main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Superman Premiered 40 Years Ago Today

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jean-Luc Picard, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I think I'd have to watch that scene again to refresh my memory. Is she actually singing "Can you read my mind", or is it her standard dialogue with the orchestral music playing in the background?

2. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    That is a good one to be your first movie and reminds me of my first experience (at least the first one I remember), E.T. The lines was massive and it was a hot summer day therefore for you kids you don't remember this, we used to stand in OUTSIDE at the theater and wait. I was getting impatient too so I asked my dad why it was taking so long. I will never forget his response, "Sometimes you have to wait awhile for something good". Never forget that. Years later we were talking and I said how much that meant to me that day therefore not only have I tried to use patience in moments when it's hard to but also instill it in my kids. He turns to me and went, "Oh really? I said that before E.T.?? Never remember that all. Most likely I was trying to come up with something to make sure you didn't have a temper tantrum".

And as far as Superman I goes, as a kid I loved watching Lex Luther and Otis. But once I hit puberty, I began paying attention to Miss Teschmacher more. :)

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  3. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    If you want to talk about massive movie lines, the first thing that comes to mind for me was during the 20th Anniversary SE release of the OT (each of the first three months of '97). There used to be a large theater by me with a huge screen that only featured one movie at any given time, and as you can imagine the lines for ANH, ESB, and ROTJ were enormous. This was before you could expect to see a new SW movie on an annual basis like nowadays. The line literally wrapped around the theater's parking lot.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  4. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @Ahsoka's Tano

Yeah the lines were for the special edition were big by me too but only really for ANH. TESB and ROTJ had big crowds that year but nothing like ANH. The biggest crowds I ever had to deal with for a movie were TPM (people were sitting in the aisles) and crazy as it sounds, Fast and the Furious 1. There were people parked on the grass and shows were soldout everywhere because NOBODY expect it to be a big hit and have the opening weekend it did therefore there weren't that many screens showing it compare to what there should have been.

5. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    The first time I saw this, I was high as a kite and semi-delirious since I had swine flu and was on meds, so I literally felt like I was flying during the flight scenes.

6. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    [​IMG]

7. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    what colour underwear am i wearing?

8. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    C'mon, it's Friday. Everybody knows Friday is red velvet thong day. That's why I look forward to it all week. I feel so free.

9. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    That reminds that Ready Player One used one of the best quotes from Superman: The Movie.

Lex Luthor: Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.

Rew, Ahsoka's Tano, BigAl6ft6 and 2 others like this.
  10. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Watched Superman 1 & 2 when it was on TV a few years back. I had watched a bunch of the animated series and movies, so I figured I should watch the old Superman movie sometime. Wasn't expecting any spectacular effects or fight scenes or anything...but I couldn't help but feel that it looked really, really old [face_whistling]. Never got that feeling for Star Wars, Top Gun, or any of the old Disney movies. Anyway, I liked Superman 2 better than the first one...just thought Lex Luthor was way too corny of an antagonist I guess.

11. Jean-Luc Picard

Jean-Luc Picard Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 13, 2018
    Um, ya know, Sensei, there are very few people left in the world who feel comfortable saying that word.

FTFY.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  12. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    that sequence where lois suffocates under the rubble and the way that superman screams in agony as he realizes he has lost her...really blew the top of my head off as a kid. never forgot it.

Blobofat and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  13. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    cripes this movie is great. So great that Bryan Singer made a 100 million dollar fan film continuation of it. :/ But this one is still great. Although I do like Superman II a wee bit better just cuz, y'know, Zod. but he's in here too.

Rew, Sith_Sensei__Prime and Sarge like this.
  14. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  15. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
    I remember I OD'd on spearmint chews and threw up outside after I'd watched it.

Brilliant film that does indeed look of it's era and makes me feel ancient. I saw it not too long ago in London and the opening is still a million shades of magnificent. The spacecraft is still one of the most beautiful things I've seen on the big screen and the whole execution of ideas is spectacularly imaginative and organic, much more so than many of today's superhero films imo. And the score....phenomenal. One of the greatest.

SW the year before and then this. No oversaturation and, let's face it, when films like A Cat from Outer Space are the nearest rivals you've hit the ground running before you've sat down. A great time to be a kid back then.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  16. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    My favorite Luthor quote, which I've said many times before, is always: It's amazing that brain can generate enough power to keep those legs moving.

I'd challenge anyone to find a better way to insult a person for being dumb.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    BigAl6ft6 and Sith_Sensei__Prime like this.
  17. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    I meant couldn't sing. Was typing too fast the other day.

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  18. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    Geez, Reeve conveyed more warmth in two seconds than Cavill did in two movies.