main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Succession (A Clone Wars Era AU)A Note to My Readers(3/22/06)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by GunraysLawyer, Aug 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Lex

Darth_Lex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2002
    Whoops! Could've sworn I'd replied to this. [face_blush]

You sure know how to start off with a bang! :eek: I had thought we might see a bit more of Ge-Harza before his inevitable demise. (Aside from TAF, the title of this story sort of gave it away. :p ) Instead you throw us straight into the aftermath. Great idea! ;)

The political ramifications of this incident seem potentially very complex. In particular, I wonder how Ivo will have to address the implications of his father's (supposed) treason. [face_thinking]

So Dooku loses a second former Padawan... I wonder if this will trigger an AU path for the Count, or if we'll still end up on a mostly ROTS-bound trajectory? (Don't really expect an answer to that, should it be spoilerish for this story. ;) )

Looking forward to more, and good luck with DRL.

2. obsessedwithSW

obsessedwithSW Jedi Master star 4

May 24, 2005
    Hey its the 29 th where are you? Up please!

3. GunraysLawyer

GunraysLawyer Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2003
    Well, as real life has become suddenly even more arduous, I feel compelled to tell you all that it will likely be sometime after the holiday weekend in the States before the next part is up....

Sorry.

4. obsessedwithSW

May 24, 2005
    No problem have a great labor day weekend. I hope you get some rest you sound like you need some.

5. GunraysLawyer

May 23, 2003
    Finally, Chapter 2

Chapter 2 ??Before the Storm.?

North Dunlind AeroSpace Defense Base, 1123 hrs, Capital Region Summer Time (CRST)

Ivo had tried not to make his presence a distraction to the Aerospace Force airmen and officers, but he knew that it was. He may not be a flyer, and as an army Major, he might not outrank the Wing Commander in charge of the base or any of the Group Commanders, but he was the Duke of Dunlind, heir to the protectorate and final civil and military executive authority for the entire Duchy. Unlike the Army or the Starfleet, most of these officers and men were commoners, local gentry at best. The appearance of a noble, let alone the area?s liege lord was clearly unnerving to some of them.

Those who were even easier to read, such as the 3321st Interceptor Squadron?s commander, were astounded that he had come personally to await the arrive of a friend from off-world.

They?d be more astounded if they knew that he was a Jedi.

Ivo?s thoughts were interrupted by one of the Flight Control officer?s reporting that a single Jedi Eta-2 Actis type fighter had been granted final clearance to land at the Base landing area?s eastern-most platforms.

To Ivo?s left, the 3321st?s commander snorted, ?At least we?ll see if these new Jedi fighters are as ugly as the Starboys say.?

Ivo laughed softly to himself, as he thought, It?s not like the OI-27 Hellfire is that pretty an aerospace fighter?Pulling himself together, Ivo left the air control center and walked down the hallway toward the Eastern quadrant of landing platforms.

-------------------------------------------------

The Castle of Dunlindia, The Gardens, 1127 hrs, CRST

?Well, what do you think?? Dormé Lady Arzhan, Duchess of Dunlind asked her friend, Padmé Skywalker, with some trepidation.

?He?he had this done for you in a week?? Padmé asked seeming astonished at the perfect grove of shurra fruit trees with blue, Lake country shade rose bushes growing at their bases.

?Well, it was about ten days, but yes, he had it done, because he thought that it would ease my bout of homesickness.?

?But, Dormé, during a war?using off-world plants?it must have cost a fortune, and been incredibly difficult to make happen.?

?Senator,? Dormé began with a smile, ?you underestimate three things: the amount of money that the Duchy produces; the amount of day-to-day power that Ivo has, if he chooses to use it; and how well he understands me. I never told him that I was homesick. He just knew. Besides, I think that pleasing me took his mind off of some things that were bothering him.?

Padmé smiled, and replied, ?No one who has seen the two of you together has ever underestimated your almost supernatural insight into each other, Dormé. I?d be surprised if you had had to say it. As a friend has said to me, the Force works in mysterious ways. You two may be the most perfectly attuned couples that I?ve ever met. So, did it work??

Dormé turned slightly away from her friend, and looked through the shurra trees toward the sound of the waves in the firth striking the beach at the base of the bluff. Sighing, she said, ?For me, it worked. It gives me a place to center myself when I miss home. Kalinda is wonderful, and Dunlind is truly beautiful, but sometimes, I just need to be reminded of where I grew up. He even modeled the grove on the one outside the conservatory at my parents? home. Did it take Ivo?s mind off things? I am not sure. He still thinks about the four months on Tersaylo frequently, even if he doesn?t talk about them.?

?I?m surprised that he survived Tersaylo at all. I mean, by the end, wasn?t he the only company commander in his battalion alive and unwounded??

Turning back to Padmé, Dormé said, ?Yes. In fact, for the last week of the operation he was acting Battalion Commander. But it?s not the bloodiness of campaign that he?s thinking about. He?s actually said that a number of places that he?d fought as a teenager were worse. He says it?s the se

6. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    First Reply? Wheee

I have to point out how clever it was to have Anakin slip in that line about the ship- very amusing. Are you refering to that yellow thing he was flying in EpIII or a different ship?

As for my previous comment- I was too much in shock to say anything coherent, so I guess you would say I meant something like I can't believe he just did that!

7. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    I've been busier than (pick your over used medaphor :p ) but I didn't want to let much more time pass before I checked in...

As I eagerly awake every chapter, I find it especially interesting to see the change in Dorme'... her attitude has taken a decided shift hasn't it? o_O (that's not a crit - indeed it's a very realistic and logical shift - Well done!)

I wonder what will happen when Ivo gets Teh News.... [face_worried]

8. NinjaSkywalker

NinjaSkywalker Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 12, 2003
    Great Post GL...

Wouldn't Ivo have sensed his father's death?

And I have a feeling this party may turn out a bit ugly with what's happening...

Matt

9. Errine23

Errine23 Jedi Knight star 1

May 18, 2005
    <eyes wide>

The plot thickens.

I like how you have the family on edge. :) They KNOW something is up.

I also like how Dorme has matured...but that she is still friends with Padme.

I can't wait for the next chapter!

10. geo3

geo3 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    It really is nice to be settling back into a new Ivo story!

I commented in my last post that, given the circumstances of Ghe-Harza's death, Sidious must be one very happy Sith Lord. Now I'm changing my mind. With Ivo in charge, the Kalindians might be the ones to call out Sidious...I mean Palpatine... on the way he's running the war, eh? And we all know just how stubborn Ivo can get when he believes he is right.

I really liked the brief scene with Ivo waiting for, and greeting, Anakin. It all seemed so genuine, down to the mutual ribbing obout the ships.

As for whether Ivo might have "sensed" his father's death - who says he didn't, on some level? The mere fact that he and his mother were visibly upset about something at breakfast speaks volumes, considering how proficient they both are at putting on a social face. I'm betting that Ivo knows more than he is letting on.

11. GunraysLawyer

May 23, 2003
    Just a quick note as I bask in the afterglow of this afternoon's college football win for the good guys (i.e. ND 17 Michigan 10)...

Replies either tomorrow night EDT or monday morning, and a new post...the big one...sometime early in the week.

So, stragglers, you still have time.

Oh, and given the ND score, and the Iowa-Iowa State game, it's been a helluva day in the world of College Football.

12. MissPadme

MissPadme Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 9, 1998
    Anakin quotes another Han Solo line :D.

Interesting to see that Dormé's world view has changed since living among the Kalindians. No more of that pacifistic Naboo stuff for her ;).

Poor Ivo, he's about to get some shocking news [face_shocked].

--MissPadme

13. qingauk

qingauk Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 2002
    I finally got to read this post and what a fun filled chapt..so much to take in.. sad that Ivo has not got the word yet to spoil the event but I expect that is upcoming!!

14. GunraysLawyer

May 23, 2003
    Time for replies....

Darth_lex--- Yes, I do like to start things off extravagantly at times.

Also, the political ramifications may not be what you think, but they will be extreme.

PadawanKitara--- OK, I now understand the "What" thing. :)

Thank you for liking the Anakin line. I thought that it was appropriate. Oh, and yes, I am talking about the Episode III fighter. You know, the ugly one.

DarthBreezy--- Thank you so much for eagerly awaiting every chapter. Loyal readers are a wonderful thing.

As to Dorme's attitude, I don't think that it has really changed that much. However, she clearly is not a doctrainairly pacifist Naboo.

As to your question...an answer comes soon.

NinjaSkywalker--- Thanks, and the answer to your question is maybe, you'll have to wait and see. Though, I have dropped hints. ;)

Errine23--- Yes, the plot does thicken. I hope that you'll be satisfied with where it leads.

Geo3--- It really is nice to be settling back into a new Ivo story!

Thank you, and it's fun to be in the midst of writing one.

The political fallout of this will be interesting, complicated, and not quite what anyone expects....

I am glad that you enjoyed the Anakin/Ivo scene. I really wasn't certain how it read.

As to your last paragraph, more in the next couple of posts.

MissPadme--- Anakin quotes another Han Solo line

Yes, but given that Solo is likely about 10 at this point, is it actually Han channelling Anakin in ANH? :) [face_laugh]

Yes, Ivo is about to get some bad news.... :(

Qingauk--- Welcome back. I hope that the first few days of school has gone well.

Your expectation is correct.

Ok, NEXT POST; Chapter 3 "Deluge" will arrive tomorrow am. A teaser:

Ivo spoke. In a calm, direct, but not urgent voice, he simply asked, ?Lash, what?s wrong??

Ivo gave no preamble to the question. He evidenced no sense of hurt or confusion at Lash?s failure to react to his greeting. Ivo just asked a simple question. It unnerved Anakin nearly to his core, because accompanying the question in the Force was a profound sense of dread. It was carefully shielded, but it was there.

More on the morrow!!!

15. Arriss

Arriss Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2002
    Like Breezy I?ve been quite busy in DRL so my net time has been cut dramatically. I?ll do my best to keep up though.

Ahh, Anakin returns? [face_love] Ok, sorry, I?ll stop? :D

As MissPadme notes, Dormé?s attitude has certainly changed but it fits in w/her husband?s role and beliefs. War is never an alternative people want but there are times it can?t be avoided. I like the exchange between Dormé and Padmé ? it?s open, even comfortable. Dormé is no longer a handmaiden and doesn?t have to hold back w/Padmé. Not that she didn?t spout off to her former ?boss? from time to time. :p Ivo?s love and generosity for his wife is evident as he tries to help her adjust to Kalinda more easily. [face_love]

Lani is almost 8 months preggers? :eek: Wow, that?s fast work. ;) From what happened to the Protector I have no doubt that Lianna felt his passing through their bond or at the very least his pain. I?d bet she knows something is terribly wrong.

It?s good to see Ivo and Anakin together again and in such good spirits (for now). Too bad Ivo is in for a very startling, not to mention devastating, communiqué. :_| At least Dormé will be there to give him support.

and a prisoner?a fourteen year-old girl?

:eek: 14 yr old girl? Oh boy? Poor Heinskarso ? he?s devastated and not functioning very well, which is understandable. :_|

Very good post! Looking forward to the next installment. :)

16. GunraysLawyer

May 23, 2003
    And now, a new post.....

Chapter 3 Deluge

The Castle of Dunlindia, East Wing, Main Hallway, 1203 hrs, CRST

Captain Corlashilon Arkodda of the LifeGuard was barely maintaining his calm as he quickly strode the hallways of the Castle. His mind rebelled against the situation in which he found himself. He glanced down at the datapad in his right hand as if it was cursed.

Perhaps, it is. Gods, it cannot be worse? things can?t be worse than this, can they?

He turned the corner from the East wing into the Central. The Library was only a short distance away.

I think I could tell Ivo without a problem if he was alone. But Gods, what about his mother? How can I tell him in front of her? Why did I have to volunteer to take the command duty office position for this morning at the Comm. Center? Was I that bored, because Gari hadn?t arrived here yet? If I?d expected this, I?d have walked in the woods or gone hunting all morning.

Two Indoni Rifleman stood at either side of the Library door. They looked casually placed, but he knew that their rifles were charged and their axes, sharp. They would put up a ferocious fight against anyone who tried to harm Ivo.

Maybe I should have gone to get Dormé myself and let Lieutenant Arhantia deliver this news? No, it?s better they all hear from an old friend.

---------------------------

The Castle of Dunlindia, The Library, 1205 hrs, CRST

Anakin was uncomfortable, and expending a great deal of effort to try to hide it.

It wasn?t that, from the moment he had entered the Library, Ivo?s family and friends had surrounded him; Anakin had been around most of them before. In fact, the young blond woman, who was only slightly taller than Padmé, was the only person that he had never met before. They had questioned him with good-natured interest. They were even polite enough to keep the conversation in Basic. Anakin?s miniature translator hadn?t even turned on, and his conversational Kalinadian skills weren?t being stressed by the speed of the conversation. No, Anakin?s discomfort was not generated by anything that these people had done. It was something else.

There was an undercurrent in the Force. As far as Anakin could sense, an atmosphere of unease hung over the Arzhans and among those in the room who perceived the family?s discomfort.

Anakin glanced at Ivo, who was standing in the center of the room, being told by his sister that Dormé and the Senator, as they called Padmé, were in the Garden, and would meet the group at the Lunch table on the west patio. Ivo?s well-hidden unease peeked out from under his shields.

Force, what is going on here? It?s clear that he feels something isn?t right, but what is it?

At about that moment, the double doors from the Library to the main hallway opened. Anakin turned toward them, along with most other people in the room, to seen the brilliantly red-haired Corlashilon Arkodda walk slowly through them. Anakin had only met Arkodda once or twice, and vaguely remembered that he was Ivo?s cousin, and renowned for his verbal charm.

Out of the corner of his eye, Anakin saw Ivo smile.

Then Ivo?s voice lilted out in Kalinadian, ?Lash, I thought we?d see you at the patio. I?m glad that you were able to get away sooner.?

Anakin felt his stomach flip as he noticed that Lash?s reaction was to continue to walk into the room with a slight grimace.

----------------------------------

The Central Arc, Gardens of Dunlindia, 1207 hrs, CRST

Two young, brunette women, one short and one of medium height, stood taking in the vast seaward expanse of the Garden from its central arc. The shorter woman was moved to speak.

?This really is marvelous, Dormé. It?s very different, but in it?s own way, it?s as impressive as the Palace Gardens back home. I never thought I?d see as wonderful a garden,? Padmé said sincerely.

?On behalf of the grounds staff, and a number of dead Dukes and Duchesses, I thank you.? Dormé replied w

17. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Ha! First!

And I can say the infamous, very applicable lines......

"I have a baaaaaaad feeling about this..."

And from the very start, Ivo has the foresight to protect Anakin..

Pausing in order to turn to Anakin, he continued in Basic, ?Anakin, I?d advise you to find some civilian clothes. Given events, I think that Jedi are going to be rather unpopular with the masses.?

Well done

18. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    AACK! I missed an update! Angst is right! Wow! Now I need funny fluff! But beautifully done as always!

19. Errine23

Errine23 Jedi Knight star 1

May 18, 2005
    OH wow!

Wonderful chapter. Simply wonderful. I'm going to be on the edge of my seat until the next chapter is up.

:D

20. qingauk

qingauk Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 2002
    OMG you could cut the tension with a knife. I was on the edge of my seat for that whole chapter.. incredible..outdoing yourself with that one sir.. good thoughts on the change of clothes for Anakin and interesting to have adjoining rooms.. sad that the Jedi get falsely blamed.. very bad and very sad.

21. obsessedwithSW

May 24, 2005
    excellent post! The tension was palatable. IT will be interesting to hear Anakin's views on the Jedi's role in Ivo's father's death. Hopefully Ivo's training will help him from making irrational decisions at this emotional time.I know it will definitely have a permanent influence on long term choices that he will make in serving the empire. Can't wait for more!

22. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Great job on the buildup - the way you kept diverting attention away from the actual death, describing how people were milling around, how they reacted to the demeanor of the one delivering the news.

Loved how Ivo acted once he realized that his father was dead - very military, very royal. And poor Anakin being told to get into civilian gear.

Great job as always.

23. geo3

geo3 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    Oh, Ivo, Ivo; my heart breaks for him, but I can't help once again admiring his personal courage, his decisiveness, and his unfailing awareness of the feelings of others. What a remakable combination. No wonder I adore him. But you have made it abundantly clear that only Dorme can provide him with the support he needs while he supports so many others, so I will graciously allow her to have him! :D

I thought it was interesting that you showed most of this scene through the eyes of Jedi padawan Anakin Skywalker. His perceptive yet slightly distanced observations gave it that much more poignancy, I thought.

The scene in which everyone is moveing except Dorme and Ivo reminded me of one of may favorite movie scenes of all time - in Terry Gilliam's "The Fisher King," two lovers waltz through Gand Central Station at rush hour, as time stops, the people around them become motionless, and the only two people that exist are the two dancers. Your scene is the opposite image of that, but I had the same sense of timelessness and total understanding and awareness between the lovers. And all that with just a sketch! Well done, my friend.

Let's give Ivo little time to breathe and to grieve, and then I'd like to see him go out and put the Galaxy to rights, please...

24. MissPadme

MissPadme Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 9, 1998
    Re Han channeling Anakin, you might be right ;)!

Ivo took over his new role rather well. Even though a Jedi is responsible for his father's death, he still is Anakin's friend. I still think this will play a role in how Ivo remains Vader's friend years later.

--MissPadme

25. NamelessAlien

NamelessAlien Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 25, 1999
    *Sniffles* This was really great. My heart goes out for Lianna - and, of course, everybody else too but I think for her the most.

Do you have a website for all those characters, with a Who's Who and pics of the actors you've chosen for them? If not, you should create one. In each chapter I find myself wondering who was this or that and how was he/she related to whom.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.