main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Superman Returns (spoilers inside)

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by moogi_wan, Oct 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    There's nothing like an open mind :rolleyes:

2. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Give the guy a chance, could be fun

Just don't make it too long, or i won't bother reading it :p

3. Jairen

Jairen Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2000
    Of course, people are entitled to their opinions as well.

4. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    My point is about people having an pre-formed opinion about something they haven't seen or heard yet.

5. go-away

go-away Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 21, 2003
    Not seen the film yet - unlikely to go see it - just doesn't appeal to me. Can wait until it's on Sky ;)

Jamie - perhaps if you get some time you could do a nice storyboard? Alas, due to no more Deltasource, I've been missing your wonderful artwork.

6. DarthArsenal6

DarthArsenal6 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 16, 2001
    JAmes Blunt........ ?! Are you Ricky Gervais in disguise ?

Anyhoo, don't have ME in mind when you sing the song "Your Beautiful" !

7. DarthArsenal6

DarthArsenal6 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 16, 2001

OK here what i think:

Robots with Mickey Mouse voices that fall all over the place? They can keep it.

Slapstick villains (a.k.a.General Greivous) who look like they're doing an impression of Inspector Clouseau as the hunchback? They can keep it.

Silly rubber like Road Runner type lizards? They can keep it.

Cardboard cut-out characters? They can keep it.

Meaningless, forced and clunky plots? They can keep it.

...... let alone the Disney like villains he had to "fight" during the Clone Wars.

8. ObiWanCon

ObiWanCon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 15, 2004
    For those who don't like Superman Returns I'd like to quote a genius and say wrong

My 2,000th Post

9. jamierichards

jamierichards Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 2002
    thanks,go-away...
    funnily enough,that's kind of what i was thinking of doing.
    like,an illustrated trailer-kind of thing.
    just got to put together some 'reference'...

10. Jedi General Gelderd

Jedi General Gelderd Jedi Master star 5

Mar 6, 2004
    @ OBC... nice! :p

Intersting thread is is turning into!
    Great to see the debate!

:D

11. GeneralGrievous1

GeneralGrievous1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 6, 2005
    I'm not a Superman fan, but I have to admit the opening music and credits were awesome and gave me chills! It was great when the famous logo appeared on screen and John Williams' legendary theme blared out.

My ten year old brother absolutely loved it and has gone Superman mad. I will have to try and get hold of the original ones for him as he hasn't seen them.

12. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I watched it today

(highlighted spoiler parts for readers who may not have seen the film yet)

I liked it a lot.
    The nostalgia I felt when seeing those opening credits and hearing the music was not what I expected. I am pleased they tried to keep as true to the originals as possible.
    It had many good visual effects, and some fine heroic and epic moments.
    I liked the plane sequence, especially the end when he drops it gently in the baseball park.
    The Metropolis destruction bit was well done also

However, there were some things that I feel let the film down
    Some bits were rather predictable (e.g. the shuttle plane's clamps failing to release & Lois' boyfriend's plane pulling up at just the right moment before it crashed) ,they lessened my enjoyment of the film, but I am willing to overlook minor things as most were done for dramatic effect (such as Superman's cape billowing behind him when he was in space, which wouldn't happen cos there is no air)

I thought Kevin Spacey did a good job as Lex Luthor, although at times he was a bit camp and over the top, but so was Gene Hackman
    I was not a fan of Kate Bosworth. It seemed to me that she was cast for her looks rather then her acting ability. She also seemed way too young fo the part. Margot Kidder's Lois looked to be in her 30s, Bosworth looks like she just got out of college. I don't fell that went well with the continuity of the series.
    Brandon Routh played the part ok. I don't think he had hugely diverse acting, but then playing Superman does not really require that.

I liked the new suit, with the 3D looking \S/ and the darker colours. It was a shame the \S/ was not on the back of the cape, but that can be overlooked

I was disappointed a bit by the music. John Williams was only credited with the main theme, and the other stuff seemed to just be mainly a few modified versions of that theme, some with choir voices thrown in, and some slowed down etc. It all worked within the film, just didn't feel very original IMO

The Superman's son part I felt was Ok, but I hope they don't expand too much on it in the following movies. I wouldn't want to see Superman and mini-Superman flying around in identical outfits, that would just be so bizarre :p

Overall, I liked it. It had a few dodgy bits, but it was fun
    I don't think it's better then the orginal Superman movies, but it certainly is a good film

I still prefer other Super-heroes personally, but Superman is pretty good

13. Raj_Vader

Raj_Vader Jedi Master star 4

Mar 28, 2005
    Watched this yesterday - was bloody great! I think that sea plane was as much of a hero as superman..... :p

14. GeneralGrievous1

GeneralGrievous1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 6, 2005
    I agree with pretty much all of your review Richie. Sums it up well.

15. Raj_Vader

Mar 28, 2005
    Richie I agree with your Spacey comments - I think Gene Hackman's Luthor is difficult to immitate. He has a natural arrogance about him that just can't be beat! Spacey did a commendable job, but he just isn't smarmy enough!

16. ObiWanCon

ObiWanCon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 15, 2004
    Gene Hackmen as Luthor was 90% campy and funny and Kevin Spacey?s Luthor was 50% campy and funny Spacey is better because it goes in line with Hackmen but it's also more like the other versions of Luthor which are more evil and sinister.

17. JONJEDI

JONJEDI Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 11, 2002
    Spacey's Lex was brilliant. Took the funny side of Hackman and added a much darker edge, which villians these days need to have.

Well they wern't gunna kill them all of were they. Same as any film. It would b less dramamtic if they simply just flew over the waterfall instead of falling down it and pulling up at the last second.

I thought Bosworth played the role as the new responsible Lane very well. I had my doubts about her from the trailers but she was superb I thought. And continuity doesn't matter too much in this. Like the newspapers all dated 2006 yet in the original Krytpon was supposed to have been destroyed in 1948. That means Clarke would almost be 60, which he clearly wasn't. They combined a lot of moderm elements like the dates and the cars with classic elements such the retro fashion like there still in the 70's, I thought how well it worked in moulding Supes I & II with Returns.

Yeah thats why its fantasy. It just gets an extra added effect to add onto the drama, it wouldnt look as cool if the cape was just flat at as he side. If films are gunna get all technical like that there wouldn't be any noises in space in SW. Which would kinda suck.

18. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    What i thought odd was, if they wanted the film to be as close to the original as possible, why not cast Hackman again as Luthor?

He's not that old

Did he not want to do it?

19. JONJEDI

Nov 11, 2002
    What!! Hes old! This is almost 30 years after Superman I! No way could he repise his role. Look at him! [image=http://foro.hardgame2.com/uploads/post-64-1147332267.jpg] And that was a few years ago.

20. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Bloody hell, it's Big Phil Scolari :eek:

:p

21. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    [face_laugh]

Patrick Stewart is old too, but they made him look young in X-Men 3
    It was easily possible to cast him, I just wondered why they did not

Still, Spacey is good, and I would be happy if he continued to play Luthor.
    I just hope he's not the main villain every time

22. JONJEDI

Nov 11, 2002
    :eek: OMG! It is! Look at this pic I found of him!

[image=http://members.tripod.com/~CARIART/Gene_Hackman.jpg]

23. Jedi General Gelderd

Mar 6, 2004
    Gene did great for the comical/weary side to Lex around his minions and his plans, but Kevin did amazing for his different version with harder minions and a more personal attack towards Superman and Lois.

=D=

24. Raj_Vader

Mar 28, 2005
    Hmm on reflection I guess Kevin's Lex was altogether more evil - which is important for a villain... :-B

I think the fact that some of his best lines were in the trailer sorta spoiled things a bit for me - was hoping for mor Luthor. Also did anyone else think that his 'ending' was not quite Superman-ish? I half expected him to be taken back to where he was meant to be...... without giving too much away to people who haven't seen it yet :p

25. Jedi General Gelderd

Mar 6, 2004
    I liked how Lex was left, it was far more open for future developments either way, instead of how we usually expect to see him and thus we are expecting the same old introduction to him. This time it's different and he can go either way he wants!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.