main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Superman Returns (spoilers inside)

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by moogi_wan, Oct 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    No Flying?
    No suit?
    A big Spider?

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

2. DewbackRider88

DewbackRider88 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    Superman, today at 4:25 on 5

Watch and see how a superman film should be lol

3. jangofett9

jangofett9 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2004
    Jamierichards could make a better film than bryan singer?! sorry....who's the guy in hollywood who's made the film?! Not you for sure.......

seriously man....[face_laugh]

4. Lord-Tice

Lord-Tice Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2001
    I've just come back from seeing it, and I thought it was Brilliant!! :D

There's very little I can find fault with, and I even have to eat humble pie and say Kate Bosworth was great. Sure she still looked way too young for the role, but her performance was very good and it felt right. Brandon was excellent and even though I was very sceptical about having Lex init (again), Kevin Spacey's performance, the script and story totally convinced me that I was wrong to be sceptical.

The VFX were amazing and it felt so real. I think they utilised his heat-rays and x-ray vision to great effect. They really thought about the tiny details and it makes a difference.
    As for the love story, I thought that worked a treat and in many ways, it's a major part of what Superman is all about. Sure the kid part is a bit dodgy, but I think they underplayed that part very well which was the right thing to do and I have no complaints about it.
    The title sequence was just a trip down memory lane and I loved the retro style. I've never felt so emotionally drawn in a cinema before.
    Top marks for me, and I'm more a Batman fan then I am Superman so I'm not bias.

I agree with you there Jamie, Superman doesn't quite have the same rogues gallery as say Batman, or even Spider-man and it does make things difficult for potential sequels. Toyman isn't exactly filmic either, lol. I've also been thinking a wee bit about this and I'd like to see Doomsday too, but as Richie said the implications for that are also complicated. So they'd probably have to ignore the comic stories for that particular character.

As for the missing yellow symbol on the cape; I was told during LF&CC that this costume was based on a particular drawing by a Superman artist, which is why the symbol appears on the belt and not the cape. I don't think it would have been for CG reasons because most of the time the cape was CG and the texture would have been a doddle to do. I loved the cossy btw. Marks & Spencer in Bluewater have a large Superman statue on display and it looks great.

5. Jedi General Gelderd

Jedi General Gelderd Jedi Master star 5

Mar 6, 2004
    What are you all doing here still? Superman I is just starting on Channel 5 and those great credits are rolling so get off here, and go watch!

Plus I have to chip in and say that Superman having no gripes is something I love more than ever! Why the heck do we want a hero is is toying whether he is good or bad? That should be left to action stars. Batman and Spider-Man need to work out a path to go down, as I think the Spider-Man trilogy is becoming tied down with Peter Parker in a constant grapple with himself. Superman has moved on and has far more emotional and deeper trials to overcome by being a sole hero for good than being mixed up in himself.

Ahhh...sorry...I just feel patriotic for Kal-El being my symbol of hope on a rocky planet.

Now, let's go watch!! [face_hypnotized]

6. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    But that is part of being human, something Superman wouldn't understand

Besides, he has weaknesses and emotion. He feels for Lois, and those feelings can be used against him (which I find is the one problem with super-heroes)

7. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    I like my Superheroes to have a bit of internal conflict. Keeps them fresh and interesting. The one thing that stops me liking the Superman character is that he's too clear cut in himself. He has nothing to stop him doing the right thing. Too dull and clear cut.

8. JONJEDI

JONJEDI Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 11, 2002
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

You've got to be kidding! Pleeeease! You really could do better? I mean come on! I know people have different opinions and so on but the film was totally respectful to the original and had a great story and some amazing scenes. Noooo way you could do better. Go make a superman film and come back to us and lets see what you got.

But superman is the original superhero! He is a symbol of hope, he is the ultimate good guy! It's a simple good vs evil, forget all that crap about whether he is good or bad, he is superman! He was sent to earth to save the world from itself, to "be the light to show the way" too put humankind on the right path. IMO he is the best there is! Have you seen the movies? Even today its still edge of the seat stuff and perfect film making. It can never get old. It's a classic! IMO no other comic book hero can even touch the superman legacy.

9. orn-free-tada

orn-free-tada Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 11, 2001
    Hell, what do i know about film? I though Temple of doom was the best Indy :p

10. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Superman is a great hero, no doubts there

And he is the original

But whether he is still the best is in doubt with all the great Superheroes around today

And by best I don't mean "Who would win in a fight?", cos Superman normally would......doesn't make him the best

11. Jedi General Gelderd

Mar 6, 2004
    I just can't see why people fault Superman..for being good!

What sort of world do we live in where being too good means you're dull? It's a shambles!

[face_not_talking]

12. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    "Evil will always win because good is dumb"

13. Jedi General Gelderd

Mar 6, 2004
    Then that's a scary thought for the fate of our world me thinks.

[face_worried]

14. Lord-Wiz

Lord-Wiz Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2005
    this is one of the best films i have seen in the last 10 years. everything pales compared to superman returns, even george lucas's mediocre offerings. it was breath-taking.

routh is spot on as clark and supes. he absolutely nailed both parts.

the cgi fitted straight in with the live action seemlessly.

the music gave me goose flesh the second i heard it.

the casting was spot on and spacey is excellent as lex.

from the opening titles to the end of the credits i was transfixed.

truly a brilliant brilliant film.

(lol @ jamierichards!)

15. DewbackRider88

DewbackRider88 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    I love my flawed heroes, mainly because they are usually loners, which means no stupid 'son of...' story lines can happen

Iv always liked batman over superman, cooler costume, a snazzy car and his alter ego is a millionare playboy. Definatly a superhero most people would like to be. And the flawed hero style is what makes wolverine the coolest hero around.

Being clean cut and nice isnt a bad thing, it just makes for a dull hero lol everyone always wants people to be nice and peacfull. What a boring world we would have then.

And by the way, just watched superman on 5. THATS how you make a superman film!!

16. Lord-Tice

Lord-Tice Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2001
    Superman is flawed....he wants to be human and have a proper relationship with someone (Lois). The signs were all there, he was desperate to punch the lights out of Richard and find fault with him so he could snap Lois away. He wanted to tell Lois he loved her but didn't/couldn't. Just because his flaw doesn't involve wanting to use his powers for bad or ruling the Earth, it doesn't make him non-flawed. All this was explained in Kill Bill 2, lol. And if you want a bad Superman just watch Smallville, or Superman III. It's be done, time for something a bit different and that's exactly what Superman Returns was, but also managing to pay huge amounts of respect to the original two films.

I wasn't expecting to love this film as much as I did, but hearing people's opinions is interesting and films like this will always drum up contrasting views.

17. Mustafar_66

May 20, 2005
    TBH, I never really liked the Chris Reeve films. Not my thing.

18. HunkyEvil

HunkyEvil Jedi Master star 3

Feb 27, 2006
    He's a controversial lad ain't he? [face_laugh]

19. Mustafar_66

May 20, 2005
    This is true. They were good films in their own right, no denying that. Chris Reeve was Superman. No-one's ever gonna be as good as him or make the role their own. They'll always be a pale imitation of Reeve.
    However, it's not the fact that the films were bad, it's just that Superman is not my cup of tea at all. I just find Superman so infinitely predictable that it's annoying. The franchise has promise in my eyes, but it needs a shake-up. A swift kick up the bum so to speak. Perhaps Superman Returns will be that thing. I guess I'll find out in two and a half hours.

20. HunkyEvil

HunkyEvil Jedi Master star 3

Feb 27, 2006
    Lord Tice said it best when he mentioned Smallville. That is a different Superman and a different Clark to the one you watched in Chris Reeve's first movie.

I'm yet to see the movie TBH (although oddly enough I know exactly what happens *Stares at Midlanders*) but I shall be going soon.. perhaps this week.

21. DarthArsenal6

DarthArsenal6 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 16, 2001
    Oh come on ! admit it !

Anyway
    I don;t where to begin I mean its a good but not as good as expected, Like many of his films
    there something mising in his films - I don;t knw i just didn't filling enough

But I did enjoy it though

22. Jedi General Gelderd

Mar 6, 2004
    [face_shame_on_you]

:p

I ain't shifting from my arguement! I think maybe seeing a Superman film in a cinema for the first time, the excitement, and my growing love for the character and his history led me this way, but also how differently I see him and think about him as to when I think about Wolverine, Spiderman, Batman etc. They're just characters. Superman, to me, is an icon. A symbol. A real hero.

;)

23. jangofett9

jangofett9 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2004
    too true.....too true

24. jamierichards

jamierichards Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 2002
    laugh at me,will you?
    we'll see who has the last laugh!

ha!

25. JONJEDI