main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Subtitles in your native language: on or off?

Discussion in 'Community' started by solojones, Jan 18, 2021.

?

Do you watch TV shows and movies in your native language with subtitles on?

1. Subtitles on

52.5%
  2. Subtitles off

47.5%
  1. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    I think that makes sense. We're already so used to reading text in games that subtitles don't feel so out of place.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    From the perspective of a 25% hearing loss, boosted by an aid, plus dyspraxia, which slows my info processing, subs are a must. They just make entertainment easier.

My wife also finds they help, as she has the double of dyslexia and dyspraxia. We started using subs on West Wing - that show moves - and talks -fast. They really helped, so kept using them.

For anything foreign language, absolutely - dubbing doesn't look or sound right.

For games, they are essential. If I'm already processing and responding to real time dynamic data in relation to a full 3D environment, with a varied set of response options, the last thing I want is to be having to work on catching some bit of audio at the same time. Plus, I read faster than I hear.

Not a fan of the recent design decision for the last few years to intersperse dialogue across boss fights, just gets in the way and distracts.

And then there's issues of clarity that subs help on too.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
  3. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    I’m surprised this is pretty evenly split down the middle. I guess there’s a lot more subtitles users out there than I thought.

4. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I required them to be on because the film was made by Christopher Nolan.

5. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    [♪BWAMMMMMMM♪]

6. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I can actually hear it when reading your post. My house shook when I opened the thread.

Rew, Master_Lok, Juliet316 and 8 others like this.
  7. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013

Mar17swgirl, Rew, Master_Lok and 4 others like this.
  8. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Now I can't remove the sound of loud organs from my head.

9. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    One choice fewer than I'm able to vote on. It depends for me. If there's an option to watch a Japanese animated film dubbed in English, more often than not I'd watch it that way. As a Studio Ghibli fan in particular, they've had a particularly amazing cast of VAs over the past 30 years; a handful of whom we'd be talking about in JCF threads beyond this Community forum, if you get my drift.

But there are some movies that I feel as if it loses its flavor when dubbed; like Grave of the Fireflies. I just can't picture feeling the same way I do at the end of the movie listening to an English cast as I have with the original Japanese VAs.

10. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I didn't know there were people without hearing loss who used subs until some people from this sub made me aware of it. Namely @Darth Guy who was probably always annoyed that when we'd hang out and watch movies or shows together, I'd turn the subs off :p

I made the poll to find out if there were lots others like him. Evidently there are.

As for me, I don't even use subs for games. Only for foreign language movies, where the only time I'll accept dubs is if it's animation.

Coruscant likes this.
  11. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    To be fair, I played up my preference for subtitles to annoy you.

Thanks to this poll, I now know there are dozens of us. Dozens!

Rew, Master_Lok, Count Yubnub and 2 others like this.
  12. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Glad we could mutually aim to annoy each other. We're both such good friends.

Master_Lok, Coruscant and Darth Guy like this.
  13. Kiki Jinn

Kiki Jinn Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 21, 2020
    Took me a while to get used to it but definitely on. Now it annoys me if they’re not on.

Master_Lok and Jedi Ben like this.
  14. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    That's my game, I find with subs on it basically "spoilers" the dialogue in advance cuz you can read it (and with any sub films you spend time reading the subs and may miss visual information)

I can understand the reasoning to keep subs on. People mumble so dang much in modern TV and movies hahahah PATHOS. This is why I watch a lot of Star Trek. Those people enunciate!

I don't know why videogames default to subs on for pretty much every game, I always turn those off too. As mentioned, you're trying to pick up visual information, especially when playing a game, the subs would also throw me out of the immersion.

Actually, I have a very OCD system if I miss a bit of dialogue. I pause, I rewind, play it again. Nope, still didn't catch it. Rewind again, turn on subs. "Ah, he said 'boat'". then turn the subs off. Sometimes it takes me awhile to watch something.

live TV broadcasts? Ah, just gotta roll without subs, oh well.

15. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    The worst spoiler subs I've ever seen were in Spectre.

At an early point in the film, Blofeld turns up, but we're not supposed to know it's Blofeld, but no one told the sub crew that, as the on-screen sub starts off with: "BLOFELD:". Hell of a clanger.

16. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    One of my favourite blunders was in an episode of The Wire where Daniels says "Marla once told me 'you cannot lose if you do not play'" but the DVD's subtitle said Marlo.

Rew, solojones and Jedi Ben like this.
  17. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Speaking of subtitles, not sure if this was talked about in the Wandavision thread, but I watched a YouTube video that showed one of the trailers to the show clearly says, "Dreaming (as opposed to Streaming) on Disney Plus January 15th".

Juliet316 likes this.
  18. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    The best auto-gen sub howler I've seen was a BBC one: "George VI's podcast".

Sarge and Rogue1-and-a-half like this.
  19. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    You know, I think that's even worse in comedies than in dramas. I mean, comedy is all in the timing they say, which is why it's not great to read the entire punchline when the actor is half a line into the set-up.

I am also surprised to see it so evenly split.

Sarge and solojones like this.
  20. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Off for English and Italian, my mother tongues.

On for Spanish, my second language.

And obviously on for languages I don’t understand at all.

Master_Lok likes this.
  21. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    I mean, It can be funny to see what the subtitles and close captioning screw up from what the dialogue is supposed to say.

Master_Lok and Kenneth Morgan like this.
  22. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    Always on, in either English for English movies/TV programmes/games (native English speaker) and Japanese for Japanese stuff (fluent at speaking but can never really overcome the fact there are just too many damn kanji). Apart from on Amazon Prime where for some reason in Japan there only exists the option to add subs in Japanese or Spanish. For other languages pretty much English subs. Not hearing impaired at all, I just prefer reading to watching and I can't read body language anyway so why bother.

23. Arwen Sith

Arwen Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    Usually on. I have minor hearing loss that bugs me enough that I can't always catch dialog. I'm also a fast reader and I don't find that I need to focus on the text, I just skim it and look at the actors' faces.

24. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Off, I don't like spoilers.

Arwen Sith and Rogue1-and-a-half like this.
  25. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Does anybody else have trouble turning sub-titles off with Amazon Prime? When I watch The Expanse, I always get German subtitles for any text that appears on screen, even though I'm watching in English. Never see any subs for dialog though. I've double-checked that they're turned off but they're always there. And they never show up for anything but The Expanse. Is it a protomolecule glitch? :confused: