films and tv shows. On for games.

23. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    On if the sound is terrible or if the actors mumble their way through the movie (or both) or if my kids are watching the movie with me as they talk and comment incessantly. Otherwise off. I watched most of Peaky Blinders with them on because I’m terrible at accents.

3sm1r likes this.
  24. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Off.

I still find it interesting that so many people find subtitles distracting. Since subtitles are the norm here for everything foreign language, except pure children's films and tv, and US/English is so dominating when it comes to tv I guess if you are brought up with it you learn to "read" subtitles without noticing them. I think it's fun to compare subtitles with the spoken word, sometimes they don't get it right, or when it's a language that you don't really know but with the help of subtitles you can pick up quite a lot of words.

Rew likes this.
  25. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Always off, unless I couldn't make out a piece of dialogue or didn't quite catch a word or name, then I'll rewind and turn them on for a second.

BigAl6ft6 and Sarge like this.