main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Memph, TN "Summer Storm 2003"

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Jedi Trace, Jul 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    It has a title already. <roll eyes>

Seriously, is everyone OK?

We had some heavy thunder & lightning but no damage or power loss. I couldn't believe the pictures on the news...wow.

2. Steja_Palex

Steja_Palex Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 18, 2001
    I just posted something in the Rendezvous...before I saw this thread. I was definitely worried about everyone this morning. Traci, yours and Tim's were the only numbers I could find, or else I'd have called to check on everyone. I woke Tim up and he was so out of it, he didn't know who I was, much less that the weather had gotten as bad as it had.

3. Qui-Gon Tim

Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep star 5

Apr 1, 2000
    The Dyersburg DJ speaks the truth. It was just like a scene from Defending Your Life. I was pretty out of it.

I have no idea if we have power at work. I really don't want to go and find out, but I guess I have no choice.

4. IrishThunder

IrishThunder Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 5, 2001
    what's up guys, i'm sittin' here chillin' with air and power and everything. My power didn't go out once, even though people about half a mile away got nothing but destruction, death and their best casarole dishes flying through the air. I and my household are very blessed appearantly. I didn't get woke up by the storm other than my paranoid mother-in-law calling the house AFTER the storm had passed over and freaking out. Hope everyone else round here is at least safe.

5. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    I just spent the past hour playing "Tim, the good grandson-in-law". Traci's idiot Onslo (from Keeping Up Appearences)-look-a-like uncle picked out a generator for her grandmother. The idiot (we have proof, so I can use the term repeatedly) got a cheapo that won't even run a refrigerator, and spent $500 of the woman's money.

I somehow managed to get her freezer and one fan to work on the thing, all the while trying to convince her to stay with us, or with any family member with power. But no, she won't leave that blasted freezer. I think I saw vegetables in there that had "I Like Ike!" stickers on them.

Unfortunately the power never went out at work. I will give kudos to the Lord Almighty for trying to send me a sign not to go back this morning. I hurried out the door only to find I had a flat tire. I did briefly consider finding a temp agency job while looking for a real job and never, ever returning there again while searching Millingstone for a can of fix-a-flat. Like an idiot, I went to work anyway.

Yep. Shoulda listened to God.

I just love it when the traffic lights go dead. Memphians can barely conceive of the notion of a four-way stop, much less improvise one when the need arises.

Even worse, I couldn't believe the number of traffic lights that are just friggin GONE! I saw several by work that were cracked in two, or missing the bottom half.

And has anyone heard from Lin?

6. Steja_Palex

Steja_Palex Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 18, 2001
    Nope...haven't heard from Lin or Sal. What about Obi Wan-Ton, Joy, and Grace? And what about our two other founding members, Chris and Tim C.?

7. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    I recieved no damage, and luckily have had power. I'm moving this week so, I was glad!! Cordova got it pretty bad. There are STILL power lines down all up and down Germantown road, and most of my friends and coworkes don't have power. They said the power situation is worse than the ice storm in 93. 70% of MLGW customers didn't have power. They are telling folks with no power it could be 7 - 10 days... [face_shocked]

I stood in my apt. during the hurricane and thought, "Wow, its really raining out there.." Duh Rhonda.... Its lucky I'm alive with my caution..... [face_laugh]

8. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    Saying Cordova got hit bad is an understatement. I've spent my entire day at the Germantown Library for lack of anything better to do at home without power.

At least I have light to read with. And thankfully the weather has been very nice since Tuesday, so I'm actually getting a bit of sun.

Without power and my computer I'm completely bored though. Thankfully I'll be out of town on vacation again all next week.

No damage to my house, but lots of people got hit bad in our neighboorhood. There is a picture in Wednesday's paper of a house a few blocks away from my house that had a giant old Oak fall on it. The house was for sale too. Horrible stuff. So I have no room to complain about the power (although that part of the neighboorhood has had it for over two days now). At least I'm getting some quality reading done.

9. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Wedge88: Long time, no see here in the Memphis FF Forums. Glad to see you survived Hurricane Elvis, as Rock 103 has affectionately named Tuesday's storm.

We had no wind to speak of here in Millington. Nothing got blown away at all.
    I attribute this to the fact that the "Drive-In" Night screen was down, and already shredded, otherwise it would have been sailing through the sky like a frisbee or a WalMart bag. I've got to make a new one before next weekend's event.

10. Dork-Vader

Dork-Vader Star Wars Sketch Card Artist star 4 VIP

May 14, 2003
    Lin checking in here. Sorry to be so out of touch. It's been hell week since last Thursday night.

First I got the call that the owner of the building we had Nightmarez in last year decided to not let us renew the lease, and wanted us out by the next Friday so he could get it ready for the new tennants! After many long days/nights of tearing down walls, moving lumber, dealing with no power thru most of it, almost getting arrested for looting we finally got it all to a new location- for now. If we have to move it again we're having a lumber sale!

Tuesday I got up early to head downtown to be on Live at 9 at Peabody Place. Well, while in the shower Hurricane Elvis hit! I got out to go check the TV to see how bad it was and the power went out! I got dressed, went outside, cleaned off the few small limbs that were in the driveway and headed downtown, dogging a few downed limbs here and there. I got to Highland just past Fox13 and a tree was across most of the road- and about a foot of water covered the rest. By the time I got to Poplar the Wake Up Crew on 103 were back on the air saying they were evacuating Beale St.! I turned around to head back to work only to find more downed trees, missing traffic lights, idiot drivers, and co-workers heading home!

We finally got power back on at work this afternoon, but I'm still in the dark at home. I actually went in search of a fountain drink last night, then read comics at home with a flashlight- kinda fun actually. Though taking a shower by candlelight isn't much fun alone- or REALLY tired! I didn't think I could sleep standing up.

Found out yesterday that Big Scoop is rescheduled for September- after we've been promoting the heck out of it all month.

Oh, I also ended up in Orange Mound with no lights Tuesday night on my way home from the Redbirds game- but that's a story for another time.

Long story longer- I'm fine, my house is fine, and I'm glad to hear you all are too. Shame I don't have more vacation days, I could use one after this week!

11. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Good Grief, Lin....you've been through hell this week, haven't you? Makes me feel like a first-class @$$ for having lights and air-conditioning.

C'mon, I'll cheer you up by taking you to Denny's tomorrow if you want.

OK....OK..... Waffle House, but only if you insist.

BTW- Love the sig!

12. Star_Blazer_M31

Star_Blazer_M31 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 21, 2003
    Okay, here.

Thanks for the concern; I really appreciate it.

I've not been in Memphis to see the damage, but my mom tells me that it's chaos. Our apartment building STILL has no power, and the halls and stairs are pitch black. She said it was a very scary experience, just going out to the car.

-Grace*

13. Obi_J_Kenobi

Obi_J_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 15, 2002
    Ok guys, I'm sitting in the public library. Because I still have no power whatsoever. Hell, I didn't even get to work untill saturday because my stores power was still out. Sorry I havent checked in untill now, but I'm ok...if that makes any differance.
    I awoke on tuesday morning, opening my eyes and looking out the window to see a rather large branch hurtle past my view. so..see.. my Jedi intuition told me..."Hey wonton...that's not good..you better go and see what's going on outside.." *rolls eyes* So here I go, no shirt and pj bottoms to the door where I open the door to recieve a gust of wind comparable to one of my midnight snores. anyways, the large iron swing missed me by almost 5 inches and smashed into the cieling. My car missed being hit by a falling tree by 3 inches. believe me..I counted. and I spent the morning in a freakin poncho dragging trees and limbs from the street so we could clear a way for people to drive. other than that...my life has been peachy keen. *dripping with sarcasm* I'm reading by candlelight at night, taking all cold showers because I can't stand hot stuff...anymore and I'm considering buying a ticket to Hoth rather soon. As for MLGW, I passed a truck where a couple workers were just sitting on the curb drinking cold drinks and laughing. made me wanna yell..which is probably why they turned and looked at me funny.

14. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Good to hear you're Ok, Obi-J. I'm hanging out late at work again because I still don't have power and am addicted to the AC here! I saw a bunch of the out-of-towner electrical guys in Sam's parking lot off Getwell on my way in this morning. They were sadling up and heading towards my neighborhood so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!!! Last night I saw power on the streets just before mine- I got happy then was quickly put into a downer when I turned the corner and entered the darkness of my street!

15. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    TIM- "Makes me feel like a first-class @$$ for having lights and air-conditioning."

That's cool (get it?), don't let my or any of your other friends' suffering make you feel like an @$$- offering to take me to Waffle House is a different story!

16. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Jay: Glad you're OK. I thought of you today while driving through the intersection of Getwell & Rhodes, which is a friggin four-way stop right now. I tried to call you, but no one answered. Sounds like the Force was with you, though, despite your lack of power and AC. Are you sure Vader wasn't outside, hurling objects at you with the Dark Side...trying to make you put on a shirt? :p

Lin: Bribery gets me everywhere, doesn't it? I heard this morning that there are crews from Nashville, Little Rock, and Birmingham here working on the power situation. Hopefully they'll get things up and going soon.

Shameless plug: And speaking of sleeping with no AC, will either of you be at this weekend's Classic Trilogy Campout? Hmmmm????

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.