main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Suicidal Obi-Wan?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by LeeKenobi, Jan 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    What LeeKenobi is saying is that by taking outside, where the lava is, Obi-wan would sacrifice himself to stop Anakin by letting the lava do it.

2. Rossa83

Rossa83 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2005
    I don't think he was suicidal. He knew that the Jedi Order relied on him to survive - him and Yoda. Probably, as some of you write, he also knew he could beat Anakin. I doubt if for a second he was afraid. Most likely, on his journey to Mustafar he contemplated how to fight Anakin - that gives him an edge!

As for the defensive part: OBW was a defensive swordsman, looking for opportunities. Not all Jedi were like that. Some used a more offensive tactic and swordsmanship. However, all Jedi were defensive in that their mission was to protect. A sith is offensive because his mission is to attack and conquer. A sith does not necessarily need to be more offensive in his fighting style, but his outlook and mission is more offensive.

OBW attacked both Griveous and Anakin, but he did it to defend the republic. Yoda attacked Sideous to protect the republic. Maul, however, attacked the Jedi to eliminate adversaries that had become an object in their path of domination.

3. ObiWanIsTheOne

ObiWanIsTheOne Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 30, 2005
    So he is saying that Obi-Wan was purposely trying to go outside and kill Anakin, even if it meant his death? Like he had a good feeling that the lava would kill them both and he didn't mind as long as Anakin died too? (Which was likely since lava was all around them.)

4. toronto-gush

toronto-gush Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 26, 2003
    The only time I can think of a Sith igniting his sabre first was ANH Vader vs. Ben.

5. Darth_Sideous

Darth_Sideous Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 24, 2004
    Dooku drew first when he fought Yoda, didn't he?

6. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005

I think Obi-Wan went to either turn Anakin back or outright kill him in a swordfight. From the movie, we have no reason to believe Obi-Wan knew where he was heading. He hid out in the closet the entire trip. When he first stepped out onto the ships' landing, he probably looked around and thought "Holy crap! This planet is BAD."

Carnage

7. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    -In TPM, Obi-wan and Qui-gon ignite first when the Radient VII is destoryed. They do so in defense, since they don't know what's going on.

-Qui-gon ignites his Lightsaber when he sees Obi-wan being attacked by the STAP.

-Both Jedi ignite their sabers when they land, once they reach Theed. They do so because the Battle Droids will shoot them. Quick reflexes and all that.

-Qui-gon ignites his saber after Maul has nearly hit Anakin and baring down on him. He is being attacked, so he ignites before Maul does. But Maul attacks first.

-The Jedi ignite their sabers in defense, when they enter the hangar.

-Maul draws his saber first and ignites both blade. Then the Jedi do likewise. Obi-wan tries to get behind Maul, so that they can get him in a pincer attack. Qui-gon ignites first when the battle resumes, just before his death. That's because he's trying to take Maul down, but not in cold blood. Obi-wan ignites first, before going on the offensive on Maul. He is going to kill him in cold blood.

-Anakin ignites first to save Padme from the Khornauts (sp).

-Obi-wan ignites in defense of his own life against Zam.

-Obi-wan ignites his blade when Jango turns to face him, drawing both blasters. Obi-wan already knows he's going to be attacked. He ignties his saber again when he tosses the tracking device, in case Slave I goes in for an attack.

-Anakin ignites first and kills in cold blood, against the Tuskens.

-Anakin ignites first against the Geonosians, because he senses an attack.

-Mace ignites first only to keep Jango at bay. The man is armed to the teeth and very dangerous. The other Jedi ignite in defense of themselves.

-Anakin and Obi-wan ignite first because they don't know what defenses are in the hangar. Dooku has attacked both of them, so Obi-wan is justified for going on the offensive first.

-Dooku attacks Yoda through the Force. Yoda defends. Dooku ignites first and then Yoda draws his saber and ignites. Dooku attacks first, but Yoda outfights him.

-Obi-wan ignites first in the hangar, because he knows that he will be shot at. Both ignite when surrounded by Battle Droids and Destroyer Droids.

-Dooku has drawn his saber first. The Jedi ignite first, because Dooku is moving to attack. They go on the offensive first to disarm and arrest Dooku.

-The fight on the bridge is a defensive one.

-Obi-wan puts himself in danger, when he drops in on Grievous. But he lets the Maganaguards attack first. Then he tells Grievous that it's his move, thus prompting him to attack first. Obi-wan backs away and fights defensively.

-Anakin draws his saber as if to kill Palpatine in cold blood.

-The Jedi Posse ignite first because they are moving into arrest mode. Like the police and sherrifs of the old west, you draw your weapon when going to arrest someone, especially if you suspect that they will resist. But Palpatine attacks first.

-Yoda kills because he is about to be shot in the back and he can sense it.

-Anakin ignites first against Shaak Ti in the cut scene and again against the Younglings. Zett ignites first to save Bail and to fight his way free.

-Members of the 501st attack Yoda and Obi-wan when they show up. In the novelization, they are identified as the Decoy Unit.

-Palpatine attacks Yoda first with the Sith Lightning. Thus Yoda is justified for igniting first and going on the offensive first.

-Obi-wan ignites first because Anakin has made it clear that he will kill him. But Anakin attacks first.

-Obi-wan ignites his blade to save Luke from Ponda Baba and Dr. Evanzin.

-Obi-wan constantly grabs his saber, because he senses Vader is nearby. But Vader has his saber drawn and ignited first.

-Luke ignites his saber to free himself of the ice and defends himself from the Wampa.

-Luke ignites first when he has that vision. And he attacks first. He also kills in cold blood.

-Luke ignites first against Vader, even though Vader already has his saber in hand. And he attacks first.

-Luke ignites first during the Sail Barge assault, but h

8. SHAD0W-JEDI

SHAD0W-JEDI Force Ghost star 4

May 20, 2002

I think it makes Obi Wan even more heroic to believe that he was at least possibly overmatched against Anakin..yet still confronted him, and still managed to come out on top. I am not sure what "canon" would say - I think we are to believe Anakin is "more powerful" than Obi Wan, than just about anyone, in ROTS... but...questionable as to how good a FIGHTER he is, given his temper and arrogance (which, of course, ultimately costs him!)...

Shadow

9. joshuavance

joshuavance Jedi Youngling star 3

May 15, 2002
    Obi-Wan suicidal?

On the contrary, more than any other confrontation he participated in during the course of the entire saga, Obi-Wan intuitively knew everything was at stake on Mustafar. If he fell , there would be no hope for the galaxy - Anakin would go on to become more powerful than Sidious and a dark shadow would be cast on the galaxy far worse than anything Sidious could conjure up. That was Sidious' plan all along: Groom a replacement worse than him.

Obi-Wan rose to the occasion because of the stakes involved. That's how he was able to beat Anakin - through his resolve and determination. Obi-Wan more than any other Jedi, let's the Force flow through him.

That's why the Mustafar duel is the pinnacle of the Star Wars saga and connecting nexus between the two trilogies. Everything prior, was a build up to, and everything after, was a result of that one single duel.

Obi-Wan knew if he fell, it was all over.

10. joshuavance

joshuavance Jedi Youngling star 3

May 15, 2002
    Obi-Wan suicidal?

On the contrary, more than any other confrontation he participated in during the course of the entire saga, Obi-Wan intuitively knew everything was at stake on Mustafar. If he fell , there would be no hope for the galaxy - Anakin would go on to become more powerful than Sidious and a dark shadow would be cast on the galaxy far worse than anything Sidious could conjure up. That was Sidious' plan all along: Groom a replacement worse than him.

Obi-Wan rose to the occasion because of the stakes involved. That's how he was able to beat Anakin - through his resolve and determination. Obi-Wan more than any other Jedi, let's the Force flow through him.

That's why the Mustafar duel is the pinnacle of the Star Wars saga and connecting nexus between the two trilogies. Everything prior, was a build up to, and everything after, was a result of that one single duel.

Obi-Wan knew if he fell, it was all over.

11. Obi-Wan-1000

Obi-Wan-1000 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2005
    Obi-wan is not scared of Anakin at all.

and welcome back joshuavance [:D]

12. JediMasterKenobi07

JediMasterKenobi07 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 21, 2005
    Damn , beat me to it.

Also , I do believe that Obi-Wan was going to try and turn Anakin from the Darkside and if not he had the only other choice.

13. Rossa83

Rossa83 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2005
    Exactly... I don't think he is scared of anyone or anything. If he was, he would most certainly not want to fight Sideous. Nor would he want to participate so actively in the clone wars. It really isn't the Jedi way to be scared. Ofcourse, he did believe in Anakin's abilities so he most likely didn't expect it to be an easy fight.

14. Obi-Wan-1000

Obi-Wan-1000 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2005

I agree[face_peace]

15. LeeKenobi

LeeKenobi Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 13, 2002
    Or....

1. He wanted to face Sidious so he wouldn't have to kill Anakin, whom he practically raised since he was 10 years old.

2. He perceived that Sidious would easily kill him--an end to his grief upon discovering that his "brother" had become a traitor and murderer.

16. JediMasterKenobi07

JediMasterKenobi07 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 21, 2005
    I would most certainly agree with that as well.

17. kyoshiro-kenobi

kyoshiro-kenobi Jedi Youngling

Sep 8, 2003
    Suicidal? No freaking way! [face_shame_on_you] When he tells Yoda that he can't kill Anakin (I'm paraphrasing, it's been a while since I watched the movie), it's because he doesn't want to kill someone that he loved as a son or a brother. And while Anakin has more raw power than him and can potentially beat him, I think he realizes that Anakin lacks the maturity and finesse to defeat him. Once Yoda assigned Obi-Wan the task, he resolutely did his best to complete his mission. That's been his character throughout the prequels; he sticks to the mission at hand.

I don't think he was suicidal in wanting to go after Sidious, either. At this point, all Yoda and Obi-Wan knew was that Sidious was the Sith master. They didn't know that he personally killed Mace, Kit, et al; for all they knew, Mace and company were killed by hordes of clone troopers. I'm sure Obi-Wan thought Sidious was powerful, but he probably thought he was more powerful in a duplicitious, crafty, possess-your-soul kind of way rather than a lightsaber slinging bad-ass kind of way....in my humble opinion.

Branching off the topic, I've wondered what would've happened had Kenobi gone after Sidious and Yoda after Anakin. I think it would have been interesting if Kenobi had killed Sidious, yet Anakin somehow managed to kill Yoda: Anakin becomes the Sith master in search of an acolyte, Kenobi still goes into exile because of the thousands of clone troopers still trying to execute Order 66 and presumably now loyal to Anakin, the Republic in a shambles, etc. Someone make my day and write a "what-if" book on the subject!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.