main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Subtitles in your native language: on or off?

Discussion in 'Community' started by solojones, Jan 18, 2021.

?

Do you watch TV shows and movies in your native language with subtitles on?

1. Subtitles on

52.5%
  2. Subtitles off

47.5%
  1. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    I usually have them on. They keep me from cranking up the volume too high, and help if the dialogue is difficult to understand. However, if the station I'm watching provides absolutely awful titles (out of synch with the action, heavily inaccurate), I'll switch them off.

Rew and Juliet316 like this.
  2. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I haven't put Closed Caption/subtitles on with Prime, but I got that the other day with YouTube when they put Dutch Closed Captioning on an US Video.

3. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Not sure if this is connected in any way or not, but I also know people who use headphones for games, but do not with movies or television. That one is also kind of baffling to me.

4. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Audio cues can be really important in games. For like pretty much any shooter it's important to hear, for example, enemy footsteps and from what direction they're coming from.

5. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Oh, that makes total sense. We may have just discovered why I'm bad at games. :p

6. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Always on for movies and TV shows played via streaming or Blu-ray/DVD.

For broadcast/cable TV, usually off by default, but if I find it difficult to hear dialogue without cranking the volume up so loud that the commercials blow my eardrums out, then I turn the closed captioning on and leave it on. Sometimes if I know I'm watching something that is likely to have quiet scenes without sufficient baked-in subtitles (Survivor was a notorious example of this when I used to watch it), I'll turn the closed captioning on by default.

However, I never, ever turn closed captioning on for anything that is broadcast live, because the captions in that case lag behind the audio by several seconds and are often inaccurate and/or full of typos, and it ends up being more distracting than helpful.

As to the question of why, I like subtitles/closed captions because I'm easily distracted. Often times, a piece of dialogue causes my mind to wander, and when my mind wanders, I essentially become deaf briefly. But I can still follow the action with my eyes, and so captions ensure that I don't miss anything important and help me stay focused and snap back to reality more quickly. Also, I have slight hearing problems, in that when multiple sounds are competing for my attention (which can be dialogue, music, someone talking in the hallway outside my apartment, the bag of potato chips I'm munching on, etc.), I'm unable to single out one to focus on. So when the dialogue blends in with other sounds, captions ensure that I can still follow along and not miss anything.

7. JediYvette

JediYvette Pacific RSA emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 18, 2001
    I have them on. My hearing isn't as amazing as it once was, and throw in ambient sound, and I'm stuffed without them.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  8. Arwen Sith

Arwen Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    I'll add that I'll switch them off if the subtitles diverge too much from the actual dialog, like the 3rd season of Star Wars Rebels.

9. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    So for those of you who do subtitles I must ask... What do you do when you see movies in theatres? Have any of you ever used the descriptive devices?

10. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    Nah, I just watch it as normal. Subtitles for me are just a preference. They're not absolutely mandatory.

Juliet316, Rew and Darth Guy like this.
  11. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I don't normally, but if I ever do a rewatch of Tenet, I'm going to have to use subtitles.

12. Sauntaero

Sauntaero Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 9, 2003
    Only for foreign languages. Including foreign-language dubs of English-speaking shows, which brings an entirely new level of hilarity when they don't match up. But I find them distracting in either case. I'd prefer to just watch, or just listen.

Sarge likes this.
  13. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    For non-foreign films, I always have them off, unless I can't make out a particular line due a heavy accent or sound mix. If they're on, my eyes are always drawn down to the bottom of the screen to read them even when I can clearly hear what they're saying, which kinda takes me out of the situation if I'm meant to focus on a character's face/expressions or the beauty of an environment.

I would make an exception for rewatching Tenet, but not being able to understand 75% of the dialogue was a (terrible) sound mix choice/issue, so it's kind of the same rule at play even there.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
  14. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    Even with subtitles on for Tenet they didn't do a whole lot to make the movie better.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  15. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I do watch a lot of foreign films, and I'll watch them subtitled in the original language. Something like 2018's Cold War would come off as a farce if it was dubbed.

16. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I notice the lack on a rare trip to the flicks, but the volume tends to compensate well. Have spotted some are audio description but haven't tried it and it could be some time before I ever do now.

For the most part, I tend to wait for the BR. Or now, in select cases, UHD.

Master_Lok likes this.
  17. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Haven't consumed many things with subtitles in my native language for a while, but I do tend to turn on English subtitles on Netflix etc. Not sure why, I don't actually need them. But it is a) habit, b) TV doesn't need to be very lound, c) with sci-fi & fantasy shows I want to know how to spell names.

Rew likes this.
  18. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I useď to use subtitles all the time, but my vision is now pretty terrible, so they're useless now.