main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Superman Returns (spoilers inside)

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by moogi_wan, Oct 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jamierichards

jamierichards Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 2002
    if... chronologically speaking,jason had been concieved during the sequence in superman two when superman/clark kentlost his powers,wouldn't he be born without and genetic trace of kal-els kryptonian heritage?
    and therefore not have any super powers?
    or was it the boat suddenly moving that caused the piano to crush the henchman?
    i'm confused...

2. GeneralGrievous1

GeneralGrievous1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 6, 2005
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

3. ObiWanCon

ObiWanCon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 15, 2004
    Well in Superman II is Superman turned into a human as in DNA wise or is he simple a Kryptonian on Earth with no powers because if he is Kryptonian with no powers as I believe he is then Jason would be half Kryptonian and therefore he would have super powers because of the yellow sun but if Superman was human as in DNA then Jason would not have super powers but then there's the possibility that Lois and Superman had sex after Superman II when Superman was fully powered.

EDIT: In Donners version of Superman II Lois & Superman sleep together before Superman loses his powers just thought I'd throw that in.

4. JONJEDI

JONJEDI Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 11, 2002
    I bought this question up saturday at a midlands meet. It's becuase Clark's genetic structure and DNA is still made up of someone from Krypton and carrys that inside him if you understand. He is basically a Kryptonion stripped of all his powers but he still carrys it inside him. (I think)

5. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    That makes sense

Like in X-men 3 when they supress the Mutant X Gene. It doesn't actually go away, it is just supressed. So powers go, but genes remain

Superman is not human, if he loses his powers he won't be human. He'd be like one cos he looks like one and has the same sort of metabolism, but he will still be Alien

6. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Way to hide spoilers [face_plain]

7. ObiWanCon

ObiWanCon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 15, 2004
  8. jamierichards

Nov 12, 2002
    but that's not what his kryptonian mum tells him in the fortress of solitude,in the scenes that precede him chopping in his powers.
    and the comparism with the xmen mutants is completely irrelevant as it's a totally different thing,altogether.
    sorry to be so anal about this but it's all bugging the hell out of me.

9. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Fair point

It was more to highlight the genes issue
    Obviously mutants are different to an Alien

10. Jedi General Gelderd

Jedi General Gelderd Jedi Master star 5

Mar 6, 2004
    I can't wait for the Richard Donner cut of Superman II out in November! That's going to clean a lot of issues, and I know that instead of his mother around, it will be Marlon Brando back as Jor-El when he wants to sacrifice his powers!

Oooooooooooh!

:D

11. jamierichards

Nov 12, 2002
    oooooooooh,indeed!
    :)
    pity,though...as susannah york was a right old ****!

12. Jedi General Gelderd

Mar 6, 2004
    o_O

Never thought so myself. You can't beat Jor-El tho for that 'authentic' Superman touch!

13. jamierichards

Nov 12, 2002
    whilst mulling over the finer plot points of my version of superman returns,i came to the conclusion that it would have been dramatuically better to have lois keep disappearing off at times during the film for some unexplained reason,only for it to be revealed in the final scene that she is a mother,etc.
    one of the things i didn't like about the son of superman idea is that it totally detracts from the 'ta-daa' factor of seeing superman return to the big screen.

14. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Yeah
    It doesn't make him the big-shot either, cos now someone else can do what he does

With perhaps not his weaknesses. not being a Kryptonian, would his son be immune to Kryptonite?

15. orn-free-tada

orn-free-tada Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 11, 2001
    I saw it again today ( on a date, which wasnt too great i must add :p )

However i realised something again. why on earth did Kal-El need a comet to crash to earth again?

16. Jedi General Gelderd

Mar 6, 2004
    It wasn't a comet, it was his spaceship!

He loves his dramatic enterances does our Kal-El, and burning through the atmosphere to the Smallville co-ordinates, it was a larrrrge comet-style impact (to the unknowing eye)!

[face_peace]

17. orn-free-tada

orn-free-tada Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 11, 2001
    lol.

But still. did he really need a space ship? couldnt he have just flown. for a "Super"
    man he sure sucks at piloting :p

18. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    [face_laugh]

True, if he can fly in space, why use a ship?

And where did he get it from?
    Surely he wouldn't still fit in the one he came to Earth as a baby in

19. odj_310388

odj_310388 Jedi Knight star 5

May 30, 2002
    It had an elasticated waist on it.

20. Jairen

Jairen Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2000
    All easily answered.

1) Superman's abilities come from our yellow Sun. Once he leaves the sphere of influence that it exerts he will lose his super abilities. i.e. he can't fly out of our solar system without the aid of a ship.

2) Having a ship is easy. The whole film centres around Lex using Kryptonian crystals to create stuff, he actual talks about being able to create technology, weapons, ships etc, of Kryptonian capability. Clearly Superman created such a ship using the crystals at his Fortress of Solitude before he left.

21. Ramble_Boba

Ramble_Boba Jedi Master star 5

May 13, 2002
    Superman can eat my head

22. Jairen

Jairen Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2000
    You know what, he probably could Ramble, but I'm not sure you're his taste. I haven't seen anything in the mythos to indicate he has a taste for human flesh (I was gonna say cannibalism, however he's not human) :p

23. Ramble_Boba

Ramble_Boba Jedi Master star 5

May 13, 2002
    LMAO

At 4am you made me laugh, that is some acheivement, and not only that but you stayed factual to the superhero, a round of appluase

24. Jedi General Gelderd

Mar 6, 2004
    :p

^^ what Phil said.

Superman has reasons for everything, you just have to look hard.

25. jamierichards

Nov 12, 2002
    ahh,who cares about superman anymore...
    there's going to be a BIG LUCASFILM SPONSORED STAR WARS CONVENTION IN LONDON!!!!!!!
    WOO-HOOOOOO!!!
    that said,the kid did seem awful scared of that kryponite luthor waved in front of his face.
    and talking of crysatls... couldn't he have built a super-telescope and radar system and just looked through it to see if there were any kryptonain survivors around?
    even though he was told by his father that he was the last...except for the kryptonian super-villains... and the kryptonians from supergirl... and...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.