main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming The Super Mario Super Thread!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi_Nailbiter, Aug 2, 2002.

1. Jedi_Nailbiter

Jedi_Nailbiter Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2000
    Yeah, the sand bird wasn't too hard. I'm having alot of trouble with the Blooper Red Coin thing (the race was easy...I got it on like the second or third try), and the second roller coaster episode with the baloons.

2. Nai

Nai Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    The funny thing about some of those red coin challenges is that actually collecting the coins isn't the hardest part, getting the Shine is. Getting all eight coins in that blooper episode is pretty simple if you take a green blooper (at least for me), but I died countless times just trying to get up onto the pier again. The red coin episode in Pianta Village is the same way, although much more time consuming.

3. Jedi_Nailbiter

Jul 22, 2000
    It makes a difference on what blooper you choose?!

4. Nai

Nai Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    Yeah, purple is the fastest, green is the slowest, and yellow is in between. Collecting all the red coins is easy with the green one. Getting back onto the pier is by far the hardest part.

5. neeldawg66

neeldawg66 Jedi Master star 8

Mar 21, 2002
    107 shines and counting..........

6. Boba_Fett-001

Boba_Fett-001 Jedi Youngling

Sep 4, 2002
    Well I managed to get past that Red coin Blooper stage on Ricco Harbor! I used the green one, got all the red coins, tried going to the left side of the beginning dock and circling around.

I nearly ended up skidding twice into the silly fishing boats on the dock, then tried to jump on the dock with the green one a couple of times to hit the shine.

What was really funny though was when I somehow managed to dismount from the green one to the yellow one then next thing I know im riding a yellow blooper LOL. Finally managed to hit the shine with the yellow blooper.

7. JediMaster22

JediMaster22 Jedi Knight star 8

Oct 15, 1999
    I am almost there, I have 4 shines to get and I'll have a chance to Corona Mountain!!!

I have 86? Shine NOW!

8. Nai

Nai Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    On my second time around, I'm really surprised to say that most of the "void zones" really don't seem so bad now. I find I rarely even get especially frustrated playing through them. Getting the Secret Shines is another matter, though. Best to give up on trying those unless I want a broken Gamecube, methinks...

9. Nai

Nai Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    Today I found out just how durable the Gamecube controller is. I was on the third lap of the second Pinna rollercoaster level with only one balloon to go. Shot three missiles at it... missed by a hair each time. ... Long story short, my controller is very surprisingly still in near-perfect condition. Nintendo certainly knows how to make their hardware.

10. JediMaster22

JediMaster22 Jedi Knight star 8

Oct 15, 1999
    Woah, I almost defeated Corona Mountain!!!

Got ONE last Super ground pound at the end, and I dropped into oblivion [face_plain]

Oh well... I am very tired of this game now, does anyone know if there are cheats, or ummm, Easter Eggs that allows me to watch the Final Credits?

11. Nai

Nai Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    Did you just miss the platform? I had a recurring problem where I'd pound the platform then almost immediately fall through it. Aside from that, I thought the last boss was disappointingly easy. Getting to him was actually harder for me.

12. neeldawg66

neeldawg66 Jedi Master star 8

Mar 21, 2002
    I made it!!! 120 shines!!! Damn some of those lue coins are hard to find.

13. arabiansanchez

arabiansanchez Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2001
    Question- Ricco Harbour Episode 8 Yoshi's Fruit Adventure, how?

71 shines, almost there, must be strong.

14. Jedi_Nailbiter

Jul 22, 2000
    I still haven't got the shine for Corona Mountain. Actually, I almost got it a couple of months ago, I mean it started to appear and everything but then my Cube gave me a disc read error. I was praying it was an insanity effect of some sort. It wasn't. I haven't played the game since.

15. Nai

Nai Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    Squirt a fish with Yoshi's fruit juice, then ride it over to the first platform. To your left (along the edge of the zone) is a little outcropping with a tree. Jump over there, have Yoshi eat the fruit hanging from the tree, then hop back over to the platform. Now fish will turn into vertically moving platforms when squirted with juice. Take the rest from there.

16. arabiansanchez

Nov 17, 2001
    Thanks Nai, easy when you know how.

17. arabiansanchez

Nov 17, 2001
    I completed it (83/120), :)

Now I can have a life again!
    Well, atleast until Time Splitters 2 and Eternal Darkness come out in my part of the world.

Isn't it wonderful having a constant flow of good games coming your way after the mess which was the great N64 software drought of '99 to '01?

Almost made me pick up a playstation.

So people, QUESTION (SPOILER):

-------------------------------------------------------
    What's the deal with II Passiamanto at the end?

Do I smell a Mazza sequel in the (hopefully) near future?
    -------------------------------------------------------

18. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Rise my friend.

Synching audio up to video was driving towards suicide this evening so I popped in a title to relax with and decided to throw in SMS, even though it's been awhile since I last played.

The overall refined nature of the gameplay strikes me in particular, as well as the verifiable challenge in many of it's goals and platformer puzzles.

While the helopad blooper in the harbor was easy enough (once I figured/remembered how to actually hurt it) but on the other end of the spectrum, the maze behind the mountain in the amusement park during the ferris wheel level is really pretty freaking hard, with alot of the solutions along the way not exactly being obvious and taking a good amount of trial and error and creative thinking.

19. NewWorldOrder

NewWorldOrder Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 20, 2005
    That game was one hell of a ride! love it!
    (and after it was over the music was stuck in my head once again for months after....good times)

20. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    I got every star in this game, but I couldn't beat the last level before I got rid of my gamecube

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, now I'm up to 25 stars- that balloon rocket coaster level was fun, and I just unlocked the turboboost-dash nozzle which is highly bitching as it is only limited by your water tank (now Mario can race Sonic! ;) ) which basicly turns Mario into a speedboat in water.

I'm noticing a lot of creative bits in this game- they are sometimes just subtle touches and others interesting level elements, but generally stuff I never noticed before or just plain hadn't gotten to yet.

I also just realized that Isle Delfino is suppsoed to refer to Dolphins (as the locales are basicly islander Dolphins with legs and arms)- a reference to Gamecube's project development name- Project Dolphin.

22. NewWorldOrder

NewWorldOrder Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 20, 2005
    I started to play this again because of this bumped thread.(and i'm glad i did)

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    hehe, well, I know I've been sorta raving about this game for the last couple days now, but ya know what? It still manages to surprise me- the Manta Ray shadow boss is very different (and challenging! many Marios died to bring us this information...) than what I had begun to expect from the game. I also only now just discovered the whole sewer system thing (and with the old school underground music, gotta love it) which has led to fun discoveries.

35 Shines now ::)

(I've also come to realize that, despite what Robot Chicken might show, Mario's various abilities make him damn near invincible and he would wipe the floor with Master Chief ;) )

24. Delta_62

Delta_62 Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 20, 2005
    I played this game. I beat it. Didn't get all the shines, though. Great game.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Didn't get all the shines, though.

Then it's not beaten ;)