main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Survey -- best Film soundtrack ever

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Mastadge, Feb 9, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I just watched Glory. Must say, James Horner did a magnificent job with that theme. Sends chills down my spine. Great music, great movie.

2. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    ESB at #1??

ESB might be everyone's favorite SW film but is the score better than ROTJ's?? ROTJ has original scores PLUS ESB and ANH scores. The best of all four most definitely. I agree with Nathan's list to that extent.

1. ROTJ

2. ANH

3. ESB

4. TPM

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  3. Demosthenes_Locke

Demosthenes_Locke Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 26, 2001
    5)Thin Red Line
    4)Glory
    3)ET
    2)Raiders of the Lost Arc
    1)ANH/ESB/ROTJ/TPM

4. MoronDude

MoronDude Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 1, 2000
    What about the Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey Soundtrack! "God gave rock and roll to ya'"

Also, I really like the Man on the Moon sundtrack!

5. Lord Mauly Mall

Lord Mauly Mall TFN/JC Banner Artist Team star 7 VIP

Oct 21, 1999
    Ooh, Mast ranked Conan as #1... I just got the DVD and the friggin' audio is in MONO! Good God allmighty what were they thinking. Still a great score.

Although my choice for best soundtrack ever goes to ESB:SE. I was just listening to it today at work. I've never heard something so complex, delirious, disturbing, magnificant, beautiful, enlightening, and epic as the music for this movie. If you can compare something like this to Sgt. Pepper's(ie. the best of a certain group), the ESB soundtrack is John Williams' Sgt. Pepper. It could fuel a rocket to Pluto and back.

6. AlCool

AlCool Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 22, 2000
    ESB - Best film soundtrack ever. You can listen to it and see the movie in your head.

ANH - almost as good, especially the opening titles, Ben's Death and the Imperial Attack theme (the pre-Imperial March Imperial theme).

ROJ - not so hot. Only the Vader vs Luke snippet really does it for me (with the possible addition of the unused Funeral for a Jedi theme - best use of the Force theme ever - even better than Luke staring into the Suns), but it's the best piece of music in all of the movies. You listen to that and you have no doubt that Luke is the Man.

Cutthroat Island - superb soundtrack, absolutely superb. Even little bits of Force theme tucked in there (track 3 I think). Go get it! John Debney (and the whole Davi Arnold thing).

Raiders of the Lost Ark - the Map Room - ooh.

TPM - it's weak, I think (I especially despise the main fanfare of Panaka and the Queen's Protectors, although parts of it are cool). This soundtrack shows how JW has developed away from a theme and leitmotif style (probably just used for SW anyway). Not as sucky as Jurassic Park though.

Superman - fairly bland action music, but the love theme (not the narrated one), the main theme and the Krypton bits are so brilliant that they all belong in a Star Wars movie - and how I wish they were in there somewhere.

I quite like Stargate, although the main theme is weak.

Starship Troopers has a few good marches and really makes you want to join up - Basil Poledouris should get more work.

Why are soundtracks so flippin' expensive?

7. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    I love Jurassic Park! Not as good as the Star Wars soundtracks and a little lower than the Indiana Jones soundtrack.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  8. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    Immortal Beloved. The only soundtrack done entirely by Beethoven ;)

9. Ternian

Ternian Jedi Youngling star 4

May 16, 2000
    Color Purple
    Titanic
    Gone with the Wind
    Star Wars
    Cider House Rules

Ternian :D

10. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    The best movie score ever was Schindler's List. A very moving score to accompany a very moving film. And I have to agree Immortal Beloved was great also. :)

11. Sarah

Sarah Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 18, 1999
    Very hard to put in any actual order...
    of course I love the SW soundtracks, and I love to listen to them...
    I also like Dance With Me (Latin dance music) for when I need to really light a fire under my tail and get a lot of work done.
    Shakespeare in Love is fun because the music is in the right order, and it's so luscious. I saw the movie enough times that listening to the music, I can see it in my mind's eye.
    Apollo 13 and Pleasantville are also good for getting work done.
    I don't have a whole lot of soundtracks, like some folks here (!!) but I do also like Full Monty, La Bamba, Mask of Zorro (except the music is out of order, grr!) and Six Days, SEven Nights (again, out of order, what is wrong with these people!? it's not rocket science!)
    I'll have to visit the library and check out some of the recommendations here... I haven't seen all the movies that you guys so love the soundtracks of.

12. Stargasior

Stargasior Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 6, 2001
    The Empire Strikes Back

13. Erin Kenobi

Erin Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 30, 2000
    5. Anna and the King
    4. The Phantom Menace
    3. A New Hope
    2. The Empire Strikes Back
    1. Return of the Jedi

14. NoCoolName_Tom

NoCoolName_Tom Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 12, 2001
    It's very difficult for me to put these in order, but here goes:

1. Star Wars Trilogy
    2. Hook
    3. Jurassic Park
    4. The Lost World (the soundtrack, not the movie)
    5. Glory
    6. Apollo 13
    7. Braveheart
    8. The Last Crusade
    9. The Thirteenth Warrior
    10. Back to the Future

15. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Immortal Beloved had great sound and acting, but it was one of the most crushingly depressing movies EVER

16. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    1. The Empire Strikes Back - John Williams.
    2. Star Wars - John Williams.
    3. Gladiator - Hans Zimmer.
    4. Total Recall - Jerry Goldsmith.
    5. Star Trek: The Motion Picture - Jerry Goldsmith.
    6. Crimson Tide - Hans Zimmer.
    7. Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country - Cliff Eidelman
    8. Conan The Barbarian - Basil Poledouris
    9. Star Trek: The Next Generation - The Best of Both Worlds - Ron Jones
    10. Sneakers - James Horner

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.