main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Superman Returns (spoilers inside)

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by moogi_wan, Oct 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moogi_wan

moogi_wan Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 12, 2005
    As the creator of this thread i think it be only polite that i give my reaction:

I walked into the cinema half an hour before the film was due to start(this way we could get good seats). I just want to point out that i've been a fan of Superman since I was four years old (19 years for those of you counting). The guys I went with knew that I was a huge fan so they were expecting WOOOS! and YEAHS! and the like, not so. When the Warner Brothers logo played the strands to 'As Time Goes By' (I love Casablanca), I was getting a little giddy, but i calmed myself. Then the Krypton theme started...my mouth had never been wider...until about one minute later when the opening credits started...

SUPERMAN RETURNS? SUPERMAN NEVER LEFT! This film surpassed every expectation, I loved it like I was four years old again. 19 years is a long time, but it felt like no time had passed. This is why I love Superman, everything in this film struck a cord in me that the original did when I watched it for the first time.

2. Jedi General Gelderd

Jedi General Gelderd Jedi Master star 5

Mar 6, 2004
    :D

And yeah, my goodness, wasn't that THE best way to open a film?! That sombre music and the prologue writing? It was so heartfelt reading and hearing it, and then with Jor-El..and then Krypton...and then BOOM! The titles!! The music!

Sorry...but that opening surpassed my expectations and did more for me than EPIII.

[face_whistling]

3. odj_310388

odj_310388 Jedi Knight star 5

May 30, 2002
    Just saw it again today, such a great opening and such a great ending to the movie. It gets better every time I see it.

4. Jedi General Gelderd

Mar 6, 2004
  5. DarthArsenal6

DarthArsenal6 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 16, 2001
    everything did better than Ep3 even spice world and Star trek nemisis

6. Jedi General Gelderd

Mar 6, 2004
  7. jamierichards

jamierichards Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 2002
    what it boils down to is this...
    i thought superman returns was a poor attempt at continuing the legacy of the richard donner/christopher reeve superman films.
    the plot,such as it was,was all over the place... and kate bosworth was about the worst piece of casting EVER since the bird in batman begins.
    are they doing a special offer on actresses called kate/katie to balls up superhero event pictures?
    brandon routh was excellent as christopher reeve playing clark kent.
    but it felt like i was watching richard donners superman greatest hits.
    and when they replicated the closing shot of superman looking directly at the camera as he swooped across the night sky... my heart sank.
    it is truly great to see seigel aned shusters iconic creation back on the big screen where it belongs-sorry smallville,but despite the rave reviews it has been recieving,i say no,to brian singer... no!
    enough,now... go and make another film.
    let someone else have a crack at the big blue.

8. DewbackRider88

DewbackRider88 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    Finally!! Someone who shares my opinion of the film.

I saw it today and was bitterly dissapointed. There were a few very good scenes (opening credits, plane rescue, any scene with spacey) But the **** far out ways the greatness.

I went in wanting this film to be the best superman, best comic film, best film of the year, but it was none of those things. The little kid annoyed me sensless (like any young kid in a film) and kate bosworth was ver miscast. Routh was SUPURB as kent/supes, but even his performance couldnt save the film for me. It was too soppy. I know the superman films are about a relationship and about heart, but this was too much. I think having a director who loves the big man so much was a mistake, cause he obviously went overboard with his geekness. His xmen films were awsome, so it wasnt his directing. It was just his over abundense (sp) of love for the source material. I know that if i made a star wars film, it would be atrocious, cause my fandom would get in the way.

Superman 1 and 2 still rule the school. Superman returned....Superman dissapointed.

9. Lord-Tice

Lord-Tice Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2001
    lol, Jamie:the harshest film critic known to man ;)
    I admire your brutal honesty though, and I'm sure you have some valid points....I'll be seeing it tomorrow morning :D

Thanks for the IMAX lowdown Obi_Wan_Gelderd. Sounds great and I'm gald they have a large chunk in 3D.

I was waiting for your reaction moogi_wan, and I'm actually quite chuffed you weren't disappointed.

Will post my reactions tomorrow.

10. GeneralGrievous1

GeneralGrievous1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 6, 2005
    Mixed reactions so far then. Half of you think it was the best thing ever and the other half are disappointed.

I should be seeing it tomorrow.

11. ObiWanCon

ObiWanCon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 15, 2004
    I've got so much time that I counted the people who have seen Superman Returns and commented on it in this thread and the count comes to 10 and out of that number 6 loved it, 3 didn't like it, and one was mixed so far a very positive view :D:D:D

12. ForceGhostOfCozmic

ForceGhostOfCozmic Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 25, 2005
    Well if people go into a film with VERY high expectations, thier bound to be disappointed.
    I wasn't planing on going to see this movie but since I had free tickets I thought I'd give it a shot and as I've said, it wasn't a bad film at all. I liked how it feels apart of the Donner/Reeves movies.

Wonder if they'll bring Doomsday to the big screen [face_praying]

13. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Well, Lex Luthor can't be the Villain in every movie, that would get boring

However, since Superman died defeating Doomsday, it is not likely they'll feature him until they get bored with the franchise and want to end the Man of Steel

14. ObiWanCon

Apr 15, 2004
    I think for the next movie it's got to be BRAINIAC.

15. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    That would be interesting

16. jamierichards

Nov 12, 2002
    now here's the thing...
    brainiac,you say... interesting,you say...
    to whom,exactly?
    mainstream audiences aren't going to know brainiac from a hole in the ground...
    and that's supes biggest downfall imo,his distinct lack of a decent rogues gallery.
    but i digress...
    and as for being part of the donner/reeve movies...!
    no,no,no...
    are we,the audience,to assume so much that is explained off-screen,so to speak...?
    or are we to read the novelisation and the comic books and suchlike to fill in the gaps...
    i knew this film was going to be something when i saw the costume for the first time.
    no 'S' symbol on the cape,cos it would make it hard to animate???
    what a cop-out answer.
    why not try,you lazy ****!!!
    that bugged me...

Removed profanity

17. jamierichards

Nov 12, 2002
    i tell you,i could have done a better superman returns than bryan singer... and i was thinking that all the way through the film.
    and that's a bad thing,when that happens.

18. ObiWanCon

Apr 15, 2004

No offence but I don't think so.

19. Jedi General Gelderd

Mar 6, 2004
    It seems to me, back in 1978, Superman I was THE first decent and original comic book hero to come to the silver screen and it had everything people wanted. Action, adventure, romance, comedy. It was a winning formula. That formula was more then present in Superman Returns, but the audience has dramatically changed with their comic book hero. For instance:

Spiderman 1 & 2, Batman Begins, Batman, Batman Returns, Batman Forever, Batman And Robin, Rocketeer, Hulk, Daredevil, X-Men, X-Men 2, X-Men 3, Blade, Blade II, Blade Trinity, Captain America, Catwoman etc...some great, some bad...you get my point how many other heros and ways of movie making have come out since the first Superman.

People either want lots of daft CGI action and no romance, others want romance and limited, mind-blowing action. Others hate emotion in their 'invunerable' hero, some love the humane side. People want their hero to be bad at the same time, which I don't understand wanting, and some (like me) want their comic book hero to be all good (ie: Superman).

Superman Returns had the weight of Superman I on its back and carrying along everything the film stood for to audiences back then. Now, we just have got more and more heros to set standards too, and forget that Superman was something special, and still is.

Superman Returns was a great film and had the things we loved from Superman I and II. Some people just can't see it now. In years to come, it will be looked on with the same admiration as Donnor and Reeve's epic.

[face_peace]

20. ObiWanCon

Apr 15, 2004
    Obi_Wan_Gelderd =D==D==D==D=

21. Jedi General Gelderd

Mar 6, 2004
    [face_talk_hand]

Well that's what I've felt for ages...and it gets to me that there's this..benchmark somewhere and the humane films seems to get put below it! NOT ANYMORE! Superman is BACK!

And as I sit here writing this, I listen to the Superman Returns score and find my self thinking verrrrry hard as to another Superhero or franchise which has got a theme tune or score that holds up as much myth, excitement, meaning and passion for storytelling as the Superman themes. Bloody fantastic way of setting the standard I think for a REAL superhero!

[face_flag]

[face_peace]

22. Jedi General Gelderd

Mar 6, 2004
    Attention UK Fans! 2:30pm Today...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...On Channel 5, as part of the Super-Hero Weekend, they are showing:

"Look, Up In The Sky: The Amazing Story Of Superman" documentary followed by Superman: The Movie!

And I was one thinking I'd never be able to see the US made Superman documentary! So set those VCRs and DVDs, in 55mins, on Channel 5...an afternoon of Superman!!

Hope you all get to see it!

:D

23. odj_310388

odj_310388 Jedi Knight star 5

May 30, 2002
    Hahaha thats freaking hillarious, everyone thinks they could do better but I bet you would make it worse.

24. orn-free-tada

orn-free-tada Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 11, 2001

See post below

25. orn-free-tada

orn-free-tada Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 11, 2001
    Mostof the time sure, However I went in thinking the character and the original two flicks were Okay/good. so I came out of the cinema dissapointed with no real expectations.

The titels were great though, gotta say however there was one thing in the titiles that made me say "Oh god, NO!" When the name 'Jon Peters' came up ..

Here's why ( Bad language)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.