main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Succession (A Clone Wars Era AU)A Note to My Readers(3/22/06)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by GunraysLawyer, Aug 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rocketscientist

rocketscientist Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 16, 2005
    Hi! Glad to have found some of old friends!

Gunrayslawyer
    So this is where you hang out. Nice digs. I have only just gotten finished reading your prologue, so clearly I have some catching up to do. It has me very excited about yet another universe to delve into! As I was bewailing somewhere else, there is just too much good fiction around here. By the time I get through someone's wonderful world of SW, I find 5 more. Reading is such sweet sorrow - or something like that....

I can tell by the prologue that I am going to enjoy your writting style - concise, detailed, and lively.

More soon(got some reading to do)

2. GunraysLawyer

GunraysLawyer Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2003
    NEW POST....Those of you who responded are getting PMs...Be prepared to hear what Kalinadian general opinion really thinks of the Jedi....

Chapter 5 Statements and Ceremonies : Part I Statements

Kalinda, Duchy of Dunlind, Castle of Dunlindia, 0746 hrs.

Dormé yawned as she walked down the third floor corridor trying to steel herself not to be embarrassed by Anakin?s presence in Padmé?s rooms.

She had known that Padmé and Anakin were lovers since shortly after Geonosis. It had not been all that difficult to figure out. But the news of the marriage had surprised Dormé when Padmé had whispered it to her at the wedding reception. If anything, that should have eliminated the embarrassment, or at least reduced it, but Dormé still knew that she would be embarrassed.

Dormé?s line of thought drifted off into oblivion as she found herself in front of Padmé?s doorway. She yawned again.

Well, here it goes, she thought as she pushed the door buzzer.

When no response came after a minute or so, Dormé thumbed the button again. About 30 seconds later, the door slid open.

Padmé stood in the doorway looking very sleepy and wearing little more than a shimmer silk robe. Dormé felt her cheeks begin to heat up slightly. It was Padmé?s turn to look slightly embarassed. I?d better say something?and it had better not be about looking tired.

?Padmé?Good Morning, Ivo and I would like you and Anakin to join us in Ivo?s study.?

Padmé?s looked more than a little confused. ?Breakfast? In his study??

Dormé forced herself to look into Padmé?s eyes rather than at the tall young man who was just visible across the room in the bedroom doorway, and said, ?No, not for breakfast?Events have outpaced us. The Commonwealth?s response to the situation has already been sent to Coruscant on the back of the Holonet signal. It was sent some hours early, and in perhaps blunter language than originally intended. It may have already been read to the Senate. Ivo and I want to give you and Anakin the opportunity to read it before you?re confronted with it officially. If you could be there in a half an hour or so, it would be appreciated.?

Dormé could see Padmé?s years of training and experience power the circuits behind her eyes. Quickly, Padmé asked, ?What events??

Despite herself, Dormé yawned before she said, ?The Republic?s Embassy was nearly stormed and burned to the ground late last night during anti-Jedi demonstrations.?

Padmé inhaled sharply and said, ?We?ll be there.?

?Very good, then. The study is off the library through the door to the left of the north fireplace. That is the one with the portrait of his Grandmother over it. We?ll see you then.?

?Yes,? Padmé replied with the almost serene forced calm for which Dormé knew her to be justly famous.

With a smile and a nod, Dormé turned and began to walk back the way that she had come. As two housemaids curtsied to her, she yawned yet again.

--------------------------------------------------

Coruscant, The Supreme Chancellor?s Office, 1548 hrs, Coruscant Mean Time.

Palpatine read through the Commonwealth?s statement for a third time, and found that he could not help smiling. It was more than he could have hoped for: it was stern, hard-edged, marvelously draconian, meaningful. It feed into all of the whispered criticisms of the Jedi order; and most importantly, it was quick.

The destruction of the Jedi would begin with the reading to the Senate of the Kalinadians? angry condemnation of the Order.

One shouldn?t draft such things when angry or upset. They?ll always turn out saying more than you wish. Of course, Kalinadians are Kalinadians. And having suffered near riots overnight does lead to faster action.

Amedda buzzed him to tell him that the Senate was almost ready for his presence. Palpatine smiled again, and thought, Ge-Harza did you really mean to destroy the Jedi when you leapt in front of my traitorous apprentice? Did you really think th

3. NinjaSkywalker

NinjaSkywalker Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 12, 2003
    Wow....no words can really describe that post...just wow.

Speechless...

Matt

4. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    I expected something along the lines of a declaration of war against the jedi, but not an outright condemnation of the Order. Very powerful.

5. obsessedwithSW

obsessedwithSW Jedi Master star 4

May 24, 2005
    Ivo's declaration couldnt have furthered palpatine's goals more. Palpy has got to be besides himself with joy with the chain of events. I'd really hate to be a Jedi right about now. I feel sorry for the captured Jedi, they will execute her. The Jedi order will not turn over the other Jedi and that will put the Jedi in an even worse position, if that is possible, than before. What does Anakin decide?
    Im asuming that he does not leave the order because we all know that things do not turn out well in the end for Anakin and Pademe.
    Well, I guess I'll have to wait to the next post to find out.
    GunraysLawyer I'm really enjoying your story. Thanks.
    Let me know when you post the new story in the Beyond the Saga boards I'd like to read it and I don't go there very often.

6. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Quite wonderful. I loved the way this has progressed. Ivo's condemnation of the Jedi is both logical and heartfelt and completely in keeping with both your previous story and the one that comes after that. I loved that Ivo gave Padme and Anakin the declaration before it hit the press. Loved the way the Jedi and the Kalindians worked perfectly together in their various ways to bring down the Order and run right into Palpatine's hands.

Bravo. This is wonderful and very rich!

7. Arriss

Arriss Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2002
    I second Diane's post. Excellent!!

I thought I asked to be on the PM list? :oops: Can you go ahead and put me on it?

8. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    Oh! my...

The proton torpedo has been dropped, so to speak.

The Jedi are in deep poodoo this time.

MTFBWY,

Lauré :)

9. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Go pray?meditate? on it, and see if the Force gives you the same answer that the Gods have given me.?

:_|:_|

The begining of the end....

10. GunraysLawyer

May 23, 2003
    A question for my readers: Replies before or after Christmas?

N.B. the next post won't be until after, perhaps even in early 1/06 due to various holiday time commitements.

11. obsessedwithSW

May 24, 2005
    before please!

12. GunraysLawyer

May 23, 2003
    And so, replies before Christmas....

NinjaSkywalker--- Wow, I've rendered someone speechless...I am not quite sure that I've ever done that on teh boards before.

PadawanKitara--- Thank you, and I am glad that I can still surprise a loyal reader.

obsessedwithstarwars--- First, worry not, your questions will be answered.

Oh, and the condemnation of the Order is a mix of pragmatic frustration and honest, unedited Kalinadian thought on the Jedi (particularly the 'Jedi Heresey' portion').

dianethx--- Thank you, and writing makes me recall that I need to add a reply on 'Betrayal'.

Oddly, Palpatine may be disappointed in certain future Kalinadian actions, but not in the rather predictable reaction of the Jedi Council concerning handing over the escaped Jedi.

Arriss--- Thanks, and I will put you on the PM list.

laurethiel1138--- Yes, it has dropped, the only question is how long before the roof caves in totally.

DarthBreezy--- All I can say is, "Yup."

13. GunraysLawyer

May 23, 2003
    Now, I give you my traditional Christmas Post...

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you all!

All right, I leave you all with a piece of Midnight Mass in the Roman Catholic Church which I have always loved...I do it for two reasons:

1)That it gives a religious insight as to what the Solemnity of Christmas is all about; and

2)it plays a neat historical/cultural trick with intergration of societies (see if you can find it)

Note: this was put into this form in approx. AD 1582, and the dates are based on then current understandings...

In the twenty-fourth day of the month of December;

In the year five-thousand one-hundred and ninety-nine from the creation of the world, when in the beginning God created the heavens and the earth;

In the year two-thousand nine-hundred and fifty-seven from the flood;

In the year two-thousand and fifty-one from the birth of Abraham;

In the year one-thousand five-hundred and ten from the going forth of the people of Israel out of Egypt under Moses;

In the year one-thousand and thirty-two from the anointing of David as king;

In the sixty-fifth week according to the prophecy of Daniel;

In the one-hundred and ninety-fourth Olympiad;

In the year seven-hundred and fifty-two from the foundation of the city of Rome;

In the forty-second year of the reign of the Emperor Octavian Augustus;

In the sixth age of the world, while the whole earth was at peace? JESUS CHRIST eternal God and the Son of the eternal Father, willing to consecrate the world by His gracious coming, having been conceived of the Holy Ghost, and the nine months of His conception being now accomplished, (all kneel) was born in Bethlehem of Judah of the Virgin Mary, made man. The birthday of our Lord Jesus Christ, according to the flesh.

14. GunraysLawyer

May 23, 2003
    Just a quick note to my readers, next post will be the last or second to last, depending on how long it goes.

However, it won't be till after the New Year begins. See you in A.D. 2006.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!![face_dancing]

15. jedi-isis

jedi-isis Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 11, 2005
    GunraysLawyer,
    I have been trying to complete your entire Ivoverse before posting but I could not resist this last chapter to Succession.(sorry, I cheated :p)I am just on Chapter 13, Part IV of Soul of Love and Braveryand am out of context. However,I am having the time of my reading life enjoying the adventures of that swashbuckler Arzhan.[face_batting] My only bone of contention is the death of Ge-Harza. Ivo's father was a pearl of great price and I found him an extremely canny and astute ruler. His passing is a blow that I will carry through the remainder of my perusing. I probably should have waited but you know, the curious cat....
    Finally, your Christmas wish has already been read since 2003 and to a fellow Roman Catholic, inspiring. However, I am not very good as historical riddles but I could pick up the years of several different nations and empires, Chinese, Greek, Roman, Western, Jewish but the rest, you have me.[face_hypnotized]
    Well, I will continue where I left off.....Naboo! and thank you for the experience of your Ivo.=D=

16. GunraysLawyer

May 23, 2003
    jedi-isis--- All I can say is sometimes shocking things happen, even in my stories. ;)

I think the whole thing may make more sense once you finish SL&B...

However, you are completely correct in saying that the Kalinadian Commonwealth has lost a wise and capable ruler in Ge-Harza the First or as he was to have reigned, Valaians the Seventh. He will be known to Kalinadian History as Ge-Harza the Wise, second in the fairly remarkable Arzhan-Dunlind branch of the Dynasty (the first one hundred or so years of which will be consumed by the rerigns of Brenkal IV [the Brave], Ge-Harza I [the wise], and Kisavalivo IV [the Bold, posthumously the Great]).

As to the calans of Christmas, the wonderful historical trick is the nearly seamless interweaving of Hebrew (the references to Abraham, David, Soloman), Greek (the 194th Olympiad), and Roman (753 years after the foundation of Rome and the 42nd year of teh reign of Octavian Augustus) dating systems.

You have to give it to Renaissance Catholic Monks and Friars, the thought big...

17. geo3

geo3 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    Re-reading your last post, I was struck with a deep sense of melancholy from the moment I read the words: ?Events have outpaced us.? It only deepened when we slipped inside of Palpatine thoughts for a moment:

It was more than he could have hoped for: it was stern, hard-edged, marvelously draconian, meaningful. It feed into all of the whispered criticisms of the Jedi order; and most importantly, it was quick.

The destruction of the Jedi would begin with the reading to the Senate of the Kalinadians? angry condemnation of the Order.

The death of Ghe-Harza the Wise was essential for Palpatine?s plans to move ahead, wasn?t it? The Jedi may have had their faults, but I don?t think they deserved Ivo?s full invective. A thousand years of peace? surely that is something meaningful. But it seems that none of the players in this tale ? not Dooku, nor the Jedi, nor Ivo and the other Kalinadians, nor the Naboo and the other members of the Galactic Senate - had as much of a grasp on the fine line between independent action and playing into the plans and schemes of others as Ghe-Harza had. And now he is gone. And the dark times begin, and will remain, until the Sith get the blame that THEY are due?

18. GunraysLawyer

May 23, 2003
    After a work/real life enforced abscence, I'm here to say....

There should be a new post in the early part of the week!

Oh, and thanks for the noms.

19. Darth-Buddy

Darth-Buddy Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 18, 2005
    Great post. I love your character Ivo, I hope he wins an award.

20. GunraysLawyer

May 23, 2003
    The next bit went to my most esteemed beta last night...

21. GunraysLawyer

May 23, 2003
    Yes, finally, a new post....Well an interlude actually

Chapter 5 Statements and Ceremonies

INTERLUDE

The Hill Fort Palace, Desdarni, County of Dendari, Capital of the Commonwealth of Kalinda, 0852 hrs

Looking at her reflection in the long mirror in the Protectrix?s dressing room, Dormé became lost in slightly disgruntled thought.

I hate this dress. It?s too heavy to move about in easily, and while I?m sure Ivo might enjoy the visual effects of the corseted bodice, I certainly don?t enjoy the non-visual ones.

?Milady, you look stunning,? said a familiar voice from behind Dormé. Turning, Dormé smiled and said, ?Thank you, Jelya. I didn?t realize that you were there.?

?I wasn?t until a few moments ago. I just thought that I should check on you. Yeltraisis, your dresser, said that you?d dismissed her and her assistants.?

Dormé raised an eyebrow and studied her near-doppelganger. Jeyla was slightly shorter than Dormé and her hair was dark blond rather than deep brunette, but otherwise, they might, to an unfamiliar eye, pass for each other. At a glance, Dormé knew that the girl was nervous. ?So, the staff is checking up on me now??

?No, Milady, but Anselian thought that you might need something.?

Dormé sighed. They?re all nervous. They don?t know where they will fit in any more. Anselian is worried about what will happen to Heinskarso for letting the Protector get killed on his watch, and Padmé is in a funk because of the ultimatum to the powers that be in the Republic. It seems that to keep them all on an even keel, I need to be a motherly diplomat as well.

?No, Jeyla, tell Anselian that I?m fine and we?re still on time for departure at 9:30. I?m just going to see Ivo now.?

?Of course, Milady.?

Dormé turned back to her reflection. When she finally pulled herself away from her contemplations, and went to find Ivo, Jeyla had gone. Quietly, Dormé passed through their bedroom with its grand canopied and curtained bed and through the door on the far side.

She caught sight of Ivo as the door opened. He stood in front of a mirror, his arms at an odd angle as he reached behind him in order to put on the long dark-blue uniform coat being held behind him by two valets. As he shrugged the coat on and the valets adjusted the shoulders, Ivo looked into the mirror and glimpsed her hovering outside. Dormé smiled as he said, ?Well, what do you think??

Studying his reflection carefully, she smiled crookedly and said, ?I?m not sure if the tail-coat really suits you, but the rest is adequate. I think that I like the Rifles uniform on you better.?

Surprisingly, Ivo chuckled. ?Odd thing is?? he began before suddenly pausing and clearing his throat before speaking again. ?Odd thing is, my Father always said that this coat would rest easier on my shoulders than his. Then I managed to botch my first act as Protector.?

Slipping into Basic and sideslipping closer to him, Dormé argued in a disbelieving tone, ?What do you mean? How can you think that? You?ve delineated a clear position; prevented the Commonwealth from following the Nobility?s instinct to attack the Republic, and simultaneously kept Kalinda calm. Not a bad performance, given the circumstances.?

?Perhaps, but the Holonet and the Embassy on Coruscant also tell me that I?m regarded as a ranting mad man by a number of prominent Senators. No, Dormé, I botched it. I gave counsel to my desire to be seen as the great Kalinadian warlord and to my pain. Because of it, I?ve lost support that we could have had.?

?They wouldn?t have supported us in any event.? Dormé knew that her response was almost too enthusiastic.

Ivo looked directly into her eyes, and said, ?Spoken like a Kalinadian born and bred or a seasoned political operative.?

Dormé smiled sweetly and said, ?I try my darling, but being either is hard sometimes.?

Dormé winced as she heard herself say her last few words, but Ivo didn?t seem angry, he just looked down at the braided cuff of his left coat sleeve. Aft

22. GunraysLawyer

May 23, 2003
    I almost forgot, Happy Birthday to my loyal reader, Sophronia.

23. obsessedwithSW

May 24, 2005
    Yea I got to post first! I ve missed Ivo and Dorme. I also enjoyed the flirting between them. IT was what really made the reading entertaining in SL&B. MOre soon?[face_love]

24. geo3

geo3 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    Well, well, well. Ivo is having doubts after all. I had wondered... we've been seeing him from the outside mostly. His fierce decisiveness in issuing the Kalinadian ultimatum to the Senate made him seem almost indestructible. I'm very happy you added this glimpse into his humanity and self-doubt. As far as I'm concerned, it only enhances his character.

And... well... I loved the interaction between Dorme and Ivo. I, too have missed those moments, although since this story takes place in a very compressed, grief-stricken period of time, it's understandable that there aren't more of them. But she can still make him smile, and with her by his side, I think he will wear the uniforms of office - all of them - very well. Thanks for this little glimpse.

I can't help thinking about Moff Arshan in "To Absent Friends" when I read this story. It's all so sad, and so real to me. It is to your credit that you have inserted this "world within a world" into the Saga in such a plausible and compelling way.

Bravo, my friend!

25. organista

organista Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 31, 2005
    what a surprise! :D

I can post my review finally ;)

It is true that doubts make each hero more real and true-born. I was actually missing his grief after loss his father. He had absolutely no time for this - for joyning his family in the sorrow. But I guess that's the disadvantges of being the leader. The heavy stone face.... It's good he has Dorme (hmmm I keep thinking about TAS - would he become like Vader if e lost her...). Truth is that she was born to be Protectrix @};-

Great installmet GL @};- A masterpiece=D=

more SOON?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.