main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Support thread for those who love to write OT characters!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Princess1, Jan 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Princess1

Princess1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 3, 2001
    So, anyone other then me who just loves the orignal characters? Who thinks theres nothing better then a good Han and Leia romance! For those who love to play around with AU storys in the orginal trilogy, and much more, this is the place for you! So, come on in! Post a short story, talk about your orignal trilogy character/story. Have fun!

2. Liz Skywalker

Liz Skywalker Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 13, 2000
    hmm...I need some support.

I have an AU Luke story started up called "Chatting Up Darkness". I began it a year ago next month. It's still in a semi-finished form. I just can't get the urge to finish it. :( What should I do???

3. Princess1

Dec 3, 2001
    Well, I know how that is, getting tired of the same stuff over and over agian, this often leads to half finished projects. But if I were you I wouldn't give up, if your getting board with your story, try making your next up date more exciting or something.

Or, if your running out of ideas/insperation, get someone to help you with plot ideas, etc. Actualy, if this is what you need, I'd be glad to help! :)

4. Liz Skywalker

Jun 13, 2000
    ok, then. specific problem: I alway write exactly the same thing! I've had feedback from my first post that Lukie's gonna turn to the Dark Side. s/o asked how she knew and she replied that all my stories are like that. And it's true. Lukie turns. and he seems to be turning in exactly the same ways! :mad:

5. Darth_Fruitcake

Darth_Fruitcake Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2001
    I've written one or two OT fics, my fave being (shameless plug alert) :

Surviving Fate: an OT rewrite

Basically, it's a story with Padme tied in as one of the Rebellion's leaders. Read it ;)

And Liz, I read Chatting Up Darkness, and don't let it die. It's amazing.

6. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    I love the OT character's and it is getting harder and harder to find Their stories on the boards now. I blame Del Rey for this, putting the emphasis on Han and Leia's kids and hardly developing the adults.

7. Kitt327

Kitt327 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    "I'm with you too!"

The OT characters are so much fun to write. I started writing an OT AU fanfic in May last year, thinking it would be just one short story, and before I knew it, it had turned into a series (on ff.net). It's funny when you first start writing fanfic, and you think you'll just write one, but then you find out how much fun it is and just can't stop!

There's a big gap between ANH and Empire in which you don't see many fics being written. I'd love to read an Leia/Luke/Han/Chewie + droids adventure fic set in this time. Can anyone recommend one?

8. Princess1

Dec 3, 2001
    Hi! Nice to yah all! It really bugs me how in the NJO they seem to have forgotten the orignal characters. But I think one reason theres not as many fan fics on the boards is because sometimes it seems like everythings allready been done. But of course thats not true, theres always more to write!

LIZ: How is it that Luke always turns?
    But maybe you should have him almost turn, but not quite, make it really dramatic. Or, heres a weird choice, leave your readers wondering if he turned or not, make it suspenseful ending.

9. Liz Skywalker

Jun 13, 2000
    But maybe you should have him almost turn, but not quite, make it really dramatic. Or, heres a weird choice, leave your readers wondering if he turned or not, make it suspenseful ending.

I tried that. they yelled at me enough and one of my fave authors threatened me by PM that if I didn't continue, she wouldn't either and she had just left off on a cliff. [face_plain]

how Luke turns, or, the classic mode:

1) Luke is a normal kid. or he's a rebel. It's basiclaly the same thing. He's naive.

2) He learns the Force, or at least of it.

3) Vader captures him.

4) Through either coercion (not my prefered method for the simple reason that I'm really terrible at writing it) or persaution, Luke beings to see Vader's way of thinking.

5) Luke must confront his past either in the form of friends or a past Jedi Master. He overcomes this obstacle.

5a) in some fics, he doesn't. he returns to the Light, only to turn back to Vader after completing his origional mission. then on to 6)

5b) in some fics, he doesn't. he is killed in the attempt and his friends/Jedi Master mourn him as someone who was corrupted by Vader. In other cases, Luke kills himself instead of killing his friends. Same outcome. In this case, the story is over and you don't go on.

6) Vader congragulates Luke on a job well done. The fics usually end here.

7) Some go on to Luke meeting Mara. Most of these end with Luke marrying Mara.

8) In some fics, Luke and Vader team up to kill Palpatine. this is the normal way of doing it if Luke was a rebel.

9) SJ's version, and she's the predominate one to use this method (I don't think I've read anyone do it as well as she does), is that Luke serves the Emperor, Vader just being an extension of his will. Either way, the story is over and Luke is effectively a Dark Sider.

10. Princess1

Dec 3, 2001
    Yikes! Well you don't want any of your readers to do that! So how about this:

How about Luke and Mare somehow team up and kill both Vader and the Emperor, and take over the Empiree together. (but that ones kinda weird)

Or maybe the Emperor tricks Luke into turning through Mara, and she kind of, brings him twoard the dark side (becuase thats what her master ordered) by tricking him to fall in love with her,and bringing him over to the side of the Empire etc. (something like that anyway) And so Luke kills Vader and takes his fathers place with the Emperor,and marries Mara and they both serve their dark master.

Ok, sorry if these are freaky ideas, I've never done much of that kind of fic. I'm afriad I'm a incureable romance writer (Han/Leia etc.) If any of my ideas don't make sense, I'll be glad to explain them. :)

11. Princess1

Dec 3, 2001
  12. Neon Star

Neon Star Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2000
    Even though I am retiring for the next couple of months or so.... I have written numerous OT stories. It really is sad that their stories are getting less and less. And to think when May comes, I doubt we'll be seeing more then one or two. :(
    But I really do love writing them. Glad to see some others do as well!

13. Princess1

Dec 3, 2001
    Hi NeonStar! Nice to see yah! Yeah, it is sad the way theres less and less orignal trilogy stories out there, I'm not currently working on one, but after I finish my current story, that ones next!

14. TwilightKat

TwilightKat Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 12, 2001
    I don't read many OT fics anymore - shame on me! - but here's some ideas if u want them:

It might have been done before, but why not have *Luke* come to Vader of his own free will, instead of being coerced in some way.
    He could find out that Vader was his father somehow either during his rebellion time, or when with his 'aunt' and 'uncle'
    ...or even just be really angry at his fellow Rebels/shunned by them, and the 'darkside' not look as bad to him.

Here's something AU: the emperor doesn't even exist or has died before Luke comes into the picture...[shrugs] prob has been done again, ah well.

Mara becomes Empress after Palp's death in ROTJ? His legacy in a way...

Oh, here's one that hit me out of the blue; Leia was a spy for the Empire inside them Rebellion...*that* has possibilities...

[wry grin] perhaps u should add 'bunny adoption centre' to the title Princess...

[face_love] Kat

15. Princess1

Dec 3, 2001
    Hi Kat! Shame on you, why'd you stop reading OT stuff? (grins) just joking, thats ok. ;)

16. Padawan_Di-Lee

Padawan_Di-Lee Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 15, 2000
    I LOVE the OT characters! All my plot bunnies have always revolved around them, but I've only gotten the courage to start writing one down recently. And despite what original character folks say, using established characters in your fic is NOT easy! But it is fun. :D

I've given up once again on the EU, in large part due to how they, as a group, have handled the OT & Zahn favorites. So now I need an extra fix from the fanfic community!

Luke/Vader fics are my all time favorites, especially if there are some good dark undertones and struggles in the mix. (Liz, I really liked CUD, and I hope you get back to it. :) ) I also like just good ol' plain adventures involving almost any mix of the OT gang in almost any timframe, but I especially like stories set in between ANH and ESB. Please point me in the direction of any good fics that fit that description, and I'll be happy to do the same for you. :)

17. Princess1

Dec 3, 2001
    Well, if you like reading mush, "Of Love and Marriage" is a good, Han and Leia fic set in between ANH and ESB.

18. Kitt327

Kitt327 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    Any of you who are into fics starring Luke and Vader, a group of us Luke/Vader writers from ff.net have just got together to start a new yahoo mailing list. Check it out here if you're interested.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Luke_Vader/

e: oh, and anyone who loves OT humor, this has to be read write now:

A Boonta Eve Tale

19. Padawan_Di-Lee

Oct 15, 2000
    Princess1 - Well, I'm not really into mush, unless there's a bigger plot or more character development going on and the mush is mainly background. I'll try to check it out though.

Kitt327 - I checked out the Luke_Vader site, but once I got there I couldn't get past the home page. :( None of the links were active except to join or sign in. Do I have to join the group to be able to navigate??

20. MariahJade2

Mar 18, 2001
    Kitt327- I'm currently working on a Luke/Vader fic, but unfortunately I don't have time for another group. If I can finish it before my hair all turns grey, I hope to be posting it on the boards. Hope you will all read. :)

Hey Di-Lee, Tell Vader to stop messing with my mind. I have half of his post done and he keeps making it longer. I hate it when characters won't cooperate. ;)

21. Padawan_Di-Lee

Oct 15, 2000
    Oh, and that's a GOOD fic Mariah's working on. I'm the lucky beta reader. :D

Well, Mariah, I try to get Vader to stop messing with your mind if you'll tell him to start talking to me about a little "missing scene" from my fic I'm working on. ;)

22. Princess1

Dec 3, 2001
    Sounds like some characters aren't behaving, I hate it when they do that! Sometimes they just won't behave! (grins) When I write any orignal trilogy character story, it some how always ends up FULL of Han and Leia mush! And I swear that I had nothing to do with it! The characters start writing the story all by their selves! (really honest!)

23. MariahJade2

Mar 18, 2001
    Yes Princess they really need to be punished for such unruly behavior. Di-Lee, Vader and I had a talk and I expressed my displeasure with him for giving you the cold shoulder.
    <hold's Vader's mechanical hand that I happened to sliced off> I think he will be more talkative now. :)

24. Princess1

Dec 3, 2001
    Yikes! I'd be more talktive to if someone cut my hand off!

25. Princess1

Dec 3, 2001
    Did everyone leave?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.